shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you keep in your car?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the thing: I just got back from the grocery store with dh. Parked next to us was a nice car filled up to the windows in every seat and floor with everything imaginable. There were clothes, scads of opened mail, bags, fast food bags and cups--like not a single thing more could go in there. I''m not criticising -who knows the circumstances- but it reminded of that commercial where the woman is at the airport saying she hadn''t had a day off since the third grade.
32.gif

It made me wonder what other people keep or leave in their cars? I''ll admit to a couple of used ceramic coffee mugs and a gps- but, I can''t stand mail or clothes or other things hanging out in there. Dh on the other hand, I shutter to think what he has going on in his car (lets just say, I''ll bet he could furnish a small dwelling with it).

What do you carry as a "must have?" Do you treat your car differently than your home?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm where did you see my car?
lol
It isn''t that bad anymore but when I was working out of my car everyday it got like that at times.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to keep an earthquake preparedness kit in it when I lived in LA.

Bottled waters, videos for the dvd player, some toys for my youngest, an IPOD and a pair of sunglasses in case I need them. Plus gum or mints.

On my street, in a very nice area mind you, is an old home with three very old Cadillacs parked in the driveway...ALL THREE filled with trash, towels, and huge things of toilet paper. I think the owners are eccentric hoarders.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
woops cant be my car cuz you said nice car and not junk bucket.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I grew up around a lot of cops..so I try to leave nothing out in the open and/or visible in the car. But I always have the registration and whatnot in the glove box. And a flashlight in the side door as well an umbrella. That's pretty much it.

ETA: I almost forgot! In my trunk I have what I call the mobile wedding planning unit..which is a box full of bride magazines.
10.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I keep my cd''s, maybe a bottle of water, and maybe a sweater or jacket. But, I am a teacher, so I always have random papers, pictures, school supplies, etc... rolling around in the back!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:24:08 PM
Author: diamondfan
I used to keep an earthquake preparedness kit in it when I lived in LA.

Bottled waters, videos for the dvd player, some toys for my youngest, an IPOD and a pair of sunglasses in case I need them. Plus gum or mints.

On my street, in a very nice area mind you, is an old home with three very old Cadillacs parked in the driveway...ALL THREE filled with trash, towels, and huge things of toilet paper. I think the owners are eccentric hoarders.
Wow, an earthquake kit--(sounds way interesting as I am in the deep south...not much chance here!). I remember the days with young children and all the equipment-- time flies..sigh

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:22:59 PM
Author: strmrdr
hmmmm where did you see my car?
lol
It isn''t that bad anymore but when I was working out of my car everyday it got like that at times.
Karl, you crack me up.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:25:20 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
I grew up around a lot of cops..so I try to leave nothing out in the open and/or visible in the car. But I always have the registration and whatnot in the glove box. And a flashlight in the side door as well an umbrella. That''s pretty much it.

ETA: I almost forgot! In my trunk I have what I call the mobile wedding planning unit..which is a box full of bride magazines.
10.gif
I love it, "mobile wedding planning unit." the ole "mwpu"

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:28:09 PM
Author: Tuckins1
I keep my cd''s, maybe a bottle of water, and maybe a sweater or jacket. But, I am a teacher, so I always have random papers, pictures, school supplies, etc... rolling around in the back!
I, too, work in a school. Okay okay, right now I think I do have about 20 of those vinyl 3 hole punch folders sitting in my back seat. And...I probably need to be thinking about getting a new fall sweater...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
JustJulia, it was an interesting kit. It had space food (you add water to it), bottled water, space blankets that take up very little room, a flashlight, road flares and a battery operated radio, and I think tablets to purify water not in the kit. I cannot recall what else it contained but it was supposed to help you if you got stranded in your car. You had to rotate it every few years to keep some of the items current. I never needed it, I was never in my car when an earthquake hit!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:33:26 PM
Author: justjulia
Date: 8/25/2008 7:25:20 PM

Author: SarahLovesJS

I grew up around a lot of cops..so I try to leave nothing out in the open and/or visible in the car. But I always have the registration and whatnot in the glove box. And a flashlight in the side door as well an umbrella. That's pretty much it.

10.gif
I love it, 'mobile wedding planning unit.' the ole 'mwpu'

Haha yeah you should see the young men at the grocery store when I open my trunk..they either think I am some nut on the prowl for a husband or consumed by wedding planning. It scores me some interesting, yet frightened looks.
37.gif

Edited to fix a typo.
12.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:37:24 PM
Author: diamondfan
JustJulia, it was an interesting kit. It had space food (you add water to it), bottled water, space blankets that take up very little room, a flashlight, road flares and a battery operated radio, and I think tablets to purify water not in the kit. I cannot recall what else it contained but it was supposed to help you if you got stranded in your car. You had to rotate it every few years to keep some of the items current. I never needed it, I was never in my car when an earthquake hit!
That is very neat. I wondered what could be in there.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Lol, my SUV can be a disaster at times I hate to admit! Let''s see, it''s summer so currently you will find a beach bag fully packed and ready to go complete with towels, sunscreen, goggles, and snacks. If we go to the pool or the beach I just remove it clean and repack! There is also a bag of sand toys, some kick boards, frisbee, soccer ball, and a first aid kit (I wouldn''t be able to live without it!). What else... books and toys, a video camera, extra sun glasses, a water bottle. I don''t obsess about how clean my car is, I picked it out especially so that I wouldn''t have to. The last car that I had was much more expensive and my boys just trashed it!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Costco was selling emergency food buckets for about $75.00 275 servings of Pre-mixed and Pre-seasoned 100 % Vegetarian and Vitamin Fortified food-ha I wanted to pick one up never did though.

We have a gps, portable dvd player which I want out of my car
11.gif
a bag of toys for my daughter. In my trunk I keep a blanket, J&J first aid kit, flashlight, binoculars. That is all I can think of.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the midwest a snow survival kit is common in the winter.
Shovel, ice melt, sand, space blanket, blanket or 2, candles, fire starters(rolled up newspaper soaked in wax that burned for a couple hours)
Granola bars, metal cup and pan, flares, jumper cables, spare gloves, scarf, hat, earmuffs, extra jacket, and extra pants.

When I drove 70 miles each way to college during the week and 30 miles each way to work on the weekends that is what I kept in my car.
Never actually needed anything but the shovel because I''m an awesome winter driver and my horizon and then my k-car would go through just about anything.
There were times I would be the only car on the road like the time after the ice storm with 3" of ice on all roads.
I showed up at work and the guy I was reliving was to chicken to drive home which was about 3/4 of a mile away and I drove 30 miles!

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
i only keep an umbrella and a sun guard (thing you put in the windshield to keep the sun out) in my trunk, though there are currently a big stack of books in the back seat, blech, i hate the life of a commuter student.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:40:14 PM
Author: 777_LDY
Lol, my SUV can be a disaster at times I hate to admit! Let''s see, it''s summer so currently you will find a beach bag fully packed and ready to go complete with towels, sunscreen, goggles, and snacks. If we go to the pool or the beach I just remove it clean and repack! There is also a bag of sand toys, some kick boards, frisbee, soccer ball, and a first aid kit (I wouldn''t be able to live without it!). What else... books and toys, a video camera, extra sun glasses, a water bottle. I don''t obsess about how clean my car is, I picked it out especially so that I wouldn''t have to. The last car that I had was much more expensive and my boys just trashed it!
You sound like a fun mom! I heard somewhere that a big rubbermaid type container in the back is useful for putting groceries and kinds of toys- so they can stay put, etc. I have a huge one in the back of my car now (in addition to the notebooks..) left from moving my daughter back into college last week-that I have tried this week to use to hold groceries. I''m not sure it''s working because I can''t spread out the bread and stuff--things still get smushed. Anyway, I digress.. I used to have similar things when my children were younger.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:46:21 PM
Author: VegasAngel
Costco was selling emergency food buckets for about $75.00 275 servings of Pre-mixed and Pre-seasoned 100 % Vegetarian and Vitamin Fortified food-ha I wanted to pick one up never did though.

We have a gps, portable dvd player which I want out of my car
11.gif
a bag of toys for my daughter. In my trunk I keep a blanket, J&J first aid kit, flashlight, binoculars. That is all I can think of.
Yea, dh is always telling me to hide the gps when I park. He says it is the most commonly stolen item, statistically.

The emergency food bucket reminds me of 1999 when Sams was selling mega bags of rice and I actually bought one (my kids remember this and love to embarass me with that story...)

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:48:55 PM
Author: strmrdr
In the midwest a snow survival kit is common in the winter.
Shovel, ice melt, sand, space blanket, blanket or 2, candles, fire starters(rolled up newspaper soaked in wax that burned for a couple hours)
Granola bars, metal cup and pan, flares, jumper cables, spare gloves, scarf, hat, earmuffs, extra jacket, and extra pants.

When I drove 70 miles each way to college during the week and 30 miles each way to work on the weekends that is what I kept in my car.
Never actually needed anything but the shovel because I''m an awesome winter driver and my horizon and then my k-car would go through just about anything.
There were times I would be the only car on the road like the time after the ice storm with 3'' of ice on all roads.
I showed up at work and the guy I was reliving was to chicken to drive home which was about 3/4 of a mile away and I drove 30 miles!
WOW. WOW. WOW.
OMgoodness. You and my husband must be related.
Snow freaks me out. (Of course it does...I live where people stampede to the grocery store for milk and break when it sleets.) We get one day of white stuff. Maybe. Schools close. Mayhem ensues. (It is kinda fun though.)

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:50:35 PM
Author: vita*dolce
i only keep an umbrella and a sun guard (thing you put in the windshield to keep the sun out) in my trunk, though there are currently a big stack of books in the back seat, blech, i hate the life of a commuter student.
I bet you keep a good stash of pens and pencils, too. I used to do that as a student.
I should keep an umbrella, but don''t.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 8:03:25 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Colt .45
Okay, darn it, my laptop died couple of weeks ago with lightning (with power strip) and I''m waiting for a rebuilt one to be finished (borrowing work laptop now)....SO all emoties went with it....so, imagine little person rolling on floor holding stomach laughing.

On serious note, holy cow.

I considered carrying one in school when I drove home through rough waters, but dh thought if someone saw it (even as a warning), they''d fire at me first.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I think we have the same SUV!!! Mines loaded with the same stuff! Don''t forget the ground in grass and sand! Sometimes there are surfboards in mine, too. Just in case the waves are good. And a stroller for DD if i feel the need to take a walk. I keep a few DVDs for the kids, a first aid kit, a map, a sweatshirt for me and DD.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
If I told you about my car now, it won''t capture the true essence of my personality as I treat my *new* car like gold
3.gif

But in my *old* car--mugs, magazines, empty plastic bags, plastic bags filled with trash, about 15 different sweaters, a change of casual/formal/gym clothes, sneakers, shoes, and tapes everywhere. My car didn''t have a CD player and I lived out of a suitcase for so long that my car kind of became a second home
3.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 8:26:45 PM
Author: fieryred33143
If I told you about my car now, it won''t capture the true essence of my personality as I treat my *new* car like gold
3.gif

But in my *old* car--mugs, magazines, empty plastic bags, plastic bags filled with trash, about 15 different sweaters, a change of casual/formal/gym clothes, sneakers, shoes, and tapes everywhere. My car didn''t have a CD player and I lived out of a suitcase for so long that my car kind of became a second home
3.gif
So, the question is, how long will it take? My experience is that once winter hits, my stuff will grow exponentially. It''s always too cold to clean it out, (cold in the am, hotter in pm) I acquire sweaters and hot drink containers and gloves, etc.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 7:54:48 PM

You sound like a fun mom! I heard somewhere that a big rubbermaid type container in the back is useful for putting groceries and kinds of toys- so they can stay put, etc. I have a huge one in the back of my car now (in addition to the notebooks..) left from moving my daughter back into college last week-that I have tried this week to use to hold groceries. I''m not sure it''s working because I can''t spread out the bread and stuff--things still get smushed. Anyway, I digress.. I used to have similar things when my children were younger.
Aww, thanks! I try although they don''t always appreciate it, lol! All I hear is "Mom, what are we doing next??" and I''m like, "but we just got here!"
40.gif
I have never used containers in my car but I do keep them in my children''s rooms for organization. They are perfect for the train tracks and race tracks. When I still had a stroller (was glad to see that go!) it would go in the back with a divider on top. I could set the groceries right on top and it was the perfect spot (one of the reasons why I chose this SUV). I would just have to pop open the back window to get them, but I don''t do it that way anymore. Groceries tend to go wherever there is an open spot now.
3.gif
I prefer to have the third row down and have more room. My boys also like to pack the car with scooters, skateboards and helmets too. I try to avoid those! Oh yeah, and their instruments, a cello and a violin, there has to be room for those but they do get taken out... In the fall and spring those collapsible chairs are a must too so you will usually find a few as well. And of course an umbrella!

Geez, I don''t think I realized how much stuff I carry around!
32.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 8:33:49 PM

Date: 8/25/2008 7:54:48 PM

Aww, thanks! I try although they don''t always appreciate it, lol! All I hear is ''Mom, what are we doing next??'' and I''m like, ''but we just got here!''
40.gif
I have never used containers in my car but I do keep them in my children''s rooms for organization. They are perfect for the train tracks and race tracks. When I still had a stroller (was glad to see that go!) it would go in the back with a divider on top. I could set the groceries right on top and it was the perfect spot (one of the reasons why I chose this SUV). I would just have to pop open the back window to get them, but I don''t do it that way anymore. Groceries tend to go wherever there is an open spot now.
3.gif
I prefer to have the third row down and have more room. My boys also like to pack the car with scooters, skateboards and helmets too. I try to avoid those! Oh yeah, and their instruments, a cello and a violin, there has to be room for those but they do get taken out... In the fall and spring those collapsible chairs are a must too so you will usually find a few as well. And of course an umbrella!

Geez, I don''t think I realized how much stuff I carry around!
32.gif
Well, you''ve reminded me of what all I carried when my kids were young. It takes me back to a happy place! (I love my teens mind you, but I''m hopelessly sentimental about the early years, too..) Treasure these days...they fly by.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 8:07:08 PM
Author: Miranda

I think we have the same SUV!!! Mines loaded with the same stuff! Don''t forget the ground in grass and sand! Sometimes there are surfboards in mine, too. Just in case the waves are good. And a stroller for DD if i feel the need to take a walk. I keep a few DVDs for the kids, a first aid kit, a map, a sweatshirt for me and DD.
No surfboards for us, although my boys would LOVE that. We are on the east coast and there are hardly any waves. Right now our closest beach is FULL of jellyfish! My boys caught over 40 of them a couple of weeks ago. It was so funny seeing all the kids on the beach trying to catch as many as they could! Winter time there are always skis, snowboards, boots, extra hats, gloves, foot/hand warmers, etc., etc though.... I try to be prepared!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine has:

Scissors
Packing tape
A roll of TP
Papertowels and/or napkins
Umbrella
Water
Two kids' booster seats
Canvas grocery bags
Tons of pens
Post it notes
Hand lotion (l'occitane
1.gif
)

Definetly nothing exciting or expensive!

ETA - and I try and vaccum regulary and keep a shop vac in my garage. I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being IMPECCABLE), my car is normally a 7-8

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results