shape
carat
color
clarity

which tsavorite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My personal preference is for the Jeff White tsavorite for several reasons: it is a richer colour and round cuts are rare. The remaining available tsavorites on Gene’s webpage are too yellow and light, and the other is an opposed bar cut which I’m not fond of.

shoechick

Shiny_Rock
To me personally, the Jeff White stone sings! It has a richer color than the others. I''m drooling over it
30.gif
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see yellow in the JW stone, I'm sorry. But it is a round, tough to find in tsavorite. I see more blue in the oval that Yingh bought from Gene. It could be a matter of lighting and vendors all take different pics.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I have discounted all tsavorites that are already marked as sold on Gene’s webpage.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono,
Just using that Gene oval stone as a basis for comparison because on my monitor, it appears to be a finer color than the JW stone (the oval is more blue to me), and that's what I would be looking for in a tsavorite, especially for that price. Perhaps it's an unfair comparison since the pictures are from different vendors, but if the pictures were true to life, I would consider the oval to be a finer color than the round.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a tsavorite with a blue undertone but I’m afraid I don’t see any yellow in Jeff’s tsavorite. It appears to be a straight green on my monitor. This is a picture taken on a very cloudy day.

JeffGAR131outside.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of the original rough, which again, appears a pure rich green on my monitor.

Jefftsavorough.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the Jeff While stone over the Precision Gem stones that are left. The cut is a bit busy though, that is personal taste I guess. I also like a little blue in my tsavorites.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m assuming the OP was comparing to the first Gene tsav which is sold? As the others don''t really hold a candle to the JW one tbh.

Chrono, thankyou for sharing those extra photos - I''m not sure how there can be any yellow seen in that pure green!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first JW vendor photo looked as if it had a touch of yellow in the stone. I''m very sensitive to yellow. However the latter two pictures on the hand and the rough, appear as more of a pure green.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Gene has had several outstanding oval shaped tsavorites lately. One was sold before I could even get it in my shopping cart!! I ordered a custom cut stone, which is happily residing with me. The last oval hit his page and was sold as soon as it was posted, along with the smaller square cut stone. The color on this group of tsavs was just spot on, which is why, IMO, they went so fast. There seems to be quite a few tsavs being purchased these days. If you don''t jump on a good one, it''s gone. I''m new to tsavorites. What is going on with them? They seem to be a stone of choice
34.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2009 12:30:04 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I prefer the Jeff While stone over the Precision Gem stones that are left. The cut is a bit busy though, that is personal taste I guess. I also like a little blue in my tsavorites.
Looks to be a similar cut to the pad that Linda and I saw last year of his. If that''s the case, I can say personally that it just sings...really gorgeous and sparkly.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Risingsun -- I think that Tsavs have been "talked about" alot on PS recently. That''s going to create demand for them. Also they are more sparkly than Tourm and have a hardness that is good.

It is a bit frustrating though.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I like J. White''s one more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sort of a sidetrack but PS seems to have a certain trend: for a while, it was spessartite garnets. Now it appears to be tsavorites.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, Stone Hunter and Chrono.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If you have the budget, I'd go with the Jeff White. If you don't, I'd choose the opposed-bar cut one from Gene.

ETA: The others from Gene don't really seem to hold a candle in terms of color...the bottom is too yellow and the swirly one is more of a mint than a tsav. The sold ones on the other hand are fab, but sold!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TL,

Just wondering if you have calibrated your screen?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jokes aside about the trend on PS, I believe a good reason why we are seeing more tsavorites here is because a group of cutters who are favoured on PS went on a rough buying trip in Africa a few months ago and Africa is the only source of tsavorites. It stands to reason that they will buy as much tsavorite rough as their budget allows since they’ll be able to get better pricing direct from the source. And of course, that means that the very same cutters are able to offer a choice selection of tsavorites.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2009 12:51:56 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Risingsun -- I think that Tsavs have been 'talked about' alot on PS recently. That's going to create demand for them. Also they are more sparkly than Tourm and have a hardness that is good.

It is a bit frustrating though.
SH,
If you would like a tsavorite, I would contact Eric at Swalagemtraders.com. He seems to be a good supplier of well cut goods for decent pricing.
1.gif
He also was the supplier of Gene's rough tsavorite, and some of the other lapidaries who went on that African trip that Chrono mentioned.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too am sensitive to colour. As I''m a tsavorite addict, I pick up on any yellow quickly. Based on Jeff''s image, there is no yellow.

With respect to tsavorite demand, my opinion is that only demand for gemmy tsavorite of at least 2ct. will affect prices, ceteris paribus.

Chrono, what do you think the next trend will be?
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,
My crystal ball is cloudy at the moment. I’ll let you know when it clears up.
25.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it contains iron!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That dreaded iron that makes so many stones overly brown. I guess it isn’t so crystal after all. Perhaps it would have been better to be cabbed?
31.gif
11.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 12:09:33 AM
Author: Gailey
TL,

Just wondering if you have calibrated your screen?
I vote we take up a collection and get TL a new screen that cancels out all brown, grey and yellow tones.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
Iron can cause yellow. It''s the chromophore for yellow quartz, i.e., citrine.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
Iron can cause yellow. It''s the chromophore for yellow quartz, i.e., citrine.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I too have jumped on the tsavwagon and have coined a new term to describe the "itch" to get a tsavorite:

TSAVORITIS!
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 6:54:59 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I too have jumped on the tsavwagon and have coined a new term to describe the 'itch' to get a tsavorite:

TSAVORITIS!
9.gif

Haha, isn't that inflammation of the tsav?

Maybe Tsavopruritis? hehe.

I'm happy to see all the garnet love though! Spesses, malayas, tsavs, they all sound good to me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results