shape
carat
color
clarity

why is platinum so much more than gold? is it really a rarer substance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Also, don''t forget that, unlike, say, titanium, platinum is a metal that has a long history in jewelry-making.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 11:21:52 AM
Author: Hest88
Also, don''t forget that, unlike, say, titanium, platinum is a metal that has a long history in jewelry-making.
Just thinking out loud - don''t know - I wonder if platinum is more of an anglo thing because of the color. i.e. a raven haired light skin, light eyes will look better in a silver colored metal?

And, again out loud, how long has platinum been used in jewelry - I''m certain it dates from the later part of the 19th century or so - but I''m not sure about beyond. When I look at the jewelry in our museum from the more ancient cultures - most are in gold.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock

"Steve answered the substance of your original question 11 minutes after it was initially poted. No one seems to be disputing his answer.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA"

Yes --I wasnt disputing it either just getting clarification as there were two warring opinions..............

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 12:26:37 PM
Author: crankydave

Date: 1/21/2005 11:30
6.gif
9 AM
Author: fire&ice

Date: 1/21/2005 11:21:52 AM
Author: Hest88
Just thinking out loud - don''t know - I wonder if platinum is more of an anglo thing because of the color. i.e. a raven haired light skin, light eyes will look better in a silver colored metal?

And, again out loud, how long has platinum been used in jewelry - I''m certain it dates from the later part of the 19th century or so - but I''m not sure about beyond. When I look at the jewelry in our museum from the more ancient cultures - most are in gold.
You might find this of interest...

http://r0.unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/platinum/characteristics.htm

Dave
Interesting read - though it says it was valued by the ancients - was it used in jewelry or adornment? I can''t recall seeing ancient jewelry in plat. Though, I may just not remember.

So, it seems platinum was a more anglo thing by default & not color choice. ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results