shape
carat
color
clarity

What color gold for this blue cc spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m trying to figure out what color gold to use. I just got this 2.25 carat color change spinel which has a very nice blue color in the daytime, and it goes to a tanzanite purple at night.

I think rose gold would be nice (except for LD), but I already have a cc spinel in rose gold. Do you think yellow gold is out of the question? I think yellow would look great with the nighttime color, but not so sure about daytime. I won an LOGR legacy, so I just have to pick the gold color. This would fit in the ring.

TLcushionccspinel.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold with blue???????? No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
20.gif

I think yellow gold would really compliment the warmth of the blue and the purple of this one. White gold may be too cold (although as a w/gold wearer I do think it would look lovely).

Have you taken photos next to different colour golds?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think white gold for the blue stone and yellow gold for the purple. I guess you need a cc metal.
9.gif

Seriously, I love purple with 18k yellow gold. That would be my choice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 2:48:07 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
20.gif

I think yellow gold would really compliment the warmth of the blue and the purple of this one. White gold may be too cold (although as a w/gold wearer I do think it would look lovely).

Well, LD, I didn''t have to guess about the rose gold and you!! LOL! BTW, just curious as to why do you hate rose gold so much? Do you think it looks too much like skin tone?

I have the option of getting a two tone Legacy with a yellow gold head and white gold shank, but would that be too much? Should I do one whole color?

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 2:57:48 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I think white gold for the blue stone and yellow gold for the purple. I guess you need a cc metal.
9.gif

I think I would pick yellow gold too.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 2:57:48 PM
Author: Fly Girl
9.gif

Fly Girl already said what I was going to say - I like 18k (or even higher?) for that stone. Really nice stone, btw - it will look nice in that legacy. How many of the legacy settings do you have now? Are you catching up to LTP?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 2:59:32 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 2/7/2010 2:48:07 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
20.gif

Well, LD, I didn't have to guess about the rose gold and you!! LOL! BTW, just curious as to why do you hate rose gold so much? Do you think it looks too much like skin tone?

I have the option of getting a two tone Legacy with a yellow gold head and white gold shank, but would that be too much? Should I do one whole color?
No actually I like it as small accents to enhance a similar colour such as a pink diamond but, for me, it's coppery nature clashes with most other colours and I very much don't like clashing colours.

A two tone Legacy? Didn't somebody do one? I'm pretty sure a forum member has done one in the colour way you've described. I'll go and do a search. From my own perspective, I think a y/gold head and w/gold shank would look too disjointed with a strongly coloured central stone like your spinel. Also you want the gem to take centre stage rather than the setting being the show. Are you against a yellow gold shank?

ETA: I knew I'd seen one. This is rose gold and white gold. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/two-tone-logr-legacy-w-amethyst.105203/

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a yellow gold head and white gold shank would be nice.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Given that it's a Legacy, there will be melee diamonds in the head, so I'd stick with WG. I'm really not a big fan of diamonds in YG, and I almost universally prefer WG for most colored stones as well. But you could always go two-tone as MTG suggested. I like a white shank and yellow head when I use two-tone. That way it looks like a WG ring, but the little bit of YG in the head might do something nice for the stone.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like yellow gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen some amazing blue sapphires in yellow gold which I normally thought would not be complemetary but it changed my mind. If you have any 18K yellow gold around, I''d check it out to see if it''s a good fit.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At night, next to 18K YG.

Far away and same shot close up. So do you like???
33.gif

I don't have a daytime color shot of it next to 18K yg yet.

I would say this color is indigo.

TLcushionccspinelyg.JPG

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2010 7:50:30 PM
At night, next to 18K YG.

Far away and same shot close up. So do you like???
33.gif

I don''t have a daytime color shot of it next to 18K yg yet.

I would say this color is indigo.

Hi TL! I will prefer a rose gold basket with the rest of the ring in wg.. (am I the odd one out) :)? I am not sure if your spinel is more towards blue or purple, my latest spinel is closer to purple and I thought that rose gold basket looks real cool! I am never really a fan of yellow gold though,,

stci

Ideal_Rock
For me, nothing like 18k white gold.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Chictomato, you''re not the only one...I can see rose gold working with this too. It has a very tanzanite-like color shift, and I love tanzanites in rose gold. If it were me I''d probably still stick with white, as RG can be a bit limiting, but it could work.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
BTW, TL, I just noticed a LOGR legacy with YG head and WG shank as well as upgraded diamonds, for a 7mm cushion stone, currently for sale at a decent price on another forum''s classified section (so I can''t link to it). It''s a place frequented by PSers, so hopefully you know what I''m talking about. I''m not sure if your stone is that size or not, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 9:59:17 PM
Author: jstarfireb
BTW, TL, I just noticed a LOGR legacy with YG head and WG shank as well as upgraded diamonds, for a 7mm cushion stone, currently for sale at a decent price on another forum''s classified section (so I can''t link to it). It''s a place frequented by PSers, so hopefully you know what I''m talking about. I''m not sure if your stone is that size or not, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention!
I didn''t see one for upgraded diamonds, but it''s about the same price I won the auction for.
31.gif
Besides, I need to have Stephen size my ring, and this one is too small. Thanks for pointing it out though, that was very kind of you. I appreciate it!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, grape purple and deep purple (amethyst) look great with high karat yellow gold.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda am thinking rg head and wg shank.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
very pretty cushion spinel
some brilliant stuff

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely white gold. I'm not a huge fan of yellow gold with blue.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2010 10:18:22 PM
Author: packrat
+1

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2010 12:07:07 AM
Author: Laila619
Definitely white gold. I''m not a huge fan of yellow gold with blue.
++1

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 3:48:52 AM
Author: chictomato
Date: 2/7/2010 10:18:22 PM

Author: packrat

+1

+2

With the alternative being all white gold. Lovely stone TL!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If the daytime color were a slightly greenish shade of blue I''d say go with yellow in an instant. But since it looks like a straight light blue (somewhat like a color of blue topaz) I just can''t. There''s something in a light blue/yellow combo that I just don''t like, although sometimes (rarely) I find myself liking a design even in those colors. But generally it''s one of my least favorite combinations. Let me point out another question - would you wear the ring more at night or during the day? That might be a good way to decide on the gold color. If you''ll wear it more at night, I''d accentuate that tanzanite shade with YG, if it''ll mostly be a daytime piece, I''d keep it plain and simple in white. Have fun deciding!

P. S. While I agree that two-tone might be a good idea, especially for the evening color, I''m not so sure about mixing both colors of metal with a light shade of blue.

P. P. S. I think RG might overwhelm the daytime color, while it certainly could enhance the evening shade.

P. P. P. S. A mix of rose and white...? Why not! Especially if there''s not too much rose (like, the head only).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think yellow gold works for most colors except for saturated orange (and still may work!). WG kills any "cold" colors. Green, for example, usually doesn''t look good in WG. I think you can not lose with YG.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2010 10:02:33 PM
I found this picture at gemsfromearth.com, and it''s a more grape purple spinel than mine, but in what appears to be 18K yg. Maybe the more grape purple works better with yellow gold?

http://www.gemsfromearth.com/OtherImages/A90359-3.jpg

For some reason, I can''t upload the pic, so I''m sending the link.

Here''s a tanzanite in rose gold, which is more the color of my spinel at nighttime I think.

http://www.rhyansdesignstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Rose-Gold-Pear-Tanzanite-bst.jpg
What do you see when you look at this ring? I see only the setting not the main gemstone. It totally overwhelms the stone. Just my 2 cents (or 2p as we say in England - God Save the Queen)!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, that setting the tanzanite is in has a lot more metal, but I still see the tanzanite in there. I personally do not think it overwhelms the stone, but makes it stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results