shape
carat
color
clarity

Who hates to cook in the summer...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
New York timew article on 101 easy summer recipes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html?ei=5087%0A&em=&en=3933bf058656ba16&ex=1185076800&pagewanted=all

Mmmm.... lunchtime...
9.gif
31.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

me me me! In the summer, at the very least, we end up eating out three times a week. Especially on the hottest days.....

cheers--Sharon

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I always love to cook! Thanks for some new recipes. I''m suprised DH didn''t share them with me on Wednesday morning when reading the paper!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We love to grill in the summer.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I include the other 3 seasons in this question??
9.gif

*one who USED to love to cook*

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool; thanks for the tip. I cook year round. It doesn''t bother me. I guess it doesn''t get so hot here.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I generally love cooking light in the summer, as I get barely hungry...

Salads top the list with interesting toppings, but fish and some fresh seafoods seem to be the only thing i crave. Sushi is king, and when cooking at home, it''s been anything from grilled zucchini slices wrapped around goat cheese balls (with a tasty viangrette and almond drizzle) to pastas with light oil and veggies.

Rare is the burger cook out, I always feel like a boulder with legs when I eat red meat in the summer...
14.gif

Mmmm...any good recipes to share? Quick meals, my favorite. Why be in the kitchen all day when you could be outside enjoying the sun and weather.

Here in NY you learn to take in as much sun
emsmiled.gif
as you can while you have it!!!
face14.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like cooking in the summer. It''s just too hot, and turning on the stove/oven doesn''t help with that! My bf and I tried a couple raw food recipes, which were good, but we found ourselves a little bit hungry later.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Neat link. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmmm i love cooking in the summer actually, but i make entirely different things than in the winter. in the winter it''s more crockpot soups, lasagnas, baked/roasted kind of meats or fishies...and in the summer it''s more bbq''ing, salads (both lettucey types and things like beans and corn, edamame, etc), bright and colorful fruit or similar...we LOVE bbq''ing so we are always looking for different marinades and things to try our hand at. that article is awesome!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
our last apt had no air and was in the hottest part of the building. I would be cooking and the sweat would just pour off. UGH.

Here I cook at night, every other night or so (like 10-11PM!) and then we eat it for lunch and dinner the next day. I love, love, love cold puree soups in the summer--I have a cold avocado-tomatillo one that will keep you going ALL day with maybe half a sandwich on the side. Cold roast chicken, picnic foods and such are great too.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to cook indoors in the summer. But love cooking outdoors.

My main cooking source in the spring/summer is our propane three burner BBQ grill. It's fast, no mess, large cooking surface and the smell of the cooking food is mouth-watering (neighbors always seem to find a reson to stop by right at dinner time!
2.gif
). I only use my indoor stove top for breakfast and the oven hardly gets turned on at all during warm summer months.

During this time of year, I make just about everything on the outside grill. What I can't grill outright on the rack, I put in foil pouches and cook it that way.

Salmon
Halibut
Whole trout
Shish kabobs w/scallops, bacon and mushrooms
Steak
Bratwurst
Polska Kilbasa
Grilled Veggies (all kinds, but I love grilled onions the most!)
the traditional hot dogs and burgers
Roasts
Pork chops
Lamb chops
baby back ribs
Skirt steak

(I totally shop at Costco, they have the best fish, meat and vegetables!)

I love to marinate with soy sauce/olive oil/seasonings.

Any of the above entrees with a large cold crisp green salad, blue cheese crumbles, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers and Bernsteins Italian dressing.

Of course a glass of your favorite chilled white or mellow red wine to complent your meat selection.

I like to have a scoop of vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries/blackberries for dessert.

Spring/Summer is a great time of year to cook outside. The sun stays out later and the weather is pleasant in the late evenings, not scorching hot or sticky humid (well at least here in So. Calif.)!

I love this time of year!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me. And in the autumn, winter, and spring.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 9:24:19 PM
Author: Harriet
Me. And in the autumn, winter, and spring.
Do you or FI cook? What do you make for dinner?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. Nothing -- we either have delivery or eat out.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 10:22:15 PM
Seriously?!?!? I wonder how many people don''t cook; wow! Is it hard to find healthy foods if you don''t cook?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like too cook year round.
outdoors a lot in the summer but still throw stuff in the crock pot.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 10:23:51 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 7/20/2007 10:22:15 PM
Seriously?!?!? I wonder how many people don''t cook; wow! Is it hard to find healthy foods if you don''t cook?
Lots of sushi.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 10:36:44 PM
Author: strmrdr
Was the fried rice business a joke then?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 11:02:45 PM

Date: 7/20/2007 10:36:44 PM
Was the fried rice business a joke then?
no joke
Iv got a cast iron griddle for my gas grill and it dont take long for it too fry up so cook it inside too.
As a matter of fact i was just thinking about cooking up another batch of rice tomorrow so I would have some too fry up this coming week.
storm love fried rice :}

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somehow I had the impression you that bought the fried rice.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 11:43:54 PM
no way, I make my own.
Its way too expensive buying it when I can make it for pennies a meal.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
heehee, what are you two talking about? How did Harriet know that you liked Fried Rice??? You two are cracking me up.
9.gif
LOL

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, he's all about cooking it on his own. He's a great cook!! Oh and Wifey2b is an amazing cook. They are a great match!!!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 11:47:26 PM
heehee, what are you two talking about? How did Harriet know that you liked Fried Rice??? You two are cracking me up.
9.gif
LOL
hmmmm you might have been on vacation for that thread lol

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif
LOL
Skippy, are you serious?? Storm has been on a fried rice kick all summer!!!
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 11:49:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Nah, he''s all about cooking it his own. He''s a great cook!! Oh and Wifey2b is an amazing cook. They are a great match!!!
2.gif
I miss Wifey!!! I haven''t seen her; I guess she is busy.
15.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 11:50:28 PM
Author: Kaleigh

9.gif
LOL
Skippy, are you serious?? Storm has been on a fried rice kick all summer!!!
31.gif
Yes, I feel so out of the loop; where is the rice thread?!?!?!
33.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 11:50:27 PM

9.gif
LOL
hmmmm you might have been on vacation for that thread lol
What was the thread called???
34.gif
ETA: found it!!! I did a search on *fried rice* and it came up in Harriet's thread. LOL.
Harriet, where did you get that he bought the fried rice based on that thread??? You guys are too funny. LOL
lol.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Not me...I
emlove.gif
summer cooking. The colors and fresh veggies are what we LIVE for. Nothing like a red ripe summer tomato...cucumbers...peppers...yellow squash...okra...oh I could go on.

I hate most forms of cooked okra. But when they are large in the summer, right before they get woody, I marinade them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar...secret spices...and guess what? Toss them on the grill! You want them to get black streaks...but not black. Roll them like they were dogs....Throw a pepper on with them...onion...oh la la. If you like okra...do try it.

Oh there is a cheese called Houlimi...(sp) anyway I think it is from goats milk. It is a firmer cheese but sliced about the same as you would a tomato for a sandwich...little EVOO and toss that on there too! Again you want grill marks...but remove as soon as you get them. Serve the cheese warm on a bed of mixed summer lettuces and fresh veggies...the cheese has a smoky flavor and a firm texture...very good.

Oh I love Gazpacho with fresh tomato you can''t resist- it is what summer should taste like.

I grill year round. We had 12 inches of snow this year...for fun I was able to not disturb all of it...watched it slide right off as the grill got warm. Nothing stops me from getting to my grilll...Have even used a umbrella!

DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results