shape
carat
color
clarity

What happen to all the professional jewelers on PriceScope?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What happen to all the professional jewelers on PriceSco

msop04|1416354147|3786025 said:
Chrono|1416352951|3786012 said:
I prefer to call them high and low coloured diamonds rather than good or poor coloured diamonds. FCDs are also tainted by impurities to make them look pink or blue or whatever colour. By your definition, these diamonds should be worth a lot less due to their lack of purity as they are tainted by boron and other impurities.

Exactly... even Cartier, VCA, Tiffany, etc. sell those impure, tainted diamonds for top dollar. :roll:

I think Fancy Colored diamonds are a bit different from X, Y, Z lower color diamonds. There is more yellow, pink, blue not just more brown and brownish yellow in them.

If Cubic Z's were not invented, I bet the D color diamond would be more sought after. So it has been said that D color is more expensive because it is rarer, but that doesn't count for anything on this forum, does it, probably because most of us
cannot afford D color diamonds so easily. Yes an M color diamond is worth a lot of money in a large size but it is not worth as much as a diamond in a higher color in the same size, even if the color is K.

A diamond looks good from the top because of the cut, but the side view does matter too. This forum however, promotes that the top view only matters in the same way Clarity is graded from the top. Color is not clarity though and can be seen from across a hand when you are next to someone, (especially in a high set diamond which most large diamonds have to be due to their size) whereas an inclusion cannot so easily due to movement of the hand.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1416358060|3786061 said:
It cost more because more people desire it.

Demand is only half of the reason D's cost more.
The other half is supply.

Nature gives us fewer Ds than Ms.

Even if you fall for that conspiracy theory that all colors are equally abundant from nature, but DeBeers squirrels away the DEF,s that's still a limited supply.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

RandG said:
I just don't understand why even the most benign topics seem to morph into these very divisive, totally subjective and baseless diatribes that invariably insult people for their choices.

Here's one of those big bargain basement cheap diamonds with a truly awful HCA. I probably should have paid up for the ideal D with optimal light return...
NICE looking stone Rand G!!
I bought a seriously cool K/SI2 GIA triple EX for my wife about 4 years back- over 5 on the HCA- and a GORGEOUS 60/60

We don't own it anymore and we still miss it......

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1416359446|3786081 said:
Dancing Fire said:
David
please show us a sparky 2ct RB with a 3ct diameter size.

Speaking of Fancy Shapes DF
OK, please post pics of your fancy shape "pancake" diamond... :bigsmile:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

kenny|1416359636|3786084 said:

Even if you fall for that conspiracy theory that all colors are equally abundant from nature, but DeBeers squirrels away the DEF,s that's still a limited supply.

Interesting speculation- but who knows.

I can say that doing a search this evening for 1.05ct D/VS2 Triple EX GIA yielded 54 diamonds.
I changed one search parameter-- from D color to M color and got exactly.....ONE diamond listed worldwide.....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire|1416359815|3786088 said:
Rockdiamond|1416359446|3786081 said:
Dancing Fire said:
David
please show us a sparky 2ct RB with a 3ct diameter size.

Speaking of Fancy Shapes DF
OK, please post pics of your fancy shape "pancake" diamond... :bigsmile:

So we can have another clusterXXXX while certain people tear apart my photographs...no thanks :naughty:
But if you Google the term "Cushion Diamond" and look at the images, my photos are pretty easy to find

This isn't about my diamonds - it's about how to best advise people and have everyone live in peace and harmony....
And then I woke up.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sometime I wonder if that is true?.. :confused: :read:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

Rockdiamond|1416359657|3786086 said:
RandG said:
I just don't understand why even the most benign topics seem to morph into these very divisive, totally subjective and baseless diatribes that invariably insult people for their choices.

Here's one of those big bargain basement cheap diamonds with a truly awful HCA. I probably should have paid up for the ideal D with optimal light return...
I bought a seriously cool K/SI2 GIA triple EX for my wife about 4 years back- over 5 on the HCA- and a GORGEOUS 60/60

As one of the professionals I follow on this forum, I thank you for your posts-- they speak a truth I can relate to.
Yes, this terrible K is also a 60/60, yet another reason I should have gone for the perfect D. Those darn 60/60 stones...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1416358309|3786065 said:
Dancing Fire|1416358151|3786063 said:
cflutist|1416356655|3786049 said:
Dancing Fire|1416356244|3786044 said:
Rockdiamond|1416354964|3786036 said:
Then we come to the issue of cut- What is "good light performance"?
It's what that person likes.
It's not necessarily "better".
But why on earth would someone prefer a leaky diamond over a sparky diamond?... :confused:

Because it is less expensive and/or larger :confused:
I said it many times on PS...size means nothing if IT does not perform. Who cares about a dead looking 3ct stone.. :knockout: :wall:

Who wants a really sparkly 3 carat that looks half the size as another really sparkly 3 carat that someone here on Pricescope arbitrarily says has "leakage problems" ?

Really do believe that fancy cut is the way to go if you want the biggest diamond you can get, my sister goes for all fancy cuts, not big diamonds but fancy cut is her preference and she has long fingers. Look great on her. Most of the celeb rings are fancy cut usually. Think you need to step up your fancy cuts on pricescope by getting them set in fancy rings. I like large pear cuts but don't like how they reach the creased bits of my knuckle on my ring finger, so can only wear them on my middle finger and even then in a little size. Don't like them set side ways. People who have long fingers are really lucky.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond said:

I can say that doing a search this evening for 1.05ct D/VS2 Triple EX GIA yielded 54 diamonds.
I changed one search parameter-- from D color to M color and got exactly.....ONE diamond listed worldwide.....

Although some simply "like what they like," I think others may need to feel some validation for spending so much on a D/FL stone. They want/need to feel like their stone is superior to all others... regardless of what anyone else thinks. And that's all well and good -- until they begin to poopoo on others' diamonds.

Buy what you like or whatever suits your own personal needs in a diamond... It's really that simple. [emoji4]

As kenny always says, "People vary."

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RandG|1416360317|3786096 said:
RandG said:

As one of the professionals I follow on this forum, I thank you for your posts-- they speak a truth I can relate to.
Yes, this terrible K is also a 60/60, yet another reason I should have gone for the perfect D. Those darn 60/60 stones...

I don't think a D is perfect and better. It is the way people here promote that higher color is no better, so if that is the case it should all cost the same or much nearer to the same price than it does. These same people though show off their O colors and ooh and aaah over them. The forum is lopsided as in it veers towards old cut and color below K,L. In the UK here most people have diamonds about third carat brilliant cut or maybe emerald or pear cut and if they were O colored they would not look as nice as the more frequently seen mid ranges of G to I.

Mind you I agree with Diamondseeker when she says that old cut can be lower than brilliant cut, but to say it is the same as more expensive color is not right in my opinion, even if it is mined and not constructed by humans. If it is no better then I do think the price should reflect that too.

Diamond2014

Rough_Rock

Since O color is the same as K color and K color is the same as D. And since Cubic Zirconia looks the same as Diamond, why don't people just buy Cubic Zirconia and put it on the setting

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond2014|1416360751|3786103 said:
Since O color is the same as K color and K color is the same as D. And since Cubic Zirconia looks the same as Diamond, why don't people just buy Cubic Zirconia and put it on the setting
Absolutely no one is saying that.

But OK.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pyramid|1416360568|3786100 said:
RandG said:

I don't think a D is perfect and better. It is the way people here promote that higher color is no better, so if that is the case it should all cost the same or much nearer to the same price than it does. These same people though show off their O colors and ooh and aaah over them. The forum is lopsided as in it veers towards old cut and color below K,L. In the UK here most people have diamonds about third carat brilliant cut or maybe emerald or pear cut and if they were O colored they would not look as nice as the more frequently seen mid ranges of G to I.

To be fair though, G-I colour is probably all the UK diamonds have in their favour. Most I have seen (and I used to work for Goldsmiths) weren't well cut and very included.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond2014|1416360751|3786103 said:
B/c my wife will kill me and then divorce me... :lol:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie

The ones that get me are the Leo cuts which are an excellent cut, remember Leo Schact (spelling?) writing on pricescope a few times, they come from one of the chain stores (not Goldsmiths) with their little card and are graded I SI2. Why can't they do VS2 or SI1s. Maybe the chain store buyers specify what they want to sell in the UK though. I liked one once and would have bought it as an I but the clarity put me off as I didn't know if the IGI lab would be that or P1.

Loved the shape of the Goldsmiths millenium cut they sold with the like rocking chair bottom, never got one though but knew someone who did for their engagement ring and it really suited them.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pyramid|1416361496|3786116 said:
Maisie

The ones that get me are the Leo cuts which are an excellent cut, remember Leo Schact (spelling?) writing on pricescope a few times, they come from one of the chain stores (not Goldsmiths) with their little card and are graded I SI2. Why can't they do VS2 or SI1s. Maybe the chain store buyers specify what they want to sell in the UK though. I liked one once and would have bought it as an I but the clarity put me off as I didn't know if the IGI lab would be that or P1.

Loved the shape of the Goldsmiths millenium cut they sold with the like rocking chair bottom, never got one though but knew someone who did for their engagement ring and it really suited them.

That cut was very unusual and pretty. It was pretty sparkly.

I think the majority of people in the UK don't know or care to understand much about diamonds. My daughter has a Brian Gavin signature diamond and it was only because I introduced her fiance to them. She would have been presented with a 1/3 ct stone from a high street store. I'm sure she would have loved it but I wanted the best for her.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

RandG said:

I don't think a D is perfect and better. It is the way people here promote that higher color is no better, so if that is the case it should all cost the same or much nearer to the same price then it does. These same people though show off their O colors and ooh and aaah over them. The forum is lopsided as in it veers towards old cut and color below K,L. In the UK here most people have diamonds about third carat maybe and if they were O colored they would not look as nice as the more frequently seen mid ranges or G to I.

No question there are differences by region. Look, if higher color/clarity speaks to you-- I would never presume to judge.
Buying a K that performs just as well, if not better than a D is an opportunity. I paid well below Rap for that K stone. Had it been a premium branded stone, I would have paid well over Rap. Does that make it better, more acceptable?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RandG|1416361916|3786124 said:
RandG said:

I don't think a D is perfect and better. It is the way people here promote that higher color is no better, so if that is the case it should all cost the same or much nearer to the same price then it does. These same people though show off their O colors and ooh and aaah over them. The forum is lopsided as in it veers towards old cut and color below K,L. In the UK here most people have diamonds about third carat maybe and if they were O colored they would not look as nice as the more frequently seen mid ranges or G to I.

No question there are differences by region. Look, if higher color/clarity speaks to you-- I would never presume to judge.
Buying a K that performs just as well, if not better than a D is an opportunity. I paid well below Rap for that K stone. Had it been a premium branded stone, I would have paid well over Rap. Does that make it better, more acceptable?

I don't see that as the same thing, how it performs it due to its cut, whereas the D and the K are color and show from the side view of the stone not where the cut is showing from. Premium brand is different too, I feel it has worth if you buy into that, which I don't, meaning you know to begin with that it is a designer make or the history of Tiffany etc. However D color is a lot more expensive than K and people are saying you are paying for nothing other than your preference because one is no better than the other. Oh and it has nothing in my mind to do with superior, I am not for superior people. It is to do with value or being ripped off for paying something that even vendors are saying is no better.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

If I post a shot of the K from the side will that influence your perspective? Here's a J (also off the charts terrible HCA) from the side. Cut is important, no doubt, but I've had poorly cut stones that performed well, and well cut stones that were lifeless and boring. Choosing a diamond is a balance. It's not about any one characteristic defining a stones beauty. Its the totality of how those characteristics work in tandem. Just as there are terrible D's, there are terrible K's. I think we all aim to avoid the terrible.

And sorry, I don't share the idea that the majors are inferior either. I saw someone post a clarity enhanced stone today via one of the most heavily promoted vendors on this forum-- does that mean ALL their stones are inferior? I don't know that I've ever seen a CE Cartier or Tiffany stone.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

RandG said:

Thanks Rand- that means a lot to me

Below is the ASET for the 60/60 we used to have.... the stone had amazing performance- different than an "Ideal" cut, but excellent nonetheless. High likelihood it would get trashed here- and I can understand why based on the way information is presented online generally.
People want simple answers.
Turns out that diamonds are very individual- so I find that taking everything into consideration is really important- including cost, and spread.
This makes for more complexity- but variety is the spice of life.
For example- If one finds an eye clean SI2 that is worth a LOT
IF one finds a K that faces more like a colorless, and you want a white diamond, that aspect is important.
If one finds that they love the look of a non premium cut GIA EX or heaven forbid, VG cut grade stone, and they save money due to the lesser grade- that is worth a lot.
You could take the same money and get a much larger diamond that you love.
In practical terms, if I would have said,"no, I want a perfect ASET and make sure it scores below 2 on HCA"- I might not have found a stone with the other attributes that drew me to this one.
We can agree that the diamond was not as well cut as some of the branded "Ideal" cut from a technical standpoint- but by no means "deficient" when viewed in person.
I am not saying it's wrong to place CUT at the very top of the pecking order when judging a diamond- but rather that considering all the factors, and looking at cut as something that has subtle gradients, and differences- like D to E color- is more realistic in real life situations.
Many times people asking questions here seen stones in stores- so they can actually see the diamond.
Yet they are told to get an ASET on fancy shapes.

The aset below had absolutely nothing to do with the beauty of the diamond- which was prodigious.

aset6060.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

But why on earth would someone prefer a leaky diamond over a sparky diamond?... :confused:

I said it many times on PS...size means nothing if IT does not perform. Who cares about a dead looking 3ct stone.. :knockout: :wall:

Who wants a really sparkly 3 carat that looks half the size as another really sparkly 3 carat that someone here on Pricescope arbitrarily says has "leakage problems" ?
Almost always a leaky diamond with white in ASET or IS will have a smaller spread or diameter than the same weight well cut stone. Then throw on top of that the optical illusion effect where the better light return diamond of exactly the same diameter can appear nearly twice as large in low lighting.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1416336638|3785865 said:
diamondseeker2006|1416334821|3785845 said:
In terms of cut in regard to fancy shapes, I actually prefer the fact that Jonathan of GOG stopped spending time here debating and moved on to designing and producing well cut fancy shape diamonds (in addition to the well cut lines he already carried). That has a LOT more benefit to consumers, in my opinion.

It benefits him in the form of a branded cut. As consumers though, our choices now becomes limited to branded cuts. If one looks at RBs, we do not necessarily have to purchase branded cuts at a premium to get a well cut stone. I don't see why this cannot also apply to fancies.

Ditto what Chrono said.

My own two cents: The thinly-veiled branded-cut boosterism on the part of certain posters gets old.

Part of the fun of buying fancy cuts is the variety in appearance from stone-to-stone. I think branded fancy cuts take the fun out of the search.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1416365396|3786172 said:

Almost always a leaky diamond with white in ASET or IS will have a smaller spread or diameter than the same weight well cut stone. Then throw on top of that the optical illusion effect where the better light return diamond of exactly the same diameter can appear nearly twice as large in low lighting.

HI Garry,
Interesting that our experience is so different.
An ASET with the proper amount and placement of white in ASET can signal a nice "spready" stone.
A lot of the stones touted as well cut here are generally deeper than the type of diamond cut I'm referring to. Although this is not a guarantee of larger face up size, commonly it does happen that way.
Also, I find that the more even spread of light results in the stone looking larger- again I know you have different experience with that.
I recently pointed to the stone below as being a truly well cut example of white in an aset being a beneficial feature.
stone1-comparo.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

RandG said:

Hi David, I don't think GIA Ex cut on a 60:60 can get a low HCA score?
It is only if the girdle is way too thin or way too fat.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1416359894|3786090 said:

Ha ha ha - the M's are all EGL D-G's!!!!
(Actually most lower coloured stones are not sent to GIA, and they are likely traded B2B for discount store 'programs'

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1416368156|3786187 said:

(Actually most lower coloured stones are not sent to GIA, and they are likely traded B2B for discount store 'programs'

I agree- with your statment Garry- most cape stones end up not as GIA Triple EX stones- but in a very real sense that does make a GIA XXX M color more rare than a D.

About the GIA EX/EX/EX-
First- I do not want my statements to be mistaken- and that could easily happen based on past debates.
I am not in any way diminishing the value of HCA.
It serves a very real purpose and does it's job well.

it dinged the hell out of this particular stone- but its not trying to find stones like this.
D=60
T 60.7
CA- 33
PA- 41.2
Girdle Med-slightly thick

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1416367842|3786183 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1416365396|3786172 said:

HI Garry,
Interesting that our experience is so different.
An ASET with the proper amount and placement of white in ASET can signal a nice "spready" stone.
A lot of the stones touted as well cut here are generally deeper than the type of diamond cut I'm referring to. Although this is not a guarantee of larger face up size, commonly it does happen that way.
Also, I find that the more even spread of light results in the stone looking larger- again I know you have different experience with that.
I recently pointed to the stone below as being a truly well cut example of white in an aset being a beneficial feature.
stone1-comparo.jpg

Hi David,
I was specifically talking about your idea that you can have one type of round that looks bigger (and therefore better) than another type, and that the type you like can have leakage. I do not think that is possible. The bigger looking stone would need to be shallower and shallower stones tend to have less leakage.

The radiant in say 3ct example certainly will not look bigger than a 3ct round. Of course many marquise, pear shapes and some ovals can.
And certainly

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sorry for the confusion Garry- my comments about leakage are specifically regarding Fancy Shapes only.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1416368619|3786188 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1416368156|3786187 said:

I agree- with your statment Garry- most cape stones end up not as GIA Triple EX stones- but in a very real sense that does make a GIA XXX M color more rare than a D.

About the GIA EX/EX/EX-
First- I do not want my statements to be mistaken- and that could easily happen based on past debates.
I am not in any way diminishing the value of HCA.
It serves a very real purpose and does it's job well.

it dinged the hell out of this particular stone- but its not trying to find stones like this.
D=60
T 60.7
CA- 33
PA- 41.2
Girdle Med-slightly thick

Wrong David - it gets 2.7 on HCA, and if it was truly a 60:60 it would have done better. The pavilion and or crown angle would have been lower and it would have been a HCA around 2 :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results