shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this cobalt color change spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no Chic - it''s not as interesting (and much greyer). You want something to keep you entertained and that''s be a "whatever" stone!!! You want a "corrrrrr look at this" stone!

If the Vendor has confirmed the presence of Cobalt in the round brilliant then I''d get my money out quickly!!!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
heehee;p sorry greenie online:) Yep I had the cc spinel on reserve:) Its describe as eye clean, however on the 2nd pict of the CC spinel(purple) it seems pretty included, or does it just show in the photo?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2010 8:17:42 PM
Author: chictomato
heehee;p sorry greenie online:) Yep I had the cc spinel on reserve:) Its describe as eye clean, however on the 2nd pict of the CC spinel(purple) it seems pretty included, or does it just show in the photo?
That is something you will have to ask the vendor, I''m afriad. It could be inclusions (that might not be visible in person) or smudges from handling.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! I have one more color change spinel here, is it of a better color than the first round?

SP-6365N.jpg.JPG

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Purple:) Thanks in advance! Do keep your views coming!

sp-6365g_1173_general.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly I don't think that Barry stone is much of a color shifter from those pictures.

For a couple examples of pretty decent color shifting spinels...these are both Barry stones, and the photos were taken by him.

ETA: I think that the better Barry spinel color shifters are the ones that are blue in his main pics on his site. I'd ask if he has any blue ones around. A purple to blue-ish lavender isn't much of a shift IMHO.

My ering stone:
Freke%20Barry%20ering%20stone%20maybe.jpg

I can attest to this being a real zinger of a color shifter. Under fluorescent lighting it's certainly purple (almost amethyst purple), but under any natural light it can range from a cobalt blue to a sky blue, and with combinations of light it can be anywhere between the two, or look gray.

And a stone I considered for my ering stone (as well as a spinel Gene had a while back):

BarryvsGene freke.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
freke child, i love your ering spinel!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my color change spinel, just to give you an idea.

It goes anywhere from a medium blue to deep amethyst purple, and in a mixture of both lighting (artificial and incandescent), tanzanite color.

TLspinelcolorshift2.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic,
It doesn’t shift enough to call it a true colour change or even colour shift. It looks like the regular slight shift that almost all spinels do under outdoor/indoor lighting.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi tks to all the input:)! by the way do you consider this a good color change spinel? cc the last 3 photos that I had posted:) TIA!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2010 11:11:22 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
True cobalt spinel is exceedingly rare. I think Chrono waited a few years before she found one. In any case, I believe this is the only true cobalt spinel on ebay (ignore any called ''Cobalt Blue''). It is small, but it''s certified to actually contain cobalt. I would ask about the quality of color if you''re intereted, but at least it''s affordable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-COBALT-SPINEL-COLORED-BY-COBALT-LOUPE-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ260499639522QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6fd0ce2

That being said, not all spinels colored by cobalt are nice. I bought one once from a reputable company, and it was too dark and grey for what I paid.
Funny I was looking at this liisting for a long time but the size seemed to small to make anything out of it. Is it from Amethyst guy? He has been spoken highly of at this forum.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chic,
The colour change looks good. I can easily see the change from blue, mixed, to purple. I cannot comment on the body colour though without knowing your lighting condition. It looks a bit dark but that could be because you took the picture under a dimly lit condition?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2010 1:29:21 PM
Author: ma re
From my experience cc spinels can't really reach color saturation (richness) of cc sapphires, especially since we're talking about a change from blue to violet (which is typical for cc sapphires). So what I'd look for, if you've decided that cc spinel is what you want, is an eye clean stone (which this one doesen't seem to be, but eye clean spinels are an everyday occurrence) of good cut, with a clear/sharp/obvious color change and with noticable dispersion (another quality of spinels). In other words, I'm not impressed with the stone above. I'd consider the last one on THIS page if budget allows it - sure, violet in that one could be nicer, but the stone is pretty anyway.
YUMMY I like #15867!! Of couse that's if I'm spending the OP's money.
9.gif

Sharp vivid color change and the durability of sapphire. AH

ETA: Has anyone every bought from this site before???

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke -- I''m still LOVIN your ering spinel. It really is special.

TL -- lovely spinel!

Chictomato -- I think those photos you took do show a nice color change. But you have to be happy with the whole package-- cutting, clarirty, color and color change. If you are willing to search for a while and consult the PS experts (not me) then I think you will find a nice color change that has the whole package you''re looking for!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to disagree with Mr. Ma Rae on the fact that color change spinels can''t be in the same league as color change sapphires. If you''re talking about the finest color change sapphire there is, then perhaps no, but IMO, I think they can look good if not better than some nice cc sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results