shape
carat
color
clarity

What stone(s) should I consider for a special project?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Those are the ones that the seller has available, except for the 2nd one down that is already sold.

This is what I consider ideal. I have never seen a spess come close to this in person, but I have also never seeked spess. I am sure it would be a very expensive stone today. I would put this in a pendant to protect it.

At the Feb Intergem, Prima had some nice cleanish spess. I took a pic. My favorites were the cushion and roval on the top row, 3rd and 4th from the left. I have never bought from Prima, but others here have. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/update-intergem-feb-2015.210891/?hilit=intergem']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/update-intergem-feb-2015.210891/?hilit=intergem[/URL]

lembeck_spess.jpg

prima_spess.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Whoa, that's some serious show-stopping color right there! Does material like that even exist at the moment?!

Thanks for the link to your experience, preg. I think I remember this thread now. I've worked with Prima before and wasn't overly thrilled with the results, but that wouldn't stop me from reaching out again.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am guessing not, but I don't know. Any stone with that vivid a color and size would be sought after if it came into the market.

I remember a few years ago a flame spinel came onto the market and I inquired about it before it came to the US. It sold when it got here (at Tucson). If I didn't already have a red spinel with sentimental value, I would have bought it. My spinel is more neutral red, but it is smaller and less vivid that this one (at least based on the one picture). It was posted on PS:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-this-red-spinel.170058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-this-red-spinel.170058/[/URL]

S

SparkliesLuver

My guess would be the same. Oh, for sure! I know my budget isn't huge, so unfortunately I can't hunt them down.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1429279660|3863483 said:
I remember a few years ago a flame spinel came onto the market and I inquired about it before it came to the US. It sold when it got here (at Tucson). If I didn't already have a red spinel with sentimental value, I would have bought it. My spinel is more neutral red, but it is smaller and less vivid that this one (at least based on the one picture). It was posted on PS:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-this-red-spinel.170058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-this-red-spinel.170058/[/URL]

Wow, thanks for posting this. Never came across that thread.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, LK! I'll check both of them out during my lunch. :)

It looks like my research can begin: :read:
-Orange sapphire
-Yellow sapphire
-Chrysoberyl
-Chrysoprase
-Opals
-Garnets (Umba and Spess)
-Sphene
-Faceted stone or cab?

Thank you, everyone! :D It's sincerely appreciated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to withdraw my sphene vote - I realize this is to be a hands on ring; the likelihood of it getting hurt is too high. It would be better in a pendant. I just had to yell it out because I instantaneously thought of it after seeing your cutie. :))

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm going to keep it on there for now, minousbijoux, because I do like it. We'll see what the results yield! :)

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
An important thing to remember with orange is that it is not a primary color, it is a mix of red and yellow. If you take it to its darkest shade, you will end up with brown. For example, take a Pantone card of oranges all the way down, you end up with brownish orange.

oranges.jpg

The picture preg posted is ideal orange, the holy grail "traffic cone orange" (or Home Depot orange!). It probably is not representative of his hair color though which appears more yellow-orange (possibly with some brown tint!)...

I love the idea of a bezel set cabochon, it seems so child-friendly with no edges, and will be easier to repolish if necessary someday.

On another line, or maybe just to complicate matters, what color eyes does he have? :shock:

S

SparkliesLuver

PieAreSquared, you make several valid points. :) And I appreciate the color chart.

You're right - the ideal orange isn't his hair color. It is indeed more yellowy orange with a hint of brown. A bezel set cab would be gorgeous, plus more on the manly side for him in the future. I found this earlier and really liked the concept (minus the side stones).

haha You know, I had that thought earlier, especially since both of us love his eyes. :) This is from a few months ago but his eyes are still pretty much this color. Sorry for the bad picture. This might be a good route too, so thank you for mentioning it!

_588.png

_29161.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
So adorable.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Mastercut has some yellow-orange sapphires that may work for a hair color match

PS - I love this project - and your son is adorable

mastercut_sapphires.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, he's adorable! Look at those cheeks!!! :love:

I honestly don't have any suggestions though I will say I love that opal that was posted!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at those eyelashes! What a cutie. Just think: if you have a ring made from a brightly colored cabachon stone, not only will he inherit it, but it will probably be the ring he remembers confusing for a piece of hard candy! ;))

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
A sapphire in his eye color will be lovely, will his hair darken as he gets older? He is so adorable, the most precious gem in your collection.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I agree that a spess would be lovely, I bought one from Roger Dery last fall & it's become my favorite gem stone ring. Very difficult to photograph & occasionally a bit of brown shows but the sparkle is incredible. I wear it all the time.

Your son is so adorable :bigsmile:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread and the pic of him between the sapphires! What if he reads this when he s older? You have to save this, SL! :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the ginger hair (same colour as my now deceased English grandmother) and thought of a glowing orange/fanta spess or a really dark orange sapphire too. You are in good hands with some of the suggestions that have been made.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I really love carmen's post with your son between the orange sapphires! :lol: He looks fabulous with them! :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, preg. :)

Oh, thank you, carmen1! For some reason I totally forgot to check out what Dana has. Maybe that's a good thing because I missed his sale. :lol:

Thank you, Arcadian. haha Yes, he's quite squeezable. I do as well! It made the list.

haha That's so true, minousbijoux! You make an excellent point. More points for a cab. ;-)

I'm not really sure, Lovinggems. I hope, if anything, it does get darker as opposed to going blonde; I really hope he keeps the red hair. That said, his eye color might be a great inspiration as well! Although something tells me that'll be one heck of a pricey sapphire. :lol: Thank you very much - I couldn't agree more! :)

Oh, which one did you get, woofmama? I really like Roger and would some day like to have one of his stones. I'm happy you love yours so much! Thank you. :)

When I finish the ring, I'll have to print out the thread(s) and put them in his book. haha Thanks for the idea, ilovegemstones!

Thank you, arkieb1. I completely agree. :)

haha He does, doesn't he, ricezo! Maybe I should be worried! ;-) :naughty:

Unfortunately my weekend was filled with tons of yard work, so I didn't get a chance to do any gem research. :(sad But I plan to start this week! Thank you again, everyone. I really can't stress how helpful this has been.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1429279660|3863483 said:
I am guessing not, but I don't know. Any stone with that vivid a color and size would be sought after if it came into the market.

Mexican fire opal can be very vivid, way more vivid orange than the most vivid orange spessartite. However, I don't think her son's hair is a vivid orange. It's more of a yellowish orange with medium saturation, ;-)

I don't think anyone can attain vivid orange hair unless they dye it that color of course. Even the most vivid red hair isn't so orange that it glows neon. LOL!

Here's my Mexican fire opal. They're not super crazy expensive either, but you can find less saturated stones too for a reasonable price, or even orangish welo opal

_29244.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for stopping by again, TL! :) Yeah, I'd agree: he doesn't have vivid orange hair. It is more yellowish orange with some brown and a slightly darker tone. The second picture I posted looks lighter and brighter because of the store lights. I really like your Mexican fire opal! And the cut. I plan to look at some orangish welo opals too. I haven't ever looked at orange and yellow stones IRL so I want to do that first. Get a feel for them, and then make a purchase. Maybe I'll make it to AZ next year!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1429532579|3864767 said:
Thanks for stopping by again, TL! :) Yeah, I'd agree: he doesn't have vivid orange hair. It is more yellowish orange with some brown and a slightly darker tone. The second picture I posted looks lighter and brighter because of the store lights. I really like your Mexican fire opal! And the cut. I plan to look at some orangish welo opals too. I haven't ever looked at orange and yellow stones IRL so I want to do that first. Get a feel for them, and then make a purchase. Maybe I'll make it to AZ next year!

Thanks, I got it from osirisgems (Uli), and he also had some Oregon fire opal with is actually more the color of your son's hair. It's not as vivid as the Mexican material.

Here's another pic of the Mexican fire opal (with demantoids), and I don't think this is representative of his hair at all. The other pic is one of his Oregon fire opals. Maybe he has some material left if you like it, but I think it's far more representative of your son's hair.

_29245.jpg

or_fireopal2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Yep, I can totally see what you mean, and you're right. The Oregon fire opal is very close to what his hair color is. My birthstone is citrine, which I also thought about exploring. By the way, your demantoids are lovely! :love: :lickout:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1429533106|3864772 said:
Yep, I can totally see what you mean, and you're right. The Oregon fire opal is very close to what his hair color is. My birthstone is citrine, which I also thought about exploring. By the way, your demantoids are lovely! :love: :lickout:

Thank you! Citrine is another great option, and very affordable too.

S

SparkliesLuver

:) I noticed that Uli has some citrine too, so I'll keep him in mind.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I adore fire opal for the colour and price and I love yours TL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think his eyes will stay the same shade of blue?

S

SparkliesLuver

If I had to guess, Chrono, I'd say they might get a bit darker. Right now they're almost a sky blue. Mine were that color too when I was younger but they darkened a bit as I grew up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results