shape
carat
color
clarity

unpopular jewelry opinions

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have another one. While I don't mind wearing D-E as pendants and earrings, I don't prefer them for rings. As pendants and earrings, I can't see the blue tint in D-E so frequently since I'm seldom at the mirror. But the blue tint is harsh to my eyes when they're in rings. While I can't see blue in florescent diamonds, I see them in D-E diamonds.

Niel, the above is positive I hope. Just explaining I like D-E in pendants/earrings. Basically I like all diamond colors, but for different functions/as different jewelry type.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
I adore cluster rings with a color stone center,
my mom has worn a marquise for thirty years and I always notice them and pears and ovals and think they are both flattering and lovely on the hand.
I appreciate all diamond colors white, brown, yellow
Like color in a ering for contrast, like a three stone.
love warm gold against diamonds and colored stones.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also love diamonds under 1 ct
I'm a huge Tiffany & Co fan. :love:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another one: I'm a fan of mixing different metal colors even before the current trend.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like yellow gold! I wear white gold and silver and platinum too - and will probably wear it more once I return to my haircolor roots ;)) - but I still like the richness of yellow gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1417836508|3796232 said:
Niel,

Is this thread for diamonds only, or does it include CSs and pearls etc...?

DK :))

I've got no objection! I'd love to bear some CS ones!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. I got the jist of this thread wrong.

What unpopular jewelry opinions do I have!

1. Well, I prefer halos with plain shanks.
2. I like cushions set with pave split shanks and not a halo in sight.
3. I prefer MRBs only for non-ring pieces or melee.
4. I would rather have a fancy shaped stone with character and great light performance over a branded stone perfect light performance.
5. As a general rule I strongly prefer metal without engraving or milgrain on my pieces.
6. I like my MRB studs or pendants to be in the J-K color range and SI2 clarity range (but eyeclean at 6 inches).
7. I adore ovals.
8. For standalone bands, I prefer 7 stones to 5 stones. And I prefer them to have stones in the 20-30 point range only. No larger.
9. My ideal engagement ring is a three stone. No pave. No solitaire. No halo.
10. I love yellow gold with a brushed finish.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1417831804|3796191 said:
kenny|1417824205|3796124 said:
DF, I'll trade my 1.51 G VS2 Octavia for your 2.3 ct I VS2 Octavia any day. :whistle:

I guess that proves I'm a size queen too. :lol:
No, size whore!

:lol:

screen_shot_2014-12-05_at_8.png

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread.

My (possibly) unpopular jewelry opinion is that if it's well made, I love it all. It doesn't all look great on me but I really enjoy admiring it. I love fancies - ECs, cushions, marquises, hearts (a heart in a bezel is TDF!), pears - yum.

I also want a few perfect-for-me pieces instead of several smaller pieces. And I really like big stones. :)

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I love and adore metal - different colours, different treatments - brushed, shiny, different mouldings - how does Mark Morrell manage to turn metal to create an optical illusion with the shank that's not dissimilar to an Escher painting? His work has genius to it. The stones of course can be a lovely bonus to all this. Diamonds have their moments but sometimes they can just look meh. Time to clean and buy a beauty without clouds! My smallish VVS2 one just rocks. Heigh ho.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For CS, if the colour is right, I do not mind if the stone has a bit of a window.

DK :bigsmile:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in with Yssie' and others, I'm totally willing to spend more on a setting than a diamond. True story!

I love yg for men and women!

I like channel settings on my finger though pave seems much more popular.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too like channel set rings.. I'm not a fan of halos.. :) and I am not a fan of platinum.. thought I would be but I do not like the feel of it, and the patina... BUT I'd never turn down jewelry in platinum!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1417809696|3795926 said:
Oh I thought of one. I prefer yellow gold for men's rings.

+1
I also prefer yellow gold for men's rings... There's just something about a plain YG band on a man! ;))
Unfortunately, my DH wanted white metal and wouldn't even consider YG -- it's his ring, right?? :eh: :wall:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1417819026|3796051 said:
HopeDream|1417818646|3796048 said:
I prefer function over form, and tend to choose choose sturdy life-proof settings with little to no melee over artistic fragile, melee encrusted designs.

I like smaller stones.

I would sacrifice size for higher clarity and color (VS2 and above please!)

I love buying used pieces both for their uniqueness and the value they offer. This is especially true of signed pieces.

I like all diamond shapes :)

I like irradiated blue diamonds :bigsmile:

I like the clarity and color offered by synthetic gemstones, even if they aren't worth much.

Yeah,I like synthetic blue spinel. :shhh:

Yeah... me too. ;)) :love: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer white gold over platinum... even if I had X1 WG, I think I'd still want rhodium plating. :shifty: :bigsmile: Even if I had a GINORMOUS diamond, I'd still set it in WG. I guess I'd be okay with platinum if there is a lot of pave and the metal didn't show a lot. The patina bothers me.

I like brown diamonds that have a pinky-champagne look. I love grey colored stones (diamond, spinel, whatever...) :halo: I still love yellow gold, since it looks best with my skin tone... but my "serious" pieces (wedding set) will always be white metal.

Although I have a blingaliscious halo with all the fixins', my heart melts when I see a someone with a solitaire with plain shank and band. They're just so chic and classy! :love: :cheeky:

I can't think of many more -- I like almost all cuts/shapes for different reasons... almost all shapes. :silenced:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting - as you read through others' unpopular likes, you find yourself thinking "Oh yeah, I like that too!" I also like halos with plain shanks, and brushed yellow gold, and like msop above, the patina of platinum bothers me. I also like Tiffany and Cartier (not everything in the stores, but some things) and have discovered Blue Nile since winning a gift certificate from them (bought pearls with it).

What an interesting and revealing thread. And at least four people saying that they don't really wear their jewelry or only wear it when they are out. That makes me sad for the jewelry! ;(

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a thicker halo, the teeny tiny .005 pave halos to me look unimpressive in person, and I've seen the best.

I also don't need perfection in a MRB, excellent light performance and symmetry is nice, ideal is not necessary. I would rather put that money towards a bigger stone.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer a longer ratio emerald cut, looks vintage to me....

After I make a custom piece, I often find something else that I want and sell it to buy the next thing (oh wait that is like many of us on PS lol)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love yellow gold
I love heart shape diamonds
I wish I could afford a D If diamond
I would love something from Cartier
I only like ideal cut diamonds

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. I actually wear my rings like this when the mood strikes and I feel guilty of ignoring my lovelies.
image_2845.jpg
And...
ETA:
Oh and one more unpopular opinion. I just can't get myself to pay for an ideal cut, colorless, high clarity, big diamond when I know that compromising on some spec's will save me thousands of dollars...bc at the end of the day, yes, I need to know that my diamond has some kind of equity. I realize many don't view diamonds as an investment, but rather a luxury or piece of sentimental value, but not me. I have seen too many ideal cut diamonds languishing in the preloved section--and I don't understand how if they are so desirable, they can't seem to sell so that the seller can recoup a decent amount of money.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have quite a few jewelry preferences contrary to popular opinions on PS.

I like diamonds better in yellow gold than white metals, I think it makes the diamond stand out more.

I like heart shaped diamonds and gemstones.

I prefer solitaire or minimal diamond accent settings for an ering because I think it makes the center diamond should stand out more rather than be in a cluster of diamonds.

I like smaller carat weights

I like colorless diamonds

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I would rather a big glowing untreated Burmese ruby in a native cut over just about any perfectly cut ideal branded diamond I can think of.....yep. now it's out there.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer coloured stones to diamonds...diamonds only exist as accent stones in my jewellery box!

I love vintage and preloved jewellery

I love small stones.. Some of my favourite rings are v petite

I love bi-coloured or colour zoned stones

I like a bit of grey in my blue and green stones

I love simple settings, no halos for me!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1417811723|3795963 said:
Fun thread!

canuk-gal|1417809229|3795912 said:
HI:
I love branded jewellery--Tiffany, etc--therefore I encourage, rather than dissuade posters from buying the same.
cheers--Sharon
I've boarded the train, Sharon!

I detest the cheat sheet that occasionally comes up for air - IMO it shouldn't be used as anything other than instructions for your insurance adjuster. It was intended as a simplistic guide and was originally issued with a number of disclaimers... but both the specifications for use and cautionary advisories get lost in translation.

I love nice "crushed ice" cushions and radiants, and I thank David at DBL for introducing me to them. I've only seen a few that I'd consider "nice" in-person, though - they're rare, furtive creatures! Looking at one is like looking into a twinkling tub of glitter - no pattern, no slow chunky "on/off" scintillation, just non-stop edge-to-edge sparkle :love:

Yssie, I think that is about the best description of a good crushed ice stone as I've ever heard. I also have a love for them. I can get lost looking into them.

I have a new found love for marquise diamonds. My fingers are short and I love the elongating effect.

I forgot to add, almost anything Cartier......................sigh........................

I love Portuguese cuts on colored stones.

I look at jewelry as a small piece of art, therefore the setting is as important as the stone.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I still like trillions:) I set them on each side of my yellow diamond and realized only afterwards that some people think that they are a bit outdated.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe, catmom, I detest Portuguese cut stones and will not buy them... I like ovals with a keel even less, but keep buying those anyway. :confused:

I wish my E-ring diamond had an inclusion I could see. Obviously would have preferred not to pay for it to be VS2, but if I could I'd sneak a little white crystal in there (not directly under the table) and knock it down to an SI2, I would -- no money-back required. :) Especially if it was at a "cardinal direction" in the stone - 12 o'clock, say. If it was at 1:42 or 8:35, that would bother me. ;-)

I never want to get my platinum rings polished. They can keep their mushy patina. I hate having something I feel like I can mess up (i.e., the process of putting the first 30 scratches on a platinum ring) -- it's a relief when I first scratch the screen on my phone, too. ;-)

squiggy241

Rough_Rock
I prefer strong blue fluorescence in all my diamonds

I like smaller stones over larger

prefer smaller tables (54-56)

Like the patina that comes with platinum

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a fun thread! I wouldn't call this opinion unpopular per se but I do think I'm in the minority on this one - I prefer halos and elaborate settings to solitaires.

Here are a few that would be considered unpopular lol - I have a "pancake" diamond that I'm considering resetting. A lot of PS'ers wouldn't wear it if you paid them let alone bother to reset it, but it was my 25th anniversary present and I think it's pretty. But I don't care for the setting, and would wear it if it was in a setting more to my liking. Also, I'm ok with low clarity, even I1, as long as the stone is eye-clean.

ETA: Evangeline reminded me of another one, I'm ok with wg as opposed to platinum - I own both and really don't have a preference for platinum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results