carat
color
clarity

what''s next on your reading list?

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 3:44:55 PM
Author: Haven
Christiana--Middlesex is very good. My mother is reading it for the first time and she said the first fifty pages or so were a bit slow, but it has since become quite engrossing for her. I loved it from the start, but I thought I''d share her experience in case you pick it up and decide to put it down quickly.

Thanks, Haven! To be honest, I haven''t read it yet. I googled it the other day and read the summary and some reviews and found it a bit heavy. Or maybe it''s just me. I''m in the mood for something "light-hearted" right now. Maybe in a couple of months. But thanks for reminding me anyway
1.gif

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished Superfreakonomics and enjoyed it so much I decided to pick up a few Malcolm Gladwell books, Outliers and What the Dog Saw.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up the newest Michael Cricton book today (and sadly his last). It''s called Pirate Latitudes. I heard it wasn''t very good but since I usually enjoy his books I picked it up. I need to have something to read at work for days I have to wait for DH to get ready to come home. Last week I was there for about 2 hours before we left and I was sure wishing I''d got an ereader for Christmas.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2010 11:52:36 PM
Author: marcyc
I picked up the newest Michael Cricton book today (and sadly his last). It''s called Pirate Latitudes. I heard it wasn''t very good but since I usually enjoy his books I picked it up. I need to have something to read at work for days I have to wait for DH to get ready to come home. Last week I was there for about 2 hours before we left and I was sure wishing I''d got an ereader for Christmas.

I just got the sample for Pirate Latitudes but haven''t gotten around to it. I know it''s going to be a bit different from his other books because of the setting/subject matter but I''m still really excited for it!

Do you read James Rollins'' or Steve Berry''s books? They''re similar to Michael Crichtons - James Rollins deals a lot with science-y stuff (genetic engineering, etc.) though I think his is a bit more far-fetched (though very entertaining). Steve Berry is a bit more Dan Brown-ish but I actaully prefer Steve Berry''s books to Dan Brown''s.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 12:37:03 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 1/10/2010 11:52:36 PM
Author: marcyc

I just got the sample for Pirate Latitudes but haven''t gotten around to it. I know it''s going to be a bit different from his other books because of the setting/subject matter but I''m still really excited for it!

Do you read James Rollins'' or Steve Berry''s books? They''re similar to Michael Crichtons - James Rollins deals a lot with science-y stuff (genetic engineering, etc.) though I think his is a bit more far-fetched (though very entertaining). Steve Berry is a bit more Dan Brown-ish but I actaully prefer Steve Berry''s books to Dan Brown''s.
Thanks for the recommendations Brown Eyed Girl. I have enjoyed Dan Brown''s books.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 12:39:10 PM
Author: Christiana
Date: 1/3/2010 3:44:55 PM
Christiana--Middlesex is very good. My mother is reading it for the first time and she said the first fifty pages or so were a bit slow, but it has since become quite engrossing for her. I loved it from the start, but I thought I''d share her experience in case you pick it up and decide to put it down quickly.
Thanks, Haven! To be honest, I haven''t read it yet. I googled it the other day and read the summary and some reviews and found it a bit heavy. Or maybe it''s just me. I''m in the mood for something ''light-hearted'' right now. Maybe in a couple of months. But thanks for reminding me anyway
1.gif
Oooh, if you''re looking for a really light read, I recently read Elizabeth Berg''s The Year of Pleasures. It was a really light yet really satisfying read. I bet your local library has multiple copies of it on the shelf.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
I''ll definitely check this out, Haven! Thanks a lot.

I started Victoria Hislop''s 2nd book, "The Return". It''s about the Spanish Civil War, I liked it so far. I read her 1st book, "The Island", recently and really loved it. She''s a young British authoress and I really enjoy the way she writes. It flows really well.
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually read about 5 books at a time:

Takashi Matsuoka''s "Autumn Bridge" and "Cloud of Sparrows" - for those who love Japan and samurai stories
Stories and poems by Charles Bukowsky
To re-read "Salambo" by Flaubert for the 10th time
I like ancient history, hence all "Roman" books by Colleen McCullough''s ("First Man in Rome", "Grass Crown", "October Horse", "Caesar", "Caesar''s women", "Ides of March")

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished Abundance, an historical fiction piece about Marie Antoinette (which was one of the best books I''ve read in a long time!). I''ve recently started The Dracula Dossier, which is very interesting so far. It''s a fictional account of Bram Stoker as a suspect in the Jack the Ripper killings.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished reading the Harry Potter series. I must admit I''m a bit sad that I''ve finished, because I enjoyed them immensely. Actually, I''m very sad. I feel a bit lost without a Harry Potter book left to read!

I started rereading Madeleine L''engle''s quintet that begins with A Wrinkle in Time. I loved those books as a child, and Harry Potter has put me in the mood for more fantasy.

My reading moods tend to dwell on certain genres or styles for a while, and then I move on when I''ve had my fill. I read Southern American women''s fiction for the longest time, years and years, before I was ready to move on to something else.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 1:52:00 PM
I just finished reading the Harry Potter series. I must admit I''m a bit sad that I''ve finished, because I enjoyed them immensely. Actually, I''m very sad. I feel a bit lost without a Harry Potter book left to read!

I started rereading Madeleine L''engle''s quintet that begins with A Wrinkle in Time. I loved those books as a child, and Harry Potter has put me in the mood for more fantasy.

My reading moods tend to dwell on certain genres or styles for a while, and then I move on when I''ve had my fill. I read Southern American women''s fiction for the longest time, years and years, before I was ready to move on to something else.

I actually really liked the Percy Jackson series, even though, like HP, it''s for young adults. Also, Lemony Snicket''s A Series of Unfortunate Events is great too
1.gif

I was so sad when HP ended. I reread the series every few months or so. BF thinks I''m nuts
3.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished Steve Berry''s Paris Vendetta and I think it''s his worst book. I don''t know if I''m just sick of the Cotton Malone/Magellan Billet schtick or what but it was hard to get through and I usually love his books. I have the following books sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read and a long train ride on Monday. James Rollins'' Altar of Eden (love his books too), Patrick Rothfuss'' The Name of the Wind and Michael Crichton''s Pirate Latitudes. I''m also currently reading The Physicians Tale on my computer at work. That''s a fantastic book!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 7:22:33 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I just finished Steve Berry''s Paris Vendetta and I think it''s his worst book. I don''t know if I''m just sick of the Cotton Malone/Magellan Billet schtick or what but it was hard to get through and I usually love his books. I have the following books sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read and a long train ride on Monday. James Rollins'' Altar of Eden (love his books too), Patrick Rothfuss'' The Name of the Wind and Michael Crichton''s Pirate Latitudes. I''m also currently reading The Physicians Tale on my computer at work. That''s a fantastic book!!

HH, I think we have similar reading tastes in that genre. I like Steve Berry''s books but I''ve been reading them out of order. Paris Vendetta was a bit weak though - totally agree.

I liked Altar of Eden, though I''m looking forward to the next SIGMA book. Um...so the annoying thing about the Kindle is that it takes you to the first page of the first chapter, and Rollins uses prologues a LOT - I''ve read through TWO of his books without realizing I missed the prologue, and only at the very end did I realize (and boy, did the epilogues make a LOT more sense, lol).

I''ve been wanting to read The Name of the Wind for a while now (and I have a sample of Pirate Latitudes waiting for me).
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m reading The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten. It''s the book I would love to write.
1.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ooo A Wrinkle in Time is one of my favorite books! I''ve never read the other books-and in fact until I googled it just now, had no clue there were additional books other than A Swiftly Titling Planet. (which I''d heard of but never think to look for at the library)

I started reading Jonathan Kellerman''s Alex Delaware series..I''ve got a couple of my own that I''ve read but have never started at the beginning and read them all, and I like to do that. (Of course, the library didn''t have the first, so I read the 2nd and am almost done w/the 3rd, and then they called to tell me they checked it out from another town library for me-figures, oh well)

And I grabbed John Sanford''s new Virgil Flowers book.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up: How to Sell by Clancy Martin. Just read a review while at my mother''s house and it sounds right up a PSr''s alley.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock

I re-read HP when I got the set for Christmas. I finished a few weeks ago and still feel a bit adrift. I decided to re-read all Jane Austen''s books, but every time I pick up my book I find myself wishing it was HP. Haha.

I got DH to watch the movies, so maybe he''ll read the books and we can talk about them
3.gif
I have to say that outside of the Narnia series, I can''t remember the last young adult book I''ve liked, but the HP series is great.

I also agree with the genre thing. I''ve been working my way through a lot of 19th century British stuff in the last few years. Once I read the last few Dickens books I may need to pick a new genre.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
elro--I''m STILL pining away for Harry Potter. It''s very strange to feel this way, as I haven''t experienced this obsession with a series since I was very young. I just finished Wringle but it wasn''t the same. I''m going to reread Narnia when I''m done with L''Engle''s series.

I cannot tell you how much I regret not reading HP when it first came out. I was so close to all of that mania, yet only a spectator. It''s so sad!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Just finished Andrew Young''s book about John Edwards. Whew - what an eye opener about politics, lies, cheats and narcissitic people.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 2:05:44 PM
elro--I'm STILL pining away for Harry Potter. It's very strange to feel this way, as I haven't experienced this obsession with a series since I was very young. I just finished Wringle but it wasn't the same. I'm going to reread Narnia when I'm done with L'Engle's series.

I cannot tell you how much I regret not reading HP when it first came out. I was so close to all of that mania, yet only a spectator. It's so sad!
I read them as they came out (borrowed them from the neighbors' kids) but it was so long between the first and last books that I remembered very little. Re-reading them again this year was so much fun! I really love the earlier books when things are more fun and a bit less serious. I was impressed with the character development - I feel like so many modern books have totally flat characterizations, but HP is fairly complex, especially for a young adult series. There are times that Harry is kind of unlikeable, and as the hero it's so refreshing that he's not perfect.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished reading ''When Will There Be Good News'' by Kate Atkinson. Picking up a Linwood Barclay next.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
After the Miss Manners thread on PS, I''ve decide that my next few reads will be Miss Manner''s books. Pretty excited about it too!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
just picked up four Miss Manners books from the library! Um, yeah, FI''s going to hate me in a few days...
11.gif

12.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished reading Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot and Jodi Picoult''s new book, House Rules. Both were really good. I''m not sure what''s next on my list -- either Geometry of Sisters or maybe another Meg Cabot book. I think I have to take a trip to Barnes and Noble soon and see what other new books just came out. Our library system is great but the new arrivals always have really long waiting lists.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2010 11:18:20 AM
Author: trillionaire
just picked up four Miss Manners books from the library! Um, yeah, FI''s going to hate me in a few days...
11.gif

12.gif
Which ones, Trill?
I''ve had Star Spangled Manners on my night stand for ages. I adore her large guide, it''s my favorite go-to reference.
If you really get into etiquette, check out Letitia Baldridge''s books, and the Etiquette Grrls. They''re both fabulous.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 11:25:16 PM

Date: 3/16/2010 11:18:20 AM
Author: trillionaire
11.gif

12.gif
Which ones, Trill?
I''ve had Star Spangled Manners on my night stand for ages. I adore her large guide, it''s my favorite go-to reference.
If you really get into etiquette, check out Letitia Baldridge''s books, and the Etiquette Grrls. They''re both fabulous.
I picked up the ones available at my local library, which were:
Guide to a Surprisingly Dignified wedding,
Basic Training: The right thing to Say
Guide to Domestic Tranquility
Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior

They are fun to read and nice to have. I might have a new wedding gift idea... it think it would be nice for all women to have a copy of a broad etiquette guide, as a reference.
2.gif
I thought it would be stodgey, but it''s decidedly not!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t get into HP. I wish I could but I''ve tried several times without luck. I just can''t get into fantasy. When I was younger I did read a magic series by Edward Eager, and I loved them. Two of the ones he wrote are called "Half Magic," "Seven Day Magic," and there are a few others in this series. Apparently, they''re considered classics -- they were written in the ''50s and early ''60s.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just finished:
- A re-read of the whole Anne of Green Gables series (free on my Kindle!). Absolutely love these books.
- Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, but I found this book to be poorly concluded and depressing (and not in that makes-you-think kind of way--just the plain old sad and unsatisfying way).
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, an old favorite of mine.

Currently reading an Agatha Christie mystery--I have read them all, but to my delight, I am finding now that I''ve forgotten the plots of some of the first ones I read, so I''m now able to read them again without knowing the ending.

Next up for me will be Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I want to read it before the movie comes out.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I just ordered I Walked the Line: My Life with Johnny Cash, by Vivan Liberto, his ex wife. I''m also continuing the Cash kick by reading Anchored in Love and The Man in Black, followed by Cash: The Autobiography.

Phew!

Oh and I just finished the Twilight saga. I''m somewhat ashamed by how much I enjoyed it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/18/2010 6:19:15 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

I can't get into HP. I wish I could but I've tried several times without luck. I just can't get into fantasy. When I was younger I did read a magic series by Edward Eager, and I loved them. Two of the ones he wrote are called 'Half Magic,' 'Seven Day Magic,' and there are a few others in this series. Apparently, they're considered classics -- they were written in the '50s and early '60s.
They are classics! I read one of them, Half Magic, to my fifth grade English class just a couple of years ago and they loved it! I couldn't keep my voice from shaking when Martha wishes that the cat could talk and she can suddenly "half" talk. That angry cat berating the children is one of my favorite passages in all literature!

The author who inspired Edward Eager, E. Nesbit, also wrote wonderful children's books, like The Five Children and It in exactly the same genre.

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results