shape
carat
color
clarity

What''''s the deal w/ Hearts and Arrows diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''''ve been hearing a lot about these on the board and how they''''re somehow better or sparklier than regular ideal cut diamonds. Can anyone possibly give me the details about these? Are all H&A diamonds always better than ideal cuts, or are there some poorly-cut H&A diamonds too? Can I get H&A diamonds in the diamond district in Chicago, or only online? Thanks for your help!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Pg, H&A are all about a certain type of optical symmetry. Yes, it is possible to have a non-ideal cut H&A. I would not advise it. I am drawn to this particular optical signature, and I prefer them. It will depend on your preferences. There are some lovely ideals out there non H&A. Whatever you choose, I would choose the ideal cut whether you like the H&A or not. The ideal cut is what will make your diamond sparkle.

Shay

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I like a well cut stone, a nice bright diamond with good fire... (and make it a princess or cushion!
6.gif
LOL)

and I do like good arrows...don't care much about the hearts LOL j/k... I'm assuming both go hand in hand.

I am of the opinion, that you don't need *perfect* hearts and arrows and that an almost H&A is not worse than a true H&A... I love looking at rounds where I can see the beautiful symmetry and nice arrows...if they are a little off, you probaby couldn't tell in any event ... and I'm not sure they impact the visual appearance much.
20.gif
Sure this non-expert is in the minority certainly considering the marketing of the H&A... I would say, however, the most H&A are probably beautiful!!! But then again, so are most *almost* H&A!!! LOL

There is no right or wrong here...Just a matter of preference and balance! You really need to judge each stone individually.... You could have a H&A in front or you and like the non H&A better for some reason or vise versa... Best way to approach is get a good vendor!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Shay is right.
H&As have great symmetry which allows for the hearts and arrows patterns.
I should think that most of them should be ideal cut because of the level of precision it takes to cut the stone with that kind of symmetry. It would be pointless to spend all that time cutting and not make sure it was cut to ideal proportions. I''m sure there are some that fall out of the ideal range, but probably not many. This is why are more expensive, more time spent on them, so you can be reasonably sure that it''s well cut.

As Shay said, there are ideal cut non-H&As, they probably perform as well as a H&As in terms of brillance - fire - and scintillation, they just look different. It''s probably a little harder to find an extremely well cut non-H&As, but they are around.

Is there anywhere in your neck of the woods you could look at a H&As and compare?

Scintillating...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
This Guy In Chicago was a dealer in eightstar diamonds (a type of H&A diamond - although they would be insulted to be called an H&A diamond), Dimend also carries idea and signature diamonds. Worth a trip to have them show you some samples different types of diamonds and you can judge for yourself.

Much has been discussed on this site about the precision H&A diamonds like Whiteflashes ACA line, the eightstar diamonds, and other cuts including diamonds claiming to have near "H&A like" paterns. I am no expert on diamonds - but I ended up with the whiteflash ACA's and have been thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results