shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this cobalt color change spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI again:) what do you think of this cobalt color change spinel? how can tell the difference between a blue spinel and a cobalt spinel? tks!

blue

16419-SpinelCCB.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
purple

16419-SpinelCCR.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
It''s my understanding that a cobalt blue spinel is, literally, a blue spinel that derives its color from cobalt. This gives it a more intense and vibrant color than most blue spinels that do not contain cobalt, and therefore drives up the price. However, not all spinels which contain cobalt show the specific blue color that collectors prize, just like not every emerald mined in Muzo is automatically stellar, so just because a spinel contains cobalt, it does not necessarily follow that the spinel will be top-quality. Necessary but not sufficient, that sort of thing. And many blue spinels are beautiful without containing cobalt.

(If anyone wants to correct me on the above, please do. I''m not an expert on cobalts!)

The spinel in your pictures looks very pretty, but not outstanding, to me. The first image looks like it shows a hint of gray, and I suspect that the stone might be somewhat darker in real life than it appears in the photos. However, I really like blue-violet gems and don''t mind a hint of gray in them, so if the asking price is reasonable, I''d consider that gem at least for a "test buy" and in-person evaluation. IMO, for that one, it''s all about whether the price is right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laine,
I’m in agreement with you on the definition of a cobalt blue spinel and that just because a blue spinel contains cobalt, it isn’t automatically a beautiful blue stone.

ChicTomato,
The first picture appears slightly grayish violetish blue and the second a grayish purple. It’s a nice stone; depending on the asking price, it could be overpriced or a good purchase. Are there nicer ones out there? Sure, but how long are you willing to keep looking and how deep are you willing to reach into your pocket? These are a couple questions which you should ask yourself. The really nice ones are going to be in the thousand dollar range.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be leary of dealers calling something "cobalt blue" Cobalt blue spinel is not the same as cobalt spinel. The former means it looks like a spinel colored by cobalt, and the latter means it''s actually colored by the presence of cobalt.

This type of naming convention is all over ebay as well.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
From my experience cc spinels can''t really reach color saturation (richness) of cc sapphires, especially since we''re talking about a change from blue to violet (which is typical for cc sapphires). So what I''d look for, if you''ve decided that cc spinel is what you want, is an eye clean stone (which this one doesen''t seem to be, but eye clean spinels are an everyday occurrence) of good cut, with a clear/sharp/obvious color change and with noticable dispersion (another quality of spinels). In other words, I''m not impressed with the stone above. I''d consider the last one on THIS page if budget allows it - sure, violet in that one could be nicer, but the stone is pretty anyway.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everything said above about the use of the word "cobalt" but I have to say that I do like this gemstone. I''m a sucker for colour changers and even though this has grey, it''s very pretty and nicely cut (and priced). The fact that the whole gem changes colour and the colour change is reasonably strong would be enough to make me at least enquire about it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think someone once mentioned that true cobalt spinels also do not shift color. Was that you Chrono?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/11/2010 1:35:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think someone once mentioned that true cobalt spinels also do not shift color. Was that you Chrono?
I was under the same impression.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be me. I’ve enquired about cobalt blue spinels and colour change blue spinels (blue/purple shift) and the information I’ve garnered from various vendors is that the two do not happen in a single stone. I wonder if it has anything to do with the cobalt colouring agent?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! So do you think its worth asking? It is going at around $378 for this 6.7mm round cobalt:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's a fair price, but not a great price, for that stone. It's rather small and has a strong grey undertone. It's pretty, but I think you can do better for the price being asked. It's definitely not the color of a cobalt spinel which would look like a velvety deep blue. I think the name in this case, "cobalt," is being used to help sell it, rather than accurately describe it's color. I bet Barry of acstones.com can come up with something just as nice for less $$.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/11/2010 1:29:21 PM
Author: ma re
From my experience cc spinels can''t really reach color saturation (richness) of cc sapphires, especially since we''re talking about a change from blue to violet (which is typical for cc sapphires). So what I''d look for, if you''ve decided that cc spinel is what you want, is an eye clean stone (which this one doesen''t seem to be, but eye clean spinels are an everyday occurrence) of good cut, with a clear/sharp/obvious color change and with noticable dispersion (another quality of spinels). In other words, I''m not impressed with the stone above. I''d consider the last one on THIS page if budget allows it - sure, violet in that one could be nicer, but the stone is pretty anyway.
hi there how about this 16463 Sapphire C.C Sapphire cc or have you come acoss any nice CC sapphire or spinel? tks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
For the price it''s a nice stone I''d say. Nothing particularly wrong with it, richness of color could be a bit better, but that would surely get the price up. It''s also not a small stone, so I think it''s reasonably priced and it should look nice in person.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks ma re! Can I know if those blue area amongst the purple in this CC sapphire are consider color zoning? Is that undesirable? The CC spinel seems to be of a more distinct and complete color change than this CC sapphire. And they both appear to be of a similar color to me. May I know in what ways are the CC sapphire better? tks!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think this stone has color zoning. What you''re seeing is probably the result of cutting, similar to the bow-tie effect seen in many ovals. It seems that way cause it shows to the same extent on both sides of the stone, but I could be wrong. That is undesirable if it''s too noticable and takes away from the beauty of the stone, but I don''t think that''s the case with this one. To me, spinel and sapphire shown above have similar colors and color change, but they''re different shapes so it seems like the round one has a more complete change. Rounds have equal lenght and width, while ovals don''t have that, so it seems that the round has better color coverage, but that might not be the case when you see the stone for real. Sapphire is larger so it would probably be more interesting to observe the color change, and it''s more durable of a variety which is a plus. I also think sapphire has a slightly richer color, due to a greater diversity of shades seen in it (especially in incandescent light), while spinel to me seems more "flat" in color i.e. lacking depth.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly? The Sapphire is ok but nothing special. The colour shift is minimal looking at the photos and for a colour changer I liike to see a distinct change. I much prefer the Spinel as there''s much more of a distinct change. However, these gems are incredibly difficult to photograph accurately in both colourways so I would phone the Vendor and ask.

Crystal keeper

Rough_Rock
First time poster long time lurker. How is everyone. I love reading the informative comments you guys leave. Figured I would sign up and post here. I find many unscuplous sellers try to play off the whole "cobalt" thing. They are fairly rare stones and the name "cobalt" is tossed around like crazy. I for one would not ever buy a "cobalt" spinel without a lab report. A good one can compete with a great color blue sapphire, tanzanite, and the other fine blue stones out there. I have a lot of post to read so bear with me. Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the cc spinel over the cc sapphire you are now considering because it shows better colour change.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry - just wanted to add - the price for the cc spinel isn''t "cobalt prices" so, bearing that in mind, ignore the word cobalt and you have the right price for a cc spinel!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2010 7:23:03 AM
Author: Crystal keeper
First time poster long time lurker. How is everyone. I love reading the informative comments you guys leave. Figured I would sign up and post here. I find many unscuplous sellers try to play off the whole ''cobalt'' thing. They are fairly rare stones and the name ''cobalt'' is tossed around like crazy. I for one would not ever buy a ''cobalt'' spinel without a lab report. A good one can compete with a great color blue sapphire, tanzanite, and the other fine blue stones out there. I have a lot of post to read so bear with me. Thanks

Hi Crystal keeper! tks for the input. I will certainly ask for some kinda lab report to ensure its a cobalt spinel!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2010 6:57:11 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Honestly? The Sapphire is ok but nothing special. The colour shift is minimal looking at the photos and for a colour changer I liike to see a distinct change. I much prefer the Spinel as there''s much more of a distinct change. However, these gems are incredibly difficult to photograph accurately in both colourways so I would phone the Vendor and ask.

Hi LovingDiamonds thanks for the reply! I do like the color of the spinel as well! I like blue to purple color change, especially a more distinct one. I think the spinel might fits the bill, although it does not look as ''cobalt colored'' as cobalt spinel suppose to be. I will certainly ask for a reliable report to prove that it is a cobalt spinel. As long as the grey is not too overpowering, I am ok with it. I had actually requested a popular cutter to cut a CC stone, however I have to turn it down, as I see brown (which I am more ''sensitive'' to) and the color change is not as dramatic in my view. So do you guys think that the price is good to go for? Has anyone bought from Djraregems before? Can I have some feedback on cut, quality...etc? thanks!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2010 10:36:41 AM
Author: chictomato

Date: 1/13/2010 6:57:11 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Honestly? The Sapphire is ok but nothing special. The colour shift is minimal looking at the photos and for a colour changer I liike to see a distinct change. I much prefer the Spinel as there's much more of a distinct change. However, these gems are incredibly difficult to photograph accurately in both colourways so I would phone the Vendor and ask.

Hi LovingDiamonds thanks for the reply! I do like the color of the spinel as well! I like blue to purple color change, especially a more distinct one. I think the spinel might fits the bill, although it does not look as 'cobalt colored' as cobalt spinel suppose to be. I will certainly ask for a reliable report to prove that it is a cobalt spinel. As long as the grey is not too overpowering, I am ok with it. I had actually requested a popular cutter to cut a CC stone, however I have to turn it down, as I see brown (which I am more 'sensitive' to) and the color change is not as dramatic in my view. So do you guys think that the price is good to go for? Has anyone bought from Djraregems before? Can I have some feedback on cut, quality...etc? thanks!
Never bought from them so can't help on that score - sorry.

However, just want to throw this into the mix ............ is the presence of cobalt very important to you? As I think you're paying normal colour change spinel prices, do you want to go to the added expense of paying for a report? If you like the gemstone, the price is good and it looks to be cut well, I would certainly at least reserve it before a lurker jumps in and does so!

If they have a good returns policy then go for it. The cut looks good, the colour change is very pretty and it appeals to you so you're over the most important hurdles just with that list!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True cobalt spinel is exceedingly rare. I think Chrono waited a few years before she found one. In any case, I believe this is the only true cobalt spinel on ebay (ignore any called "Cobalt Blue"). It is small, but it's certified to actually contain cobalt. I would ask about the quality of color if you're intereted, but at least it's affordable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-COBALT-SPINEL-COLORED-BY-COBALT-LOUPE-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ260499639522QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6fd0ce2

That being said, not all spinels colored by cobalt are nice. I bought one once from a reputable company, and it was too dark and grey for what I paid.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with LD and Chrono that the color change on that purple sapphire isn''t very striking. I''m not even sure I''d consider it a "color change" at all (as opposed to a gem just showing different personalities in different lights, as almost all of them do), although maybe it''s more pronounced in real life than it is in the pictures. It''s a pretty purple sapphire, but not much of a color-changer.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, I’ve never purchased from this particular vendor so I cannot advice you on that front. I agree with LD that the pricing of this stone is in line with regular cc spinels but not cobalt spinels. Perhaps you can ask the vendor if he means this spinel’s colour comes from Cobalt as the primary colouring agent or if he thinks its blue colour is reminiscent of a true cobalt stone. From there, you can decide how you want to proceed.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2010 11:33:53 AM
Author: Chrono
First off, I’ve never purchased from this particular vendor so I cannot advice you on that front. I agree with LD that the pricing of this stone is in line with regular cc spinels but not cobalt spinels. Perhaps you can ask the vendor if he means this spinel’s colour comes from Cobalt as the primary colouring agent or if he thinks its blue colour is reminiscent of a true cobalt stone. From there, you can decide how you want to proceed.

Hi all thanks for the advices, yes it contains cobalt according to the vendor. However I do agree with LD that its just a nice blue with color change that I am after, cobalt or not does not really matters:) Up another bright blue spinel with no accenting color (according to the vendor) Not sure if it is a color changer, but it seems to be and its seems brighter and lesser grey to me. What do you guys think? will you go for this or the round?tks!

14419-Spinel.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2010 11:11:22 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
True cobalt spinel is exceedingly rare. I think Chrono waited a few years before she found one. In any case, I believe this is the only true cobalt spinel on ebay (ignore any called ''Cobalt Blue''). It is small, but it''s certified to actually contain cobalt. I would ask about the quality of color if you''re intereted, but at least it''s affordable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-COBALT-SPINEL-COLORED-BY-COBALT-LOUPE-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ260499639522QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6fd0ce2

That being said, not all spinels colored by cobalt are nice. I bought one once from a reputable company, and it was too dark and grey for what I paid.

Its a nice blue, but its way too small for me:) thanks for the reference!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still prefer the colour changer. This new oval spinel is less saturated (grayer). Can you request a side by side picture of the 2 stones?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2010 7:37:52 PM
Author: chictomato

Date: 1/13/2010 11:33:53 AM
Author: Chrono

Hi all thanks for the advices, yes it contains cobalt according to the vendor. However I do agree with LD that its just a nice blue with color change that I am after, cobalt or not does not really matters:) Up another bright blue spinel with no accenting color (according to the vendor) Not sure if it is a color changer, but it seems to be and its seems brighter and lesser grey to me. What do you guys think? will you go for this or the round?tks!
I don''t know, that looks pretty grey to me. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results