shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

biggemlover

Rough_Rock
My new green tourmaline from Gene Flanigan at Precision. His photo is on the left, my two are the middle and right. Excuse my terrible photography! I think the stone looks a good bit lighter in person than it does in any of the pics, and less sparkly than in Gene''s photo, but it is very beautiful. Changes a lot in different lighting, as you can see. The middle pic was taken under incandescent light and the one on the right is in overcast daylight.

Stone pics small file.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I am a long time lurker, but this is my first time posting
emembarrassed.gif
, so I hope I do it correctly. I love colored gemstones and started buying loose stones a couple of years ago. I've made my share of mistakes, but I'm learning. As an introduction, I thought I'd post one of my first purchases and still one of my favorites. It is an 8mm (2.63ct) cushion ginger colored sapphire (gentle heat only) that I purchased from Thanex on ebay. The photo on the left is his vendor photo. I didn't get any pictures of the stone before I had it set. I really like the color.

ginger123.jpg

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
In person this amethyst can look like Barry''s photo but I didn''t have any luck capturing that in my photos.

bbamethyst.JPG

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Just recieved this in the mail today. First tourmaline purchase :D I got it on E-bay for cheap and to my surprise the back of the box it was shipped in said this:

Pink Tourmaline Mozambique 2.72CTS VVS 8.69x7.29x6.05mm Oval Unheated Gemshoppe 032317

For some reason that name was very familiar...
9.gif

I think I bought a stone from a fellow PS''er

The pics from ebay are on top, and mine are below, the best color rep is in the middle, although it''s more pink than the lilac it shows up, for the life of me I couldn''t get the blue out of it on my computer.

babypinktourmalinepathrick.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is from odysseygem (Tan''s store) The vendor pic dosen''t really show its true beauty as you can see.

arc1shadsofpinktourm.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a 3.05ct green tourmaline from Barry, 9.2mm. I worried that the stone would be too dark, but even in dim lighting, the lighter green flashes from within the stone are very appealing.

The vendor photo is in the top left corner.

BB 3-1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan Stair tourmaline:

136OyoSqr.jpg

My photos:
IMG0353.jpg

IMG0343.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...this is my first time to post anything in here, and I must say, you guys are a bunch of freaks.
2.gif
As in freaky good photographers! I''m feeling waaaay inadequate.
40.gif
But here goes....

There are assorted diamonds, a 15pt kornerupine, a 19pt grossular garnet, a 3 carat Peter Torraca shield cut rhodolite garnet, a 2 carat semi-black opal, a 3 carat zircon by Bill Vance, a 6.35 carat checkerboard cushion amethyst, and an 8 carat citrine.

And the picture genuinely blows....oh well...

Two_stones1.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a better pic of the garnet and opal...

Two_stones.jpg

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
so happy with my (early) 1st year anniversary present from DH. Eric from Swala''s pic is bang on and although the stone is purply in low light, it refuses to be photographed as anything but a gorgeous royal blue
emteeth.gif

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
don''t know why those came out a bit blurry...here''s a crisper one

DSC01472blue.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finewatergems Mali Garnet

mtgmaligf.JPG

mgmali15.jpg

mgmali13.jpg

agatha.nl

Shiny_Rock
@ brown.eyed.girl: whre did you get that setting from? it lovely
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2010 2:03:36 PM
Author: agatha.nl
@ brown.eyed.girl: whre did you get that setting from? it lovely
30.gif

Hmm... which setting are you talking about? I think I posted pictures of several. And thank you!

Y

ydiamonds

8.7mm cushion lime green tourmaline from Barry:

ACS pic.jpg

100_0286.JPG

100_0292.JPG

pendant 015.jpg

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
This is a montage of photos from Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems and my photos. Mine are labeled "ME" and Doug's are labeled "D".

montage2.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Lavender Spinel from Barry

Barry's description: SP-6643 Spinel(J) 1.19 cts., 6.2mm round brilliant[Gec]. This spinel is from Tanzania and has a medium/light lavender color. It is quite bright even though it has a peculiar adularescence. BB

Barry's picture:

My pictures:

This stone definitely has a glow in strong light but is clear and flashy in indirect light. The color shifts from pale pink to a greyish lavender. The facet pattern is of course lovely being a BB stone.

sp-6643g_1473_general.jpg

barrylavspinel4313.jpg

barrylavspinel4312.jpg

barrylavspinel4314.jpg

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this is a favorite pendent of mine-natural alexandrite-upper stone & lower stone from thomas dalberg-the center alex catseyes from india-under daylight....

036.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
these stones were sold as podparascha sapphires-some r from ceylon & some r african-all show very well in good light-most of the stones have been heated only as is standard industry....

005.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
these stones r demantoid garnets-all russian w/horsetail inclusions in each-in good light most of the stones just pop with good color & flash-another favorite....

017.JPG

jleb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here are some quick tips on how to photograph your stone..they are really ghetto so inexpensive.

Take a coffee cup, styrofoam or plastic. Cut a 2 x 2" square out of the top side. (or whatever fits your camera). Put the cup over the stone, make sure you have whatever surface you want on the bottom.. grey board, white board, black w/ plastic top etc. Put two high intensity lamps on either side.. presto! custom light box. Best to use a small tripod or octopus grip pod to hold camera, use time release.

If you can color balance your camera, do that with a white board or typing paper. Check your camera's instructions.

If possible, turn off color enhancements/processing. I didn't on a ruby and got a nice red halo on everything around it.. If you see that, that's what it is.

Post processing should be limited to color filters to balance light color if you need to, and brightness/contrast adjustment.

Hope that helps for you all..

briolette

Shiny_Rock
What a very useful thread!
Here's the Gemfix.com vendor picture of my demantoid garnet.
demantoid-cushion-russia3.jpg

My photo with flash:
IMG_3105.jpg

Diffuse window lighting:
demantoid_diffuse.jpg

Set in a ring. My own photo, taken outdoors:

IMG_5765.jpg

The color is pretty accurate compared to the vendor picture with indoor lighting and perhaps a tiny bit more yellow when taken outdoors.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Violet star sapphire from The Gem Trader. I think his photos show a touch more blue, but it's very very close. I actually can't photograph this stone very well at all, my photos make the stone look much paler than it is. It's more saturated, but with direct light the silk seems to mess with the camera.

file.gif
file.jpg
file.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
1.35 Hessonite garnet from Uli at osirisgems

ulihessonite.jpg

100_5769ps.png

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
.96 Tanzanian Spinel from Tan at odysseygem

tanspinel.jpg

100_5777ps.png

100_5781ps.png

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I find this thread very useful... Here are a few additions:

3.72 ct Nigerian amethyst from Dan
1.55 ct Tanzanian pink spinel from Tan
2.32 ct Sri Lankan blue spinel from Dana

amethyst and spinels.JPG

amethyst and spinels_vendor photo.JPG

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I see your spinel from Tan is way pinker too. How was yours described? Mine was orangy red.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results