shape
carat
color
clarity

WFD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Take out, I''m too tired to cook. I just have to decide from where now & send DH on his merry way.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m doing shabu shabu beef. Totally easy and quick and yummy! Gotta get the beef from a korean or japanese market though. It is sliced paper thin. So thin they have to slice it while it''s frozen. Anyway, once thawed it cooks in 2 seconds. Just drop it in boiling water for like, 30 seconds. Then serve it with a dipping sauce (soy sauce, rice vinegar, sake, lil sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds)...YUM! I serve over steamed rice.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 7:43:08 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''m doing shabu shabu beef. Totally easy and quick and yummy! Gotta get the beef from a korean or japanese market though. It is sliced paper thin. So thin they have to slice it while it''s frozen. Anyway, once thawed it cooks in 2 seconds. Just drop it in boiling water for like, 30 seconds. Then serve it with a dipping sauce (soy sauce, rice vinegar, sake, lil sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds)...YUM! I serve over steamed rice.
so this is boiled (very thin) meat over rice with dipping sauce? Is the meat marinated at all or... ?? Sounds kinda good... there''s a huge asian market here but it''s not in my regular circle of activity... I don''t go often, but I hope the next time I do I remember this!

BTW we did have meatloaf and mashed potatoes and carrots (skipped the salad - why be healthy when you''re having comfort food? LOL) and today... I have a friend''s daughter over and we made... ::cough:: pigs in blankets. Cheap crescent rolls but at least the dogs were kosher LOL I make those about once every 2-3 years and today is the lucky day (which reminds me why I never make them.... yuck!!! LOL) I like the idea more than the flavor. Oh well, they were very very very easy :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:24:30 PM
Author: Aloros

Date: 7/18/2007 7:20:08 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 7/18/2007 6:56:04 PM
Author: Aloros
Probably tortilla soup. We made some last night and it was spectacular!

Maybe something else. He''s home from a tooth extraction, and we''ve plans tonight, so he may whip something up before I get back.
what goes in tortilla soup??? besides tortillas that is lol
There''s tomatoes, celery, bell pepper, corn, olives, jalapenos, chicken, and of course, tortilla chips! I''m sure I''m missing some ingredients. My bf did most of the prep work. But whoooo boy is it TASTY! I ate some for lunch and I still want to eat it for dinner again.
so do the chips stay crunchy or get soft? I just assumed it was like torn pieces of corn tortillas or flour tortillas.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:29:40 PM
Author: curiopotter
I''m making Cioppino. It''s like a broth based fish/clam/mussel soup.. they have a rachael ray recipe on foodtv, she drives me insane BUT her recipe is very quick and delish..

THEN I was thinking about making some polenta... but I think I''m gonna add some parmesan cheese to the polenta, pour and spread it on a oiled cookie sheet, and let it cool down, then i''ll cut little triangles out and quick fry them for my soup.

YUM-O.
omg you dork LOL mrs ray drives you nuts yet you say both delish AND yum-o in ONE POST!!!!! LOL

I love fried polenta. My mom used to saute mushrooms in butter, remove them and make a mushroom gravy that she poured over polenta. I think there might was a sausage and mushroom version as well but I liked the mushrooms.

I make this vegan black bean and sweet potato stew (epicurious) with fried polenta. I really didn''t need to say it was vegan, it''s just awesome, but I find it a really awesome pot luck addition in case anyone IS vegan.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:34:09 PM
Author: KimberlyH
BBQ chicken, squash and a green salad.
I haven''t had squash in a long time.... I''ll have to put that on my list! Wait, I''ve had summer squashes, but I mean like butternut or acorn.... I think even though you shouldn''t be able to, you can get them this time of year.... ??? I''ll look lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:35:18 PM
Author: Julianna
I totally ate 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts for dinner tonight.
emembarrassed.gif

BUT I had some delish lobster ravioli at Macaroni Grill for lunch and it had asparagus on it! Asparagus, I say!!
what KIND of kkd''s?

I hear macaroni grill has THE best lighting for diamond viewing.... :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:51:24 PM
Author: MC
We are having canned soup for dinner tonight!!!

I''m very dedicated to using organic whole food ingredients and making my husband and kids healthy meals that will help them grow strong & stay that way, but all they do is b*tch and complain and half the time refuse to eat, and I''m fed up. I think I''m turning into a disgruntled housewife, so I am giving them canned chicken noodle soup and I''m just going to drink a beer and maybe order a little gold necklace I''ve been eyeing at Nordies!
bahahaha yeah I face this as well, and I''m disgruntled too, but I think the dh might be coming around and I can put up with the kid grumbles. The dh can actually go out and bring home junk and ARG he thinks he gets 1/2 the say on how the kids are raised!!!!! I don''t mind refusals to eat. Eventually they will elect to not starve LOL My kids gave up on that battle with me long ago and I carefully explained to them - not everything you eat has to be your favorite, food is a tool. Sometimes you need to eat things you only think are okay and THAT is okay.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:55:52 PM
Author: justjulia
Crocked a pork roast last night---that, reheated, with cheesy potatos and some steamed broccolli,,,,,,,and then beer and Oreos.
2.gif
hehehe do you dip the oreos in your beer?? LOL!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 9:12:09 PM
Author: Skippy123

I''m making Cioppino. It''s like a broth based fish/clam/mussel soup.. they have a rachael ray recipe on foodtv, she drives me insane BUT her recipe is very quick and delish..

THEN I was thinking about making some polenta... but I think I''m gonna add some parmesan cheese to the polenta, pour and spread it on a oiled cookie sheet, and let it cool down, then i''ll cut little triangles out and quick fry them for my soup.

YUM-O.
She bugs the crap out of me too! I want to slap her; her talk show drives me nuts too! She is phony and LOUD; I don''t see what Oprah sees in her
14.gif
Do others feel this way????
20.gif
oh she bugs me. I like her better on $40 a day but still - eh. I could never say delish or yummo or evoo LOL I''m not a huge oprah fan either. She''s okay. There are things I admire about her - some greatly, but I''m not drawn to her and I don''t think she''s got a wonderful personality. I don''t really enjoy watching her but she does things that I do really admire.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 10:11:29 PM
Author: marcyc
We had chicken fetticine alfredo (light sauce) with some oven toasted garlic bread and raw veggies.
did you make the "Light sauce" or was it bought? I rarely (okay almost never) make this because I haven''t found a light sauce I can make at home that I enjoy. I mean how do you make BUTTER, CREAM, AND CHEESE light? LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 10:14:08 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Chicken scallopine here. YUMMO
18.gif
is that thin slices of chicken in a casserole or am I way off? maybe I am thinking of chicken parmesan....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 2:12:40 PM
Author: mercoledi
This is a neat idea Cehra.

Last night was clean-out-the-fridge night, so there's not a lot of food in the house. I threw together a salad with red lettuce, a slightly wilty cuke and some carrots. Once it was dressed with a tasty cardamom vinegrette it didn't even resemble the stale veggies it began as!

Main course was tagliatelli tossed with frew herbs from the windowsill, olive oil, garlic and red pepper. DH broke out the blueberry icecream later on, but I was too full of noodles to help much.

Tonight we're headed to a ball game, so probably pre-game tacos and beer.

Man, I haven't had meatloaf for ages...
I make meatloaf about 4x a year. I use Ina Garten's recipe for turkey meatloaf which calls for 5# of turkey breast!! So we end up with a day or two of leftovers as well. I love Ina Garten's recipes. She is way up high among my favorites, but sometimes she bugs me... but I think it's cause I'm jealous of her kitchen and gardens!!! LOL

ETA: I wanted to say the blueberry ice cream sounds amazing!!!! So cool and refreshing! And I have some cardamom pods here... how do you make the vinegrette?

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, Manzana it is...I have till DH gets out of the shower to decide if I want the Fire Roasted Rotisserie chicken (seasoned melt in your mouth chicken served with chicken gravy & garlic mashers) or Citrus Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin. I am doing the Fire Roasted Artichoke (steamed split & fire roasted with butter & served with garlic remoulade..mmmm..fave appy there).

I always get the chicken. I will most likely get it again. He''s getting Rock Shrimp Pasta. I''m so lame. I normally LOVE to cook...too tired.

Cehra: Ah yes, that wonderful Asian Market..its REALLY out of the way for me, but I took sushi lessons there & now I make a killer california roll & nigiri sushi with either salmon or yellowtail. If I''m going to all the trouble of making sushi, (actually the class was very helpful & only $15!!! I actually committed it all to memory) I will drive over there to get sashimi grade raw fish. Something about having the Japanese sashimi cutters picking out my fish that makes me feel confident that its a good cut. And their produce is simply beautiful. If it was close to my house, I''d probably shop there weekly. As it is, I can barely make it to the closest Trader Joes which is half way between my house & the asian market.

A few nights ago I made one really quick dish that was tasty (and nice on a hot day):

Turkey Taco Salad: One bag "Fresh Express Salsa Salad" (lettuce, salsa, dressing, tortilla strips, shredded cheese in one bag!), 1lb ground turkey breast, 1 can of black beans, 1 tomato, 1 avacado, taco seasoning.

Brown turkey meat, add seasoning & drained black beans

Dice tomato, slice avacado

Mix salad & put on plate.

dish on taco & bean mixture, top with tomatoes, garnish with avacado. mmmmmm....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 5:57:41 PM
Tonight it''s butternut squash and shallot pasta w/ a green salad.

I like RR''s cooking shows, but I don''t like her talk show.
I have friends who went to her show and left with a worse opinion of her than when they got there... said she was pretty rude and aloof to the audience. I''d love to be in Ellen''s audience though... that woman always has a warmth to her IMO.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 6:07:58 PM
Author: poshpepper
Dinner tonight (if I end up having time to make it in between errands):

Grilled Salmon with Orzo pasta. Orzo pasta has wilted spinach, fresh tomato chunks, basil, salt and EV Olive oil.
18.gif

This thread is making me hungry...
3.gif
love salmon!! We almost always have broccoli and salmon together because dh hates them both and the kids and I love it so those nights the dh makes menudo
14.gif
which we all don''t like... so I don''t get enough variety with my salmon... always broccoli so the *poor* dh doesn''t have to *suffer* on more than one day.... LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 6:20:30 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/19/2007 5:36:12 PM

My hubby makes his face all twitchy like she does! Big expressions=fake just my impression of her. Some people like her, I guess.
20.gif
Oh yeah, I forgot my dad and cousin had a crush on her.
14.gif

So no onions for dinner?!??!?
9.gif
Only in the tater salad.
9.gif

Posh, your dinner sounds yummy!!

I am starving, this thread is not helping....
LOL! I love potato salad, but mine really is the best LOL (no modesty there) There are actually others I''ve had I like, but the ones in the store are not good to me at all. I made like 10 pounds of potatoes worth for the 4th LOL We''re having our annual party next weekend and I need to do that again.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 8:36:42 PM
Author: divergrrl
Ok, Manzana it is...I have till DH gets out of the shower to decide if I want the Fire Roasted Rotisserie chicken (seasoned melt in your mouth chicken served with chicken gravy & garlic mashers) or Citrus Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin. I am doing the Fire Roasted Artichoke (steamed split & fire roasted with butter & served with garlic remoulade..mmmm..fave appy there).

I always get the chicken. I will most likely get it again. He''s getting Rock Shrimp Pasta. I''m so lame. I normally LOVE to cook...too tired.

Cehra: Ah yes, that wonderful Asian Market..its REALLY out of the way for me, but I took sushi lessons there & now I make a killer california roll & nigiri sushi with either salmon or yellowtail. If I''m going to all the trouble of making sushi, (actually the class was very helpful & only $15!!! I actually committed it all to memory) I will drive over there to get sashimi grade raw fish. Something about having the Japanese sashimi cutters picking out my fish that makes me feel confident that its a good cut. And their produce is simply beautiful. If it was close to my house, I''d probably shop there weekly. As it is, I can barely make it to the closest Trader Joes which is half way between my house & the asian market.

A few nights ago I made one really quick dish that was tasty (and nice on a hot day):

Turkey Taco Salad: One bag ''Fresh Express Salsa Salad'' (lettuce, salsa, dressing, tortilla strips, shredded cheese in one bag!), 1lb ground turkey breast, 1 can of black beans, 1 tomato, 1 avacado, taco seasoning.

Brown turkey meat, add seasoning & drained black beans

Dice tomato, slice avacado

Mix salad & put on plate.

dish on taco & bean mixture, top with tomatoes, garnish with avacado. mmmmmm....
Manzana???? That sounds really good but I''ve never heard of this!! I think the market is about half way between us actually - I''m way out in H. I do have to go out of my way to get to that market (and frankly if I was preg I don''t think I could handle the ::ahem:: exotic smells even if it was convenient or I wasn''t tired LOL) have you ever been to zupans? I got THE most amazing home made marshmallow there and they had some other really fun things, but mostly it just seemed overpriced. There wasn''t a ton there I couldn''t get elsewhere that I really needed but it was fun.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Great thread idea. Hmmmmm...It's 6:15 and I still don't know what is for dinner. Probably sauteed chicked with a caper sauce I have left over from a couple of nights ago, corn cooked with half and half (just a little) salt and pepper, and rice.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Cehra,

Here''s a butternut squash recipe for you, since you said you love squash and haven''t had it in a while (we eat alota squash ''round here!):

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=226732

This was the best dinner I''ve made in quite some time. I added a bit of extra EVOO (I''m so RR!). DH said it was the best butternut squash dish he''d ever eaten. And it took all of 35 minutes to make. Green salad on the side and some bread if you feel the need...dinner is served.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 8:32:09 PM

Date: 7/18/2007 9:12:09 PM

YUM-O.
She bugs the crap out of me too! I want to slap her; her talk show drives me nuts too! She is phony and LOUD; I don''t see what Oprah sees in her
14.gif
Do others feel this way????
20.gif
oh she bugs me. I like her better on $40 a day but still - eh. I could never say delish or yummo or evoo LOL I''m not a huge oprah fan either. She''s okay. There are things I admire about her - some greatly, but I''m not drawn to her and I don''t think she''s got a wonderful personality. I don''t really enjoy watching her but she does things that I do really admire.
OMG Cerha I feel the same exact way as you do w/Oprah. I love all the good she does but I don''t feel the draw to her. I use to but that was very short lived dunno why?

I read the thing about your friends seeing Rachael Ray IRL; now that makes me dislike her more. She is so loud and abnoxious.
14.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 8:47:34 PM

LOL! I love potato salad, but mine really is the best LOL (no modesty there) There are actually others I''ve had I like, but the ones in the store are not good to me at all. I made like 10 pounds of potatoes worth for the 4th LOL We''re having our annual party next weekend and I need to do that again.
Um, sorry, MINE''S the best.
9.gif
I don''t even attempt to eat any store bought, but I will try homemade from other people.

I actually use the recipe from the Hellman''s mayo jar (known as Best Foods west of the Rockies). It''s to die for.
18.gif

And I heard the same thing about the lighting in the MG, so I went to see. Eh, I''ve seen much better.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
RR really, really annoys me. On all her shows. I like that skinny Italian chick a lot better, and her food looks like it would be quite tasty. But then I grew up eating home-cooked Italian, so I''m biased.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 8:23:10 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/19/2007 8:47:34 PM

Um, sorry, MINE''S the best.
9.gif
I don''t even attempt to eat any store bought, but I will try homemade from other people.

I actually use the recipe from the Hellman''s mayo jar (known as Best Foods west of the Rockies). It''s to die for.
18.gif

And I heard the same thing about the lighting in the MG, so I went to see. Eh, I''ve seen much better.
I''ll have to look and see...... brb bummer, my jar has a chicken parmesan recipe (wonder what the mayo is for in that - have to check later lol) so.... is this the recipe you use?
http://www.bestfoods.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=6609&version=1
2 lbs. potatoes (5 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 cup Hellmann''s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (optional)

I don''t know the amounts, but what I put in mine is:
prusset otatoes, mayo, mustard (dry and yellow), sweet relish, red onion, celery, pepper, lots of boiled eggs, and a little sprinkle from a ranch dressing packet to taste (too much is a bad thing, it is just a flavor rounder). There''s a bit of a deviled egg quality to it but we all love that.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 8:34:10 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
RR really, really annoys me. On all her shows. I like that skinny Italian chick a lot better, and her food looks like it would be quite tasty. But then I grew up eating home-cooked Italian, so I''m biased.
I like her better too (giada) but her body is beyond amazing and I hate her for that lol I love Alton Brown. But the fntw chef I use the recipes for the most is barefoot contessa (ina). My dh got me an everyday italian cookbook but if the dh knew me he woulda gotten the other LOL shhhhhhh..... I''ve actually not used giada''s cookbook even once.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 10:18:19 PM
Cehra,

Here''s a butternut squash recipe for you, since you said you love squash and haven''t had it in a while (we eat alota squash ''round here!):

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=226732

This was the best dinner I''ve made in quite some time. I added a bit of extra EVOO (I''m so RR!). DH said it was the best butternut squash dish he''d ever eaten. And it took all of 35 minutes to make. Green salad on the side and some bread if you feel the need...dinner is served.
mmmm thank you! I love squash and brown sugar
18.gif
I have yet to find a squash soup recipe I love..... I love the idea of squash soup but the one I made (which wasn''t simple as it was all roasted first) really was
14.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 11:30:54 PM

OMG Cerha I feel the same exact way as you do w/Oprah. I love all the good she does but I don''t feel the draw to her. I use to but that was very short lived dunno why?
funny, I used to like her more also.... but she''s gotten hard or something, there''s something... I dunno. I imagine it is hard to be where she is.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 1:37:05 PM
I''ll have to look and see...... brb bummer, my jar has a chicken parmesan recipe (wonder what the mayo is for in that - have to check later lol) so.... is this the recipe you use?
http://www.bestfoods.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=6609&version=1
2 lbs. potatoes (5 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 cup Hellmann''s® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped (optional)

I don''t know the amounts, but what I put in mine is:
prusset otatoes, mayo, mustard (dry and yellow), sweet relish, red onion, celery, pepper, lots of boiled eggs, and a little sprinkle from a ranch dressing packet to taste (too much is a bad thing, it is just a flavor rounder). There''s a bit of a deviled egg quality to it but we all love that.
Yep, that''s it. Although I only use like 4 med. pot. and I do use the eggs.

I used to make it a lot like you do, til I found this recipe. I just like this one better now. But anything is better than store bought.
14.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 8:18:29 PM

Date: 7/19/2007 7:43:08 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I'm doing shabu shabu beef. Totally easy and quick and yummy! Gotta get the beef from a korean or japanese market though. It is sliced paper thin. So thin they have to slice it while it's frozen. Anyway, once thawed it cooks in 2 seconds. Just drop it in boiling water for like, 30 seconds. Then serve it with a dipping sauce (soy sauce, rice vinegar, sake, lil sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds)...YUM! I serve over steamed rice.
so this is boiled (very thin) meat over rice with dipping sauce? Is the meat marinated at all or... ?? Sounds kinda good... there's a huge asian market here but it's not in my regular circle of activity... I don't go often, but I hope the next time I do I remember this!

BTW we did have meatloaf and mashed potatoes and carrots (skipped the salad - why be healthy when you're having comfort food? LOL) and today... I have a friend's daughter over and we made... ::cough:: pigs in blankets. Cheap crescent rolls but at least the dogs were kosher LOL I make those about once every 2-3 years and today is the lucky day (which reminds me why I never make them.... yuck!!! LOL) I like the idea more than the flavor. Oh well, they were very very very easy :)
I've done it both ways - I've made a marinade similar to the dipping sauce and layered it in a tupperware in between slices of the beef and let it marinade for awhile. My korean friend taught me that way. My japanese friend mentioned that she made shabu shabu by quickly putting the meat in boiling water and doing the dipping sauce, so I did it that way this week.

All in all, the marinade makes the meat taste even tastier, but it repeats on me cuz the garlic is like WOW, as opposed to being milder when it's just in the dipping sauce.
2.gif

ETA: I've done the pigs in blankets recently when I wanted to be bad, but made it more
17.gif
by using the 97% fat free Hebrew National beef hot dogs and the reduced fat crescent roll dough.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 1:46:50 PM

Date: 7/20/2007 8:34:10 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
I like her better too (giada) but her body is beyond amazing and I hate her for that lol I love Alton Brown. But the fntw chef I use the recipes for the most is barefoot contessa (ina). My dh got me an everyday italian cookbook but if the dh knew me he woulda gotten the other LOL shhhhhhh..... I''ve actually not used giada''s cookbook even once.
I love Giada, watch her every day, but her cookbook is just MEH. I flipped thru it at a W-S store and ended up deciding I''d stick to just printing out the occasional recipe I like from the Food Network website.

I love Ina. I met her at a book signing. Really nice woman. I have her French cookbook and it rocks. Watch her show every day too. I don''t make too much of her stuff cuz I''m trying to cook lighter, and Giada''s sorta better for that.

RR''s personality just irritates me. I made one of her recipes (greek burgers) and BLECH! We tossed out the rest of them. However, I made a pannetone bread pudding of hers at Christmas time and it was really good. So she''s hit or miss. Had better luck with Ina or Giada''s recipes.

I adore Alton...sometimes he can be irritating but as a scientist I totally ''get'' him. And love Good Eats. Fascinating stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results