shape
carat
color
clarity

which tsavorite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It is, but it''s kinda like senioritis, which isn''t really inflammation of the senior.
3.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t wait to jump on this tsvorite wagon!

I have the top tsv oval 2.33 from Gene for a few days now and have been checking it in all lighting. It is very bright with Gene''s superb cutting, and the color saturation is just perfect. However, I have to say that it is NOT as blue as shown in the picture. I have not been able to get a good picture to show its true color. It is a bright green, and if I have to be picky, has a tiny bit of yellow under tone. In some lighting the yellow is more obvious, or is it because the lights added yellow to it.

It is a breath taking stone. Well, for the price, I am still scratching my head.
20.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 8:55:05 PM
Author: yingh
Can't wait to jump on this tsvorite wagon!

I have the top tsv oval 2.33 from Gene for a few days now and have been checking it in all lighting. It is very bright with Gene's superb cutting, and the color saturation is just perfect. However, I have to say that it is NOT as blue as shown in the picture. I have not been able to get a good picture to show its true color. It is a bright green, and if I have to be picky, has a tiny bit of yellow under tone. In some lighting the yellow is more obvious, or is it because the lights added yellow to it.

It is a breath taking stone. Well, for the price, I am still scratching my head.
20.gif
I'm sorry to hear about that Yingh. Richard Hughes, in his pala article, indicates that tsavorite typically goes more yellowish green in incandescent llighting, and looks best under daylight. Okay, I admit it, I hope no one kills me, but I'm not a tsavorite fan (I know, probably the only one on CS who isn't
7.gif
), and it's because of this tendency. I have yet to see one in person that I absolutely adore, I'm sure they're out there from what I hear, and some of the photos on PS are quite lovely, but I haven't had the fortune to see one in person with a good blue secondary, that doesn't go more forest green or yellow, in person. I am definitely an emerald person when it comes to green. LOL!!

Okay everyone can throw rocks at me now.
32.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tsavorites get that colder look (bluer) in daylight, and warmer tones in incandescent. This is the same with chrome tourmaline too.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

I have the top tsv oval 2.33 from Gene for a few days now and have been checking it in all lighting. It is very bright with Gene''s superb cutting, and the color saturation is just perfect. However, I have to say that it is NOT as blue as shown in the picture. I have not been able to get a good picture to show its true color. It is a bright green, and if I have to be picky, has a tiny bit of yellow under tone. In some lighting the yellow is more obvious, or is it because the lights added yellow to it.

20.gif
I want to see your tsavorite!!! I think my 5.04 tsavorite from Gene has a tiny bit of a yellow undertone. But you know what? It''s a 5 ct. stone and the cutting is wonderful and the color is gorgeous so it doesn''t bother me. I still remember talking to a PS appraiser who told me tsavorites should have a "minimum" of a yellow secondary. He never said a yellow secondary was terrible and to absolutely stay away from it. I am sure your stone is gorgeous too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 5:49:51 PM
Author: Harriet
Chrono,

Iron can cause yellow. It''s the chromophore for yellow quartz, i.e., citrine.

Iron causes various colours in different gemstones. You can read all about it in a topic called Iron or something similar on you know where.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 10:26:34 PM
Author: Cind11

20.gif
I want to see your tsavorite!!! I think my 5.04 tsavorite from Gene has a tiny bit of a yellow undertone. But you know what? It''s a 5 ct. stone and the cutting is wonderful and the color is gorgeous so it doesn''t bother me. I still remember talking to a PS appraiser who told me tsavorites should have a ''minimum'' of a yellow secondary. He never said a yellow secondary was terrible and to absolutely stay away from it. I am sure your stone is gorgeous too.
That, in of itself, makes yours an exceptional stone, especially for how clean it is.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
A 5ct tsavorite? I want to SEE it!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I just tried to take some pictures but they all came out no good. Will try tomorrow during daytime - haven''t had chance to picture during daytime yet.

20.gif
I want to see your tsavorite!!! I think my 5.04 tsavorite from Gene has a tiny bit of a yellow undertone. But you know what? It''s a 5 ct. stone and the cutting is wonderful and the color is gorgeous so it doesn''t bother me. I still remember talking to a PS appraiser who told me tsavorites should have a ''minimum'' of a yellow secondary. He never said a yellow secondary was terrible and to absolutely stay away from it. I am sure your stone is gorgeous too.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 11:30:11 PM
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I just tried to take some pictures but they all came out no good. Will try tomorrow during daytime - haven''t had chance to picture during daytime yet.
So that makes two of us. Enough to start a club?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 11:30:11 PM
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

20.gif
My photos aren''t good either. I posted two back in August. Here is the thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/since-you-asked-here-are-the-tsavorites.123194/ I should take more pics because those were not very representative.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 9:35:58 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

20.gif

I''m sorry to hear about that Yingh. Richard Hughes, in his pala article, indicates that tsavorite typically goes more yellowish green in incandescent llighting, and looks best under daylight. Okay, I admit it, I hope no one kills me, but I''m not a tsavorite fan (I know, probably the only one on CS who isn''t
7.gif
), and it''s because of this tendency. I have yet to see one in person that I absolutely adore, I''m sure they''re out there from what I hear, and some of the photos on PS are quite lovely, but I haven''t had the fortune to see one in person with a good blue secondary, that doesn''t go more forest green or yellow, in person. I am definitely an emerald person when it comes to green. LOL!!

Okay everyone can throw rocks at me now.
32.gif

well, there certainly is no accounting for taste!
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Icekid,
Not at all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
You must have seen some drop dead tsavorites with blue secondary in museums, have you not? You still do not like it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/25/2009 4:47:54 PM
Author: Chrono
TL,
You must have seen some drop dead tsavorites with blue secondary in museums, have you not? You still do not like it?
Don''t get me wrong, they''re very beautiful green stones, I just haven''t been aching for a high quality one, maybe one day, but it''s not at the top of my list. BTW, I don''t recall seeing any in museums, but I have seen many in estate and antique shows and gem shows for years and years. Same thing with Chrome tourmaline, not at the top of my list. I guess we all have what we love, some people love some gems more than others, and I happen to love paraiba tourmalines, but I wouldn''t be able to afford a fine Brazilian one in a million years unless I won the lottery.
15.gif
Some people think Paraiba tourmalines are garrish and they don''t like them. I guess everyone has their favorite gems and colors.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it. Thanks.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 10:04:40 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 10/22/2009 12:51:56 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Risingsun -- I think that Tsavs have been 'talked about' alot on PS recently. That's going to create demand for them. Also they are more sparkly than Tourm and have a hardness that is good.

It is a bit frustrating though.
SH,
If you would like a tsavorite, I would contact Eric at Swalagemtraders.com. He seems to be a good supplier of well cut goods for decent pricing.
1.gif
He also was the supplier of Gene's rough tsavorite, and some of the other lapidaries who went on that African trip that Chrono mentioned.
Thanks. I'm looking at/deciding on another stone right now, but I'm missing a green stone for my collection...

ETA: Yingh can't wait to see your photos. Hope you get the stone to cooperate soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results