shape
carat
color
clarity

Weirdest ring comment so far...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I post on a major forum that is made up of 95% males. It''s widely known that I''m quite a bit more educated about diamonds than most of the general membership, so it''s almost expected that I show up to any jewelry thread to help people out.

Everytime diamonds are mentioned, there are hundreds of comments likened to "he must not love me if 6,000 Africans didn''t die for it."
20.gif
20.gif

I get so tired of educating and re-educating, but it just never sticks. People will always make comments about something if it can be viewed as somewhat controversial, regardless if the only bit of knowledge they have on the subject stems solely from a movie that was set almost a decade ago.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 3:53:00 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 7/4/2007 10:43:42 AM
Author: Lynn B
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Some people just AMAZE me!!!

I have had quite a few people ask me if my diamond is 'real'. I have never really formulated a truly snappy comeback
2.gif
so I just say 'yes' while trying not to look at them totally incredulously and like they've just grown a second head!

I have also had people ask me 'Why is it so SPARKLY?' like that's a BAD thing
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
but I guess that's just because MOST diamonds 'out there' don't look like that! Maybe they are trying to be really *SUBTLE* and see if it's a CZ???! Haha?!!
'No, it's a figment of my imagination.' Deadpan. Honestly, if you don't act like you're joking or being sarcastic, you'll get some great responses.
LOL! That's a good one! Ooooh, maybe I could also excitedly add (with a little *twitch* or something
2.gif
), "OH! You can see it, too???!"
9.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
As a sci fi reader I love the" its a figment of my imagination" reply! When I was talking to people about searching for a diamond I had a lot of comments of whether I was looking at conflict free diamonds. My diamond isn''t so big as to get the "Is it real?" comments, but I would love to be able to use those comebacks! And BTW I know a lady who is not so thrilled with her new DIL and told me that they did buy a fake diamond because having a big one was so important to her. I find that really odd, I would so much rather have a smaller but real diamond unless I needed something "safer" incase I was mugged.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 9:59:58 PM
Author:thing2of2
So I went to pick up my sandwich on my lunch break today and a new girl was working at the counter. She asked if she could see my ring, was it an engagement ring, said it was pretty, and then she asked: ''Is it conflict-free?''

I can''t say I''ve ever been asked that one before! Hahaha...I told her it was, that the place I got it from (WF) made sure, etc. Then I told my coworker when I got back to my office and we were like: what a weirdly somewhat personal thing to ask someone!

We decided I should have said ''Nope, I ordered it extra bloody!''
11.gif
Joking, of course!

But what a weird thing to ask! I guess now that the Blood Diamond movie came out everyone thinks all diamonds are bloody conflict diamonds!
I had the same question too.

I had someone ask me if my diamond was 3/4 carat. It is a 1.5 carat so I just ignored them.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 11:14:17 PM
Author: Skippy123
I had someone ask me if my diamond was 3/4 carat. It is a 1.5 carat so I just ignored them.
Someone at Graff sorely "misunderestimated" my diamond too.
29.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember who wrote about the woman with the Lee press on nails (or fake nails anyway) tapping on the ring asking if the diamond''s real. Um hello??? Kind of ironic I think.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, this is like the women who touch strange pregnant women's bellies. Some people just don't understand what's private and what's not.

I don't really know enough about conflict diamonds to comment on the morality issue, so I won't. I think I would have just said something non sequitur like, "On most days" and winked. Or maybe I would have said what I said to the 7th grade student who tried to preach to me when I taught that grade . . . "What do you mean?" Often asking someone to explain the complex issue that they don't understand but are parroting from another source stops them in their tracks. Or at least it puts the onus of proving themselves on them.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
When I had my pear I had someone go on and on about it, how LUCKY I was, how spoiled, etc. They made way too much of it, and it was just plain oogy.

Since I "sized down" no one has made that much fuss over it, but I have had the random, "Wow that''s sparkly." One person said, "You got a GOOD one!" I think that''s my favorite complement because I remember long before PS when I would see a really sparkly, especially lovely diamond and wonder how they got such a good one because I never saw anything that nice when we were shopping 20 years ago. I remember thinking to myself, "Boy, she got a GOOD one!" so it was really nice to have someone say the same thing to me.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thing2of2 that post was hysterical!

I have heard that comment before, but usually from the ill-informed groups of people who are well-intentioned but usually political and involved in foreign charities. My friend''s wife who worked for Unicef made a comment once like that. It was nice to know they cared, but a bit annoying when they an so engrossed in their own reality...

As for the "fake" diamond comment. People are so uncouth to ask such a question...or jealous!
38.gif

A friend with a sizeable stone (5.5ct+ center stone) was asked at a food store on LI by an incredulous older woman, "is that real?" in her slanty-eyed suspicious tone, my friend''s most perfect reply was, "Yes, but these aren''t." as she motioned to her chest. She''s a bit of a drama queen, so to the lady''s shock and indignation, she leaned in and said, " How do you think I got a real one of these!" and flashed the sizeable rock. That stopped the woman in her tracks! To my friend''s defense she gets lots of attention. She''s 6''2" and platinum blonde with killer good looks, so she gets nasty stares way too often... And I was right next to her enjoying the woman''s response to such an unorthodox answer!
11.gif
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 1:10:30 AM
Author: Nicrez

I have heard that comment before, but usually from the ill-informed groups of people who are well-intentioned but usually political and involved in foreign charities. My friend''s wife who worked for Unicef made a comment once like that. It was nice to know they cared, but a bit annoying when they an so engrossed in their own reality...

As for the ''fake'' diamond comment. People are so uncouth to ask such a question...or jealous!
38.gif

A friend with a sizeable stone (5.5ct+ center stone) was asked at a food store on LI by an incredulous older woman, ''is that real?'' in her slanty-eyed suspicious tone, my friend''s most perfect reply was, ''Yes, but these aren''t.'' as she motioned to her chest. She''s a bit of a drama queen, so to the lady''s shock and indignation, she leaned in and said, '' How do you think I got a real one of these!'' and flashed the sizeable rock. That stopped the woman in her tracks! To my friend''s defense she gets lots of attention. She''s 6''2'' and platinum blonde with killer good looks, so she gets nasty stares way too often... And I was right next to her enjoying the woman''s response to such an unorthodox answer!
11.gif
31.gif

Hahaha...Nicrez, I would have LOVED to see the look on that woman''s face! Your friend sounds HILARIOUS! I will never understand why people think it''s okay to ask such rude questions!

A few people I know have also asked me if my ring is real. I can''t tell if they''re 100% joking or not! My ring is a 1.5 ct radiant in a halo, and it does look like a pretty good size on my hand, but it certainly doesn''t look huge!

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I wore my Tiffany e-ring and Tiffany diamond band on one of recent my business trips to Calgary, I dropped by the Tiffany counter there in Holt Renfrew (Canadian version of Nieman Marcus) and the sales guy there said this to me "Wow, I love your engagement ring, where did you get it from?"

I almost fainted. I wanted to say "Hello? Where is your manager? You should be fired! Everyone in the jewelry business should know or have seen the iconic classic Tiffany setting"

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had people stop and stare and ask me point blank if it is real, how much it cost and where did I get it. Whoa, I would not tell a total stranger the cost, it is not something I discuss at all. Then I get, after I say it is real, that they would never want to walk around with a ring that large. To which I say, nicely, Well, it is good that it is mine and not yours! This usually stops them dead in their tracks.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was working at my one-day-a-week jeweller job, and I asked a customer what she would like assistance with. She stated that she would like a quote on getting an e-ring made exactly like mine, but in REAL diamonds.

23.gif

My boss was standing next to me and almost died trying to contain her laughter at my look of obvious disbelief
20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2007 1:10:30 AM
Author: Nicrez

As for the ''fake'' diamond comment. People are so uncouth to ask such a question...or jealous!
38.gif

A friend with a sizeable stone (5.5ct+ center stone) was asked at a food store on LI by an incredulous older woman, ''is that real?'' in her slanty-eyed suspicious tone, my friend''s most perfect reply was, ''Yes, but these aren''t.'' as she motioned to her chest. She''s a bit of a drama queen, so to the lady''s shock and indignation, she leaned in and said, '' How do you think I got a real one of these!'' and flashed the sizeable rock. That stopped the woman in her tracks! To my friend''s defense she gets lots of attention. She''s 6''2'' and platinum blonde with killer good looks, so she gets nasty stares way too often... And I was right next to her enjoying the woman''s response to such an unorthodox answer!
11.gif
31.gif
Perfect.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results