shape
carat
color
clarity

VS Blue Fluorescence effect, why pinkish in the sun?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If I only knew, I would have held this one for you :D. I sold it years ago. We MUST get you an over blue.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few things come into play
Most overblue stones are not desirable due to the haziness. In general, it's pervasive, not only in sunlight.
So the majority of SB or VSB stones are dull.
Very few of these FL stones have nice life in normal lighting and you really can't tell from pics/video.
The second factor is the changes in the business itself.
There are less dealers and brokers on the street. So we see far fewer diamonds in person.
Based on the massive changes in the market....I don't see this changing back to where it was.
Used to be hundreds of guys ( and gals) walking around 47th street knocking on doors with cool and unusual stones.
It's turned into Oligarchy ......big boys rule...small guys drool.......
DBL is super lucky. I started selling online 25 years ago.
Otherwise...we'd probably be dead by now.......

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
A few things come into play
Most overblue stones are not desirable due to the haziness. In general, it's pervasive, not only in sunlight.
So the majority of SB or VSB stones are dull.
Very few of these FL stones have nice life in normal lighting and you really can't tell from pics/video.
The second factor is the changes in the business itself.
There are less dealers and brokers on the street. So we see far fewer diamonds in person.
Based on the massive changes in the market....I don't see this changing back to where it was.
Used to be hundreds of guys ( and gals) walking around 47th street knocking on doors with cool and unusual stones.
It's turned into Oligarchy ......big boys rule...small guys drool.......
DBL is super lucky. I started selling online 25 years ago.
Otherwise...we'd probably be dead by now.......

I would imagine this past few years have been nerve wracking to say the least. Sad that you do not see many odd ball diamonds There is a market for the unique. Especially as everything has become homogenous. You're doing well though, so many interesting stones on your website.

I wonder what is done with the odd ball diamonds.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would imagine this past few years have been nerve wracking to say the least. Sad that you do not see many odd ball diamonds There is a market for the unique. Especially as everything has become homogenous. You're doing well though, so many interesting stones on your website.

I wonder what is done with the odd ball diamonds.

I also wonder what's done with them! DEAR DEALERS OF ODDITIES: SEND THEM TO MEEEEE!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Gahhhh all I want is an overblue that will go hazy in the sunnnnn!!!! Why are they so hard to find?!?!?!?!?!
@Rockdiamond why are they so scarce?

I happened to notice a very strong blue fluorescence on Brilliance the other day. Interestingly, when I filtered for “strong” fluorescence, the very strong blue diamond disappeared from the search results. So you might just have to click through them all, or ask someone from the trade for help. That last option is never as fun as scrolling on one’s own, though.

@MMtwo There are diamonds that change color. Everyone knows about chameleons but apparently pink and brown can change color depending on exposure to certain light. https://www.researchgate.net/profil...dubG9hZCIsInByZXZpb3VzUGFnZSI6Il9kaXJlY3QifX0

Have you looked at it under additional lighting conditions, such as full spectrum lightbulbs, headlights, gas station overhead lights, etc.?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s pink (ish) and stunning. I don’t believe it’s reflection. I’m not an expert though. Maybe it’s the phosphorescence PLUS the flourescence?

Have you posted the story of how you set about finding this diamond stone and how you discovered all of its color changing properties? That pink glow is AMAZING, was this just serendipity?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MMtwo There are diamonds that change color. Everyone knows about chameleons but apparently pink and brown can change color depending on exposure to certain light. https://www.researchgate.net/profil...dubG9hZCIsInByZXZpb3VzUGFnZSI6Il9kaXJlY3QifX0

Have you looked at it under additional lighting conditions, such as full spectrum lightbulbs, headlights, gas station overhead lights, etc.?

I have not, but this weekend when I am off I will look around and see if there is any other notable changes. To date, I have not seen any changes outside of UV.

It’s pink (ish) and stunning. I don’t believe it’s reflection. I’m not an expert though. Maybe it’s the phosphorescence PLUS the flourescence?

Have you posted the story of how you set about finding this diamond stone and how you discovered all of its color changing properties? That pink glow is AMAZING, was this just serendipity?

Lightbright, this was complete serendipity. I was just messing around on Ritani's site. I fell in love with this stone when I found it, but no reason other than I liked it.
I even posted a thread because I did not understand the draw to this stone.

When the stone arrived, I checked the UV and noticed the strong blue reaction. The first time I took pictures outside I noticed the weird pink effect. At grocery pick up I waited in the car and noticed the same pink glow. Later I posted in the IGS forum and here trying to figure it out. Reading @Rockdiamond 's explanation about how some stones look almost pink/violet under UV , I am feeling much better about it. So no real story other than liking this diamond in the 360. I always check stones for phosphorescence because it's fun and it seems to be a common trait.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
:D For Science!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of science, made a video trying to capture the purple effect. Forgive my narration skills :D

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well whatever is going on with the stone, it is amazing and so unique and I love it so so much. I hope you enjoy all of it's flavours!

Mooshi, I missed saying hello and thank you! :) I love sharing it.

Posted my story, and wanted to say thanks :)

I've been really enjoying this thread. :)

Thank you so much Lisa. You wrote the nicest supportive post in the last stone thread and I appreciate you so much. <3 thanks for coming along.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results