shape
carat
color
clarity

What sort of work do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Relocation Manager for United States Marine Corps. We assist Marines in their changing of station to other bases.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am now a real estate agent. Until last October I was the Chief Compliance officer of a financial firm but now I enjoy what I do so much I can''t even call it "work"!

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I am a National Accounts Coordinator for the largest Wireless Service in the US...

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 3:29:28 PM
Author: autumngems
I am a Relocation Manager for United States Marine Corps. We assist Marines in their changing of station to other bases.
Are you in the service or a civilian?

Yay to the troops
35.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 1:47:19 PM
Author: icekid
I can finally say... I''m a doctor!! pretty exciting for the time being, but will be far far less exciting next weekend when I have to work some odd 42 hours over 4th of July weekend
25.gif
Ahh....internship, I think I was on or post every holiday except New Year''s. Well I am on the 4th too, so you are not alone.

4th year and graduation are so exciting. I have never felt more accomplished that that period of my life....enjoy it, because all the fun stuff that interns do make you forget quickly. Things get a lot nicer when you are a senior.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 11:02:56 AM
Author: Clio

Author: kcoursolle

Clio, can you teach me the tricks to the grant application process?

kcoursolle, the most important thing is to get in touch with the granting institution! We provide applicants with sample proposals and, in most of our programs, will read and offer feedback on draft proposals. You''d be surprised how many applicants don''t ask for that kind of help, which we will provide for anyone. You''d also be surprised how many people don''t read the program guidelines carefully.

Of course, the level of help will vary by institution, but many do offer similar types of help, and virtually all grantmaking institutions that I know of will at least have a conversation with you to determine if your project is a good fit.

When writing a proposal, clarity is key!
Clio, this was very helpful. I had no idea that granting institutions will often read over proposals. How useful! There should really be a class at the Ph.D. level about how to apply to grants. We are expected to get then when we enter our first R1 job, but many times none of us have done it before as graduate students. I may be asking you more questions in the next couple of years!

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
I''m a critical care RN (12 yrs). I work the different ICUs and in the ER. I also am a Family Nurse Practitioner student and will graduate May 2009. I would love to do pediatric endocrinology when I am done.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2008 3:46:48 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I''m an analyst on the strategy team for a large marketing firm. I work pretty closely with the creative side--my role is to create the strategy for the marketing campaign and their job is to execute the campaign, then when the campaign is over we get all of the data back and other analysts crunch the numbers and my team comes up with a new campaign. I only work with one client, but they are a huge client and there are literally hundreds of us on the account all playing different roles.

I''ve always been an analyst, but being in strategy allows me to be more creative and so far I really like it.

Still, my weekends are what I live for! D and I have way too many hobbies to squeeze into our non-working lives!
I work part-time (3 days/week) for a Marketing and Branding Consultancy that preforms a similar fuction to what NewEnglandLady describes above. I work on the creative team; doing graphic design work and I also head-up the social commitee planning all of our company events.

THEN...

I work 3 days a week as a florist. I
emlove.gif
this with a passion.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I just finished my B.A in Interior design from San Diego State University. The job outlook is not good right now so I''m currently enjoying my role as a housewife.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
What era is your favorite to decorate a room?I like a room to have warm colors and alot of texture.My home has wood furniture in the mission and arts and craft movement style,pottery,hand blown glass,and art by Van Gogh(would love an original!)If i had the means to do so, I would decorate in the Neo-classic style.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 3:02:58 AM
Author: jewelerman
What era is your favorite to decorate a room?I like a room to have warm colors and alot of texture.My home has wood furniture in the mission and arts and craft movement style,pottery,hand blown glass,and art by Van Gogh(would love an original!)If i had the means to do so, I would decorate in the Neo-classic style.
I think I would die and go to heaven if I could have a Craftsman bungalow! I grew up in an old one in Los Angeles and I have great, fond memories. Otherwise, I like it all except for uber traditional styles. The style I prefer is classified as modern and I like clean lines and classic furniture. I do like warm colors and am drawn towards varied textures. On the other hand, I also like cool colors and can appreciate a room that has both elements of warm and cool. It''s going to be a real challenge when I go to design my house because I''m so fickle.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I just started a new job-I am Grad Advisor for a PhD program at USC-basically coordinating admissions and advising them on their screening, quals, dissertation/defense procedures. Prior to this I worked in admissions and institutional research at Univ. of Pennsylvania and was an academic counselor at UCI.

I have a MA in History from Columbia and a MS in Higher Ed Admin from UPenn, and I am hoping to start a doctoral program in the coming years in either of those fields :) :) :) More than likely in Higher Ed.
36.gif
36.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I am a customer service rep for a major steamship line. It''s not my dream job, but I managed to start a week after graduating with my BA, so that was nice. I love the people I work with, though, so even though I don''t love my job, I enjoy going most days. What I do like is being the person on the phone that is really TRYING. You know when you get those awful customer service reps on the phone after you''ve been waiting for ages and they give up right away or give you attitude? It''s basically my goal to be the exact opposite of that. So at least I have something to work hard for.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It wouldn''t happen to start with "O,", would it?
1.gif

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
I''m a customer service rep at a bank. I just switched jobs from healthcare, because it just wasn''t for me. I''m still a college student and I''m thinking about going into mortgage underwriting. Call me crazy, but I''ve been interested in it since I bought my first house!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 12:38:32 PM
Author: Harriet
It wouldn''t happen to start with ''O,'', would it?
1.gif

Was that to me?

If so....nope. It starts with an "M".

If not...I feel like a dork.
2.gif

Beaglemom

Shiny_Rock
Such a variety of jobs listed here! I''ve been doing hospital and home health billing for a rural hospital for over 20 years. It can be very challenging. So many rules and changes to keep up with. Seems like something new or changing every month. Most days I really enjoy it.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 1:56:31 AM
Author: heraanderson
I just finished my B.A in Interior design from San Diego State University. The job outlook is not good right now so I''m currently enjoying my role as a housewife.

Hey, if you need to get some designing in, you can come over and do my half remodeled home, with nothing but white walls right now.
7.gif
I had to nix the entire process for my daughters wedding, but I need to figure out what to do with the bathroom and colors in a very big way. I can''t figure out sinks, and faucets and tile and blah, blah, blah...too many choices. I''m just 5 miles from SDSU and I will pay.
9.gif
35.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 3:38:12 PM
Author: princesss

1.gif

Was that to me?

If so....nope. It starts with an ''M''.

2.gif
It was to you, so you don''t have to feel like a dork.
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 8:07:34 PM
Date: 6/29/2008 3:38:12 PM

Author: princesss

1.gif

Was that to me?

If so....nope. It starts with an ''M''.

2.gif
It was to you, so you don''t have to feel like a dork.
1.gif

Good to know I don''t have to feel like a dork.
3.gif

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
I am an RN but I also have a degree in business- working as RN clinical project manager currently

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I''m an RN and work in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. I love it. Prior to that I taught high school/middle school math (only for one year).

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purrfectpear,

I am a civilian working for the Marine Corps

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:13:59 PM
Author: miraclesrule

Hey, if you need to get some designing in, you can come over and do my half remodeled home, with nothing but white walls right now.
7.gif
I had to nix the entire process for my daughters wedding, but I need to figure out what to do with the bathroom and colors in a very big way. I can''t figure out sinks, and faucets and tile and blah, blah, blah...too many choices. I''m just 5 miles from SDSU and I will pay.
9.gif
35.gif
Oh my gosh, I would love to help you! I would get to meet another pricescoper AND help with your interior!

Brynn

Rough_Rock
Littlelysser! Oh holy schmoly. You just confirmed my greatest fear that I've made an awful mistake about coming to law school.

I was a CPA before I started school and saw the same things you saw while practicing at a Big Four Accounting Firm.

The plan now is to either become a career counselor at a Law School, a University Tax Professor or to work for the IRS after graduation. Likely end career though? A SAHM.

1.gif

ETA: A SAHM and a Cavalier breeder! SO ADORABLE!!!
30.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 3:19:19 PM

I just finished my B.A in Interior design from San Diego State University. The job outlook is not good right now so I'm currently enjoying my role as a housewife.

7.gif
I had to nix the entire process for my daughters wedding, but I need to figure out what to do with the bathroom and colors in a very big way. I can't figure out sinks, and faucets and tile and blah, blah, blah...too many choices. I'm just 5 miles from SDSU and I will pay.
9.gif
35.gif
Oh my gosh, I would love to help you! I would get to meet another pricescoper AND help with your interior!
OMG, if you would do that, you would be about the most blessed thing to have entered my life in a long time.
30.gif

And I would be eternally grateful...I knew that if I was patient enough, the universe would present me with the right person at the right time.
35.gif

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I work in Risk Advisory Services for one of the Big 4. My clients are investment companies, investment mangers, hedge funds, their holding companies, and some banks and insurance companies. My expertise is regulatory risk.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 5:34:54 PM
Author: Brynn

Littlelysser! Oh holy schmoly. You just confirmed my greatest fear that I''ve made an awful mistake about coming to law school.

I was a CPA before I started school and saw the same things you saw while practicing at a Big Four Accounting Firm.

The plan now is to either become a career counselor at a Law School, a University Tax Professor or to work for the IRS after graduation. Likely end career though? A SAHM.

1.gif

ETA: A SAHM and a Cavalier breeder! SO ADORABLE!!!
30.gif
I also felt discouraged reading not only littlelysser''s post but also the numerous articles about the saturation in the legal field and the discontent among attorneys. Although, I think many people who go to law school don''t really know what it''s like to be a lawyer and don''t fully investigate the profession end up regretting their decision. Some people are eternal students and like learning about the law but not necessarily practice it. I worked around several attorneys growing up and spoke with attorneys and judges prior to entering law school so I had an idea about what it was like to practice law. I also realized that if I wanted to be marketable and be able to have greater control over where I worked, I would need a specialization. I hope to work for a few years in a firm then transition into corporate healthcare legal work. Let me know what you end up doing.
1.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 8:16:15 PM

Date: 6/30/2008 3:19:19 PM

7.gif
9.gif
35.gif
OMG, if you would do that, you would be about the most blessed thing to have entered my life in a long time.
30.gif

And I would be eternally grateful...I knew that if I was patient enough, the universe would present me with the right person at the right time.
35.gif
Let me know when you''re ready and we can meet up
1.gif

Icy Melona

Shiny_Rock
I worked as product manager in market research now joined privately owned business in refractories as acc manager. But I dream of becoming an homeopath or alternative therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results