color
clarity

We’re doomed

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vent warning.......
The story
About a week ago I got an email alerting me that the consumer had sent a message from our Google maps listing. It was something like “I saw a pair of earrings on your site that had sold for about $4000, and I’d like to get a pair like that… How can I do that?“
There was a respond button in the email, so I clicked it. It took me to a dead end.
So I got in touch with Google for business/Google Maps
They asked me to send screenshots showing the issue – so I did.
A few days later I got a call from an employee of Google informing you that I was not allowed to answer the message. This sounded pretty strange, so I asked why. I was informed that Google maps decided that we do not have a physical location – therefore we are not allowed to answer the message.
Wait… “Of course we have a physical location “ I told her. “ we do sell online, but we have an office the thousands of consumers have visited“
I was informed that if a company makes any online sales, they’re not entitled to have a Google Maps listing
It was at this point that I kind of lost it – SUPERVISOR!!
Sorry, we are working from home and Google doesn’t have any supervisors.
But you’re telling me that any companies selling online has no right to a Google Maps listing? How can I answer this lady?
I got so frustrated I hung up.
Then, about an hour later I started to wonder… What about my Google Maps listing?
Well, it’s gone. All the customer reviews. Our store hours. All the photos of jewelry… All gone. Now I’m at the mercy of this Google employee who takes 3 to 4 days even to answer any emails. She has told me that they need photos of all of our location and other “proofs“
We are so at the mercy of these oligarchic monolithic companies. Scary.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn. So sorry you have to deal with this.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s terrible. One person can make that decision?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys...it is terrible.
You’ve probably noticed that getting customer service reps on the phone from the bigger companies has become an exercise in frustration. You get all these phone menus… Press one if you don’t know how to pick your nose,
Press two if elephants are flying by in the sky.
Press 47 if you lost 36 pounds in the last five years without eating carbs ...
In case none of these answers your question, please go to our website or our forum where many members will give you helpful answers.
Of course when the bill is due, they are easily able to reach out and touch you

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
EU is starting to put big tech in its place.
To bad it will never happen here because of $$$ buying people.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh David... I feel for you!

I just (two weeks ago) launched an Etsy store to sell Depression glass and other vintage glass pieces. On the advice of my accountant I filed for a DBA with the state though a corporate entity that I have had set up since 2008. My bank account, which has been set up just as long, is in the name of my corporate entity. All of this information was entered into Etsy's site as requested. Etsy however cannot "verify my business," even though I have provided copies of information supporting all of this, and therefore recommends I relaunch with my information as an individual person, despite that fact that that that would financially disadvantageous.

If anyone doubts that all of this Etsy-ing is occurring in a physical location however I will gladly provide a photo of the basement -- glasses, and divided storage boxes, and fake flowers as photo props -- oh my!

Of course I realize this is not the same thing as what you are going through (UGH!), and I'm just telling you my commiserrating story here to hopefully make you chuckle, but I really DO feel for you. Sometimes this administrative stuff is absolutely maddening! If you need a cocktail to get through (which is perfectly understandable) hit me up and I'll send you (gratis!) a lovely glass to have it in! :cheeky:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a gracious Mojito offer!!!
Thank you Dee Jay
Etsy????
I wouldn’t waste a whole lot of time there… We were thrown off of Etsy. Why? Honestly I still can’t figure it out. Something about the fact I don’t sit behind the bench setting the stones myself. I guess all the other loose stone sellers actually dig them up themselves. They still let people steal our pictures all the time, but they won’t let us list there.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
I have to go find your etsy store....

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys...it is terrible.
You’ve probably noticed that getting customer service reps on the phone from the bigger companies has become an exercise in frustration. You get all these phone menus… Press one if you don’t know how to pick your nose,
Press two if elephants are flying by in the sky.
Press 47 if you lost 36 pounds in the last five years without eating carbs ...
In case none of these answers your question, please go to our website or our forum where many members will give you helpful answers.
Of course when the bill is due, they are easily able to reach out and touch you

David,
This is the same process used by health ins. companies to keep you from using your benefits. That you paid for. As a doctor's representative I spend hours on hold and online trying to authorize an MD order, just to get shot down by an LPN who has never seen the patient.
Is no one accountable anymore?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, @Rockdiamond you're not kidding. Just tried googling and zero results on Maps. Also, what nonsense for the rep to claim you can't make online sales and still have a google maps listing. I hope you're able to get through to a supervisor and have everything restored quickly.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gracious Mojito offer!!!
Thank you Dee Jay
Etsy????
I wouldn’t waste a whole lot of time there… We were thrown off of Etsy. Why? Honestly I still can’t figure it out. Something about the fact I don’t sit behind the bench setting the stones myself. I guess all the other loose stone sellers actually dig them up themselves. They still let people steal our pictures all the time, but they won’t let us list there.

Oh that sucks! I guess because what I'm selling is vintage (more than 20 years old using their criteria) it's OK that I didn't actually blow and etch the glasses myself, LOL.

BTW, I had a super exciting (well, for ME, since I'm just selling glass) sale the other night and I just got a message from etsy that my $380 sale is being charged, on top of all the other fees I pay, ANOTHER 15% because the person clicked on an outside link so this for an outside advertising service that I was automatically enrolled in. WTF. So basically I'm paying 23% in fees AND I offered free shipping. I mean, I'm grateful to have such a nice sale right off the bat, but I wasn't aware of the automatic advertising thing. Ugh.

Anyway, enough about me -- this is for you David!

1613867756942.png

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Dee*Jay, I love depression glass :love: would you be comfortable sharing your Etsy store name here?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Dee*Jay, I love depression glass :love: would you be comfortable sharing your Etsy store name here?

I am... but if it's against the rules for any reason, mods, please delete this!

NobleEstates

*** ETA: I have no idea where this language came from -- etsy must have done that. Perhaps it's just a general blub or what's available on the etsy marketplace? I am definitely NOT selling clothes or jewelry! ***

Anyway, to be fair to David -- this is his thread after all and I've rudely taken it over! -- I'll revive a thread I posted a few weeks ago when I was thinking about opening my shop. I actually lost site of that thread and never went back to it, so I've got some people to thank for their advice! I also have a question for people about photos, so if you, and MjK1, and whoever else (!) happen to wander over to that thread I'd appreciate any feedback you might want to give!

@MjK1 :wavey:

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, this makes me furious. I am so tired of entities decided these things on their own with no push back! I am so sorry @Rockdiamond.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Anyway, to be fair to David........

Don’t be silly!!! I’d love it if some good comes from this.....
I wish you all the success with Etsy Dee Jay!!
I’d advise against making any significant investment in terms of advertising or setting up your store though.
For us, there were thousands invested in time creating the listings and managing them. Gone.
We actually hired a lawyer to try to get some sort of reasonable resolution with them. More money down the drain.

But I honestly hope I’m wrong when it comes to your store!

In general- this is just more of the same. Massive companies walking on our heads like we are nothing. .....

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry, @Rockdiamond - that's truly awful. And ridiculous. It CAN'T be true that no one who does online sales can be on Google Maps because there is almost no one IN retail that doesn't do some level of online sales these days!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It CAN'T be true that no one who does online sales can be on Google Maps because there is almost no one IN retail that doesn't do some level of online sales these days!

Right???! It was at that point in the phone call that I really lost it. Costco, Macy’s, I mean what store doesn’t have an online presence today????

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like Google Maps is still living in the previous century. Sorry this happened @Rockdiamond. I hope it gets resolved for you very soon! It sounds absolutely ridiculous, especially when businesses are paying good money to companies like Google.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how I feel about much of what is going on in the world.

screwed.gif

But, I remain hopeful we will get through all of it.

And @Rockdiamond, I am sorry you are going through this. I think you will be able to turn this around. It is ludicrous that you have to deal with this but I am confident it can and will get straightened out. In the meantime who needs this extra stress? Sending you good wishes on a successful resolution.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lord knows I am no Republican, but I do think they have a point about the excessive and largely unsupervised power that we have turned over to big tech. It's time to get some of it back.

@Rockdiamond I hope you can turn this around. How frustrating!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can I just say....thank you all so much!!! Your caring responses have made me feel better.....
I came in today specifically to take pictures...
I hope this will do it

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through @Rockdiamond
I hope you're able to get all the reviews etc back.

Thank you for letting me take a tour around NY diamond district and to DBL. I've never been to NY so thank you

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Us Pricescopers will gladly get together and stand behind you @Rockdiamond !!! This is just nuts! They don’t want to mess with all of us! Prayers it gets solved soon

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond my stepson works for Google and I shared your problem with him. He said there are no cases listed under your business and he thinks maybe you could be a victim of fraud from someone who is not a Google employee. He has opened a case and will have someone from Google maps reach out to you. I hope you get this resolved quickly and I hope you don't mind me butting in without asking your permission first. I got a little ahead of myself and I apologize for that.

Edited to add that I sent an email to your business email with case number and instructions for contacting the maps team if you don't hear from someone early this coming week.

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond my stepson works for Google and I shared your problem with him. He said there are no cases listed under your business and he thinks maybe you could be a victim of fraud from someone who is not a Google employee. He has opened a case and will have someone from Google maps reach out to you. I hope you get this resolved quickly and I hope you don't mind me butting in without asking your permission first. I got a little ahead of myself and I apologize for that.

Edited to add that I sent an email to your business email with case number and instructions for contacting the maps team if you don't hear from someone early this coming week.

Thank you so very much, any help in this is deeply appreciated!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People! Do NOT click on annnnny link sent to you in an email! Ever!!!

I feel like we’ve been over this and over this: phishing scams are and have been so common now for so many years... I find it hard to have sympathy for any person, business owner or not, who opens an email and clicks on a link from a stranger, periodt. But people on this website are prime targets: average demographic makes them so.

I’m sorry this happened to you, D. But it isn’t Googles fault and it’s no one else’s fault you got scammed besides the scammer to whom you fell victim.
As for Google: it is incredibly easy to engage with their customer service and I speak from years of experience dealing with them on clients’ behalves. But if they didn’t start the fire, someone posing as them did, you’re kinda screwed. @Matata I have no idea what your person would be able to do as this doesn’t seem to have stemmed from Google themselves. It isn’t googles fault that people pose as them and get scammed.

We really should have more discussion here in hangout about online safety and best practices as the population here ages. Are some/most savvy? Sure, but I think there’s a point of saturation where folks have a false sense of security and believe they know enough that they’ll never fall pretty to super common scams.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@monarch64 -- Stepson isn't sure Dave was scammed, just thought it a possible scenario. Dave will know for sure what happened once he talks to someone on the maps team.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for your Google listing everything is there. What’s the problem?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AC0C19E5-D189-4DD6-93AC-EC763A75D2B7.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results