color
clarity

Why is PS slower than 10 yrs ago?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1412393275|3761804 said:
So Karl, if you could post at will what would you post? :naughty:
rofl Kenny ...................................
lime pie.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna be completely honest, I have been told that I was acting like a net nanny by a few posters on FB. And I probably was at one point. I stopped posting here because I truly did feel like sometimes there was way too much aggressive behavior on here and that some posters came across very holier than thou, and there really was no end in site for that kind of behavior. It was very unappealing to me. I stopped posting for a while and started again recently. I chose to start again because I've come to accept that no matter what forum you're on, tone gets lost completely. You either accept that and take what people say with a grain of salt or not. As Monnie posted, simply stating you are feeling vulnerable or even being clear that someone is offending you, or that you feel personally attacked is FINE. Just say it. The 'pile ons' do seem to stop when someone just stops fronting and is honest that feelings are being hurt. If I choose to post something here asking for advice in the future, I have no problem asking people to take it easy on me. This conversation comes up so often and there continues to be a divide on it. We're never gonna agree on it. And I'm ok with that.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1412393416|3761807 said:
Karl_K|1412392998|3761801 said:
Mara was averaging 20 posts a day a me around 10 per day and Alj was around 15 and that was around a quarter of all posts in a day.

What about me? Do you have any statistics on me?

Deb
:saint:

hmm as I recall you were kinda sporadic in your posting.
I don't recall any specific numbers for you.
Some days a lot then not much for a while then a lot.
The reason I know mine and Mara's and Alj's was there was a thread about it back then and for some reason it stuck in my head that we were the top 3 and our numbers.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1412393926|3761814 said:
kenny|1412393275|3761804 said:
So Karl, if you could post at will what would you post? :naughty:
rofl Kenny ...................................
lime pie.

Oh Drats!
Foiled again. ;(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1412394294|3761823 said:
AGBF|1412393416|3761807 said:
Karl_K|1412392998|3761801 said:
Mara was averaging 20 posts a day a me around 10 per day and Alj was around 15 and that was around a quarter of all posts in a day.

What about me? Do you have any statistics on me?

hmm as I recall you were kinda sporadic in your posting.
I don't recall any specific numbers for you.
Some days a lot then not much for a while then a lot.
The reason I know mine and Mara's and Alj's was there was a thread about it back then and for some reason it stuck in my head that we were the top 3 and our numbers.

Yeah...I was hoping for a mention, but my numbers were always low. I just never talked a lot. It took me many, many years to get to 10,000 postings while chatty little Mara did it overnight. :devil:

Deb

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1412394610|3761827 said:
Yeah...I was hoping for a mention, but my numbers were always low. I just never talked a lot. It took me many, many years to get to 10,000 postings while chatty little Mara did it overnight. :devil:

Deb
I have always enjoyed talking to you!
Even when we disagree on politics!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412393572|3761809 said:
monarch64|1412388845|3761776 said:
kenny|1412387252|3761764 said:
Bunny007|1412385577|3761752 said:
PS is dreadfully boring these days. The more interesting topics are censored and the rest involve:

What's your favorite pizza topping?
Where do you buy your toilet brush?
How many times a week do you floss your teeth?

And so on... :|

Bunny in 4.5 years you've only started 5 threads.
So, think up and start some interesting threads. :dance:

Time for Bunny to get Hopping! :lol:

Kenny, she did post a really interesting/provocative thread once. It was quickly removed, and I cannot remember why, but it must have violated some rule. Anyway, I think she shied away from the forums due to that and who can blame her? She shared a bit of personal information and maybe felt freaked out that she opened herself up and then the thread was removed. I just remember being shocked that it was removed and shaking my head.

You and DF are among the few who really get away with provocative threads here. I don't have an opinion on that one way or another, but it seems to be a phenomenon. I know you guys have had your share of threads pulled, but when I think back, it seems like a lot of what you guys post is kept around, even though if it was posted by anyone else it would be yanked immediately. Hmm... :naughty:

Not so fast there, gofriend. ;-)
My stuff gets yanked too.
Just last week my thread about wanting a woman for president was yanked and I got spanked.
I think Ella is pretty unbiased when it comes to gender.

Apparently DF and I just have balls. :o

See M64, I just got spanked again. ;(
Maybe I need a sex change so I don't get moderated. :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1412392114|3761795 said:
Gypsy|1412371254|3761639 said:
smitcompton|1412354634|3761413 said:
Hi,
Once, after such a pounding one poster said she "loathed" the other poster. In fact Gypsy, AJ Deco and others were the pounders. It wasn't a decent discussion, you were killers, and enjoyed it. Then when the poster leaves, you call her a whiner. There are times you should stop.

And there you have it. Aldj and I and other posters were speaking in general statements. Keeping it civil and polite. But we get personally attacked and accused of bullying. When actually... this post is the bullying post.

Thank you smitcompton for proving my point perfectly. You claim we are the bullies. But your post is the most bullying post of this thread so far. And that means I am out of the discussion entirely. I have no reason to sit here and be personally attacked.
"Were Killers" "Enjoyed it" "Pounders". All suppositions and/or personal, name-calling attacks. Cosign Gypsy. I'm never here anymore and this is why. Have fun w/the "boredom".

:wavey:

Yup. Not surprised. I know a TON of great posters that don't post because they don't want to be net nanny-ed to death. It's like being pecked to death by chickens clucking "nice, nice, nice." One peck doesn't bother you but a flock of them absolutely does and takes the joy out of posting.

I miss you Deco. We don't always agree, but like family we always work through it.
More people have left because of this than any supposed 'pile ons' caused by people like me and Aldj and you Deco.

Do you remember the Delusional Echo Chamber? Can you imagine how many posters would peck you to death if you posted that now? It wasn't nice. But it was insightful and helpful. And genuine.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1412395136|3761830 said:
AGBF|1412394610|3761827 said:

I have always enjoyed talking to you!
Even when we disagree on politics!

You know it is mutual. :)) You are one of the kind people. Kind and smart, too. Uh...despite some of your political ideas. (Other political ideas of yours I do not disagree with, actually.)

Deb

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like this is the amnesty/hugs thread for Friday night!!!

Love you all. Even if we make each other feel like :wall: !

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1412396200|3761837 said:

Remember the threads that would last only 24 hours?

Deb ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412395216|3761831 said:
kenny|1412393572|3761809 said:
monarch64|1412388845|3761776 said:
kenny|1412387252|3761764 said:
Bunny007|1412385577|3761752 said:
PS is dreadfully boring these days. The more interesting topics are censored and the rest involve:

What's your favorite pizza topping?
Where do you buy your toilet brush?
How many times a week do you floss your teeth?

And so on... :|

Bunny in 4.5 years you've only started 5 threads.
So, think up and start some interesting threads. :dance:

Time for Bunny to get Hopping! :lol:

Kenny, she did post a really interesting/provocative thread once. It was quickly removed, and I cannot remember why, but it must have violated some rule. Anyway, I think she shied away from the forums due to that and who can blame her? She shared a bit of personal information and maybe felt freaked out that she opened herself up and then the thread was removed. I just remember being shocked that it was removed and shaking my head.

You and DF are among the few who really get away with provocative threads here. I don't have an opinion on that one way or another, but it seems to be a phenomenon. I know you guys have had your share of threads pulled, but when I think back, it seems like a lot of what you guys post is kept around, even though if it was posted by anyone else it would be yanked immediately. Hmm... :naughty:

Not so fast there, gofriend. ;-)
My stuff gets yanked too.
Just last week my thread about wanting a woman for president was yanked and I got spanked.
I think Ella is pretty unbiased when it comes to gender.

Apparently DF and I just have balls. :o

See M64, I just got spanked again. ;(
Maybe I need a sex change so I don't get moderated. :naughty:

Kenny, I appreciate everything you've brought to PS whether it's made people/me uncomfortable or not. I think you're a great person. I'm glad you're here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1412392279|3761796 said:
smitcompton|1412354634|3761413 said:
Hi,

The disagreements, or opposing opinions in discussions, cause a problem because some people are relentless in continuing to state their opposition. It seems to me that there are people who won't withdraw. So, if we happen to have a pile-on, which frequently happens, it feels and looks like a pounding against a poster. Once, after such a pounding one poster said she "loathed" the other poster. In fact Gypsy, AJ Deco and others were the pounders. It wasn't a decent discussion, you were killers, and enjoyed it. Then when the poster leaves, you call her a whiner. There are times you should stop.

Some people do feel superior, and need to deride others who are more able than they are. They can continue to feel superior at someone elses expense. The internet is not the best place for learning or good discussion. Too many variables with people behind a screen. I read some posts from some people. I do read Packrat, as I feel she is genuine, as Ksinger is as well.

My suggestion is, by all means disagree, but don't continue en masse to pound another.

I think I know what bothers me most about this posting and it is that it is totally subjective. Annette writes that some people are relentless, some people won't withdraw, some people pound, some people are killers. She writes that there are times when you should stop; that some people (she names two) are genuine; that some people need to deride others. But she never gives us any rules for conduct that apply to everyone.

That's not fair. It's as if Annette and only Annette is able to sit in judgement and see what is true and good on Pricescope and which posters are genuine (and which are phoney?). If she wants to set some rules for fair discussion she should set them, not sit there pronouncing.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

That's because, as you can see, clearly Annette is allowed to behave any way she wants. And she can personally attack people in threads like this one and that's okay. The rules, whatever they are, clearly don't apply to her.

What Annette and others like her need to realize is she is not a moderator. And nothing she does can make that so.

We have moderators. I obey and respect them. And that is all I am required to do.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1412396357|3761838 said:

I'm bringing up those threads because this thread seems to be moving fairly quickly and those 24 hour threads used to race along with people posting huge amounts of personal data that they usually would not since they knew it would be deleted the next day. Those threads moved at the speed of light, the way the Election Debate Night threads moved. So quickly that one was hard pressed to keep up with them!

Deb

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. I have respect for Annette/Smitcompton, but I also have respect for Gypsy/AlJ/others Annette went after.

What Smitcompton did here today was blatant and pretty gross. I've done things here I haven't been proud of, but I've been punished and I've owned it. Smitcompton abused several posters today and that is just not right, sorry. People don't deserve to be trodden upon without reason.

Gypsy and all, sorry you had to deal with this crap.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1412396839|3761842 said:

I'm bringing up those threads because this thread seems to be moving fairly quickly and those 24 hour threads used to race along with people posting huge amounts of personal data that they usually would not since they knew it would be deleted the next day. Those threads moved at the speed of light, the way the Election Debate Night threads moved. So quickly that one was hard pressed to keep up with them!

Deb
Of course! I miss those threads, actually. I miss the genuine feelings that were shared in them. And I miss the truthfulness. They were nice.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Deb ;))

Those are awesome

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Autumnovember|1412397155|3761846 said:

Deb ;))

Those are awesome
There is a bunch of them still on google which is why they went away.
Deleting a thread does not delete it from the internet.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1412397583|3761850 said:

Deb ;))

Those are awesome

I don't remember a lot of the serious parts of those threads but I do remember the funny stuff in them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1412396459|3761839 said:
Kenny, I appreciate everything you've brought to PS whether it's made people/me uncomfortable or not. I think you're a great person. I'm glad you're here.
Wha wha wha what?

screen_shot_2014-10-03_at_9.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
? am I being the nice squad net nanny?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm one of the nicest posters on PS ... that is, in the ways that really matter ... real nice ... not fake nice.

Fake nice is easy.
Real nice is hard.

I think Karl is nice in the real way.
Karl has an extraordinarily sweet spirit.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1412398910|3761858 said:
I think I'm one of the nicest posters on PS ... that is, in the ways that really matter ... real nice ... not fake nice.

Fake nice is easy.
Real nice is hard.

I think Karl is nice in the real way.
Karl has an extraordinarily sweet spirit.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone, you will ruin my reputation for being the scary mean guy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="monarch64|
You and DF are among the few who really get away with provocative threads here. I don't have an opinion on that one way or another, but it seems to be a phenomenon. I know you guys have had your share of threads pulled, but when I think back, it seems like a lot of what you guys post is kept around, even though if it was posted by anyone else it would be yanked immediately. Hmm... :naughty:[/quote]

Not me!... :saint:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Deb ;))
Lets start one when Ella is :snore: ... :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Polite I think as just being nice, even if you don't agree w/someone. I'm polite to my MIL even tho I haven't the time of day for her. I'm polite to a lot of people I can't stand. Being polite isn't being genuine, it's just having common courtesy, which the whole world seems to be lacking these days.

I disagree withthe first sentence. Being nice to people you dislike is not the same as being polite. Being nice to those people is just that: being nice. Your last sentence. I do agree with. Exercising common courtesy and being well mannered is being polite. That said, I feel itis separate and distinct from being nice. It is quite easy to be polite while also being unkind or even mean. Politicians have it down to an artform.

As for who is or isn't a net nanny... If you've been called one the you might be. I don't keep a list and I call people on it when it occurs. I am very frank. If I think you are a net nanny you know it because I've called you on it to your face.

Polite is not synonymous with nice.
synonyms: well mannered, civil, courteous, mannerly, respectful, deferential, well behaved, well bred, gentlemanly, ladylike, genteel, gracious, urbane; More
tactful, diplomatic
"a very polite girl"
antonyms: rude

Above per google.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1412397583|3761850 said:

Those are awesome

If they were ended simply because they could not be completely deleted from the Internet, I think it is unfortunate. They could have been continued with a warning that Pricescope does not control the universe.

We always knew that deleting the threads from Pricescope wouldn't delete information from people's memories (if they had memories). (I mention memories in the way that I do because I lost mine years ago and I have trouble hanging onto routine information, let alone salacious gossip.) They were not, actually, safe. They were just not "in your face" right here.

Deb ;))

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And then there's the other kind of net nannies: the ones who get all bent out of shape if the thread goes off topic. Nowhere in the forum policies does it say anything about how on-topic posts within an individual thread must stay, but that doesn't stop these nannies from having little fits if someone taints a thread they deem precious.

Case in point:
A once regular poster, prolific during the heady glory days of PS, started a thread about a personal dilemma after years of being absent from PS. Her friends from back in the day, many of whom barely posted in Hangout anymore, appeared en masse to give her all sorts of advice. A relatively new member gave some advice that didn't sit well with some people and debate ensued. The new member was informed that she didn't know the whole story - as if a condition to posting on PS was to go find and read history from years ago or STFU. The new member apologized for some of her views, in light of the history she didn't know, but went on to keep explaining her point of view from her personal experiences. The net nannies had enough of her and her talking about herself! They let her know in no uncertain terms that she should stop posting in that thread.

Was this bullying? Well they certainly didn't think so, *their* net-nannying was important and necessary! They were old-guard, after all. They had to protect the formerly prolific poster, who by the way stopped posting on the thread at all, in her very vulnerable time. The newcomer got upset and wondered in print why she bothered being a member here. THEN one of the net-nannies started a new thread about doing that sort of thing in the middle of someone else's thread! That one got so ugly, with some old-timers that no one had seen in Hangout in quite a while coming on to tell the newcomer they didn't like her, that it was deleted.

The irony: that newcomer had been keeping things going in Hangout quite nicely. She left. Many of the net nannies that drove her away barely post at all anymore.

editd to add: I started this post before I went off to my exercise class and came back to finish and post much later. In this time, the VERY PEOPLE GUILTY OF THE NET NANNYING I speak of are complaining to each other about net-nannying. LOLOLOL! Pot, meet kettle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1412437054|3761971 said:
And then there's the other kind of net nannies: the ones who get all bent out of shape if the thread goes off topic. Nowhere in the forum policies does it say anything about how on-topic posts within an individual thread must stay, but that doesn't stop these nannies from having little fits if someone taints a thread they deem precious.

Case in point:
A once regular poster, prolific during the heady glory days of PS, started a thread about a personal dilemma after years of being absent from PS. Her friends from back in the day, many of whom barely posted in Hangout anymore, appeared en masse to give her all sorts of advice. A relatively new member gave some advice that didn't sit well with some people and debate ensued. The new member was informed that she didn't know the whole story - as if a condition to posting on PS was to go find and read history from years ago or STFU. The new member apologized for some of her views, in light of the history she didn't know, but went on to keep explaining her point of view from her personal experiences. The net nannies had enough of her and her talking about herself! They let her know in no uncertain terms that she should stop posting in that thread.

Was this bullying? Well they certainly didn't think so, *their* net-nannying was important and necessary! They were old-guard, after all. They had to protect the formerly prolific poster, who by the way stopped posting on the thread at all, in her very vulnerable time. The newcomer got upset and wondered in print why she bothered being a member here. THEN one of the net-nannies started a new thread about doing that sort of thing in the middle of someone else's thread! That one got so ugly, with some old-timers that no one had seen in Hangout in quite a while coming on to tell the newcomer they didn't like her, that it was deleted.

The irony: that newcomer had been keeping things going in Hangout quite nicely. She left. Many of the net nannies that drove her away barely post at all anymore.

editd to add: I started this post before I went off to my exercise class and came back to finish and post much later. In this time, the VERY PEOPLE GUILTY OF THE NET NANNYING I speak of are complaining to each other about net-nannying. LOLOLOL! Pot, meet kettle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a bad memory at this point in my life, Maria. I am not just "bragging" about that. I can almost never recall who said what to whom unless it was someone saying it to me. If someone hurts my feelings or insults me, I certainly remember who it was!

So in the thread you mention above I do not recall who any of the "culprits" were. (If we are going to say that the people "net-nannying" were on the wrong side of something, which I do not believe you actually did). I do recall who the poster was who dared to intervene in a thread in which the "backstory" was not totally known to her. She was someone of whom I had grown quite fond-as you seem to have. And I agree that she had given a lot to Hangout and was given a hard time here in the thread you discussed.

Was "net nannying" the root of the problem with that poster, though? I see why you chose that way of analyzing the matter. You are looking at the issue as outsiders intervening and confronting one poster.

I would have, had you not analyzed the problem as you did, however, looked at the issue more as a group of posters letting out pent-up anger at someone they had come to resent. I am not saying it was fair or right. It had a crowd mentality to it that was vigilante-like. But I have seen this phenomenon before. People suddenly turn on a poster and say, for instance, that she is the most "narcissistic" person who ever posted here or whatever. Once one person says it, everyone who had been mildly annoyed "piles on" as smitcompton put it. I don't think that is "net nannying" although-as I said- I think your analysis is valid, too.

Deb :read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria, Like Deb my memory is poor but I remember the 2 posters involved though I don't remember the others except for one who did something like this before. And ironically she hardly ever posts but she does (IMO) tend to be a bully when she does.

I do remember the OP and the relative newcomer who was not treated nicely at all IMO. If memory serves me correctly some here already disliked her because she got off on the wrong foot by appearing to be, as Deb put it, very narcissistic,clueless and insensitive about the suffering of others in the Boston Marathon bombing and also another incident about the death of a friend of hers in a separate incident. And from there on out it was war against her it seemed. I felt badly for her and though I could certainly see how she rubbed people the wrong way she tried to make amends. And a certain few just wouldn't allow her to or forgive her for that first bad impression.

Yeah, threads and experiences like that does give one an unpleasant feeling but fortunately it seems like those are few and far between. What I would have liked was if that poster had stayed and ignored those few who were being mean to her because there were others here who supported her. But she let them drive her away and ultimately that's her decision, her choice and she did what was right for her. But she could have stayed and stood her ground. Those ladies don't rule PS yanno? I think by far there are more nice people here than those who behave meanly. Just ignore the "mean" girls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results