shape
carat
color
clarity

What stone(s) should I consider for a special project?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1429535606|3864791 said:
I adore fire opal for the colour and price and I love yours TL.

Thank you!

S

SparkliesLuver

Quick update: Gene agreed to cut a piece of Umba garnet for me. :) I'm not sure if it'll end up working for this project - have to see it first - but otherwise, it'll be my red stone that I've wanted for quite some time. Either way, I can't wait. :)

I've also found some blue sapphire rough that would work should I decide to go with his eyes for inspiration. I thought more about the process of cutting a piece of rough and it sort of symbolized the whole journey of my son coming into existence. It seems quite fitting.

While I wait for Gene, I figured I'd try to see as many orange stones as possible while researching the rest of my list.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1429703918|3865770 said:
Quick update: Gene agreed to cut a piece of Umba garnet for me. :) I'm not sure if it'll end up working for this project - have to see it first - but otherwise, it'll be my red stone that I've wanted for quite some time. Either way, I can't wait. :)

I've also found some blue sapphire rough that would work should I decide to go with his eyes for inspiration. I thought more about the process of cutting a piece of rough and it sort of symbolized the whole journey of my son coming into existence. It seems quite fitting.

While I wait for Gene, I figured I'd try to see as many orange stones as possible while researching the rest of my list.

That's great news!! The journey from rough to cut gem is so special! It will only add to the story.
Do you have an inspiration pic of the garnet? Is it from rough he used before?
Congrats with this beautiful choice :wavey:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom said:

That's great news!! The journey from rough to cut gem is so special! It will only add to the story.
Do you have an inspiration pic of the garnet? Is it from rough he used before?
Congrats with this beautiful choice :wavey:
Ooh, Umba garnet should be very special and perfect for such a meaningful piece!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, Acinom. :) He listed one before, maybe a couple months ago, but I was too slow. I was so disappointed that I didn't get it because it didn't look like the typical garnet material. Unfortunately, I didn't save it. :( But it is from the same rough!

I'm glad you think so, mochiko. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

I think I may have found a ring design (or at least the main inspiration) that I love and one that's masculine enough to pass down. What do you think?

13g_setting.jpg

13b_setting.jpg

13c_setting.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1429709299|3865809 said:
I think I may have found a ring design (or at least the main inspiration) that I love and one that's masculine enough to pass down. What do you think?

You have a great eye for beautiful designs! I love this!!!
It will look feminine on you and masculine on your son when he has grown up!
It will be nice to engrave his birth date in the ring.

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw, thank you, Acinom. That means a lot. :) I'm so glad you like it too! I emailed Gene and asked if he could for sure cut a round, just in case this one really speaks to me for this project.

That's true. You know, I hadn't yet thought about engraving, but that's an excellent idea. I'll have to think about if I'd add a special saying or something, too. Thank you for bringing this up!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This design screams round indeed! Plus: a round is great for women and men and an oval less so.

I love the idea of a saying! A saying could also be nice on the outside of the ring. There is one PS-er who did that and it looked gorgeous it was probably on a band, not on a ring.

This is such a great project!!!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Nice -- do you have a photo of the rough?

S

SparkliesLuver

I don't, LK, but I suppose I could ask for one. :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
This design screams round indeed! Plus: a round is great for women and men and an oval less so.
I love the idea of a saying! A saying could also be nice on the outside of the ring. There is one PS-er who did that and it looked gorgeous it was probably on a band, not on a ring.
This is such a great project!!!

Originally I told Gene a square cushion or round, but I emailed him and said definitely round, please. I agree, Acinom; I feel a round is a safe shape.

Oooo, that's true. Hm. This deserves more thought, for sure. Thank you! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I'm sure the umba garnet will be lovely, I'm not sure I see the connection to your son - does the color remind you of your son? I'm with you on your continued search and the more I think about it, the more I like the connection to his eyes. After all, they are the windows to the soul (plus his are adorned with some of the best lashes ever! :bigsmile: ) My vote is to keep looking to find some great sapphire rough.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I feel a literal connection to hair colour or the colour of his eyes is really nice. However, I would prefer a connection with his unique character. Your son seems to be very cheerful and social. A bright and vivid colour would link to that. If he would have been quiet and mysterious, a moonstone would come in view.

Depending on your choice, the Umba will be great if the vivid, fiery and cheerful colour connects with his character and behaviour.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for chiming in, minousbijoux. Honestly, red was my initial choice because it does remind me of his personality. It's a striking color with so much depth, richness and life. However, the more I've thought about it, I love the idea of finding a blue sapphire to coordinate with his eyes. Orange is probably the most obvious choice, because of his hair, but when I think about him I think about his personality and his eyes (and how expressive they are) more so. And I like your point about the eyes being the windows to the soul. :) He does have exceptionally long lashes! haha

S

SparkliesLuver

Exactly, Acinom. I want a nice red stone anyway, so I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. If it's not right for this project, that's okay. I won't ever complain about having another stone from Gene. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Update:

The garnet from Gene is up for sale. For whatever reason I didn't connect with it like I did my tourmaline. It's a gorgeous stone, as to be expected from him, but I want it to be enjoyed. We'll see what happens with it on LT.

I purchased some Montana sapphire rough from Blaze and sent it to Jerry. He just finished it! Picture below. He said it's very clean and beautiful, and that it looks better in-person. So I can't wait to see it! :) I got a little misty eyed when I saw Jerry's pictures, so I have a feeling this will be the stone I use for my son's project. Now if only I could figure out a design. :wall: I love the one I posted above, but Julia Kay Taylor (http://juliakaytaylor.com/) helped me realize that it sits too high for a man's ring. I'm working with her on this project, so I don't doubt she'll help me come up with something perfect.

dsc_0889.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the blue as it reminds me of your son's eyes. What is the mm depth of the sapphire? I would set it in a design I love and enjoy wearing it. In 20 years from now, who knows what he'll love. Maybe even tension set so I wouldn't sweat the design today. He might even enjoy thinking up his very own design.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Chrono. It's 6 x 4.15 mm and 1.22cts.

You actually make an excellent point and one I've been strongly debating since I sent the rough to Jerry. I'm wondering if I should just set it in something I love and know it's in his honor. Then let him decide what to do with it when it's his. Otherwise I feel like I might drive myself (and Julia) nuts trying to figure out something that's unisex enough.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
That Montana sapphire looks great. I like the color very much.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, shulaibaoma. :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful stone, it brings to mind your son's eyes, love it! I also feel you should set it in a setting you will wear and enjoy. It can always be reset down the road if your son is interested in wearing it when he's older.

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw, thank you, junebug17. It means a lot to hear these opinions. I think I was worried about finding something he might like, but I have absolutely no way of knowing what that might be. haha Instead, I think I'll take your suggestions and come up with something I love. Thank you for helping me get over that hump!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry the garnet did not work out... Would it be possible to return it to Gene?

The Montana is amazing! And what a great match with his eyes. I agree that you should set it to match your current taste. Enjoy this beaty!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't hate me for saying this (on the colored stone forum) but I think a diamond would be the best option unless your committed to a colored stone.

S

SparkliesLuver

Me too, Acinom. No, I wouldn't do that to Gene. It's not his fault or issue.
Thank you. :) I'm so glad you like it! Okay - that's good to know you feel that way as well.

haha Thank you for your honest opinion, Lisa. I'm happy you shared it! My dad asked me that as well. He wears a multi-diamond ring on his right hand (that's been passed down) but I feel like a single diamond ring might be odd/different/look like a weird engagement ring. And I wouldn't necessarily want to "copy" his ring since my son will have it one day too. I loved the thought behind something resembling his eyes, so I'm actually quite excited to receive my sapphire tomorrow or Thursday. Then we'll go from there!

sani987cece

Rough_Rock
Another Vote for Spess

S

SparkliesLuver

MINE2015 said:
Another Vote for Spess

Thanks for stopping by and voting! I'm going to see how the blue sapphire looks that I (hopefully) receive tomorrow. A spess is probably my next choice, but I haven't seen any that I love.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping the sapphire is just what you are looking for. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Lisa. :) That's very kind of you to say! My fingers are crossed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results