shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Victor Canera setting for my 3.92 OEC ?

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Bella Sophia.... mercy!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anne - Thanks for posting the video! :wavey: Your stone is AMAZING! So happy for you that Mark was able to find you such a beauty!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I vote the Sophia setting because I think the halo competes with the stone, and that stone deserves to be the star!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So the update is that after several days of intense internal debate, I have made my decision.

We are doing pave halo with split shank (cathedral style)! I signed the work order with Victor today.

The plan is for a 1.8mm halo with a 2.0mm shank (1.6mm where it splits). We are doing shallow u-cut pave (single-sided) with single prongs. We are doing a wire-based design (vs plate/tube). I have asked for the stone to not sit too high off the finger.

I know the Sophia was the landslide winner here, but it just didn't feel as "right" to me as the halo, for this particular stone. Because the stone is not quite round. Somehow my mind only likes the Sophia bezel for a round stone (for me). I just couldn't get around that. And I didn't want the Sophia with a prong setting either. It too doesn't feel "right" and I wanted the girdle protected a little anyways.

I also found the halo and its narrower shank more delicate. And of course there is the finger coverage and bling factor. ;-)

Although - I am definitely in love with french cuts. If I had selected a round stone I would have done the Sophia and never thought twice.

I will post pics of the ring when it is finished.

Thank you again everyone for your advice and feedback.

As always, Victor has been wonderful to work with. He has been making the process so comfortable for me.

Anne

PS - Here is a question, with the cathedral split shank, Victor has said we must put stems in the basket area. Will that look weird? At first we had talked about putting a custom design in there. But now it will be just plain pave stems. He said this would be the traditional route...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds devine. Victor knows what he's doing and it will be stunning. Can't wait to see it!

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Anne--Did you ever post the photos of your completed ring in SMTB? Maybe I missed it but I was hoping to see them as I am considering a similar setting with VC (not to mention I want to see your stone that is :lickout: set.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
sophia one~!! Unbelievable pretty~! Your ct size is near to my dream carat size!! With that ring, let me go sleep and dream that it is mine ok!!! :love:

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow, what a gorgeous stone! :lickout: It will look beautiful in anything,but my vote is the sophia...I think it adds to the charm of the older cuts.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think she ever posted a thread about the ring but I know you can see it on Victor's site, it's GORGEOUS

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1319306323|3045489 said:
I don't think she ever posted a thread about the ring but I know you can see it on Victor's site, it's GORGEOUS

Found it, it's gorgeous, would love to see a hand shot!
Last I heard, Anne said she had to get her DH to take pics for her...

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Yes, I was hoping to see some handshots to give a real life perspective. I absolutely love the split shank setting. I hope she does come back and post them!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sophia!
I think the stone is more than a strong enough presence on a size 4.5 without the addition of a halo which might just detract from the gorgeousness of that OEC.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for the Sophia. A stone that big, I think needs to be set in a solid ring, the halo setting I think is too delicate to go with it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
since you have such a small finger size I would skip the halo setting with a 3.92ct diamond. I think the french cut sides will look marvelous! :love: :cheeky:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, sorry ladies - didn't see the October posts until just now.

No, I have not yet posted handshots. I know - so bad!! I really should get this done, I've been putting it off. I had the ring done right before I went back to school part-time, so along with working full-time and raising three small children, we have our hands full.

Joolz - I'm really happy with the split-shank halo setting. I love that Victor named the setting on his website after me, I was so flattered when he asked! I find his close-up shots make the ring look a little clunky. Not super flattering to the center stone either. But on the hand, it is perfection (to me anyways). My gemmologist said the ring felt delicate yet strong. Exactly what I was going for.

Most people cannot believe the ring is real. It's definitely been fun wearing it and showing it to others. Although I don't volunteer any info unless someone comments or asks.

Victor did a wonderful job. I highly recommend him as a great person to work with, and for turning out top-quality work.

Okay, let me see when I can post some handshots! My bad! I'll try to do that this weekend or next.

Anne

Joolz

Rough_Rock
Anne--I am so glad you checked back in! I absolutely love the split shank and I am really looking forward to the handshots. And I'm curious, how think is the shank?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Anne, I'm so glad we get to see some hand shots soon, I can't wait to see this beauty!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love that design! Can't wait to see handshots!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joolz - the shank is 2mm. It's really rather sturdy, but still delicate-looking enough. I'm glad I didn't go any narrower. Ditto for not having pave all the way around either. I wanted a ring I could wear as much as I wanted to without worrying about it.

Victor told me 2mm was his ideal recommended to balance sturdiness with femininity. I think he said the minimum he would go is 1.8mm. Then I did my research on PS and decided to err on the side of caution.

Okay, so I can see I definitely need to get those handshots going! Thanks everyone for your interest, it's very nice!

Anne

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results