shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are our tax dollars going to fund other countries'' abortions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I wonder what kind of ruckus it would cause if the US basically said a big "screw you" to all the rest of the world, and did not give out any aid and did not do ANYTHING outside the borders of the US. Let''s see how ya like them apples. Oh, and that includes tourism dollars, and import/export, and filming on locations outside the US.....and on, and on.....see how dependant others are on the horrible US then.....

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 6:37:29 PM
Author: brooklyngirl

With that said, we, as inhabitants of a country that allows women to do as they please with their bodies, really have no right to judge, or deny medical care to women who live in countries where they''re not allowed to do as they please. Groups who provide medical care to women in impoverished nations don''t only provide abortions. Many times the care they provide is the only one that''s available to impoverished women, who have no reproductive choices. It''s morally reprehensible IMHO to deny these women their only source of health care because we don''t like that they''re given the choice to abort.

my thoughts exactly.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 12:42:17 PM
Author: trillionaire

With that said, we, as inhabitants of a country that allows women to do as they please with their bodies, really have no right to judge, or deny medical care to women who live in countries where they''re not allowed to do as they please. Groups who provide medical care to women in impoverished nations don''t only provide abortions. Many times the care they provide is the only one that''s available to impoverished women, who have no reproductive choices. It''s morally reprehensible IMHO to deny these women their only source of health care because we don''t like that they''re given the choice to abort.

+1000

movie zombie

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 12:08:11 PM
Author: starsapphire
You know, the thought just occured to me that the US is so big and all that, and we have been so wealthy and all, that the US is kinda like a rich Daddy to the world. All the smaller countries come to Daddy for handouts, and sometimes Daddy does not give enough, or plays favorites with others, and people throw a hissy fit. And sometimes Daddy has problems with others in the world family, and the other people have something to say about it. But they will never be in the position of Daddy, and they really have no say in what Daddy does.

That is a very simplistic overview as I am not at all inclined to read some of the rather "hi-falutent" material out there about politics.

Actually, I wonder what kind of ruckus it would cause if the US basically said a big "screw you" to all the rest of the world, and did not give out any aid and did not do ANYTHING outside the borders of the US. Let''s see how ya like them apples. Oh, and that includes tourism dollars, and import/export, and filming on locations outside the US.....and on, and on.....see how dependant others are on the horrible US then.....
The Stepford Real Estate Office should be contacting you soon with the good news that you''ve passed their stringent application process!!
36.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Is abortion legal in the US? If it is then wouldn''t it be reasonable for it to allowed to be funded as part of a wider healthcare aid program abroad, providing it is legal in the country receiving the aid?

HollyS - I love the Rats Patootie saying, it sounds kind of cute. And I think you really do give a rats patootie. I''m truly not particularly liberal, and I have "lived it", actually I''m a bit older then you. The cause of the current unstable climate in Iran goes back further than you suggest.
How was Carter responsible for the ousting of the Shah? I had never heard or read that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 12:42:17 PM
Author: trillionaire

my thoughts exactly.
I have no intention of denying anyone in another country anything or telling them what to do with their bodies. We just said we didn''t want OUR tax money paying for it.

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 2:34:12 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I have no intention of denying anyone in another country anything or telling them what to do with their bodies. We just said we didn't want OUR tax money paying for it.
The issue with this statement is that money would have been given to medical aid groups if they were opposed to performing abortions. For poor women in 3rd world countries, these aid groups are their only chance to get medical treatment.

It boils down to, would we rather these women have access to medical care and sometimes abortion, or not have access to abortion and health care all of the time?

Whether we like it or not, we do tell people in other countries what they can do with their bodies by making medical aid contingent on those choices.

ETA: Glad this thread is back on topic.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
There are a lot of things I don''t want *MY* tax dollars going toward. Sorry guys, but that seems like a moot argument to me. We can debate the merits of taxes in general, but since we do pay taxes, we then do not get to decide exactly what they are spent on. Our closest chance at having those decisions fit our own personal beliefs and morals is to elect representatives in government who share those interests and work to keep in mind those interests when allocating budget money.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 2:29:54 PM
Author: klewis
Is abortion legal in the US? If it is then wouldn''t it be reasonable for it to allowed to be funded as part of a wider healthcare aid program abroad, providing it is legal in the country receiving the aid?

HollyS - I love the Rats Patootie saying, it sounds kind of cute. And I think you really do give a rats patootie. I''m truly not particularly liberal, and I have ''lived it'', actually I''m a bit older then you. The cause of the current unstable climate in Iran goes back further than you suggest.
How was Carter responsible for the ousting of the Shah? I had never heard or read that.
LMAO!! Such a danger to assume anything from one''s avatar isn''t it "young man"..... Whew! (wiping eyes) Right now I big ol'' puffy heart you klewis! Holly does love to fancy herself the only one who is OLD enough to know anything because she''s LIVED it. Give me a break. Age is no guarantee of anything. I have a friend who is 50 and has never read a single book since college. I can assure you, "living it" didn''t impact him at ALL. Being alive at the time hardly makes one an expert on anything. By that logic, because I was 8 blocks from the Murraugh building in ''95 and felt the blast and saw the first puff of white smoke, I''M an expert on all things ''terrorist''.
20.gif

And yeah, that bit about forgetting all about how we played kingmaker to the Shah, and then when the whole thing blew up in our faces, got in bed with our best buddy Sodamn Insane, and barely blinked while they used chemical weapons on Iranians is pretty amazing. Talk about cherry picking to lay the whole thing at Carter''s feet. Of course those Iranians now, whatever they think is just a load of crap because we all know that all people in the middle east are tribal Muslim extremists who can''t think logically and hate us for absolutely no reason at all.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 3:26:59 PM
Author: ksinger

HollyS - I love the Rats Patootie saying, it sounds kind of cute. And I think you really do give a rats patootie. I''m truly not particularly liberal, and I have ''lived it'', actually I''m a bit older then you. The cause of the current unstable climate in Iran goes back further than you suggest.

LMAO!! Such a danger to assume anything from one''s avatar isn''t it ''young man''..... Whew! (wiping eyes) Right now I big ol'' puffy heart you klewis! Holly does love to fancy herself the only one who is OLD enough to know anything because she''s LIVED it. Give me a break. Age is no guarantee of anything. I have a friend who is 50 and has never read a single book since college. I can assure you, ''living it'' didn''t impact him at ALL. Being alive at the time hardly makes one an expert on anything. By that logic, because I was 8 blocks from the Murraugh building in ''95 and felt the blast and saw the first puff of white smoke, I''M an expert on all things ''terrorist''.
20.gif

And yeah, that bit about forgetting all about how we played kingmaker to the Shah, and then when the whole thing blew up in our faces, got in bed with our best buddy Sodamn Insane, and barely blinked while they used chemical weapons on Iranians is pretty amazing. Talk about cherry picking to lay the whole thing at Carter''s feet. Of course those Iranians now, whatever they think is just a load of crap because we all know that all people in the middle east are tribal Muslim extremists who can''t think logically and hate us for absolutely no reason at all.
Not no reason at all, Karen. Haven''t you heard? They hate us because we''re free. Duh.
20.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is abortion legal in the US? If it is then wouldn't it be reasonable for it to allowed to be funded as part of a wider healthcare aid program abroad, providing it is legal in the country receiving the aid?

HollyS - I love the Rats Patootie saying, it sounds kind of cute. And I think you really do give a rats patootie. I'm truly not particularly liberal, and I have 'lived it', actually I'm a bit older then you. The cause of the current unstable climate in Iran goes back further than you suggest.
And yeah, what about what went before Carter, and after Carter? No impact at all on the current situation.
20.gif
I think some believe that Carter existed in a separate universe unconnected to our own.

ETA - I thought I lost the first one above, and so decided to add a shorter one, then found out I got both of them. Weird. Overkill, but hey, the links are good readin' at least.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

LMAO!! Such a danger to assume anything from one''s avatar isn''t it ''young man''..... Whew! (wiping eyes) Right now I big ol'' puffy heart you klewis! Holly does love to fancy herself the only one who is OLD enough to know anything because she''s LIVED it. Give me a break. Age is no guarantee of anything. I have a friend who is 50 and has never read a single book since college. I can assure you, ''living it'' didn''t impact him at ALL. Being alive at the time hardly makes one an expert on anything. By that logic, because I was 8 blocks from the Murraugh building in ''95 and felt the blast and saw the first puff of white smoke, I''M an expert on all things ''terrorist''.
20.gif

The camera was close, the flash was strong, the camera clicked and the flash flashed....I was shocked and awed.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 3:24:21 PM
Author: WishfulThinking
There are a lot of things I don''t want *MY* tax dollars going toward. Sorry guys, but that seems like a moot argument to me. We can debate the merits of taxes in general, but since we do pay taxes, we then do not get to decide exactly what they are spent on. Our closest chance at having those decisions fit our own personal beliefs and morals is to elect representatives in government who share those interests and work to keep in mind those interests when allocating budget money.
Wishful, I''m responding to this specifically because you are interested in Constitutional Law and since I support the Constitution Party, it seemed relevant to bring up the constitionality here.

I''m biased because I believe 99% of all federal taxes are blatently unconstitutional based on the 10th amendment, but even if you were to take a very, very loose interpretation of Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution (Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;-) and somehow tie funding abortions as being legally taxed under the "general Welfare" portion of this clause--which I think is such a massive stretch that I hate to even use it as a hypothetical example--it would STILL be limited to the United States.

Again, I don''t want to come of as snarky or combative...I just know that we both are interested the Constitution (even if from different sides) and I''d like to know what argument there is that this law is constitutional.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 4:15:33 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Wishful, I''m responding to this specifically because you are interested in Constitutional Law and since I support the Constitution Party, it seemed relevant to bring up the constitionality here.

I''m biased because I believe 99% of all federal taxes are blatently unconstitutional based on the 10th amendment, but even if you were to take a very, very loose interpretation of Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution (Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;-) and somehow tie funding abortions as being legally taxed under the ''general Welfare'' portion of this clause--which I think is such a massive stretch that I hate to even use it as a hypothetical example--it would STILL be limited to the United States.

Again, I don''t want to come of as snarky or combative...I just know that we both are interested the Constitution (even if from different sides) and I''d like to know what argument there is that this law is constitutional.
I understand the constitutional argument against taxes, and I am indeed interested in it, NewEnglandLady. Thanks for the overview. I didn''t mean to actually spark a debate about the nature of taxes in the US with my comment, but I do have to say that if it were a viable constitutional argument it not only would have been argued, but the strict constructionist US Supreme Court would have abolished the taxes and deemed them unconstitutional. Now, I loathe the SCOTUS, but they are very, very likely to come down on your side on this issue if your argument is sound. I don''t have ready-made constitutional arguments in response to this one; I deal mostly in civil liberties at the moment, but I''m guessing smart minds on both sides have weighed in, and I''ll definitely keep my eye out for articles on the subject.

Only slightly off-topic, I also would caution you in believing that the "Constitution Party" actually represents the interests of the US Constitution in full. A quick overview of their key issues shows me that they''re advocating blatantly unconstitutional principles on at least one issue. Not to imply that you''re particularly gullible or anything of the sort, but if a party is going to market itself to people who are interested in constitutional issues [like myself] they probably should try not to alienate them with ridiculous religious arguments that have nothing to do with the constitution and actually violate it. It''s offensive not only for its disregard for constitutional issues, but for its apparent lack of respect for the intellect of the people who follow their party platform, who really ought to be familiar enough with constitutional issues to notice that some of the positions are bullsh*t. /rant

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 12:03:55 PM
That is a very simplistic overview as I am not at all inclined to read some of the rather ''hi-falutent'' material out there about politics.

It couldn''t possibly be more obvious.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Is abortion legal in the US? If it is then wouldn't it be reasonable for it to allowed to be funded as part of a wider healthcare aid program abroad, providing it is legal in the country receiving the aid?

HollyS - I love the Rats Patootie saying, it sounds kind of cute. And I think you really do give a rats patootie. I'm truly not particularly liberal, and I have 'lived it', actually I'm a bit older then you. The cause of the current unstable climate in Iran goes back further than you suggest.

Heh, brace yourself for further assumptions.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

20.gif

Still waiting for polygamy to be legalized so we can get married.
2.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 12:08:11 PM
Actually, I wonder what kind of ruckus it would cause if the US basically said a big ''screw you'' to all the rest of the world, and did not give out any aid and did not do ANYTHING outside the borders of the US. Let''s see how ya like them apples. Oh, and that includes tourism dollars, and import/export, and filming on locations outside the US.....and on, and on.....see how dependant others are on the horrible US then.....
9.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 5:21:40 PM
Author: MoonWater

Still waiting for polygamy to be legalized so we can get married.
2.gif
But what would both of The Big Brains say?
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 3:18:44 PM

Date: 1/25/2009 2:34:12 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I have no intention of denying anyone in another country anything or telling them what to do with their bodies. We just said we didn''t want OUR tax money paying for it.
The issue with this statement is that money would have been given to medical aid groups if they were opposed to performing abortions. For poor women in 3rd world countries, these aid groups are their only chance to get medical treatment.

It boils down to, would we rather these women have access to medical care and sometimes abortion, or not have access to abortion and health care all of the time?

Whether we like it or not, we do tell people in other countries what they can do with their bodies by making medical aid contingent on those choices.

ETA: Glad this thread is back on topic.
What we all fail to realize, the big elephant in the room, is that we -- the U.S. and other stable, wealthier governments and societies -- are NOT responsible for seeing to it that ANYONE OUTSIDE OF OUR BORDERS RECEIVES SQUAT. Whatever we choose to cough up for assistance in daily living needs in the third world should be received, not with the usual disdain and grumbings of their governments and their peoples, but as a considerate, compassionate, gift for the use of its intended purpose -- the improvement in the basics to sustain life. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, AND HAVE NO REASON TO BE RESPONSIBLE, FOR THEIR INFRASTRUCTURE PROBLEMS, THEIR LACK OF MEDICAL CARE, THEIR LACK OF EDUCATION, THEIR LACK OF CLEAN WATER OR AIR, OR THEIR GENERAL DISREGARD FOR THEIR OWN CITIZENS AS THEY BASICALLY RAPE AND PILAGE THEIR WAY THROUGH THEIR OWN COUNTRIES. Let them pay for their own abortions. We''ll concede the food in their mouths, the clothes on their backs, and often, the roofs over their heads. We aren''t without compassion. We just don''t feel like throwing money down a rathole to begin with, let alone one we have a moral squabble with.

Okay, I''m done cyber-yelling. You can take your fingers out of your ears now.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

20.gif

I knew I could draw you out of ''lurking''. I always can.
3.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2009 6:58:26 PM
Author: HollyS

20.gif

I knew I could draw you out of ''lurking''. I always can.
3.gif
What can I say? I''m a sucker for watching someone hang themselves with their own rope.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Karen: you or Moon thinking I'm swaying at the end of a knot, well, it might be your daydream, but it isn't reality. Lots and lots of PSers actually agree with me, but they don't post here. They find the constant bashing a bit much.

You think I'm self-righteous, and I think you can be. I'm positive others are. We probably aren't really; but because we disagree, we see each other in a less than flattering light. So insulting me only shows me I'm probably (IMO) on the right track. If I agreed with you, or you with me, then I would worry.

So go ahead and take the potshots.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 4:36:41 PM

I''m biased because I believe 99% of all federal taxes are blatently unconstitutional based on the 10th amendment, but even if you were to take a very, very loose interpretation of Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution (Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;-) and somehow tie funding abortions as being legally taxed under the ''general Welfare'' portion of this clause--which I think is such a massive stretch that I hate to even use it as a hypothetical example--it would STILL be limited to the United States.

I understand the constitutional argument against taxes, and I am indeed interested in it, NewEnglandLady. Thanks for the overview. I didn''t mean to actually spark a debate about the nature of taxes in the US with my comment, but I do have to say that if it were a viable constitutional argument it not only would have been argued, but the strict constructionist US Supreme Court would have abolished the taxes and deemed them unconstitutional. Now, I loathe the SCOTUS, but they are very, very likely to come down on your side on this issue if your argument is sound. I don''t have ready-made constitutional arguments in response to this one; I deal mostly in civil liberties at the moment, but I''m guessing smart minds on both sides have weighed in, and I''ll definitely keep my eye out for articles on the subject.

Only slightly off-topic, I also would caution you in believing that the ''Constitution Party'' actually represents the interests of the US Constitution in full. A quick overview of their key issues shows me that they''re advocating blatantly unconstitutional principles on at least one issue. Not to imply that you''re particularly gullible or anything of the sort, but if a party is going to market itself to people who are interested in constitutional issues [like myself] they probably should try not to alienate them with ridiculous religious arguments that have nothing to do with the constitution and actually violate it. It''s offensive not only for its disregard for constitutional issues, but for its apparent lack of respect for the intellect of the people who follow their party platform, who really ought to be familiar enough with constitutional issues to notice that some of the positions are bullsh*t. /rant
I definitely agree with you, Wishful, and it''s frustrating that they don''t defend the Constitution objectively. They only get it right half of the time, the other half they''re too clouded in their religious beliefs to keep from being discriminatory.

Anyway, I always enjoy your insight, Wishful! Thanks for responding!

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 5:19:06 PM

That is a very simplistic overview as I am not at all inclined to read some of the rather ''hi-falutent'' material out there about politics.

I''d rather deal in reality than in books. BTW, have you ever read any of the books that many of these intelligent women on here espouse? You are usually only good for one line zingers, and you never really contribute anything other than that. At least I and others put ourselves out there and actually debate stuff here.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 7:52:04 PM

I''d rather deal in reality than in books. BTW, have you ever read any of the books that many of these intelligent women on here espouse? You are usually only good for one line zingers, and you never really contribute anything other than that. At least I and others put ourselves out there and actually debate stuff here.
Snort. Chuckle.

Starsapphire, you are nobody''s Stepford wife!
9.gif

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 7:52:04 PM

Surely not Starsapphire - Do you mean by reality, only what you experience in your daily life? Do you also exclude newspapers and television news....and cyber stuff too? Whoaaaaaaa, That would narrow your view somewhat.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 7:49:37 PM
Date: 1/25/2009 4:36:41 PM

Only slightly off-topic, I also would caution you in believing that the ''Constitution Party'' actually represents the interests of the US Constitution in full. A quick overview of their key issues shows me that they''re advocating blatantly unconstitutional principles on at least one issue. Not to imply that you''re particularly gullible or anything of the sort, but if a party is going to market itself to people who are interested in constitutional issues [like myself] they probably should try not to alienate them with ridiculous religious arguments that have nothing to do with the constitution and actually violate it. It''s offensive not only for its disregard for constitutional issues, but for its apparent lack of respect for the intellect of the people who follow their party platform, who really ought to be familiar enough with constitutional issues to notice that some of the positions are bullsh*t. /rant

I definitely agree with you, Wishful, and it''s frustrating that they don''t defend the Constitution objectively. They only get it right half of the time, the other half they''re too clouded in their religious beliefs to keep from being discriminatory.

Anyway, I always enjoy your insight, Wishful! Thanks for responding!
Sorry to quote the whole thing, but I just wanted to thank you. I think you might be the only person I have ever "known" who was a Constitution Party supporter and actually noticed that their platform is a little too often shrouded in religion. I really like when people are fully aware of what they''re supporting. I hope you don''t think that sounds condescending, because you''re obviously very intelligent, so I am not surprised that you do know... it just seems too rare. I''m glad you responded nicely because I realized after I''d posted that I don''t have the energy to back up the point I was pretty clearly making in my little rant about them. Point #3 is not up for debate, but I am more than happy and honestly intrigued to hear any and all constitutional arguments regarding things that are up for debate.
2.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
And there''s klewis again. Trying his best to get a rise by ''politely'' insultng another PSer.

How trite.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 8:12:40 PM
Author: HollyS
And there''s klewis again. Trying his best to get a rise by ''politely'' insultng another PSer.

How trite.

Politely insulting = oxymoron

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results