shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2007 9:14:40 AM
Author: blushingbride
''The Lovely Bones'' by Alice Sebold
This book is being made into a movie. I typically don''t enjoy books that are made into movies, because movies so often seem to lack the ability to develop characters like a good book; I hope this is an exception.

Labbie, Middlesex was riveting, wasn''t it?!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2007 2:03:10 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 12/24/2007 12:57:52 AM
Author: FireGoddess
At some point I should finish reading ''Lord of the Rings.'' I''ve had a bookmark halfway through that thing for YEARS.
20.gif
FG, I feel that the only way to get through any J.R.R. Tolkien book is by having someone read it to you, hee hee. My mother read us his works when my brother and I were maybe 4 and 8, and on...and even then I was scared beyond belief. I digress..I wanted to tell you to have your DH read it to you if possible, JRRT''s works are so much better when they''re sort of fed to you in chapters! Sometimes DH and I read to each other, there is something so comforting and just ''nice'' about being read to even when you''re a grown-up!
I should try that Monnie!!! Several years ago (before the Peter Jackson set of movies came out) I tried to read The Hobbit and couldn''t get into it. I put it down and finally months later was so irritated that I took it with me on a plane which forced me to read it for lack of having anything else to do. Once I got into it, it was great. However, I tend to glaze over when there are pages and pages of intricate descriptions of things. I think that''s why it''s taking me so long to get through the LOTR. I go through phases of not being able to put it down, and then leave it for a year at a time! I''m somewhere in the middle of The Two Towers. I will have to get DH to read it to me.
5.gif

Re: Middlesex by Eugenides...GREAT book, very compelling story!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2007 9:07:45 AM
Author: sputat
I''m reading DELUXE: How Luxury Lost Its Luster by Dana Thomas for the nth time since I got it.

A good read about the behind-the-scenes of the luxury fashion industry today. Made me rethink about the IT bag phenomenon. Haven''t bought a Louis for keeps since.

That sounds like an interesting one! I''ll have to get it.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 7:53:55 PM

Stephen King is my favorite. But the Dark Tower series is one of the best stories ever written. Ever. I hope you girls have read it.
4.gif

Oh, I very much enjoyed the Dark Tower series.

It seems like I am always reading some type of kiddie lit (to preview it for my students) right now I am reading something called Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life (I can''t recall the author right off hand)

As far as big kid books go, right now I am working on The Godfather. I am hoping that the book shaped present under my tree is I am America and You can Too by Stephen Colbert. If so, that will be the next thing I read.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I am reading ''The Lovely Bones'' by Alice Sebold - it''s fabulous and really well written!

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I just notice this comment, and I had to second it. The Lovely Bones is among my favorite books. It''s one of those you can read in a day.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i''m currently reading "the secret life of bees" by sue monk kidd which i''m really enjoying.

i read both "lucky" and "the lovely bones" by alice sebold a couple of years ago. i think she''s an amazing writer, but something about the story lines really didn''t sit well with me. i''m not sure what. i haven''t read her lastest book, "the almost moon". i haven''t decided if i will yet.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually just finished reading 'Rhett Butler's People' which was awesome! If you are a Gone with the Wind fan, definitely pick up this book, the 'authorized' story of Rhett from childhood to adulthood. I also just finished 'Where the Heart Is'....which was part of Oprah's book club from a year or two ago I guess...it was pretty good also. Now I'm hunting for more reads. Will have to check out some of the suggestions here.

Zoe, I just read Baby Proof about 2 months ago, it was really hard for me to get into and I kind of didn't understand the characters just giving up so easily to start with...I wasn't surprised at the ending but I felt like the whole book was a little bit of a 'weak' read. And I really like her other books, but not so much this one.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
"Next" by Michael Crichton. I''ve read all his fiction books. Love them!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am currently reading the Northern Lights (the trilogy being filmed as the Golden Compass) really good it has been a while since I have been able to get into a book I miss reading

I also highly recommend Rich Dad, Poor Dad read that a while ago and it is a good beginning book to get you thinking. I read it a few years back and it was fairly validating. There is also a Cashflow game that is created by the same person a little x''e at $200 but again good to play especially with other people that don''t necessarily think along the same way you do
1.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll definitely be making a trip to the bookstore soon. I just got a few gift cards so I''m writing down a few titles to check out.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved the other books by the author of Baby Proof...Something Borrowed and Something Blue.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2007 9:11:03 PM
Author: diamondfan
I loved the other books by the author of Baby Proof...Something Borrowed and Something Blue.
Yeah, they were good! The author uses "Sophie Kinsella" as a pseudonym; her real name is Madeline Wickham (or something like that). She wrote a few books in her own name but I haven''t read any yet.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Eat Pray Love

I''m finding it a fun interesting read

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2007 9:18:59 PM
Author: zoebartlett

Yeah, they were good! The author uses ''Sophie Kinsella'' as a pseudonym; her real name is Madeline Wickham (or something like that). She wrote a few books in her own name but I haven''t read any yet.

Actually her name is Emily Griffin, and I have been to her website. I think she lives in Atlanta? SHe has three books out and is working on a third. She still could be using a pseudonym, but I do not think she and Sophie Kinsella are the same person, though I am not a betting woman!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2007 2:55:08 AM

Date: 12/25/2007 9:18:59 PM
Author: zoebartlett

Yeah, they were good! The author uses ''Sophie Kinsella'' as a pseudonym; her real name is Madeline Wickham (or something like that). She wrote a few books in her own name but I haven''t read any yet.

Actually her name is Emily Griffin, and I have been to her website. I think she lives in Atlanta? SHe has three books out and is working on a third. She still could be using a pseudonym, but I do not think she and Sophie Kinsella are the same person, though I am not a betting woman!
Oops, I knew that. I''ve read Emily Giffin''s books but for some reason I had the "Shopaholic" series in my head at the time. It''s the author of the Shopaholic books that uses a pseudonym.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2007 6:45:11 PM
Author: Fancy605

I am reading ''The Lovely Bones'' by Alice Sebold - it''s fabulous and really well written!

Sorry to post twice in a row, but I just notice this comment, and I had to second it. The Lovely Bones is among my favorite books. It''s one of those you can read in a day.
I read "The Lovely Bones" and "Lucky" last year around this time and like them both. They''re making a movie of "The Lovely Bones"...I forget who''s supposed to be starring in it.

I like her books, but they are kind of heavy on the heart...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2007 12:32:50 AM
Author: bebe
Eat Pray Love

Just read this a few weeks ago...I found it easy to get through the first two parts but a bit tough/lost interest on the third part. Let me know what you thought when you finish!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I got two books for Christmas from DD [among other things]. I have almost finished You: Staying Young: The Owner''s Manual for Extending Your Warranty (You) by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz. I will start reading Ageless Face, Ageless Mind: Erase Wrinkles and Rejuvenate the Brain by Nicholas Perricone tomorrow.

Hmmmm . . . am I concerned about making sure I age as little as possible? LOL!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are filming the Lovely Bones outside of Philly. I think Stanley Tucci plays the killer and Michael Imperioli is in it as well. Not sure about the other cast. Some of those books are tough to read now that I am a mom, though I read my share of them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2007 8:02:44 PM

Eat Pray Love

Just read this a few weeks ago...I found it easy to get through the first two parts but a bit tough/lost interest on the third part. Let me know what you thought when you finish!
My coworker had the same issue Monnie...!! I don''t think she ever finished.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*scratches head* BTW...I keep forgetting to mention that one of DH and my favorite things to read are those Bathroom Readers...anyone else love these? There are like 20 volumes of these books, they are paperbacks full of absolutely trivial but very interesting tidbits of knowledge on things you maybe fleeting wondered about but didn''t care enough to google? well...we love them and I get DH one or two a year...since they are "bathroom reading" they take about six months to get through each book anyway. I highly recommend them, LOL! Maybe everyone loves them but I''m the only one who employs the least amount of tact here to mention them...hee hee.
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently re-reading Harry Potter. I just started the 5th book (*for about the 10th time). Prior to those, I read "God Grew Tired of Us" by John Dau, one of the Lost Boys of Sudan.

Also, I''ve been picking up a lot of Stephen King lately. And, I started reading a bible study book. It''s very interesting.

Besides that, I''ve been reading Christmas books like "A Christmas Carol"

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2007 9:00:55 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 12/26/2007 8:02:44 PM

Eat Pray Love

My coworker had the same issue Monnie...!! I don''t think she ever finished.
Same here! I just kinda lost interest in it. The whole "message" was cool, but it lost something in the translation. I heard the author was on Oprah not too long ago- would''ve like to have seen it, just to learn about what she''s up to now.

Just finished MY SISTER''S KEEPER. It was excellent- I''d recommend it.

Next up is LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA. Got it for xmas!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steel-I LOVE Stephen King!! My favourite of his is the green mile. I read it before it came out on film and I just adored it! The book was so much better than the movie.

At the moment, I''m reading "talking with serial killers". I adore reading about true life crime. I just finished one of Paul Williams books (he''s a crime reporter in Ireland) "Gangland".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
today''s book is Fighting Men by Jim Morris.
Its a collection of Vietnam war stories.
Its pretty intense.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2007 6:43:53 PM
Author: Fancy605

Date: 12/23/2007 7:53:55 PM

Stephen King is my favorite. But the Dark Tower series is one of the best stories ever written. Ever. I hope you girls have read it.
4.gif

Oh, I very much enjoyed the Dark Tower series.

It seems like I am always reading some type of kiddie lit (to preview it for my students) right now I am reading something called Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life (I can't recall the author right off hand)

As far as big kid books go, right now I am working on The Godfather. I am hoping that the book shaped present under my tree is I am America and You can Too by Stephen Colbert. If so, that will be the next thing I read.
dark tower rocks.
I need to get the libary and check out the whole series and start from the first thru the last.
I have 3 of them that I bought but have read the rest.
Eventualy I want to own them all.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2007 4:27:38 PM
Author: bee*
Steel-I LOVE Stephen King!! My favourite of his is the green mile. I read it before it came out on film and I just adored it! The book was so much better than the movie.

At the moment, I''m reading ''talking with serial killers''. I adore reading about true life crime. I just finished one of Paul Williams books (he''s a crime reporter in Ireland) ''Gangland''.
My favorite is Stephen King is The Stand uncut version.
The mini-series totaly sucked.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I hated The Stand mini-series! It was just awful!! I have been reading the Dark Tower books again. I read the first two years ago, and now that there are so many, I''ve picked them back up. My favorite Stephen King is The Talisman. Every time I read the "flock of creep", I crack up.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently reading Nelson Demille''s Wildfire. It''s one of his with John Corey (agent with the ATTF) as the main character. I like it so far. My DH gave me World Without End for Christmas by Ken Follett. It''s the sequel to The Pillars of the Earth which has to be one of the best books I have ever read. I hope I''m not disappointed.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace is on my bedside table right now. DH is reading The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore which I highly rec also. Next on the shelf for me is an Adriana Trigiani book - I love the Big Gap series.

-- Anyway, I mentioned I was reading Consider the Lobster to my dad since DFW taught for awhile at our alma mater, and my dad goes "Oh yeah! David - Sally''s kid!" - the author''s mother is a former colleague of my dad''s. Crazy.

--I read Eat Pray Love on my honeymoon - um, not the best timing choice. Keep up with it, I liked the ending.

Has anyone read P.S. I Love You by Celia Ahern? Saw the movie last night and was FURIOUS because the plot was so ridiculously not like the book...until this afternoon, when I realized I never read P.S. I Love You. I''d read Love, Rosie by Ahern instead - which was a good book, too.

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results