shape
carat
color
clarity

What's this diamond worth?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If he can get both in, even better. One is a tolk style ideal cut and one is a 60/60 so your eyes might prefer one over the other. Be sure to compare them in different lighting environments.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
What do others think about these: 2186047647 and 5186229518? Are there better alternatives?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, the burning question is... Are you dead set on using "your guy"?? It would be a lot easier for PS members to help you get the best deal on a quality diamond for your lady if you are open to other vendors.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Here is another gorgeous alternative: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R90-8Z5FFS

The main point is, that now you are looking at quality cut diamonds instead of that dog you came in with. Now you are to the point that it matters what your preferences are. Are you looking to maximize color, clarity, carat, face-up value, or a mix of those? If you have a solid preference, those around here can help put you where you want to be. But now we need more info on your preferences. It was easy to find you a diamond that was "better" and "beautiful", but if you want to find one that is "perfect", we need more info.

Even if you are dead set on using your guy (whom you are probably getting a discount from), people can help you find what you want because your guy most likely has access to 95% what is online. Online is usually pushed around here because it is so much cheaper and it is much easier to search. However, since you are getting a discount from your guy, I think you would be okay in sticking with him as long as you do your research here first before taking his word for things (like that first diamond he tried to pass on to you).

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
msop04|1422641998|3824511 said:
OP, the burning question is... Are you dead set on using "your guy"?? It would be a lot easier for PS members to help you get the best deal on a quality diamond for your lady if you are open to other vendors.
He has access to anything in New York. Enchanted is included obviously. I would like to use him and would like the nicest stone possible for 4.3k max.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Again at this point, "best" is relative to your preferences. There are some stones that are bad and now you have avoided those and now that you are looking at top caliber diamonds, we need to know your preferences to do any better than the two previously listed. Are you looking to maximize color, clarity, carat, face-up value, or a mix of those? Cut is king (which isn't typically a matter of preference), and those two are cut very well (unlike the first one you looked at), but now we are getting into the secondary factors which are a matter of preference.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Dude, people keep pushing the ideal cut, but that may not be necessary in your situation.

You should go for SI1++ or greater eyeclean center 0.85-0.88 ct. none or slight fluorescence, F-H or better color, girdle thickness thin to slightly thick. Cut needs to be excellent or greater with polish and symmetry both at least very good. Comparison of angles is best for cut. Culet small or less in size. Only ags/gia certificates.

2 things

1. An ideal cut isn't necessary. Excellent will be fine. Gia excellent cut grade is a wide classification. The difference between ideal and excellent is a huge difference money wise, but you cant tell the difference with the naked eye. For your budget I wouldn't recommend an ideal cut. I would save the money. Diamonds have diminishing returns as the quality increases. A gia excellent is more than enough so long as the angles aren't horrible (compare the sarin/hca/idealoscope, depending on what you can get from vendor). Dont use the hca as a gospel! Find a gia excellent cut that doesn't have horrendous dimensions and is at least very good/very good on polish and symmetry and you are fine. A lot of people are advising you as if you must get an ideal cut and anything else is completely wrong; that viewpoint is 100% wrong. So just throwing that out there. I would buy an excellent stone and keep the extra money if I couldn't see the difference, but maybe your preference is higher. The difference between an ideal cut and excellent cut is very very small, but the price difference is pretty big, relatively speaking.
2. An excellent gia graded stone with very good/very good polish symmetry vs one as excellent with excellent polish symmetry is not distinguishable at all unless you are in the diamond business and with a powerful microscope. Don't pay for triple excellent gia stones it is a major marketing gimmick.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Ideal cut is an AGS grade. He is looking at GIA graded diamonds. As such it would be impossible to get a GIA graded ideal. No one is telling him to get an AGS ideal cut. All the links I have posted have been GIA excellent. GIA excellent it a very broad grade, and it is possible to get a dog so everyone is trying to help him avoid that by looking at the angles.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1422925650|3826283 said:
Dude, people keep pushing the ideal cut, but that may not be necessary in your situation.

You should go for SI1++ or greater eyeclean center 0.85-0.88 ct. none or slight fluorescence, F-H or better color, girdle thickness thin to slightly thick. Cut needs to be excellent or greater with polish and symmetry both at least very good. Comparison of angles is best for cut. Culet small or less in size. Only ags/gia certificates.

2 things

1. An ideal cut isn't necessary. Excellent will be fine. Gia excellent cut grade is a wide classification. The difference between ideal and excellent is a huge difference money wise, but you cant tell the difference with the naked eye. For your budget I wouldn't recommend an ideal cut. I would save the money. Diamonds have diminishing returns as the quality increases. A gia excellent is more than enough so long as the angles aren't horrible (compare the sarin/hca/idealoscope, depending on what you can get from vendor). Dont use the hca as a gospel! Find a gia excellent cut that doesn't have horrendous dimensions and is at least very good/very good on polish and symmetry and you are fine. A lot of people are advising you as if you must get an ideal cut and anything else is completely wrong; that viewpoint is 100% wrong. So just throwing that out there. I would buy an excellent stone and keep the extra money if I couldn't see the difference, but maybe your preference is higher. The difference between an ideal cut and excellent cut is very very small, but the price difference is pretty big, relatively speaking.
2. An excellent gia graded stone with very good/very good polish symmetry vs one as excellent with excellent polish symmetry is not distinguishable at all unless you are in the diamond business and with a powerful microscope. Don't pay for triple excellent gia stones it is a major marketing gimmick.

This poster trying to tell you what to do didn't take the advice of the people here who have experience and knowledge. Now he's back and thinks he's an expert.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-buy-a-diamond-with-a-unsatisfactory-cut.209978/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-buy-a-diamond-with-a-unsatisfactory-cut.209978/page-2[/URL]

Ask for help from Gypsy, Diamonseeker, Julie, Rocky Racoon, and there are more Brilliant Rock experts but not this guy...please don't take his advice. He has 16 total posts. He's scary.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

<SNIP>

Excellent will be fine. Gia excellent cut grade is a wide classification. The difference between ideal and excellent is a huge difference money wise, but you cant tell the difference with the naked eye

.<Snip>

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

May I ask how you have the expertise to say this? Have you seen Ideal and excellent side by side? If so, how experienced is your visual palate, and/or what is your eyesight? I have way too many people who have chosen the ideal cut stones in "blind taste tests" to ever let such a statement stand unchallenged.

Pardon me if I seem rude, but you are just plain wrong. Our OP may clearly decide on a less than Ideal cut for budgetary reasons, but to tell him that he can not see the difference is totally incorrect and assumes that he has less than normal vision. You may prefer lower performing cuts, or not be able to see the difference, but none of us can presume to speak for another's vision.

The very top cuts, planned and executed for maximum light return and with excellent three dimensional symmetry have crisper virtual facets which produce more intense and visible fire and scintillation when compared to bottom-tier EX cuts which go dark and appear small in normal lighting. The best cuts even separate themselves from the bottom rung of the AGS 0 cut grade. These are not subtle nuances. They are visual differences that are easily perceived by the astute observer.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just stopping in to agree. It is very hard to find GIA Ex stones that have the cut of a top ideal cut, but there are some, of course. It is absolutely worth it to me to have ideal cut diamonds. Once you have seen a hearts and arrows top cut diamond, it is very hard to go back. You get what you pay for, and when it comes to something like an engagement ring, it is even more important to get a great cut stone.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1422941952|3826406 said:
Just stopping in to agree. It is very hard to find GIA Ex stones that have the cut of a top ideal cut, but there are some, of course. It is absolutely worth it to me to have ideal cut diamonds. Once you have seen a hearts and arrows top cut diamond, it is very hard to go back. You get what you pay for, and when it comes to something like an engagement ring, it is even more important to get a great cut stone.

Agreed. For the engagement ring you are getting a diamond that will be treasured and cherished for the rest of her life.

I used to do some public speaking many years ago. Often when I would speak to a group of ladies, I would ask how many remembered the proposal. Then I would ask if they remember what was said, what time of year it was, what day of the week and other questions. Always fewer and fewer hands went up as I asked more detailed questions. It seems though, that the more thought and love was put into the proposal the more that was remembered about the event. Some of the ladies remember it so well that fifty years later they can tell me what HE was wearing.

It seems that this is one of those moments in a lady's life where she takes a mental snapshot and carries it around with her, treasuring it long after some of the details have faded.

It always seemed to me then, that the men ought to be making that moment extra special then, letting HER take that snapshot with a fine Nikon rather than a cheap Instamatic.

Just my thoughts on things...

Wink

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to what Wink and DS said above, even my limited diamond shopping/viewing experience shows that GIA Ex cut grade can include a lot of diamonds that are quite deep, which means the viewer isn't seeing as much of the diamond as they should. Even with not so great eyesight, there's no point in paying for weight you should see but can't because of the depth.

Roqsteady

Shiny_Rock
Mayk|1422929726|3826328 said:

2 things

This poster trying to tell you what to do didn't take the advice of the people here who have experience and knowledge. Now he's back and thinks he's an expert.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-buy-a-diamond-with-a-unsatisfactory-cut.209978/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-i-buy-a-diamond-with-a-unsatisfactory-cut.209978/page-2[/URL]

Ask for help from Gypsy, Diamonseeker, Julie, Rocky Racoon, and there are more Brilliant Rock experts but not this guy...please don't take his advice. He has 16 total posts. He's scary.

He basically came on here to boost his own ego after no one would validate his purchase. It's one thing to know you don't want an ideal cut diamond and to buy it. It's another to rationalize your purchase and berate everyone else who won't buy with the same low standards you would. Plus the arrogance to hop onto a forum after a few months of diamond shopping and reading up articles on "facetware" and think you know more or are suddenly more advanced than consumers and trades people alike who've seen a ton of more diamonds he's seen in his lifetime. Ears will hear what they want to hear, I guess.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Roqsteady|1422993191|3826766 said:
Mayk|1422929726|3826328 said:

2 things

He basically came on here to boost his own ego after no one would validate his purchase. It's one thing to know you don't want an ideal cut diamond and to buy it. It's another to rationalize your purchase and berate everyone else who won't buy with the same low standards you would. Plus the arrogance to hop onto a forum after a few months of diamond shopping and reading up articles on "facetware" and think you know more or are suddenly more advanced than consumers and trades people alike who've seen a ton of more diamonds he's seen in his lifetime. Ears will hear what they want to hear, I guess.

What an unbelievably sad story! I just read that thread - seems like he is in straight denial rather than take sound advice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="noscrusir|

What an unbelievably sad story! I just read that thread - seems like he is in straight denial rather than take sound advice.[/quote]

Yup, exactly!.. ;))

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread - so far it's a cliff-hanger. Will the OP find true happiness with just the right diamond for he and his SO?!
Loving your spot-on posts, Wink :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk, Diamondseeker, Wink, thank you so much for saying something about that crazy post. I read it and just didn't have the energy to try to refute something like that. The thought of trying to disagree and explain is just too much sometimes. You guys are the best, and I really hope the OP does not take the wrong advice.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
On behalf of my fiance, I just want to thank everyone for their immense help! I came in here with a rip off of a stone and a worried demeanor, and now I feel so happy and confident that I got a great stone. Thanks Roqsteady for finding GIA 2186047647. Thanks Dancing Fire for your very detailed specs. Thanks heididdl for your recommendations. Thnkas everyone else for your input! I honestly couldn't of done it without you. I ended up paying $4300 for above stone and 1100 for the rest...$5400 total.

I am not sure if the jeweler was trying to rip me off, I think he was trying to get rid of a stone. Also, we looked at stones during the snow storm and he showed us all that he had on him (other stones didn't make it). Yes, he was trying to sell me a mediocre (at best) stone for a great stone price, but he worked with me. My fiance is immensely proud and happy. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• diaond_20pics.pdf
    336.1 KB · Views: 168

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Congratulations!!!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Happy ending! Congrats!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a classy diamond necklace. I don't want to spend more than 1000. I'm thinking pendant or chain. What can I get that sparkles?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyno2010|1426103446|3845695 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301533694737?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How much is this worth? Any better alternatives?

If you are trying to stay under $1,000 I'd still go with a pendant...

Does she have a pendant? Is this a wedding present?

That is a pretty necklace but not sure of the worth..

Another less expensive option from Grace.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/gallery/pendants-necklaces/pear-shape-diamond-bezel-pendants#.VQCjCob3aK0

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
Yes it's a wedding present. She does not have a pendant.

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
I like the diamond pendants because you can dress them up or down and are ok for every day wear. A pearl necklace like that you can't really dress down, and pearls are very fragile. Also, I would not buy pearls from eBay. I would stick with the pendants by jbg. Or even a nice small bezeled diamond pendant from Brian Gavin or white flash. It would be small but very sparkly. I would check id jewelry too as you might get closer to your price from them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results