shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on LOGR upgrade! Same ring, new pics - help me make a final decision!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Oh No!
38.gif
38.gif

Can you get them to refund your money for setting it? was this a new guy? its scary that someone would let that go--- as if you wouldn''t notice?!
when it''s fixed--It''s still going to look great in that setting though.
36.gif
the setting highlights the stone nicely.
21.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL and TravelingGal - I''m sitting here with a vodka and cranberry, so I feel a little better.
11.gif

The usual benchman is the jeweler''s brother, and he is out of the country until August. I stupidly thought that the jeweler/owner could do a fine job since he designs a lot of rings. I saw all the flaws immediately when I picked it up, and he said the stone is tilted because he started to set it low (like i wanted), but when he went to notch the prongs on the other side, he thought it would be too much pressure on the garnet, and decided he didn''t want to risk jamming it in. This is after telling me earlier that my stone was too small for the setting - and now all of a sudden, it has to be set high??
33.gif
I don''t know what the heck happened with the squashed prong. I''m afraid to have him fix it, so I''ll just take it to Quest and eat out a little less for the rest of the month. The only good thing is that he didn''t crack the stone. Clearly, designing waxes is not the same as doing the bench stuff day after day. Lesson learned, but ouch!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:21:56 AM
Author: blinkydoll
Oh No!
38.gif
38.gif

Can you get them to refund your money for setting it? was this a new guy? its scary that someone would let that go--- as if you wouldn''t notice?!
36.gif
21.gif
Hi blinky - were you at the gym again tonight?

Thanks for your sympathies, it''s nice to know people understand. I''m not going to ask for a refund - it was only $30, and he has been generous to me in the past, so I''m just going to grit my teeth and let this one go. But yeah, I''ll be taking things to his brother from now on. You''re right, when it''s fixed, it will look nice, and I''m glad I kept it.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:34:48 AM
Author: cellentani
Date: 7/10/2009 12:21:56 AM

Oh No!
38.gif
38.gif

36.gif

21.gif

Hi blinky - were you at the gym again tonight?

Thanks for your sympathies, it''s nice to know people understand. I''m not going to ask for a refund - it was only $30, and he has been generous to me in the past, so I''m just going to grit my teeth and let this one go. But yeah, I''ll be taking things to his brother from now on. You''re right, when it''s fixed, it will look nice, and I''m glad I kept it.

Yup-- your right-- I just got back from the gym
25.gif
2.gif

well I know hope you will post lots of pics after it''s fixed
9.gif

hey--- I''ve been out of the loop this week--- did you end up finding a setting for your new pink oval tourmailine?
35.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh man! Your normal jeweler won''t fix it for free?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 1:01:46 AM

Yup-- your right-- I just got back from the gym
25.gif
2.gif

well I know hope you will post lots of pics after it''s fixed
9.gif

hey--- I''ve been out of the loop this week--- did you end up finding a setting for your new pink oval tourmailine?
35.gif
Well, my offer was accepted on a LOGR setting - really thin band, no halo, single cuts on the band. But when I asked for modifications to fit my stone, the price was one and a half times my offer!! I don''t know why it was so much more - no extra diamonds were needed, and it was going from a 7x9mm to 8x10mm, not a huge modification.
33.gif
I''m wondering if he''s just trying to recoup some $$$. So I guess I''m still looking.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 1:58:27 AM
Author: szh07
Oh man! Your normal jeweler won''t fix it for free?
If the normal benchman were in town, I''d have him fix it, but I think the jeweler/designer/owner has some limitations. I could wait until August for the benchman to get back, but since he''s the jeweler''s brother, there might be some weirdness.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 12:29:37 AM
I saw all the flaws immediately when I picked it up, and he said the stone is tilted because he started to set it low (like i wanted), but when he went to notch the prongs on the other side, he thought it would be too much pressure on the garnet, and decided he didn''t want to risk jamming it in.
So he decided to set it CROOKED?!?!?!
23.gif
29.gif
That wins as the dumbest-excuse-ever in my book.

Like you said though, at least he didn''t scratch/chip the stone and it''s something that can be fixed. I just had my garnet scratched while being set so I''m just glad your stone is safe. Hopefully you''ll be able to fix it and wear it soon!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 12:48:11 PM
Author: Babyblue033

Date: 7/10/2009 12:29:37 AM
I saw all the flaws immediately when I picked it up, and he said the stone is tilted because he started to set it low (like i wanted), but when he went to notch the prongs on the other side, he thought it would be too much pressure on the garnet, and decided he didn''t want to risk jamming it in.
So he decided to set it CROOKED?!?!?!
23.gif
29.gif
That wins as the dumbest-excuse-ever in my book.

Like you said though, at least he didn''t scratch/chip the stone and it''s something that can be fixed. I just had my garnet scratched while being set so I''m just glad your stone is safe. Hopefully you''ll be able to fix it and wear it soon!
Yup, pretty stupid.
20.gif
I''ve got Quest on speed dial, but I''m almost afraid to know what it will cost.

Which garnet was scratched - not your umbalite?! And why haven''t I seen it yet (stamps foot)!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep my umbalite. I finally got around to setting them into simple martini studs and one of them came back scratched
38.gif
I''ve come to terms with it since it''s a small stone and an earring so I''ll never see it but it''s pretty upsetting to get your finished product and something''s wrong with it. I think I''ll re-set it eventually though, it kind of ruined it for me
14.gif

I''ll try to get some pictures this weekend I promise! They keep looking icky brown in photos and I cant seem to catch their true beauty.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing with this ring, hopefully it won''t be too costly to fix it and you won''t have to wait too long to enjoy it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2009 11:37:12 PM
And tilted in the setting.
23.gif
oh goodness.. Your stone looks beautiful in that setting, but why in the world did they let it out the door like that? did they think you wouldn''t notice?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m so sorry, Babyblue - I''m sure you were so looking forward to them, and what a letdown to find that they''re scratched. I know exactly what you mean about having that ruin them for you - it would be the first thing I thought of every time I wore them. Maybe Gene will come back from Africa with some fantastic new rough!!
31.gif

Hi D&T - I know, I don''t know what he was thinking. I''ve had many things done there, so they should know I really check everything and am very picky. I actually think he had some trouble with the decagon shape. He tried to rationalize it by saying that no one ever looks at the ring from the profile, and no one can tell from the top view. I actually look at my ring from the profile angle all the time, and that hardly excused sloppy work.
40.gif
On the bright side, I think it can be fixed; I just hate to spend more money, especially given that I was unsure about the high price of the setting in the first place.

Sigh, everyone''s probably already sick of seeing this ring already, and it''s not even finished.
41.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I saw all the flaws right way; the crooked setting and the mashed up prong! I know you probably don''t trust him to fix it but I''d make my views know about how dissatisfied you are. With a tilted stone, I''d think there''s more of a chance of the stone getting loose. I''m so sorry about this.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 8:11:17 PM
Author: Chrono
Gosh, I saw all the flaws right way; the crooked setting and the mashed up prong! I know you probably don''t trust him to fix it but I''d make my views know about how dissatisfied you are. With a tilted stone, I''d think there''s more of a chance of the stone getting loose. I''m so sorry about this.
Awww thanks Chrono - I knew nothing would escape the sharp eyes of you PSers. I think the jeweler knew I wasn''t too happy - he was looking kinda sheepish by the time we left. I''ll take your comment about the tilted stone to heart and not wear the ring until I get it fixed. The last thing this saga needs is a lost stone!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think I just broke up with my jeweler.

I dropped my garnet ring off at Quest this morning, and yup, they''re gonna have to build new prongs. He also said that setting the stone will be a little tricky because the opening in the LOGR setting is not completely round - it''s a little wonky.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 12:05:08 PM

Had to laugh at that . . . but the setting, the setting made me want to cry. (I was out of town this weekend so only just saw it now.) Goodness, if the designer doesn''t have experience at competently setting stones, I wonder why in the world he even bothered. And yeah . . . I''m glad he seemed sheepish but I''m surprised he still charged! That''s just an embarrassment to his store. Le sigh. Here''s some good wishes towards the Quest work!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s tough to find a place with a good bench person. I''m glad Quest will be able to handle it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I was a little embarassed to take an LOGR setting to Quest, because I know their standards are very high. However, they were very professional and diplomatic, even in the way they mentioned that this kind of shoddy workmanship would never leave their store! Good benchwork is pricey though - I got a preliminary quote of $170 for new prongs and to set the stone.
23.gif

In case anyone''s interested, I asked if they did stuller or adwar semi-mounts, and they only use stuller for findings and such, not semi-mounts. They weren''t too keen on adwar, since some of their stuff is cast in India, and they didn''t seem very confident about the quality control over there.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing that info about Quest. I do love love the shape and color of your garnet and I think it will look lovely once it is properly set in that setting.

Very nice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like Quest has very high standards, which I can understand because they are custom setters and need to maintain their reputation of impeccable work.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 12:15:34 PM
Author: fierypyropixy

Had to laugh at that . . . but the setting, the setting made me want to cry. (I was out of town this weekend so only just saw it now.) Goodness, if the designer doesn''t have experience at competently setting stones, I wonder why in the world he even bothered. And yeah . . . I''m glad he seemed sheepish but I''m surprised he still charged! That''s just an embarrassment to his store. Le sigh. Here''s some good wishes towards the Quest work!
Thanks fiery - I''ll be glad when this money-pit ring is done!! Any updates on a setting for your amethyst? Did you ever get the other ring (peridot?)?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 7:44:51 PM
Date: 7/13/2009 12:15:34 PM

Thanks fiery - I''ll be glad when this money-pit ring is done!! Any updates on a setting for your amethyst? Did you ever get the other ring (peridot?)?

Aw, thanks for asking! No amethyst setting yet -- I''ve been waiting on word from the jeweler about the peridot (hey, good memory!). Husband decrees I have to prioritize and that means ONE ring at a time! Le sigh.
28.gif
Sooooooo, just waiting to see if the jeweler brings back another peridot ring from his trade show/dinner with the designer, and if not, then the amethyst setting is full steam ahead. I have two other "projects" I''ve been mulling over, and needing to post threads about, but I''ve felt a little overwhelmed lately. Ok, hijack over!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:18:35 PM

Aw, thanks for asking! No amethyst setting yet -- I''ve been waiting on word from the jeweler about the peridot (hey, good memory!). Husband decrees I have to prioritize and that means ONE ring at a time! Le sigh.
28.gif
Sooooooo, just waiting to see if the jeweler brings back another peridot ring from his trade show/dinner with the designer, and if not, then the amethyst setting is full steam ahead. I have two other ''projects'' I''ve been mulling over, and needing to post threads about, but I''ve felt a little overwhelmed lately. Ok, hijack over!
No hijack here, besides, I asked! I love hearing about other people''s projects. I always have several projects swirling around in my head, so I know exactly what you mean. Hope you get that peridot ring you wanted!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:28:46 PM
Date: 7/13/2009 8:18:35 PM

28.gif
Sooooooo, just waiting to see if the jeweler brings back another peridot ring from his trade show/dinner with the designer, and if not, then the amethyst setting is full steam ahead. I have two other ''projects'' I''ve been mulling over, and needing to post threads about, but I''ve felt a little overwhelmed lately. Ok, hijack over!

No hijack here, besides, I asked! I love hearing about other people''s projects. I always have several projects swirling around in my head, so I know exactly what you mean. Hope you get that peridot ring you wanted!

Hehe, me too!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results