shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the SQ footage of your current home?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
3100 sf. Built in 1999 on 2 acre wooded lot. Probably tripled in price since then but I have no plans to move since kids keep returning home to live. DH thinks we should move so they CAN'T return!! :D

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1500 sq foot...2 story built in 1913, it sits on a 1/2 acre lot, we paid 74,000 in 1993 :wink2:

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
2,550 sf two story home purchased 4 months ago for $202k.

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
1900 sq. ft.
single level
It's inside the Beltway in DC, so you can guesstimate the price.
1.5 years

~LC

mlk

Shiny_Rock
2400 sq ft (I think the conversion is right from sq metres).
Three story detached brand new terrace.
Purchased 18 months ago from the developers but probably overpaid since our next door neighbours sold after 12 months at a bit of a loss. Live in a harbour suburb of Sydney, so prices normally go upwards. No plans to sell in the near future, so hopefully would not make a loss.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I am so envious of the housing prices in the 90's! I am twenty years too young, sadly. Boo.

I can't remember the exact footage of our house. It's around 3000. Two storey, with additional basement. Will be here a year in Feb. As for price, more than what we would have liked to spend, but lower than what the house is valued at. Sellers were really difficult people to work with - we were persistent but others gave up. We easily bought it for at least 300-400K lower than what we can sell it for today.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha. I couldn't figure out why everyone in this thread was typing 'story' instead of 'storey'. Figured that it couldn't really be three pages worth of typos, so I googled it. Apparently 'storey' is British and 'story' American. Right ho!

Carry on, folks. Just my incoherent musings. :wink2:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix|1326359376|3101068 said:
3,500sq ft lived in and 4,100 sq ft land
2-storey
none of your beeswax!! :cheeky:
6 years

:naughty: That's a good investment portfolio right there Phoenix... knowing which country you are from... :tongue:

I'm glad you're doing well :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3400 sq. ft., 1 1/2 story (more sq. ft. down), bought 2 years ago new construction, and price is noyb!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We live in two story Four Square built in 1926. It's a hair under 2,000 square feet. It felt like plenty of room until we had a baby. Now that our house is overrun with kiddie stuff, I wish we had a little more space.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just bought an 1800 sq. foot, 2-story home last May with the intent of only staying in it for ~5 years. It's a great size for us and we got it for a reasonable price since it had gone into foreclosure. It was built 10 years ago, so not too old, but the neighborhood is old enough to have some mature trees and landscaping which is nice. I grew up in a house that was almost 6k square feet and my mom has always complained about cleaning it (even WITH help) so I'm glad we have what we have. We can clean it in half a day when we do a deep clean and we don't have to worry about paying someone to help.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2800 sq ft
bought 6 yrs ago
Price is too painful to think about -- it's current value is sooooo much less than we paid :((

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1326389146|3101298 said:
mrs. taylor|1326372777|3101109 said:
IN general conversation it's clearly uncouth to ask about such things. I figured it was really more of a how much do you get where you are? kind of question. For instance my 1600ish square feet would go for a quarter of what I paid or 5 times what I paid depending where you put it! Similarly the number reflects nothing unless you know the COL of the area the person is in.

Now, if a "friend" that was local asked I'd clutch my pearls and change the subject!

This is me when I saw this thread.

Well, other than the fact that I'm not inclined to put too much of my personal info in a single post on the WWW, and find the endless "what did you have for lunch" type threads a bit too inane to respond to most times, I don't find questions about how much I paid for my home to be rude, unless I find the particular person asking to be a rude person, and most people who've asked me over the years have not been. I have nothing to be ashamed of in how much I paid, nor do I worry it might reveal much about my income. I also don't find such questions too intrusive, because in reality, how much I paid is a matter of public record. I, or anyone truly inclined, can go to the county assessor's website and find out square footage and who paid how much for any property, any time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our NYC apt is 2500 square feet(with a small terrace-not sure of its dimensions) and our Jersey Shore beach house is 3500 square feet with outdoor space about 12,000 sq feet.
We have lived at our apt since 2004 and we bought our new beach house March 2011 and sold our first beach house that we bought in 1999. With renovations included we broke even with the sale of our first beach house but it allowed us to put the down payment on our new one so it worked out for us.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1326376309|3101126 said:
Its really interesting to see the variation in price for houses of similar size.

I agree, Chemgirl. This is kind of OT but I also think it's interesting to see what people consider their dream home, in terms of size. I think it kind of depends on layout, but my dream house would probably be around 1600-1800 square feet (3 bdrms, 2 baths, spacious but not huge rooms, and a finished basement or room above a 2 car garage for my husband's toys). I've seen houses that were listed as 1500 square feet and some seemed huge while others seemed really tiny. Again, I think it all depends on how the house laid out.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1326479566|3102211 said:
We live in two story Four Square built in 1926. It's a hair under 2,000 square feet. It felt like plenty of room until we had a baby. Now that our house is overrun with kiddie stuff, I wish we had a little more space.

same w/us regarding the babies. ours is 2200 or 2300, I forgot but now with twins we have baby gear everywhere. I would love to sell our house and buy one a tiny bit bigger but maybe now isn't the time? anyway, we bought ours in 2001 which was a great time to buy; we have 5 years or less left on our mortgage.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1326493553|3102406 said:
Our NYC apt is 2500 square feet(with a small terrace-not sure of its dimensions) and our Jersey Shore beach house is 3500 square feet with outdoor space about 12,000 sq feet.
We have lived at our apt since 2004 and we bought our new beach house March 2011 and sold our first beach house that we bought in 1999. With renovations included we broke even with the sale of our first beach house but it allowed us to put the down payment on our new one so it worked out for us.

I remember your pictures of your houses, so beautiful!!!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I love reading these responses-it's just like House Hunters.

We built our dream house on Lake Huron 6 years ago and we have about $450,000 in it. I don't think about what it would sell for now since we never plan to move.

The Florida house was a great deal. We bought it three years ago for under $150.000. 1500 sq. feet with a pool in a nice neighborhood.
I think prices here are still going down, though.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
about 2500 sq ft, two stories, four years, we paid too much, and I'm still mad about that.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to say the lake house is 2600 sq. ft.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
We live in a house in Boston so things are stupid NYC, SF expensive... 2500 sq feet in a house built in 1904. That gets you a no car garage, but a top 10 school district. The prices of houses in Mass are all directly related to how good the towns schools are, so prices vary insanely from town to town here. You can't buy a single family in a close to Boston suburb with top 10 school for less than 600k--and that's for a tear down essentially. Meh

Eta: house is 3 stories--city living so you build up. Well the previous owner did...

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1326494739|3102421 said:
Its really interesting to see the variation in price for houses of similar size.

I agree, Chemgirl. This is kind of OT but I also think it's interesting to see what people consider their dream home, in terms of size. I think it kind of depends on layout, but my dream house would probably be around 1600-1800 square feet (3 bdrms, 2 baths, spacious but not huge rooms, and a finished basement or room above a 2 car garage for my husband's toys). I've seen houses that were listed as 1500 square feet and some seemed huge while others seemed really tiny. Again, I think it all depends on how the house laid out.

I agree completely. Our house is tiny compared to the average in this thread, but it feels big because of the open concept main floor, skylight on the landing, and vaulted ceiling in the master. Its the small details that open up the space and make it feel larger than it is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1326497289|3102450 said:
missy|1326493553|3102406 said:

I remember your pictures of your houses, so beautiful!!!

Thank you Skippy- you are so sweet!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1326507481|3102583 said:
Zoe|1326494739|3102421 said:

I agree completely. Our house is tiny compared to the average in this thread, but it feels big because of the open concept main floor, skylight on the landing, and vaulted ceiling in the master. Its the small details that open up the space and make it feel larger than it is.
FYI..the avg PSer's home is 2300 sq ft.... ;))

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ksinger|1326493184|3102401 said:
IN general conversation it's clearly uncouth to ask about such things. I figured it was really more of a how much do you get where you are? kind of question. For instance my 1600ish square feet would go for a quarter of what I paid or 5 times what I paid depending where you put it! Similarly the number reflects nothing unless you know the COL of the area the person is in.

Now, if a "friend" that was local asked I'd clutch my pearls and change the subject!

Well, other than the fact that I'm not inclined to put too much of my personal info in a single post on the WWW, and find the endless "what did you have for lunch" type threads a bit too inane to respond to most times, I don't find questions about how much I paid for my home to be rude, unless I find the particular person asking to be a rude person, and most people who've asked me over the years have not been. I have nothing to be ashamed of in how much I paid, nor do I worry it might reveal much about my income. I also don't find such questions too intrusive, because in reality, how much I paid is a matter of public record. I, or anyone truly inclined, can go to the county assessor's website and find out square footage and who paid how much for any property, any time.

Houses are interesting, I'm always curious about where people live, what kind of house or apartment they have or would like, where it is and so on and enjoy chatting about that, hence my reply. I do on the other hand find that questions about price are distasteful. It's just the way I was brought up. No one I ever met in real life has asked such a question, it just is not done here. I personally find it extremely discourteous. Of course, I was raised and live in a different culture, so perhaps that's the reason. Clearly, if others don't find it rude, objectively it isn't and I can just live with it. ;))

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
We live in a 2200 sqft two story craftsman style home. It has two floors and an unfinished basement.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1326532288|3102798 said:
Houses are interesting, I'm always curious about where people live, what kind of house or apartment they have or would like, where it is and so on and enjoy chatting about that, hence my reply. I do on the other hand find that questions about price are distasteful. It's just the way I was brought up. No one I ever met in real life has asked such a question, it just is not done here. I personally find it extremely discourteous. Of course, I was raised and live in a different culture, so perhaps that's the reason. Clearly, if others don't find it rude, objectively it isn't and I can just live with it. ;))

I agree Jennifer. I do not think it is a cultural difference so much though as we think it is rude to ask the price of homes in the USA as well. Unless of course it is to your RE agent when you are home shopping LOL. :bigsmile:

My dh and I just saw a brownstone in our neighborhood (about 2400 sq feet as per the broker)- 3 stories and finished basement and small garden- asking price 2 MM. 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. It went on the market yesterday (we saw it on the first day of preview showing yesterday) and they already had an offer for asking price on it with 20% down! The selling broker thinks it will go within a week and for over asking price!

My dh and I liked the house but it was not 2 MM great IMO. Not enough closet space, no parking, lack of kitchen storage, lack of storage in general, and north facing garden. No en suite bathroom in the master bedroom. Maybe this is a good sign that the house market is improving though our area is a special niche because there is so little that has become available for sale here in the last few years. Last summer a small but lovely townhouse with driveway and garage went on the market for 3.6 MM and sold within the month for 3.2 MM. I cannot remember the sq footage but it was a bit larger than yesterday's brownstone and it had parking.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1326532288|3102798 said:
ksinger|1326493184|3102401 said:

Maybe it doesn't bother me so much because what I paid seems like ancient history now. I bought in '98, so the whole pricing thing was way different. That and I'm less than 2 years from payoff (woot!), so again, it just doesn't seem to matter anymore.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
If I met any of you in real life it would never occur to me to ask you the price of your house. But this is a situation of relative anonymity, so I don't have any problem with it.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I rent about 800 sqft for $1600/month (upstairs 1/2 duplex), we've been here 18 months.

The whole 1600 sq ft house sold for at least $899,999 2 months ago (3 days after listing!).
We'll be moving somewhere smaller and cheaper the end of next month :bigsmile: .

Housing prices in my city are forecast to drop by about 50% in the next few years.....we'll see if that happens :lol:.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results