JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pasta with tomato, basil, Parmigiano
Roast pork shoulder in chile verde, corn, shallot, yogurt
Vanilla panna cotta, cantaloupe and lemon zest

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Everyone's menus have inspired me to add more options to my repertoire, which is limited.

Ninna, would you mind sharing your recipe? The Chinese-style roast is something that I'd love try making. Thank you!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
We ate stuffed eggplant & zucchini with steamed yukon gold dressed with little half and half/roasted garlic and a bit of rigiano cheese.
Ninna, I would also love to see your Char S recipe posted, please?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kids had fish fillets breaded and baked, and corn nibblets. I haven't eaten yet, but hubby is going to pick something from Sonic!

Too muggy and hot in our kitchen to cook.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
doodle said:
I'm a fat kid, so the dinner threads are always my favorites, but they never stick for too long. I don't get it--they're always hugely popular for a bit, then fizzle out. If you're not going to invite me over for dinner, you can at least taunt me with it, people, sheesh! :bigsmile: Anywho, tonight we had grilled NY strip steak with grilled corn and spinach...oh, and a silly large bottle of pinot noir, which explains why I presently look like :wacko: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

There's a girl after my own heart! :evil:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Do you guys have El Pollo Loco where you live? It's a relatively healthy fastfood chain. Charbroiled chicken with southwestern sides, and tortillas. We had that for dinner, and there's enough for tomorrow too! It was way too hot to cook today.......

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tonight was rather boring, penne whole wheat pasta with spinach and marinara sauce with grated fresh parmesian cheese. DD is a vegetarian. She is making me one too. I haven't had meat in 2 months.. I wanted to do grilled veges on the grill, but we had crazy rain storms here, so did salad instead.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
On the menu tonight: Some very tastey plum and pork sausages from the butcher, creamy mash potatoes with swede, fried onion, boiled leaks, peas and corn. AND an apple crumble (possibly with custard if I can convince BF to make some) for desert :lickout:

Not too exciting but very tasty and easy to cook.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
AGSHF said:
Everyone's menus have inspired me to add more options to my repertoire, which is limited
Ninna, would you mind sharing your recipe? The Chinese-style roast is something that I'd love try making. Thank you!

Sure thing:
This marinade is enough for 2 lbs of meat, original recipe called for Pork belly and/or shoulder, I can't diggest that, I use a whole Loin sliced lenghtwise in 4 equal strips and double up the marinade amounts. If using Tenderloin adjust the baking time probably by half.

2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp 5 spice powder
1 cube of fermented Red bean curd
2 Tbs Shaoxing or Mijiu wine
2 Tbs maltose (or creamed honey)
1 Tbs hoisin sauce
1 Tbs thai chili sauce
2 Tbs Lee Kum Kee mushroom flavored dark soy sauce or any dark soy sauce
1 Tb oyster sauce

Mix the ingredients in a large ziplock bag, or a bowl large enough to hold the pork. Break he bean curd and maltose in the bag with a spoon, any lumps will eventually dissolve, just make sure there are no big clumps.
Cut any visible fat on the meat and add to the bag and make sure meat is covered in marinade. Seal and let it sit in the fridge for minimum of 4 hours and up to 3 days, shaking things up a couple times in between.
Preheat oven to 275 F. Line a roasting pan with foil, pour 1/2 C of water over it and place a rack 1'' high above the pan and lay the pieces of pork on the rack. Put the pan in the oven and let it roast for 1 hour< [Now, this is not necessary according to many but I boil my marinade in a small saucepan to sterilize while the meat is baking, it also maximizes the bright red color imo]>.
Remove it from the oven flip the pieces of pork and baste generously with the marinade.
Return to the oven for another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, repeat--flip then baste again with the marinade. Return it to the oven for another 20 minutes.
Notes: 5 spice vary by brand Mee Chun's brand has a bit ginger in it, making your own is always best, taste the marinade before adding
the meat.
Red Bean Curd & might be hard to find for some...adding 1/4 ts of red food coloring works but I never do.
Dark soy sauce is Key, Pearl River Bridge is a great brand.

ETA:
Hope you try the recipe Camille :))

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Tonight we will be having fried catfish with homemade tarter sauce, roasted potatoes, steamed green beans and watermelon for dessert. MMM...watermelon... :lickout:

Im loving everyones menus, its neat to get ideas from all the great cooks on here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey,
For those who make fish tacos...what kind of fish do you use? I use tilapia but wondering if there were other options?
tyt

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Tyty333- when I make fish tacos I use Halibut or Tilapia, depending on whats available.

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Ninna, thank you very much for taking the time to type the recipe out and posting it. When I next visit our local Asian market, I will look for the special ingredients and try the recipe out. Cheers!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Tuna and vegetables or tuna and avacado sushi tonight.

Because it's SUSHI FRIDAY! :bigsmile: :appl: :lickout: *happy dance*

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love Sushi Friday!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cup-a-soup, spring veggie.

classy.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I made my kid's favorite meal last night. Pesto Penne pasta with cut-up Kosher hot dogs (thanks for the idea Kenny).

Sounds gross, but actually really tasty. Something about all-beef salty hot dog slices in pesto just goes really well.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Tonite it's going to be homemade lasagna, and I'm not the one making it!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
::sigh:: We were thinking Arby's. ::hangs head in shame:: On a brighter note, I'm hosting a bridal shower on sunday featuring a dessert buffet, and there's only going to be seven of us, so guess who gets the leftovers? Yup, my hips. Bring on the banana pudding, red velvet cookies, sugar cookies, petits fours, and mini cherry cheesecakes! :lickout:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just finished up dinner. Had turkey nachos. Simple! Normally the kids do not drink juice, but they each had a small glass of it to wash down their meal.

My dinner was cooked tomatoes and ground turkey. Forgot to grab herbs from the garden. Lately I've been craving tomatoes, so I put fresh rosemary & basil in a pan along with EVOO and cook the tomatoes in that along with a bit of garlic!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take out Indian food. And tonight I discovered how to make shrimp saag "tacos" with paratha bread. I also discovered how to drink a half a bottle of leftover white wine by myself. I take no responsibility for my posts this eve. :tongue:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had tortilla with potatoes and red onions and a baby arugula salad. SO TASTY. Plus there's a ton of left over tortilla so I can have it for lunch tomorrow and Sunday.

My only complaint is that we don't have central air and using the oven makes it SO HOT in here. Plus right after my husband cooked the tortilla he ran the dishwasher. So it's a sweltering hellhole downstairs right now. :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. It's 4 am and y'all are making me hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for posting your food (I thank you, my waistline, not so much!). I love seeing everyone 'feed' off each other. YUM. Going grocery shopping tomorrow (after I clean out the fridge) and boy have you guys helped me out!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I think I'm going to make spinach lasagna tonight. Things have been really hectic and I haven't actually cooked in about ten days.

I do my spinach lasagna with chicken chopped fine, sauteed spinach, some red pepper flakes for heat mixed into ricottoa and then I do goat cheese in the layers instead of mozzerella. I fake a vodka sauce by adding bechemel to a jar of store bought stuff and a splash of vodka. Then I drink a vodka tonic or two just because. It's a really nice alternative to traditional lasagna.

I just realized that baking a lasagna flies in the face of my earlier post in this thread saying I don't like to use the oven in the summer. I don't. But I think this is necessary. We need a good meal.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
God, I love this thread!!!! :love:

Our tomatoes and peppers have just been producing like crazy lately, so I made a tomato basil bisque this week. Just cut an x onto the bottom of the tomatoes, blanch in boiling water for a moment to peel the skins, chop, puree. Saute some onions, garlic, peppers, tons of fresh basil and peppers until soft and a bit caramelized. Add it all together, puree it all if you choose, and add a couple of Tbsp of cream and season with salt and pepper.

The other recent dish I made was to take advantage of our pepper production - I stuffed them with dried apricots, dates, lamb, onions, and a bit of risotto and topped with feta cheese. Yum!

ApricotLambandDateStuffedBellPeppers3.jpg

BasilTomatoBisque1.jpg

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Ninna said:
AGSHF said:
Everyone's menus have inspired me to add more options to my repertoire, which is limited

ETA:
Hope you try the recipe Camille :))
Not sure why my post got eaten :devil:
Made the recipe for some friends today, it was gone in seconds! Did not use the curd, it was impossible to find. Simmered the sauce for 4 minutes and still turned to a beautiful red! Thanks Ninna for your generous gift, it's a keeper! :lickout:

April20

Ideal_Rock
Lauren, that soup looks fabulous. I wish I could get tomatoes to grow without killing them. The issue is me, not where I live.

I love tomato basil soup like mad, but only if it's all pureed and creamy. I'm kinda freaked out by chunky tomatoes. Weird, I know. The last tme I made tomato soup I hit it with a touch of sherry... that was yummy!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
We are grilling steaks and making a creamy herbed goat cheese sauce to go on top, with sauteed spinach and garlic mashed potatoes.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pumpkin soup with a dash of requeijão (our runny version of a mild cream cheese) and a mixed salad (lettuce, spinach, carrots, peas, corn, onions, parsley, olives with a wasabi yogurt sauce). Yummy!

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
On tonights menu- blue cheese stuffed burgers, cole slaw (vinegar dressing) and a chocolate cream pie for dessert. Im thinking I should make some watermelon slushies too, (with vodka :cheeky: ) since I still have a bunch of watermelon left from the other day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results