shape
carat
color
clarity

whiteflash size comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

duriofont

Rough_Rock

Okay Matatora, look what you''ve done. Help!! Now I''m trying to decide between these two beautiful stones. What I''m not sure of is whether the size difference is noticeable enough to offset the price difference of 1700? They are both beautiful ACA J, VS2 stones.

This is my first upgrade since we married 20 yrs ago so I honestly don''t know if I''ll upgrade but have no idea how large 1.7 will look on my hand (don''t want it to appear prentitious). I have long fingers, my ring size is 61/2 and I want a dainty band with matching wedding band. Any suggestions? This is giving me a headache.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2313849.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2362062.htm

Attached is the comparison picture of the 2 diamonds:

cajunrocks001.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would say the size diffrence is worth it! I think it will look great on a size 6.5 finger!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can look at my ring pictures of my 1.6c J on my size 6 finger to get some idea but i don't think it looks big on me at all personally! obviously since i am upgrading.
9.gif
i would go as big as you can.

good luck!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Definitely worth it. I could see the difference at a glance.

shay

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Big visual diff - I would go with the 1.7 in a heartbeat!!!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Did you go with the 1.5? It looks like someone took it off the market! They both look beautiful though :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually i thought in the other thread that someone said they bought one of these stones, im guessing the 1.5c since it now says sold.

so is the 1.7 the only one avail now?

i also emailed lesley earlier today because my friend who is getting engaged soon MAY be able to convince her bf that he wants my stone (SHE really wants it, ha ha!) and so i asked lesley what else they were getting in inside of that similar range soon, and she said they just got a large shipment in so possibly nothing else for a while, and i think the 1.7c is new, so maybe that's these right here!! slim pickins!!

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Hey ya''ll! Someone bought the 1.5 I so the 1.5 J and the 1.7 are the two I am considering. Mara when will you know something definite about your stone?

Midnight

Rough_Rock
1. I have bought both a 1.5ct & 1.7ct and there''s a obvious HUGE difference in size believe me.

2. Also note that the 1.7 is a "Classic Line" ACA while the 1.5 is a "New Line" ACA. Hopefully you had the chance to see the differences between them during your visit to Whiteflash.

3. You might want Brian to check out the two inclusions on the pavilion side near the girdle of the 1.5. The 1.7 plot appears much cleaner, but make sure it''s "eye-cleaned". Can''t assess the variance on the 1.7 since the Sarin is not available yet. I also like the larger table of the 1.7.

4. If you are okay with the warmer J color, then the 1.7 would be my choice without question. It is absolutely stunning!!!

5. If you still can''t decide, have both of them ship to you and make your final choice.

Good Luck!

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi,
They are both awesome stones. But I''ll be the voice of reason...
12.gif

Can you see a difference between a 1.5 and a 1.7; probably...

$1,700 is a decent sum of money. That money in a diversified stock portfolio should double every 8-9 years on average. It is unlikely that diamonds will appreciate like an equity investment, plus it is less liquid too...

You are paying an additional $85 per point, while the Rap on this is $57 per point. The diameter (the size you see) is 4% larger, but the price is 18% greater; perhaps an unfair point, but factually correct.

I suggest that you buy and enjoy your SPECTACULAR 1.5 ct, and have some joy in your heart knowing that you employed some restraint. It is not a question of "afford", but rather "stewarship".

You are looking at AGS VS2s, so I think they both must be eyeclean under normal conditions.

Let us know what you decide.

David

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the there is a visual different between the two in terms of size. The way I see it, you''ve waited 20 years for this, so spend the extra $$$ and just stay out of the department stores for a few months (ha, ha). It''s not my money to spend, but I think if you are making the investment to go to at least a 1.5 ct stone, ideal cut, and the setting and band to match, just do it up right and have no regrets. After 20 years of marriage, you deserve the extra .30 points!!!

duriofont

Rough_Rock
A heartfelt thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. Especially Houseparty and Headlight bc yours resonated for me. Houseparty what on earth do you do in career? I''m still sitting here with my mouth open because of all the distinctions you made. I especially like the afford vs stewardship distinction. After 20 years of marriage we are more than financially secure so the obstacles are in my mind not in my pocketbook. With gratitude, Carolyn

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HEE! Restraint? That is so not a word that is used around the PS crowd to the sobbing horror of our husbands...
11.gif

(I still say get the 1.7...after 20 years of marriage girl you deserve it!)

Cajun, when I know more about my diamond going to my friend vs WF I will post. Not too sure about her timeline just yet but she DOES know that *I* am on a deadline, and that it is going back early May to WF if her BF has not proposed yet. My upgrade won't wait!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I too want to know what occupation David is!!!! And yes... he does make VERY good sense (*said in a very small voice*)... BUT I am a size girl like Mara, and so I can''t help myself, I still say... GO AS BIG AS POSSIBLE!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2006 7:28:40 PM
Author: Houseparty
Hi,
They are both awesome stones. But I''ll be the voice of reason...
12.gif

Can you see a difference between a 1.5 and a 1.7; probably...

$1,700 is a decent sum of money. That money in a diversified stock portfolio should double every 8-9 years on average. It is unlikely that diamonds will appreciate like an equity investment, plus it is less liquid too...

You are paying an additional $85 per point, while the Rap on this is $57 per point. The diameter (the size you see) is 4% larger, but the price is 18% greater; perhaps an unfair point, but factually correct.

I suggest that you buy and enjoy your SPECTACULAR 1.5 ct, and have some joy in your heart knowing that you employed some restraint. It is not a question of ''afford'', but rather ''stewarship''.

You are looking at AGS VS2s, so I think they both must be eyeclean under normal conditions.

Let us know what you decide.

David
Sorry David, but this guy completely disagree''s with you. Restraint is good to a point. Sometimes it''s quite necessary, but in this case, for only $1700 and after 20 years of marriage waiting for such a treat, the larger stone should be an absolute no brainer.

I say go with the stone that sets your heart beating just that little bit faster and I''m guessing that that additional $1700 won''t put you or your family in the position of eating cat food in your twilight years.

Of course if I''m wrong on that, then you shouldn''t even be considering the 1.5 carat stone........LOL

Good luck. That stone sure is pretty and I hope it looks fabulous on your finger!

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi Carolyn, Mara, and Lynn:
Thank you for your kind replies. Six weeks ago I knew nothing about diamonds and had never participated in a forum of any kind. In the process of upgrading my wife''s ring (12 years) I became fascinated with the world of diamonds, especially cut. Isn''t the internet awesome?

I was impressed with Rocky Talk. The people are so kind, helpful, and many are extremely knowledgeable.

I am a "Sales Analyst", which is a blend of Sales and Finance. I also manage the affinity Credit Card and Savings Plan for our independent sales force, so I am pretty transparent...

If you are going to upgrade, I understand the desire to go a little bit bigger, so I''m not trying to play a guilt trip.
1.gif

However, I do have one more plug for the 1.5ct. In the photos it looks brighter. It is probably the lighting (that''s why I didn''t mention it in the first message), but just throwing it in now.

Have a nice weekend.
Sincerely,
David

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The 1.51 says sold...did you buy it Cajun?

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Good morning! Well, I trusted the wonderful people at Whiteflash on this one and went with the 1.5. I''m noticing that I feel some peace of mind that I''ll be able to stay within the budget I set for myself. The 10k also was meant to include a setting and plain wedding band because mine is gold.

Would ya''ll be willing to guide me in choosing a setting and plain band? All that I know at this point is that I''d like a "classic" setting. And, I don''t think I''d take off my ring because I''m more afraid of losing it than damaging it; I''m constantly misplacing my car keys, phone, etc.

There seems to be much to consider and I''m in information overload.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
WF Solitaire Settings a good place to start.
Do you want four prongs, six prongs, bezel?
Do you want white gold or platinum?
Do you prefer thinner or more substantial bands?

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Hi Mat. Not sure about number of prongs. I want Plat for durability? Think I''d prefer thin vs wide band. Not sure what you mean about bezel?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Mat:
How do you link all of those sites? Anyway, I''m liking the curved prongs of the from the side vs straighter look. Also find the claw looking prongs interesting. I liked the ring Boom posted on 5/30/03 but am worried about this being the size I stay with. What happens when you upgrade to a larger size?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely LOVE The Fine Line by Le for sure with a larger stone...yummy.

Or I''d go with the 6 prong Tiffany, the realish one for ~$900ish from WF. Those would be my top two choices for a solitaire if I couldn''t go custom and was buying from WF.

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Question, how much more are we talking to go custom for a simple setting such as the ones both you and Matatora have given as suggestions?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on what you want...Shoot your rep at WF a quick email. It never hurts to ask!

colors!

Rough_Rock
Hi Cajunrock- this is a belated vote for the 1.5, which I see you got.
IMHO, outside the ps world a 1.5 is still a very large diamond.
The more I''m on the forum the bigger diamond I think I want and then everytime I see them in person
I think wow .75 is big enough, and I ended up with a .57.
Anyway good choice!
Good luck finding a setting.

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 89px">Date: 4/2/2006 11:04:25 AM
Author: Cajunrock
Good morning! Well, I trusted the wonderful people at Whiteflash on this one and went with the 1.5. I''m noticing that I feel some peace of mind that I''ll be able to stay within the budget I set for myself. .
Carolyn,
I know that it is not polite to gloat, but I see that you "trusted the wonderful people at Whiteflash on this one and went with the 1.5". What about the persuasive opines of your new e-friend David? (I''ll wipe that smile off my face
18.gif
).

You said, "I feel some peace of mind that I''ll be able to stay within the budget I set for myself.", that is what I referred to as "restraint". Doing what is best, as opposed to rationalizing what you "deserve". In this situation, $85 per additional point did not seem like a good value. Plus, if we want to split hairs, the 1.5ct has a slightly better spread for its size (60.8 vs 61.0), so it will only "look" 15 points smaller face up.

Congratulations, you selected a tremendous diamond. Best wishes on your setting.
David

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Cajun,

How did you get access to a comparison of stones? I was trying to find a size comparison myself, but was unable to do so. I even sent an email requesting it, but since so many other questions were also included, I never heard regarding the size comparison.

duriofont

Rough_Rock
Dear David, Matatora, Mara and everyone else. Today when I reread my post, I was concerned that ya''ll might think I''d disregarded the input you so graciously gave me so I''m laughing at David''s post. Thanks for keeping me straight. You are all allowed to gloat because it was your feedback that allowed me to finally make a decision! I''ve been lurking, reading and rereading posts of Mara, Regular Guy, Valeria, Belle and others for over a year now. It''s hard to believe that I''m finally going to wire the money and get things rolling. Thank you all so very much!

The trusting WF speaks more about the quality of their diamonds on the final decision. Even after reading all your posts, I couldn''t truly say one way or another because I was so tempted to go with more bling for the buck. So, Housepary, it was your post that finally swung me over to stay within my original budget and not keep going up on my price. To go from 5-6K to 10k and 1/2 c to 1.5 c started to border on insanity for me. Thank you for being my voice of reason.

p.s. no need to wipe that smile off your keister. Ya did good. With gratitude, Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results