shape
carat
color
clarity

White Sapphire

snowc

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a white sapphire, round or asscher cut in a 7-8mm diameter. I''ve searched every site underneath the gemstone selling sites section, but can''t find any. Does any place specialize in white sapphires over a carat? Thanks!

snowc

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of this white sapphire?

4787545646.jpg

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
I know almost nothing about white sapphires, but I know that The Natural Sapphire Company has a good selection.

There''s also a recent posting where the poster just got a white sapphire ring, you may want to look at that and see where she got it, I think it might have been NSC.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very well cut; could have fooled me for a colourless diamond that is viewed under dull fluorescent lighting.

snowc

Rough_Rock
The Natural Sapphire Company doesn''t have any large enough.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 1:15:33 PM
Author: snowc
The Natural Sapphire Company doesn''t have any large enough.

Your right! That''s interesting, it seems like all the rounds top out right at 1 carat. I wonder why that is?

snowc

Rough_Rock
I''m not quite sure. I''ve emailed a couple places but they say the large rough is hard to come by... There has got to be some out there right?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hard to tell from a picture. looks well cut which should indicate a good stone.

mz

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sometimes the rough is very hard to find because the crystals that typically yield white sapphires are treated to produce other colors. I have only been able to get one and that was because it was mined in in Montana by myself. I know TMS gems has a large variety of rough sapphires from Montana, both treated and untreated. You might be able to either have a cutter source the rough from him or you can contact Tom yourself.

silhouettefay

Rough_Rock
I just got a white sapphire from NSC...probably who vinkalmann is talking about. I did quite a bit of research, and I was lucky in that I wanted something under 1 carat. Supposedly, natural white sapphires are pretty rare, and larger sizes are even more rare. Livia at NSC was really quite helpful. I see that they have a 1.78 carat round, but it doesn''t look like the greatest cut in the pictures...however, you can always preview it before you buy it. I also read about someone who found a stone they liked there, but it was already set in something. They took it out of the setting for her so she could have it! If I remember correctly though, she seemed to be a diehard NSC customer.
emsmilep.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 2:12:16 PM
Author: Jim Rentfrow
Sometimes the rough is very hard to find because the crystals that typically yield white sapphires are treated to produce other colors. I have only been able to get one and that was because it was mined in in Montana by myself. I know TMS gems has a large variety of rough sapphires from Montana, both treated and untreated. You might be able to either have a cutter source the rough from him or you can contact Tom yourself.

These white sapphires bought for treatment. Are you eluding to Be treatment of these sapphires?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know ParaibaInternational had some a while ago. Give them a buzz.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/21/2010 5:52:34 PM

These white sapphires bought for treatment. Are you eluding to Be treatment of these sapphires?

It can be for a variety of treatments, even traditional heating.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
gemfix.com has a few in the size you''re looking for but they aren''t round.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We are always searching for big white and especially round brilliant sapphires.
2.6 carat brilliant was the biggest we ever had (sold lately). It was terrific.
We usually can compete with prices offered for whites by gem-cookers but big clean whites are simply rare.
Many fall through the cracks because they are windowed ovals or they have some color tint.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You can always try to find one that''s a mediocre cut and have someone recut it for you. You would need to talk to the cutter ahead of time to find out what size and shape would yield the round you want.

snowc

Rough_Rock
So I still am not having an easy time even finding one big enough to have recut.. hmm I''m not sure what to do.. the white sapphire is going to be set in a ring. maybe ill have to go to a jewelry store and try on some rings in the sizes that I can find..

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 7:49:55 AM
Author: iLander

You can always try to find one that''s a mediocre cut and have someone recut it for you. You would need to talk to the cutter ahead of time to find out what size and shape would yield the round you want.
Best of luck on your search. I have a 7mm cushion that is quite pretty, but very shallow, so the window is blinding. Someday (always someday) I''ll have someone look at it and see if it can be recut.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 2:07:37 PM
Author: colorluvr

Best of luck on your search. I have a 7mm cushion that is quite pretty, but very shallow, so the window is blinding. Someday (always someday) I''ll have someone look at it and see if it can be recut.
''
Then I have the guy for you! If you search Jerry Newman on this forum, he''s mentioned as a recutter. I had some great success with him and a tourmaline he custom cut for me (this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-stone-but-too-light.144512/ followed up with this one https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/love-my-new-tourmaline.144818/). I think amethystguy had some rough and Jerry cut it for him. Maybe Jerry can look at your cushion.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 7:29:12 PM

Date: 6/22/2010 2:07:37 PM
Author: colorluvr

''
Then I have the guy for you! If you search Jerry Newman on this forum, he''s mentioned as a recutter. I had some great success with him and a tourmaline he custom cut for me (this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-stone-but-too-light.144512/ followed up with this one https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/love-my-new-tourmaline.144818/). I think amethystguy had some rough and Jerry cut it for him. Maybe Jerry can look at your cushion.
Thanks,

I actually already contacted him about a spinel that has a couple of scratches that I am going to mail to him after I return from CA in a few weeks, so I''ll probably have him look at the sapphire also..... I also have a little ruby that could use a re-do! He got right back to me when I emailed him, so I''m looking forward to working with him.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
He was like Speedy Gonzales (the little mouse, remember him?) when I worked with him!

I think Dana at Mastercut might do recuts too, his site has a section of "remastered cuts" and the stones are pretty impressive. I don''t think Gene or Barry will do them, which is a shame, I suspect they had bad experiences with other people''s materials and/or personalities. There''s some stories I''d like to hear!

snowc

Rough_Rock
I actually broke down and ordered the stone in the photo.. a little smaller than I wish but... I went to the mall.. oh boy.. and tried on some rings with the same diameter.. and I love it! BTW You all are the best!!!
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results