shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the most desirable colors for these gemstones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Honestly, I like the different colors of stones. In tanzanite, I LOVE the green/blue type. I have a couple that change from green to blue when you shift them and they are my favorite. It veries by person honestly. Technically, a dark sky blue is best of sapphire, grass green for emerald, and deep velvet blue for tanzie. I dont like those colors o n any of them LOL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2009 5:49:49 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
what is not desirable in a blue sapphire?
if the blue sapphire has a secondary greenish hue, that is not desirable right?
grey tones are not good too right?

Any tinge of green is not desirable in a blue sapphire, same with yellow. Grays are also not raved about because it means that the saturation is lacking.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2009 5:52:32 PM
Author: megeve

Date: 11/9/2009 6:50:58 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
These various gems were all described as ''stop light'' or ''pure red'', but I think they all look pretty different, lol. Although a part of that might just be photo taking skills (these are all different vendors)

Personally I like the color of #1 best, whatever it''s called!
This is what I would call a ''stop light'' red!
3.gif
Looks plenty red to me too.
2.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Found this but still I am not 100% sure if this is a good velvelty blue for tanzanite or is it too dark? (still training my eyes!!
1.gif
)

velvety123.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone possibly has a slight window. Colour wise, the tone appears too dark and not saturated enough.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 9:01:12 AM
Author: Chrono
The stone possibly has a slight window. Colour wise, the tone appears too dark and not saturated enough.
I agree. The other thing is that it''s just a tad too grey. It''s dark (and too dark in some areas) BUT the photo has been taken from an odd angle. On the plus side you can see that there are areas of purple peeping through. Is it possible to ask for more photos? Perhaps one on the hand? That would give a better idea of how the gemstone might look once set because if it''s dark now, without being set, there''s a very real possibility that it will become too dark once set.

With a very good Tanzanite, you don''t want to see any hint of grey. You want it to be a rich, warm, almost velvet colour if that makes sense.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if this helps but compare the one you''ve found with the pictures I posted above. Can you see how the one you''ve found is overall much darker and doesn''t have the areas of intense blue?

velvety123.jpg

Tanzanite%20Comparison.jpg

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 9:56:47 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I don''t know if this helps but compare the one you''ve found with the pictures I posted above. Can you see how the one you''ve found is overall much darker and doesn''t have the areas of intense blue?

velvety123.jpg

Tanzanite%20Comparison.jpg

LD, it helps! Now that the pics are together I can tell the difference so easily! And I can see what you are saying about the touch of grey in the dark stone! Thank you!

Chrono, thanks for nailing it! I needed that confirmation!

I do not intent to buy this stone, just wanted to test my eyes on what I am seeing, as you can see I am not 100% there yet!
11.gif
I will be in Cape Town, South Africa early ''10 and I might have the chance to shop for some african stone like tanzanite, so I am trying to start training now that I get it right colorwise. One more Q, what else do I need to know when I am buying in SA? Any advice? Or anyone else knows?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 9:16:06 AM
Author: haagen_dazs
since someone talked about stop light red
could you give me your opinions on this colour?
i dont know why i cannot edit but disregard this
i moved my question to another more appropriate thread

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummm, I so adore that emerald cut tanzanite!

My tanzanite has a touch of grey, but it's unheated, so I don't mind so much. Still, I'd LOVE to have something the color of that emerald one day.
30.gif

Have fun in SA Megeve!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve - glad it''s helped. Why don''t you have a look at Multicolour.com as they have tons of Tanzanite. You can see the difference in all the colours on there. There''s a fabulous bluish violet one on then at the mo but you can also see the lighter colours etc. Lapigems is another good place to look - typically their gemstones are very highly saturated and some can be a little dark BUT on the whole they''re lovely.

MTG - Glad you like it! Heating Tanzanite tends to drive off the brown but many stones (heated and unheated) retain grey so I''m not sure that the lack of heating is responsible for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
I think your tanzanite looks great, especially for an unheated stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results