shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you get if you had an e-ring budget of 6-8K?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Assuming you didn''t want to upgrade for a very long time, if ever. Is it generally preferable to go for a really well-cut 1 carat (or slightly bigger) solitare with a plain band, or a slightly smaller stone with tiny shared-prong diamonds on the band? Or maybe a plain band with a halo around the solitare?

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Its funny you ask this im thinking along the same lines--- But im going with a carat and then diamonds about 3/4 down the band (not all around) instead of the plain band. Because just imagine when she slips on that eternity band on your wedding day-- explosion
30.gif
! ! ! look at this one, too Look at Lynn B's ring a lot of posts down-- thanks Lynn!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm tough call. But having an eternity ring I sometimes think that the right solitaire setting can make the stone look bigger than on something like an eternity band. There's a picture I posted recently of looking4's 4c ring in a solitaire and then in a 3 row eternity band setting and amazingly enough the 4c looks smaller in the eternity bands. Sometimes I wish I had a classic solitaire with an eternity band setting.

But then again bling is fun.
31.gif

I think with this budget, for me to get as much bling as possible, I'd get a 1c for around $6500, and halo it in something like the WF setting which is about $1500? So you don't have to go custom and reinvent the wheel and can stay within budget. And that would be huge on the finger!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough choice!! Lately I am loving the simple solitaire setting with a pretty eternity band. It''s a classic look and one that you wouldn''t get tired of. You can add extra eternity bands to stack with it as the years pass. I just adore that look. That said, I also adore the look of Mara''s set. That''s classic and elegant as well. Guess I wasn''t much help huh??? Too many choices, it''s like potato chips, you can''t have just one!!!
31.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think what style you like and what looks best on your hand is the prefered upgrade. For me, personally, I''d put nearly the entire budget into the diamond and get a nice .8-.99 carat and then buy a simple solitaire setting and if able also a eternity band.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 11:40:44 PM
Author: Mara
Hmm tough call. But having an eternity ring I sometimes think that the right solitaire setting can make the stone look bigger than on something like an eternity band.
Very very true. Was in the BM store today and noticed that same thing
2.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
It''s a tough choice, but I would probably get a slightly bigger diamond on a plain band. A plain band can really show off the diamond and if there''s money left, then get an eternity band. That way you get the best of both world.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As big and nice of a Star 129 or Solasfera I could get, on a 6 prong plain platinum solitaire.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
peony:

All the advice so far is great, but i really think that it depends on your personal style. first you have to decide on the shape of the center and then you have to decide on the style of the setting.

that said, here are my 2cents--A lot of the ladies here talk about how the RB is the most sparkle and brilliance for your $$$$
If you decide to go round I think that Browneyed''s ring is a lovely inspiration that is completely inspiring my choice right now

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-from-nice-ice.23529/=

I think that setting is under 2k

If i go with this I''m planning on getting two thin 3/4 eternity bands to go on either side which i think will be a nice contrast to the plain platinum of the e-ring band...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the largest, best cut diamond that you could afford in a simple solitaire setting. My favorite solitaire setting is the Stuller Solstice which is only $225 in white gold.

I''d go with that and then put one of the Whiteflash Expert Selection H, VS, 1.2 carat stones in it. (They have about 3 right now for $7600-$7900.) Or, even better, you could get an SI ACA (F, G, or H colors) 1.14 or 1.15 or 1.17 for under 8k.

Or, I''d go over my budget to get the Expert Selection 1.64, I, SI2 for $8373.

If you want to put more money into your setting, I''d go with the Whiteflash ACA H, SI1, 1.14 for $6822 and then you have $1200 for the setting.

Notice how I ignored the lower number of your buget, lol.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
put your $$$ into a well cut stone and a simple solitaire setting....timeless, classy and elegant.
2.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 11:28:54 AM
Author: belle
put your $$$ into a well cut stone and a simple solitaire setting....timeless, classy and elegant.
2.gif

I agree. You can always get a different setting down the line, but if you never want to upgrade the diamond itself, use your budget for that. For that kind of money you could probably get a lovely 1-1.25 round in a nice, simple setting. You may be alble to get a larger diamond of similar quality if you get a fancy shape.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
First I will give you the same good advice some others have, which may not seem helpful!
1.gif

I think what style you like and what looks best on your hand; it depends on so many things. i really think that it depends on your personal style... etc.....

However, I can throw my two cents in as well. Those who say invest in the diamond and get an inexpensive solitaire setting do make a good point. Even if you don''t think you will ever want to change it now, you might later. I NEVER thought I would change. My Mom''s wedding and engagement rings are part of her hand. I sometimes wonder if she''s ever taken them off since the wedding! I thought I would be like that. I am sentimental, and thought I would wear both forever. Well, the first month I had my first setting, I learned to HATE it! (How I wish I''d known about pricescope before buying!) So we changed the setting before the wedding, and I am going to change it again. But at least the diamond is a beautiful one, and the one he picked, and was the main ''investment'', so the sentimental part of me will always have my "engagement diamond" no matter what the setting.

Also, solitaire is such a classic look. I agree with Mara, "I sometimes think that the right solitaire setting can make the stone look bigger than on something like an eternity band." I think I have found that as well, although I must admit I like to see some sparkle on the side myself!

Having said that, the ring lovelylulu mentioned, "Browneyed''s ring is a lovely inspiration"https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-e-ring-from-nice-ice.23529/=
is very beautiful, and can make a smaller diamond look bigger with the halo. I also like her idea, "If i go with this I''m planning on getting two thin 3/4 eternity bands to go on either side which i think will be a nice contrast to the plain platinum of the e-ring band..." That would be gorgeous.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. I know it is a tough decision. Good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hee hee WELL is the ring budget is $8k ... here''s another option and one that i would go for...

then you could get that 1.50 J SI2 ACA that WF has right now for ~$7500 and then get the stuller solstice 4 or 6 prong in white gold for $250 or similar (platinum maybe if it''s not too much more) and call it a day. a 1.5c on a stuller? stunning!!! then get an eternity band for the wedding ring later.

DONE!

one thing i think about alot is ''what if''..when i have nothing else to do. aka we spent $10k on my e-ring ~3 years ago. what if i hadn''t gotten a G VS1. what if i knew that i liked J SI2''s if they were well cut. what could i have gotten with that $10k had we spent it differently. my e-ring setting was $2k...what if i had gone with something that wasn''t custom for $1k and gotten 1/2way diamonds.

i do that all the time, of course i ADORE my rings but it''s fun to think about what i would have done if i know what i know now kind of thing....

so i''d just explore all the options and see which fits you better LONG TERM. my first stone was a G VS but then I went to H SI and loved it, so I made a leap of faith to J SI2 and adore it. and it let me go bigger too. so knowing what i know now....
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the biggest ideal cut G-H SI 1-VS 2 stone i can find.

chateau4us

Rough_Rock
I just bought a 1.5 round center stone (VVS2) with another 1 carat (vs1-vs2)in the band in a pave setting. It is stunning. I paid Shenoa & Co. $7241 +$20 shipping. I had it appraised and I asked for a super conservative value and they came up with $8900. My advise is to do your homework, make sure they will give you a full refund if it isn''t what they promise. Make sure that you don''t have the seller size the ring (negates the refund policy because you altered it). The $50-$75 appraisal fee (from an independant appraiser and not the seller) is worth it to make sure. Also, if you buy in a state without sales tax or over the internet, you will save hundreds. Happy shopping!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2005 1:31:14 PM
Author: chateau4us
I just bought a 1.5 round center stone (VVS2) with another 1 carat (vs1-vs2)in the band in a pave setting. It is stunning. I paid Shenoa & Co. $7241 +$20 shipping. I had it appraised and I asked for a super conservative value and they came up with $8900. My advise is to do your homework, make sure they will give you a full refund if it isn''t what they promise. Make sure that you don''t have the seller size the ring (negates the refund policy because you altered it). The $50-$75 appraisal fee (from an independant appraiser and not the seller) is worth it to make sure. Also, if you buy in a state without sales tax or over the internet, you will save hundreds. Happy shopping!
what color? if this stone is well cut with a AGS or GIA report then you got a great deal.remember, you must compare cut quality.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If you really intend to never change the setting, I would go with something simple that won''t go out of style, like the Stuller Solstice people have mentioned or one of the Tiffany look-alike solitaire settings that have been discussed here.

I wouldn''t go with a halo, because although I like those and they do make your diamond look bigger, I think they''re going to scream "mid-2000s" in a few years, so you could end up looking really out of date, if you care about that.

Of course, if you wait long enough, "mid-2000s" could mean "charmingly antique," the way art deco jewelry from the 1920s and 30s is prized today. But think of how today''s taste looks down on the 1980s. Do you want to get that attitude towards your engagement ring in 20 years?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
That''s why i''m leaning toward the tacori halo i posted the link to. Although halos are so popular right now, i think this particular setting is simple enough to endure...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 1:57:52 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 10/13/2005 1:31:14 PM
Author: chateau4us
what color? if this stone is well cut with a AGS or GIA report then you got a great deal.remember, you must compare cut quality.
Chateau mentioned in another post that she bought a 1.5 I VS from Shenoa and it appraised as a K VVS1. Must be EGL Israel graded.
31.gif

rebeclette

Rough_Rock
Hello
26.gif

I''m in a similar situation. I don''t want to change my rings, so I''m having a really hard time deciding what I want.
For me, I actually care more about the setting somewhat than the diamond. Just because I''m sure my boyfriend will pick out a fine diamond.
I''m leaning towards a fancy setting, slightly smaller diamond. I can tell a .9 from a 1.25, but the difference for me isn''t that great, and I''d rather have a beautiful setting than a larger diamond. Right now I am in love with Richard landi and Somos creations antique style rings.

BUT, my favorite setting almost every week, so there is also something to be said for getting a simple yet elegant setting that won''t ever go out of syle.
I''m also considering getting a three stone ring with a 0.75 ct in the center, a whole row of sparkilies for about the same price as the 1 ct solitare.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 12:07:41 PM
Author: Mara
hee hee WELL is the ring budget is $8k ... here''s another option and one that i would go for...

then you could get that 1.50 J SI2 ACA that WF has right now for ~$7500 and then get the stuller solstice 4 or 6 prong in white gold for $250 or similar (platinum maybe if it''s not too much more) and call it a day. a 1.5c on a stuller? stunning!!! then get an eternity band for the wedding ring later.

DONE!

HAHA! I was so about to post this exact same thing...I was thinking, "Hmmm....how about that 1.5 J SI2 that Mara showed me the other day...it was under 8k!!! That''s totally what I''d do!!"

And then I scroll down and Mara has already posted my idea...great minds think alike, huh M???
9.gif

Seriously though, if you really can go up to 8k, I''d jump on this stone and then set it in a plain and simple solitaire. YUMMMM!!!!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Definately the 1.5 and plain band.

That''s what I got. Then, when we could.. we changed out the setting (while looking for wedding bands). Just gives more time and space for the budget.

Put the $$$ in the center stone. Then go back and decorate!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
First, to rebeclette: I was exactly like you, "I [didn''t] want to change my rings, so I [had] a really hard time deciding what I want. For me, I actually care more about the setting somewhat than the diamond. Just because I''m sure my boyfriend will pick out a fine diamond.
I''m leaning towards a fancy setting, slightly smaller diamond. I can tell a .9 from a 1.25, but the difference for me isn''t that great, and I''d rather have a beautiful setting than a larger diamond...BUT, my favorite setting [changes] almost every week, so there is also something to be said for getting a simple yet elegant setting that won''t ever go out of syle."

That was SSOOOO true of me when we were looking. (And still is, although the "didn''t want to change my rings" thing didn''t happen, since I couldn''t find what I wanted and wasn''t going to postpone the wedding!!
2.gif
) Unfortunately the whole thing got botched; I could never find what I wanted, and so I am changing rings! That is partly why I switched to an inexpensive solitaire when I changed my 1st setting, so that I could change it later without having spent a fortune on that setting. (Long story)

I loved how Laney put it:
"Put the $$$ in the center stone. Then go back and decorate!"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results