shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite or Grossular Garent E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 12:48:11 PM
Author: amethystguy
LOL..i like that gailey.''Mr Torraca sure grinds nice rocks'' such a precision job but ''grinding rocks'' gives it a rough and blunt feel..even though technically thats what it is...LOL
Well I can''t take credit I am afraid. It was something the man himself said to me one day in an e-mail

"Can''t stop, gotta go grind some rocks!"

I was struck at the opposite polarity of what he said with with what he produces.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:01:47 PM
Author: tsavoritegirl
Ok, I don''t want to say too much yet, but I may have found something. It won''t be cut for a few days, so I''ll update as soon as I hear more.

In regards to settings, (I''m looking at you LaurenthePartier) what should I look for, to protect the stone. I''ve been told that Garnets are not as hard as some other stones and could use a little extra protection.

Design wise, my request is pretty simple: low profile, with blingy sides. I''m thinking micro pave, but that could change to compliment the stone.
What''s your style? And what do you gravitate toward?

I''m a pretty simple person at heart, but with my cushions, ovals, rounds, and step-cut cushions, I love to play with pave and halos. But, for my asschers, I tend to gravitate toward classic bezels that emphasize that octagonal shape, and if the metal colour is similar to the stone (like my diamond asscher/white gold and grossular/yellow gold), I love the effect that the additional bevel in the bezel offers in terms of size. For more architectural stones like Asschers/Sq. Emeralds, ECs, I feel like an architectural setting plays with the steps a bit. Mochi''s chryso in green gold comes to mind. Love that ring.
1.gif
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-chrysoberyl-part-ii.110989/

However, I''m wondering if a bezel may cause your Tsav to be too dark. Or even if a half bezel in the inspiration of a Sholdt would make it go dark and still not give enough protection. We will only be able to tell when you have your hands on it and get to play with it.

I think the Tsavorite that is cut for you will really determine the setting in which it belongs.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
I definitely want a setting that isn''t going to catch on things, so the idea of a bezel with pave'' sides sounds very appealing to me.

It''s still up in the air whether or not I''m getting a tsav. or a grossular garnet. I looked at a stone from Gemfix that was lovely, but too small, which was shocking for me, since it was a 5mm emerald step cut.

I''m going to bump up my specs to between 6-7mm, or roughly 2 carats. I don''t know if I''m getting burnt out or what, because nothing but nothing is catching my eye right now.

Hopefully, once everyone gets back from the gem show, I''ll have some happy news.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TsavoriteGirl,
Is the link to the following step cut tsavorites the right shade you are looking for? One is a 1.92 ct emerald cut and the other is a 1.8 ct asscher cut by Roger Dery and both stones appear to still be available.
http://www.spectralgems.net/A-garnet.html

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 9:48:00 PM
I definitely want a setting that isn''t going to catch on things, so the idea of a bezel with pave'' sides sounds very appealing to me.

It''s still up in the air whether or not I''m getting a tsav. or a grossular garnet. I looked at a stone from Gemfix that was lovely, but too small, which was shocking for me, since it was a 5mm emerald step cut.

I''m going to bump up my specs to between 6-7mm, or roughly 2 carats. I don''t know if I''m getting burnt out or what, because nothing but nothing is catching my eye right now.

Hopefully, once everyone gets back from the gem show, I''ll have some happy news.
TG, since you mentioned pave side stones, I''ll just leave Blueroses'' engagement ring right here . . .

hm80.jpg

1mm2.jpg

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Oooooooo.

I''m also thinking a Art Deco style setting might be a good option as well, although I''m having trouble finding something I really like. Diane''s estate jewelry has some gorgeous, albeit pricey stuff that is set into the band rather than above it.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
I have a stone! I went to a local gem show and fell in love with a 1.25 carat, round Mali Demantoid Garnet. This stone sparkles in the shadows. I''m a very hard sell for rounds, but this one is unlike anything I''ve ever seen.

I''m having a hard time getting photos of it, so it may take me a few days.

Because this stone is coming from an unknown gem cutter, I bought it based on the contingency that the lab report would confirm the origin of the stone.

I find GIA reports to be lackluster regarding coloured stones, but I don''t know what my other options are.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can go with AGL if you are in the USA.

I am very confused about another thing though; I've never heard of a Demantoid garmet from the Mali region. Namibian demantoid, yes, but not Mali. When a person says "Mali garnet", one thinks of a specific variety of the garnet group which is a mixture of the species grossular (hessonite) and andradite (demantoid).

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
It is my understanding from this source that both hessonite and demantoid can be found in Mali.

The cutter who sold me this stone told me that Demantoid found outside of Russia (which is basically all of it these days?) tends to be more blue vs. yellow green and lacks the horsetail inclusions (which I don''t like anyway).

I''ve seen LOTS of green garnets, tsavs, peridots, and tourmaline and this doesn''t look like any of them. I''ll post photos as soon as I can get a decent handful.

This stone has scintillation that I''ve never seen in any of the other green stones mentioned above, but the thing that has me convinced that it''s a Demantoid is that it has blue, yellow, and red flashes.

Regardless of my uneducated opinion, I want to make sure that the stone is what he says it is, and that the price I paid is appropriate (6.3 round/1.25 carats @ $700).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demantoid is around a 6.5 in hardness and slightly softer than other garnets, just to let you know, you do need to be more careful with it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2010 11:15:08 PM
It is my understanding from this source that both hessonite and demantoid can be found in Mali.

The cutter who sold me this stone told me that Demantoid found outside of Russia (which is basically all of it these days?) tends to be more blue vs. yellow green and lacks the horsetail inclusions (which I don''t like anyway).

I''ve seen LOTS of green garnets, tsavs, peridots, and tourmaline and this doesn''t look like any of them. I''ll post photos as soon as I can get a decent handful.

This stone has scintillation that I''ve never seen in any of the other green stones mentioned above, but the thing that has me convinced that it''s a Demantoid is that it has blue, yellow, and red flashes.

Regardless of my uneducated opinion, I want to make sure that the stone is what he says it is, and that the price I paid is appropriate (6.3 round/1.25 carats @ $700).
There''s a lot of yellow green demantoid outside of the Russian deposit as well. What you must be careful of is the color shift. Some of them can shift to an olive color in certain lighting. I find the Namibian demantoids to be a higher concentration in blue green than others, but it''s important that they hold their color well. Did you view the stone in various lighting conditions?

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Man i''m too late... I can''t wait to see the pics of your stone, but I''m getting a ring that''s pretty much exactly what you originally described. 5 mm square emerald tsav, low profile halo, with a twisted pave shank. Should be ready in a couple weeks. They had to custom do the halo because it was originally for a round stone. If you''re interested in the setting I can show you the link.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Here is a photo of the stone.

dragonscale1.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, looking forward to more photos!

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks ma re.

I'm hoping to get some opinions as to whether this stone appears to be what it was sold as. I now monitors may vary, and while I'm lucky my fiance is a photographer, he doesn't photograph gemstones.

dragonscale3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2010 10:40:10 PM
Thanks ma re.

I'm hoping to get some opinions as to whether this stone appears to be what it was sold as. I now monitors may vary, and while I'm lucky my fiance is a photographer, he doesn't photograph gemstones.
It appears to look like a demantoid, and a very pretty one, but without proper gemological testing, there's no way to be 100% certain from a photograph. Perhaps take it to a skilled gemologist that specializes in colored gems to have it verified as a true demantoid, or send it to a reputable gemological lab for a fast track memo (those are less expensive than full reports). Some demantoids are also heated to improve color, so that may or may not be something you also want to have checked. I think $700 is a fair price for a demantoid that size, eye clean, and a light green color.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s really pretty!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
TG, take my comment with a grain of salt as I haven't looked into thus much, but it looks like a Mali garnet to me (which are known for lots of flash / scint etc).
I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a "mali demantoid garnet" either; I would've just thought that made it a mali
33.gif

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
After seeing some of his work IRL, hearing rave reviews about him, I''m calling Andrew Sarosi tomorrow, to see if he would be interested in setting and identifying this gem.

He is local to me, so I hope he is interested.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was a true Mali, then $700 would be a very high price. I wouldn''t spend more than $200 on it if that were the case. Artcitgems.com and Multicolour.com have many examples of mali garnets. Gemlineinc.com has many examples of demantoids, if you want to look at some for the sake of curiosity, but I still think it''s important to have it professionally id''d. Mali garnets are still beautiful gems, but not as expensive as demantoids.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 3:28:10 AM
After seeing some of his work IRL, hearing rave reviews about him, I''m calling Andrew Sarosi tomorrow, to see if he would be interested in setting and identifying this gem.

He is local to me, so I hope he is interested.

Very pretty stone. It does have a demantoid look to it. I have a small Nambian demantoid that looks something like that. I love Andrew Sarosi''s work. I have two of his rings and the gold work on them is just fabulous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results