shape
carat
color
clarity

What happen to all the professional jewelers on PriceScope?

Diamond2014

Rough_Rock
Re: What happen to all the professional jewelers on PriceSco

Niel, What diamond did you bought or have and why did you make those choices? Why didnt you buy a Z color with I3 clarity since earth also made those? Whether human being declare the diamond's value or not, it still has value. And in reality, people want status, that's why they buy the best diamond that they can afford to out beat each others. If it's really for sentimental value, a 0.00001 carat with Z color and S3 Clarity would have been sufficient

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond2014|1416350504|3785985 said:
Niel, What diamond did you bought or have and why did you make those choices? Why didnt you buy a Z color with I3 clarity since earth also made those? Whether human being declare the diamond's value or not, it still has value. And in reality, people want status, that's why they buy the best diamond that they can afford to out beat each others. If it's really for sentimental value, a 0.00001 carat with Z color and S3 Clarity would have been sufficient
I don't buy diamonds to beat other people, nor for status. You may, though.

I buy diamonds because I like them. I buy the specs I buy because I like them and I can afford them.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't think my sentence would make sense if I had said 'The economy meant more people bought better colored stones and with that found out they could get less size'

I think when the color grades all cost the same, then there will be no better or poorer. When is that going to happen, maybe the same day they say a persons 1.50 D color and a 1.50 L color diamond is only 2 cents. Until then, sorry if it offends, but it
is the same as a top of the range car or a more affordable car. Higher color looks cleaner and purer whereas lower color has tint traces and impurity.

Why should someone pay fifteen thousand dollars more for a diamond e.g. 1.50 D color the same size as someones L color but you then tell me it is no better.
Is a top of the range leather sofa the same as the one at a bargain catalogue, would you like someone to say your expensive furniture is the same as the cheaper stuff and no better.

I don't think it is a case of buying for status, do you always buy the cheapest product so it can't be seen that you are buying
for status.

I like high color diamonds and also appreciate and own lower color diamonds, but I know which ones are more valuable.

You were saying this is my opinion, but saying poorer color stones are no worse is only your opinion. There are many with the same opinion as myself also including Tiffany, Cartier, Harry Winston, Graff etc . Same as some like luxury cars, but a man with plenty of spare cash may buy a cheap car.

msop04|1416348317|3785964 said:
Pyramid|1416338984|3785892 said:
Well someone said not long ago I looked at old Pricescope with rose colored spectacles.

The forum is now a skeleton of what it once was.

The forum rules meant the professionals stopped answering questions and instead other customers answered each others
questions.

The economy meant more people bought poorer colored stones and with that found out they could get more size.

This is your opinion, as I would imagine there are several people (myself included) who may take offense to your describing their diamonds as "poorer colored stones". :rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with lower colored diamonds. Some people actually prefer them to icy white stones. {the horror} :shock: :o :lol: Lower colors do not equate to "poorer stones" -- they are just that -- "lower colors". To call these colors "poor" is rather rude, considering many PS member have them and love them. ::)
If you'd like to wear a 0.60 ct D/IF, that's your business. As for many others, we are over the moon happy with our larger I/J/K (and lower) stones. It's about personal preference and priority.

Then the forum and styles changed to old fashioned cut diamonds and that was when most people left, as it became a bit of a club with people buying off ebay, showing their diamonds and talking about them.

New buyers looking for an engagement ring in the most popular round brilliant style don't find what they are looking for here

In RT, rounds are found for new buyers pretty much every day with the help of PS members.

...plus there is not so much marketing of the best cut round as that has been done and other rounds are good in local jewellers now. Ideal cut is not looking much better than the rounds found in stores now as the marketing has gone, it was said before that the top cuts were only a small percentage better than a well cut round, something like 4% better and could only be see with a trained eye. That is why in real life most people are not aware of one diamond looking much different than another. Bit like designer jeans, they look better but other jeans are okay too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer to call them high and low coloured diamonds rather than good or poor coloured diamonds. FCDs are also tainted by impurities to make them look pink or blue or whatever colour. By your definition, these diamonds should be worth a lot less due to their lack of purity as they are tainted by boron and other impurities.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1416352502|3786006 said:
Don't think my sentence would make sense if I had said 'The economy meant more people bought better colored stones and with that found out they could get less size'

I think when the color grades all cost the same, then there will be no better or poorer. When is that going to happen, maybe the same day they say a persons 1.50 D color and a 1.50 L color diamond is only 2 cents. Until then, sorry if it offends, but it
is the same as a top of the range car or a more affordable car. Higher color looks cleaner and purer whereas lower color has tint traces and impurity.

Why should someone pay fifteen thousand dollars more for a diamond e.g. 1.50 D color the same size as someones L color but you then tell me it is no better.
Is a top of the range leather sofa the same as the one at a bargain catalogue, would you like someone to say your expensive furniture is the same as the cheaper stuff and no better.

msop04|1416348317|3785964 said:
Well someone said not long ago I looked at old Pricescope with rose colored spectacles.

The forum is now a skeleton of what it once was.

The forum rules meant the professionals stopped answering questions and instead other customers answered each others
questions.

The economy meant more people bought poorer colored stones and with that found out they could get more size.

This is your opinion, as I would imagine there are several people (myself included) who may take offense to your describing their diamonds as "poorer colored stones". :rolleyes: There is nothing wrong with lower colored diamonds. Some people actually prefer them to icy white stones. {the horror} :shock: :o :lol: Lower colors do not equate to "poorer stones" -- they are just that -- "lower colors". To call these colors "poor" is rather rude, considering many PS member have them and love them. ::)
If you'd like to wear a 0.60 ct D/IF, that's your business. As for many others, we are over the moon happy with our larger I/J/K (and lower) stones. It's about personal preference and priority.

Then the forum and styles changed to old fashioned cut diamonds and that was when most people left, as it became a bit of a club with people buying off ebay, showing their diamonds and talking about them.

New buyers looking for an engagement ring in the most popular round brilliant style don't find what they are looking for here

In RT, rounds are found for new buyers pretty much every day with the help of PS members.

...plus there is not so much marketing of the best cut round as that has been done and other rounds are good in local jewellers now. Ideal cut is not looking much better than the rounds found in stores now as the marketing has gone, it was said before that the top cuts were only a small percentage better than a well cut round, something like 4% better and could only be see with a trained eye. That is why in real life most people are not aware of one diamond looking much different than another. Bit like designer jeans, they look better but other jeans are okay too.

Tour comparison to a car and a high end sofa is not apt. C

In general,those cost more because the production of those items costs more.

It does not cost more to mine a d or an h.

And you are entitled to your opinion, but the issue is that people who in fact PREFER lower colored diamonds are entitled to theirs. And some in fact do think a lower colored diamond is better. Both of you are equally correct.

And chrono said what I was just thinking about other colored diamonds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond2014|1416345399|3785940 said:
Consumer will never be able to reply or give a correct reply to another consumer, because they reply base on what THEY wants or have.

Never say never.
Some do, some don't.

I bend over backwards to educate on color and clarity and encourage noobs to get out to see them in person to develop their own preference.
After learning that good light performance is from cut, not color and clarity (a common misconception), and learning how color and clarity affect price I encourage each consumer to see their compromise of the 4 Cs as perfect for them.
I never push noobs towards what I prefer, except for good light performance ... nor do I assume everyone wants the largest stone possible.

Unfortunately there are a prosumers who DO push their color and clarity preferences on the noobs, with comments like, "You don't need an F." or, "Any clarity higher than eye-clean is a waste of money."

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1416352951|3786012 said:
I prefer to call them high and low coloured diamonds rather than good or poor coloured diamonds. FCDs are also tainted by impurities to make them look pink or blue or whatever colour. By your definition, these diamonds should be worth a lot less due to their lack of purity as they are tainted by boron and other impurities.[/quot

No fancy color diamonds are a lot more expensive than the X, Y and Z colors, ofcourse I didn't make this up, saying 'by your definition' this is what we are told by the diamond industry. Yes high and low coloured diamonds are okay a name for them too, but don't try to tell me they cost the same. It is like putting blinkers on and saying they are the same but you can't buy them for the same can you? I mean a D and G are different prices, in the same way a K and N are. The price is reduced for some reason.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1416352951|3786012 said:
I prefer to call them high and low coloured diamonds rather than good or poor coloured diamonds. FCDs are also tainted by impurities to make them look pink or blue or whatever colour. By your definition, these diamonds should be worth a lot less due to their lack of purity as they are tainted by boron and other impurities.

Exactly... even Cartier, VCA, Tiffany, etc. sell those impure, tainted diamonds for top dollar. :roll:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid,
I don't think anyone said a D costs as much as a Z. Colour is a personal preference. Some truly like D and some truly like L and some truly like Z, regardless of their cost. None are "better" or "poorer" than the other. I used to love only top colour of coloured stones but have come to understand and appreciate other non trade ideals for what they are, even if they aren't my preferred colours.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Totally agree on the issue of color.
D is not better than J.
It has less tint.
It costs less.
But it's not "worse"
There are indeed diamonds with a color that would be seen as unattractive by many people- generally due to being dull.

Then we come to the issue of cut- What is "good light performance"?
It's what that person likes.
It's not necessarily "better".

Just like dull diamonds - which are obviously NOT shiny, so it's pretty easy to spot, there are indeed badly cut diamonds.
Badly cut diamonds are easy to spot.
They may have dark areas in the center, or appear very small for their carat weight, among other things.
However there's also a broad range of cut variations that might not be "good" light performance in one person's eyes- yet many other people find it attractive.

In both cases- cut and color, pushing someone to something you yourself love, and calling it categorically "better" instead of "I like it better" does no service to the person asking.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1416354964|3786036 said:
But why on earth would someone prefer a leaky diamond over a sparky diamond?... :confused:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1416356244|3786044 said:
But why on earth would someone prefer a leaky diamond over a sparky diamond?... :confused:

Because it is less expensive and/or larger :confused:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly like it is with color.

cflutist|1416356655|3786049 said:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1416354210|3786028 said:
Pyramid,
I don't think anyone said a D costs as much as a Z. Colour is a personal preference. Some truly like D and some truly like L and some truly like Z, regardless of their cost. None are "better" or "poorer" than the other. I used to love only top colour of coloured stones but have come to understand and appreciate other non trade ideals for what they are, even if they aren't my preferred colours.

Well looking at the prices difference charged between a D 3 carat and a M 3 carat, they better be better, is all I can say. Otherwise we are being robbed.

Diamond2014

Rough_Rock

Vendor and professionals should be able to freely reply with their products they have, while other vendors should be freely posting comment on that particular product.

Vendors and professionals are not bias as to what color or clarity they like. If they post a bad stone, other vendors and professionals will bombard them with comments.

Vendors and professionals will be able to make a sale, in exchange for their time. Nothing is wrong with that. This forum need more vendors and professionals. Too many noobies answering noobies's questions.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid,
I don't think anyone said a D costs as much as a Z.

No but they did say one is no better than the other. Funny they don't cost the same then isn't it. The higher color is
perceived to be more popular by society someone said though, so is that not better? :confused:

If the pricescopers here deem ideal cut to be more popular by those buying on the board, do you not see that as being better cut too?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid said:
Pyramid,

Well looking at the prices difference charged between a D 3 carat and a M 3 carat, they better be better, is all I can say. Otherwise we are being robbed.

Yep. You've been robbed. LOL
HIGHWAY ROBBERY, I tell you! [emoji38][emoji38]

(In case you didn't catch on, that's sarcasm, pyramid...)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't see many millionaires or even A-list celebrities with M or O color diamonds, they would soon turn their noses up at that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1416357371|3786054 said:
Pyramid,

It cost more because more people desire it. More people want Lady Gaga tickets than REO speedwagon. doesn't mean one is definitively and indisputably better. Majority opinion doesn't turn something into a fact.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

In fact, many diamonds that show white in the aset- therefore can be described as "leaky" can be incredibly sparkly.
Light does not behave like water, so calling the white in an aset "leakage" is a poor choice of words.

Pyramid, there's PLENTY of celebs wearing diamonds of ALL different colors.
Speaking from personal experience.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I said it many times on PS...size means nothing if IT does not perform. Who cares about a dead looking 3ct stone.. :knockout: :wall:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1416357973|3786058 said:
pyramid said:
Pyramid,

After reading the thread I started in Hangout, I find that ..no even after trying to change my mind about it, that sarcasm is not the same as a healthy sense of humour and it is indeed IN MY OPINION mean and nasty. Oh and others seem to share that point of view too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire|1416358151|3786063 said:

I said it many times on PS...size means nothing if IT does not perform. Who cares about a dead looking 3ct stone.. :knockout: :wall:

Who wants a really sparkly 3 carat that looks half the size as another really sparkly 3 carat that someone here on Pricescope arbitrarily says has "leakage problems" ?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1416358118|3786062 said:

In fact, many diamonds that show white in the aset- therefore can be described as "leaky" can be incredibly sparkly.
Light does not behave like water, so calling the white in an aset "leakage" is a poor choice of words.

Pyramid, there's PLENTY of celebs wearing diamonds of ALL different colors.
Speaking from personal experience.

Yes but you are selling diamonds.

I once asked on here about celebs diamonds and I was told by vendors that I would find that they were all colorless and flawless or near colorless and near flawless. Mind you that was years ago and I think it was Rockdoc who replied with that. Maybe celebs think lower color is great now too, so when are we getting a price reduction then. I mean if the pave and halo look was copied from them and set the market so should the color. Maybe colorless is getting more rare in celebrity sized diamonds too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pyramid, by personal experience I meant we have actually sold diamonds of all colors to quite a few millionaires and celebrity's .
They can love a big stone that costs less too.....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pyramid said:
msop04|1416357973|3786058 said:
pyramid said:
Pyramid,

After reading the thread I started in Hangout, I find that ..no even after trying to change my mind about it, that sarcasm is not the same as a healthy sense of humour and it is indeed IN MY OPINION mean and nasty. Oh and others seem to share that point of view too.

Well, you know what they say about opinions... HA! It's okay, pyramid... for all of those who don't appreciate sarcasm, there are just as many (if not more) who do. [emoji4]

And there are many celebrities who choose those tainted, impure diamonds -- and I highly doubt many of us on the forum could afford them, because the are $$$$$!! ...by your logic, they were robbed too.

To call lower colored diamonds "poor" and insinuate that those who purchase them are compromising for size is pretty judgmental and, frankly, quite elitist.... in my opinion, that is.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

I just don't understand why even the most benign topics seem to morph into these very divisive, totally subjective and baseless diatribes that invariably insult people for their choices.

Here's one of those big bargain basement cheap diamonds with a truly awful HCA. I probably should have paid up for the ideal D with optimal light return...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RandG said:
I just don't understand why even the most benign topics seem to morph into these very divisive, totally subjective and baseless diatribes that invariably insult people for their choices.

Here's one of those big bargain basement cheap diamonds with a truly awful HCA. I probably should have paid up for the ideal D with optimal light return...

HA! Yes! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond|1416358309|3786065 said:
Dancing Fire|1416358151|3786063 said:

Who wants a really sparkly 3 carat that looks half the size as another really sparkly 3 carat that someone here on Pricescope arbitrarily says has "leakage problems" ?
David
please show us a sparky 2ct RB with a 3ct diameter size.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire said:
David
please show us a sparky 2ct RB with a 3ct diameter size.

Speaking of Fancy Shapes DF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results