shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s next on your reading list?

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i just purchased ''the time traveler''s wife'', i''m hoping to finish it before the movie comes out, but i''m a slow reader or easily distracted, whatever you want to call it
9.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a good one. I didn''t know that movie was made after a book. Off to B&N to get it.

Actually the next on my list is My sisters keeper. I have heard that it is really good. My SIL is reading it now and she said that it is tear jerker. We will see about that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been reading (and re reading older ones) James Patterson. I think John Sanford has a new Virgil Flowers book out, but I haven''t been able to find the dumb thing. Italia had a couple authors in her Who''s Who thread I thought sounded interesting, so I''ll be checking them out as well.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 8:15:43 PM
Author: radiantquest
That sounds like a good one. I didn''t know that movie was made after a book. Off to B&N to get it.

Actually the next on my list is My sisters keeper. I have heard that it is really good. My SIL is reading it now and she said that it is tear jerker. We will see about that.

oh i''ve been wanting to read ''my sister''s keeper'' as well, isn''t that also being made into a movie?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty sure "my sister''s keeper" is in the movies now...

I''m trying to get through "Wuthering Heights"... it''ll be my last ''fun'' book for the summer... then I''ll be reading about anatomy/physiology, herbalism, as well as other types of healing...

April20

Ideal_Rock
My Sister''s Keeper hit the theaters a few weeks ago. Unless it performed really well, I''d imagine it''s at the dollar theaters or gone completely. I enjoyed the book , though it was definitely a heavy subject.

Next up on my list is Still Life with Crows by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child. I just picked it up from the library yesterday. At least I think that''s what''s next.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
My Sister''s Keeper is still in the theatre, at least here. The book has a totally different ending than the movie, I''ve heard. It definitely is a dark and sad book, but I really enjoyed it.

I''m about to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, heard it''s great. Will let you know.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Finished My Sisters Keeper. Pretty good book. How does the movie end?

Next I am reading A Short History of Everything. Waiting for it to arrive from b&n.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently still in the first quarter of two books. How we Die, and The Once and Future King. Next up will be Geisha (a biography of an actual Geisha) and The Deerslayer

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo is next on my list. I''ve read the preface and am very intrigued...several people have recommended this book to me in the past couple of months, so I guess I should go ahead and read it.
9.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:43:04 AM
Author: monarch64
The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo is next on my list. I''ve read the preface and am very intrigued...several people have recommended this book to me in the past couple of months, so I guess I should go ahead and read it.
9.gif
It is a wonderful book. Incredibly captivating. I had to read it last year for my Life Journey class. I was one of the few people who appreciated it, but what are you going to expect from a group of twenty-somethings college students? His Warrior Of The Light is also good, but its more-or-less something you might want to read a page or two a day, because of its format and density of material it needs some time to sink in.

has anyone read "The Botany of Desire" or "Tales of a Shaman''s Apprentice"? I am going to be reading them for a class this upcoming semester. I''ve already gone through "the Botany of Desire" which was fabulous and actually a good read.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My next in line to read is ''The book of Negroes''. It''s actually been lying on my table for a few months now, but I keep putting it off because it''s hard to travel (on the subway) with such a massive book.

For all those who loved ''My Sister''s Keeper'', most of Jodi Piccoult''s books are fantastic reads. Although you might notice recurring themes with her books, begins to get a tad bit redundant.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 9:10:19 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
There are 2 new books by Sophie Kinsella I need to read :D
I''m finishing up 20''s girl now and I love it! Next on my list is the Time Traveler''s Wife.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to read the Southern Vampire Mysteries series. Aka "True Blood"''s inspiration...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 4:24:18 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''m going to read the Southern Vampire Mysteries series. Aka ''True Blood''''s inspiration...

Liz I just started the series - finished the first book last night. It was really good - didn''t think it would be something I''d like, though I''d heard such great reviews, but it was quite funny and interesting.
1.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 3:24:38 PM
Author: kas baby
Date: 8/18/2009 9:43:04 AM

Author: monarch64

9.gif

It is a wonderful book. Incredibly captivating. I had to read it last year for my Life Journey class. I was one of the few people who appreciated it, but what are you going to expect from a group of twenty-somethings college students? His Warrior Of The Light is also good, but its more-or-less something you might want to read a page or two a day, because of its format and density of material it needs some time to sink in.

has anyone read ''The Botany of Desire'' or ''Tales of a Shaman''s Apprentice''? I am going to be reading them for a class this upcoming semester. I''ve already gone through ''the Botany of Desire'' which was fabulous and actually a good read.

If you like Paulo Coelho, you might want to also check out one of his other books, "Veronika Decides to Die". I read it after "The Alchemist" and thought it was a great book.

I just learned they made a movie of it (with Sarah Michelle Gellar) to be released this coming November.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness. I just tore through the 2nd book in the Sookie Stackhouse series...I haven''t been this obsessed with a series since I discovered Ellis Peters'' Brother Cadfael series last summer!

I''ve also just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (pretty good - I think I liked Shaghai Girls better, which was the first book by Lisa See that I''d read), The White Queen by Philippa Gregory (not too bad - a good look at a really fascinating era, which I encountered when I read Figures in Silk by Vanora Bennett), and I''m about to start the third Sookie Stackhouse book, The Devil''s Queen (about Catherine de Medici, by Jeanne Kalogridis, author of The Borgia Bride), and hoping to buy Sword of the Lady (S.M. Stirling) when it comes out tomorrow (it''s part of the series started with Dies the Fire - a really fantastic book). I love summer downtime
1.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2009 10:42:59 PM
Author: CDNinNYC

If you like Paulo Coelho, you might want to also check out one of his other books, ''Veronika Decides to Die''. I read it after ''The Alchemist'' and thought it was a great book.

I just learned they made a movie of it (with Sarah Michelle Gellar) to be released this coming November.
I didn''t know they were making a movie of it! I loved that book a lot, much much more than his other books. I''ve even given it as gifts thrice. Somehow it really resonated with me.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished reading ''We need to talk about Kevin'' by Lionel Shriver. Beautiful written, absolutely outstanding. It''s one of those books that you will think about and remember for a very long time.

Scarabnight

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 3:52:50 PM
Author: ChinaCat
I''m about to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, heard it''s great. Will let you know.

Dragon Tattoo is a good one, and the second one came out not too long ago. It''s called The Girl Who Played With Fire

Have you read James Rollins? He''s a great one too!!
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got the 2nd of John Sanford''s Kidd series, and then I''ll be reading Whitby''s book!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
An Echo in the Bone!!!!!!!

It just came out and I''m super excited. I just need to find some uninterrupted reading time, because once I start I know I won''t put it down. That book may be my entire to-do list this weekend.
9.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2009 11:24:27 PM
Author: kama_s
I just finished reading ''We need to talk about Kevin'' by Lionel Shriver. Beautiful written, absolutely outstanding. It''s one of those books that you will think about and remember for a very long time.
Would you mind sharing what it is about? I am all for a great book, but I would like to know what it is about before a trip to B&N. I love books like that. Ones that impact you for a while.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just finished Long Way Gone : Memoirs of a boy Soldier, and am in the last 100 pages of The Once and Future King. I started Healing Foods as my next non fiction and will be starting Ivanhoe as my next fiction.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I realized that I had stated two books I had meant to read before. Note to all I haven''t read them yet, just changed my focus mid way. So Ivanhoe and Healing foods, then I''ll probably read Geisha, I just wanted to read some info in Healing foods and decided to go ahead and read it, and SO brought Ivanhoe down the other night when I was laying on the couch so it replaced Deerslayer for the time being.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2009 5:23:58 PM
Author: radiantquest

Date: 8/29/2009 11:24:27 PM
Author: kama_s
Would you mind sharing what it is about? I am all for a great book, but I would like to know what it is about before a trip to B&N. I love books like that. Ones that impact you for a while.
It''s a fantastic read. Here''s the synopsis from Publishers Weekly:

A number of fictional attempts have been made to portray what might lead a teenager to kill a number of schoolmates or teachers, Columbine style, but Shriver''s is the most triumphantly accomplished by far. A gifted journalist as well as the author of seven novels, she brings to her story a keen understanding of the intricacies of marital and parental relationships as well as a narrative pace that is both compelling and thoughtful. Eva Khatchadourian is a smart, skeptical New Yorker whose impulsive marriage to Franklin, a much more conventional person, bears fruit, to her surprise and confessed disquiet, in baby Kevin. From the start Eva is ambivalent about him, never sure if she really wanted a child, and he is balefully hostile toward her; only good-old-boy Franklin, hoping for the best, manages to overlook his son''s faults as he grows older, a largely silent, cynical, often malevolent child. The later birth of a sister who is his opposite in every way, deeply affectionate and fragile, does nothing to help, and Eva always suspects his role in an accident that befalls little Celia. The narrative, which leads with quickening and horrifying inevitability to the moment when Kevin massacres seven of his schoolmates and a teacher at his upstate New York high school, is told as a series of letters from Eva to an apparently estranged Franklin, after Kevin has been put in a prison for juvenile offenders. This seems a gimmicky way to tell the story, but is in fact surprisingly effective in its picture of an affectionate couple who are poles apart, and enables Shriver to pull off a huge and crushing shock far into her tale. It''s a harrowing, psychologically astute, sometimes even darkly humorous novel, with a clear-eyed, hard-won ending and a tough-minded sense of the difficult, often painful human enterprise.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
Currently reading "The Night Villa" by Carol Goodman (my fave author).

Next on the list is "Sepulchre" by Kate Mosse. I started it but then I got my current book and where Carol Goosman is concerned, all er books fall by the wayside. I get very impatient and have to read it. So yeah, back to "Sepulchre" soon.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 2:16:59 AM
Author: merrymunky
Currently reading ''The Night Villa'' by Carol Goodman (my fave author).

Next on the list is ''Sepulchre'' by Kate Mosse. I started it but then I got my current book and where Carol Goosman is concerned, all er books fall by the wayside. I get very impatient and have to read it. So yeah, back to ''Sepulchre'' soon.
I was going to pick up one of her books the other day : The Drowning Tree - did you read this?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I finished S.M. Stirlings Nantucket series - which was amazing. It''s kind of parallel to the Emberverse series which starts with Dies the Fire - any alternate history fans out there, you have to check them out!

Currently re-reading The Last Colony by John Scalzi (author of Old Man''s War) and reading Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe for a seminar I''m in.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished Smashed by Koren Zailckas. It was a super quick 300 pages, finished it in two days. Really good book!

I started American Dream: Three Women, Ten Kids, and a Nation''s Drive to End Welfare by Jason DeParle. Really interesting so far -- I''ll come back when I''m done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results