shape
carat
color
clarity

Whitehall - White Star Princess Cut..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond326

Rough_Rock
Hey guys did any of you saw the White Star Princess Cut at the Whitehall Jewellers? According to them those diamonds have more brilliance because of the increases amount of facets..(their cut has 93 facets and "the conventional" princess cut has 57 of them)... I did see one of those diamonds and id does really have lots of brilliance. Question is... Is this cheating the customer? meaning The regular diamond with 57 facets of the same quality looks probably like sh*t, but since they take that diamond and increase the amount of facets so to increase brilliance , now they take this diamond and sell it for a higher price then the conventional cut? did anyone of you purchases this type of diamond?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly I don''t think Princess cuts are 57 facets normally. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I thought they were normally in the 70s.

As far as their "patented cut" its still a mall diamond and I really don''t believe that adding facets to crap will make it nicer.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2005 12:41:42 PM
Author: crankydave
As far as their 'patented cut' its still a mall diamond and I really don't believe that adding facets to crap will make it nicer.

A mall diamond? Adding facets to crap? Have you ever viewed one of their patented cuts? There was a thread with an appraisal concerning a Leo cut I believe, that didn't describe that particular patented cut in the same manner.

There is a noticable difference between the Whitestar cut stones ond those that are not. I've no idea pricewise how they compare with the others.

Dave
Have you seen these stones either? I'm just confused how you can say there's a noticable difference between Whitestar diamonds and others yet say you don't know what the difference is.

To diamond326: diamonds are cut to be made more brilliant. It's not cheating to have a stone cut well in order to give off more brilliance AND to mask inclusions. Many choose superior cut SI2s that have so much brilliance and light return that you can't EVER find the inclusion with the naked eye. So, being well cut isn't cheating, but it is cheating to give the false impression that additional facets will AUTOMATICALLY make a stone better than a lesser faceted stone.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2005 1
6.gif
8:52 PM
Have you seen these stones either? I'm just confused how you can say there's a noticable difference between Whitestar diamonds and others yet say you don't know what the difference is.

Yes I have. Which is why I posted there is a noticable difference between the two. I don't know the price difference because I was not interested in comparing price just visual appearance.

Dave
lol oops, sorry. I saw your name and just thought you were being cranky. hehehe - my lame excuse is that I'm doing my accounting crap and eating breakfast at the same time as I'm reading here & I'm not doing all with the best of efficiency. lol

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is one of the 4 Cs of a diamond so cut costs money in the same way that clarity, colour and carat weight does. I have read that a diamond in the rough just looks like any other pebble and it is the skill of the cutter which makes it look the way we love to see them today, all sparkly. By cut I mean a diamonds proportions, if you look at the ''knowledge'' part of this forum (see top of page) it explains there what a good cut is compared to a bad cut. The more expensive cut usually means more waste from the rough but has more brilliance. Cutters usually try to salvage as much of the rough as they can and therefore diamonds are cut to reach a specific carat weight but may appear wide and shallow with no brilliance or narrower and deeper thus using carat weight which cannot be seen in the face up view to the diamond and thus making it look smaller than its carat weight and usually darker in appearance. The original shape of the rough also figures in what the finished diamond will look like.

Most of the professionals on these boards do not believe that cuts with extra facets are better although some have said it gives the diamond the look of more smaller shimmers rather than the larger sparkles you get from conventional cuts.

I am just a consumer, but I would say you should read and learn about diamonds before buying = which you are doing anyway or you wouldn''t have been here asking that question I suppose.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2005 12:41:42 PM
As far as their 'patented cut' its still a mall diamond and I really don't believe that adding facets to crap will make it nicer.

A mall diamond? Adding facets to crap? Have you ever viewed one of their patented cuts? There was a thread with an appraisal concerning a Leo cut I believe, that didn't describe that particular patented cut in the same manner.

There is a noticable difference between the Whitestar cut stones ond those that are not. I've no idea pricewise how they compare with the others.

Dave
I have seen it, and I wrote it off because it is sold in a maul. Probably swift judgement but generally I don't believe in mall equalling quality. Jared, Kay, Whitehall, I think they all sell junk, leo and whitestar included.

Added:
I have a cut with extra facets as well and I really didn't think the Whitestar looked good or impressive. I find mine to be really bright and really s parkly and that didn't look either to me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2005 2:22:45 PM
I have seen it, and I wrote it off because it is sold in a maul. Probably swift judgement but generally I don''t believe in mall equalling quality. Jared, Kay, Whitehall, I think they all sell junk, leo and whitestar included.

Here was thread where Richard Sherwood describes the Leo as ''...was very bright and lively, with a pleasant visual presentation'' and ''*Overall I felt the Leo was a pleasant diamond. I would recommend it for purchase, providing the pricing was satisfactory.''

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/review-of-a-leo-cut.17770/

I have a cut with extra facets as well and I really didn''t think the Whitestar looked good or impressive. I find mine to be really bright and really s parkly and that didn''t look either to me

Good! Pehaps you''d like to share what kind of cut you compared it to instead of your sweeping negative generalizations and stereotypes. Diamond326 might be interested.

Dave

I wear a Star 129. And yes I admit it''s a negative and sweeping generalization, I never denied that so calm down dude.

I found the Leo pretty lame, but then again it''s all in the eye of the beholder.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
So... is this statment true then?

I have a jewelry store near me that actually is within a mall, and sells Star 129''s. Therefore, I guess it must be junk. They also occasionally sell 8*''s. I guess they are junk too???

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess so.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible you mean "Round Brilliant" instead of "Princess" ?

My take on Whitestar and similar is that they have more facets, and the extra facets are located on the pavilion, but the crown is the standard pattern RB configuration.

An arguments that the additional facets are returning more light don''t seem to carry a lot of weight. I think rather than brilliance, if they do anything, they add scintillation, providing more places for a small flash of light to hit your eye.

They also make so that there are many fewer places to buy the "branded" diamond. Can''t buy a Whitestar on the internet, can you? Or across the street? Hence if you want it, they can sustain a premium price. And if it has a premium price, the perception is that it must be premium performance, right?

Consider also that after adding extra facets and showing a diamond under typical jewelry store lighting, the amped up scintillation is the easiest characteristic to perceive for most people. Whatever other advantages occur for them along the spupply chain probably help their business case for offering such a product, too. Retailing a commodity is no fun these days unless you are Wal-Mart, or maybe Costco. Being the wholesaler is no picnic regardless. It''s essentially a case of "Distinguish your product or face the onslaught", distinction or extinction.

Actually, I have a twisted desire to browse mall stores just to see what transpires. The Whitestar does look better than the others they have to show you. Reach your own conclusions as to the significance of that fact.

Though a good looking stone is not about number of facets nearly as much as it is about the relationship of the facets it does have, it seems easy to believe that the standard Round Brilliant cut isn''t the be all and end all of round cuts. One interesting "hyper-faceted" cut that does look very interesting is the Solasfera posted in threads elsewhere on this site.

diamond326

Rough_Rock
damn it... So now I still don`t know where to purchase the diamond from? I want to propose next month and I have been researching for few months now going though stores and checking stuff out.. Stores are VERY PRICEY!! I need to buy it soon or i`ll go crazy!!..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2005 11:47:21 PM
Author: diamond326
... Stores are VERY PRICEY!!
Well, pricey compared to what
2.gif
You wouldn''t consider the net, right
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results