shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite or Grossular Garent E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
The last thread I started became quite convoluted with all of the bickering. I''m starting a new thread for the sake of clarity. Please help me stay on track.
1.gif

I originally started my search for my centre stone looking for an Asscher cut Tsav. approximately 5mm or roughly .75 to no more than 1.00. Through hours of research and the invaluable help I''ve received from this forum and industry pros, I''ve refined my search to either a perfect replica of Peter Torraca''s spectacular Grossular Garnet or a Tsavorite that will work in an Asscher cut.

I''ve revised my specs to match 5-6mm or up to 1.3 carats, since that''s what seems to be the common size is for any stone that catches my eye.

So far, I''ve heard back from Jeff White and Bruce Bridges, who are both very lovely and are looking for stones that match my specs as well. I''ve spoken with Peter Torraca as well, who won''t be getting anything that matches my specs for a while, however I''ve asked him to contact me should that occur. Barry over at ACstones, is also a nogo.

So far, this is where I''m at.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2010 11:29:13 PM
Author:tsavoritegirl
The last thread I started became quite convoluted with all of the bickering. I''m starting a new thread for the sake of clarity. Please help me stay on track.
1.gif

I originally started my search for my centre stone looking for an Asscher cut Tsav. approximately 5mm or roughly .75 to no more than 1.00. Through hours of research and the invaluable help I''ve received from this forum and industry pros, I''ve refined my search to either a perfect replica of Peter Torraca''s spectacular Grossular Garnet or a Tsavorite that will work in an Asscher cut.

I''ve revised my specs to match 5-6mm or up to 1.3 carats, since that''s what seems to be the common size is for any stone that catches my eye.

So far, I''ve heard back from Jeff White and Bruce Bridges, who are both very lovely and are looking for stones that match my specs as well. I''ve spoken with Peter Torraca as well, who won''t be getting anything that matches my specs for a while, however I''ve asked him to contact me should that occur. Barry over at ACstones, is also a nogo.

So far, this is where I''m at.

So to be clear your spec''s are:

(1) Cut-Asscher
(2) Type-Tsavorite/ or Green Grossular
(3) Size-Up to 5mm up to 1.3 carats.

Asschers in this material will have to be most likely a custom request from rough.
There are finished stones, but most common are not asschers.

Have you tried Gene from Precision Gems?

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Just to confirm yes, those are my specs. I have not contacted Precision Gems, but I will now. Gemfix may have something for me, but that is unconfirmed.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
I have literally emailed every single contact on the coloured gems stones list, so now all I can do is sit back and wait.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe contact swala? they may be able to custom cut something for you (don''t know how expensive that will be though) they tend to have a lot of tsav.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem to have contacted all the right people who can make it happen for you. At this point, I’m not sure what else you can do other then to sit back and wait to see if the cutters can find suitable material for you.

ETA
I’d almost forgotten but have you contacted Gary Braun of Finewater and Lisa Elsner? Both are precision cutters who can do asscher cutting with access to tsavorite rough.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 2:10:50 AM
Author: tsavoritegirl
I have literally emailed every single contact on the coloured gems stones list, so now all I can do is sit back and wait.
We''ll be waiting with you. In the meantime, do you have a setting in mind?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you emailed Gene at Precision Gem or Gary Braun of Finewater? ETA: I see that you have emailed both. Good luck!

Of all of the asschers I own, those are my two favourite cutters. I'm a bit picky about symmetry and structure when it comes to windmills as my engagement ring is also an asscher, and own a few Peter Torraca asschers (scapolite, amethyst, morganite), a Jeff White (peridot), a few of Gary's (aquamarine, and 2 tourmalines) and a Gene (grossular garnet).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two others to try:-

John at Gemrite
Daniel Stair at Customgemstones

You could also try Richard Homer at Concavegems but he typically cuts concave gems BUT I seem to recall he facetted a sapphire for somebody that was absolutely stunning so he may be worth approaching. He might be more expensive than some of the others.

There''s also Jeff White (can''t remember if you''ve contacted him or not). Here''s a yellow grossular garnet that he cut (think it''s sold but not sure) http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR085.htm

I know you''re looking for an Asscher in a Tsav or Mint GG but have you considered Chrysoberyl? It''s incredibly durable (good for an everyday ring) and it sparkles like mad. This isn''t an Asscher but it''s a very cool and interesting stone: http://www.whitesgems.com/gems/CHL005.htm

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
This morning Dana from Mastercut, and Ed from Kashmir Blue got back to me, and may have material that is close to what I''m looking for.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Ed from Kashmir Blue got back to me and said he may have some stones that are very similar to what I want.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Tsavgal,
I was perusing another forum today (sorry, not allowed to mention it by name) and I came across the stone below. It's an emerald cut tsavorite (think asscher without windmills)! It's 0.91cts which I anticipate would be in the region of 5.0mm². It's from Roger Dery, who cut the one of the asschers I posted earlier.

I also have a small tsavorite that is just shy of 6.0mm² that is an emerald cut. I actually prefer this cut to asschers (please don't tar and feather me ladies!), especially in smallish stones.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Whoops, forgot the pic. Here you go!

Roger Dery tsavorite emerald cut.jpg

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
I love the colour. I know it''s often hard to tell from photographs, but how is the scintillation on a square emerald vs. a asscher cut, in reagrds to a tsav of that size?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably not much, since an asscher is a (modified) square emerald cut.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Difference in scintillation between an Asscher and a square emerald cut? Don''t know, but let me tell you mine is a right "Bobby Dazzler"

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Ok, I don''t want to say too much yet, but I may have found something. It won''t be cut for a few days, so I''ll update as soon as I hear more.

In regards to settings, (I''m looking at you LaurenthePartier) what should I look for, to protect the stone. I''ve been told that Garnets are not as hard as some other stones and could use a little extra protection.

Design wise, my request is pretty simple: low profile, with blingy sides. I''m thinking micro pave, but that could change to compliment the stone.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:01:47 PM
Ok, I don''t want to say too much yet, but I may have found something. It won''t be cut for a few days, so I''ll update as soon as I hear more.

In regards to settings, (I''m looking at you LaurenthePartier) what should I look for, to protect the stone. I''ve been told that Garnets are not as hard as some other stones and could use a little extra protection.

Design wise, my request is pretty simple: low profile, with blingy sides. I''m thinking micro pave, but that could change to compliment the stone.
There you go, what did I tell you. As my Mum would say, "I felt it in my water". I hope it works out for you.

As far as your setting goes, what is your budget?

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gailey. I''m very hopeful!
9.gif

I have $5k budgeted for the total of the ring. I''m assuming the center stone will cost between $250-$500, which leaves quite a bit for the rest of the ring.

I forgot to mention, the metal has to be platinum, as I have reactions to everything else.

I''ve started to look at settings just to get an idea of what I like. I was recommended the lovely Asscher setting with pave sides from Winifreds, which I like very much.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered palladium? It might save you some money (although you do have a healthy budget for a nice ring), and in terms of allergies I heard it''s as safe as platinum.

tsavoritegirl

Rough_Rock
I had a gorgeous cornflower blue sapphire set in palladium ages ago, and after finding out the hard way that Palladium 18k is not the same as Palladium 950, I''ve never trusted it again.

I love the weight of platinum, and am lucky enough to be able to afford it right now. If I didn''t have an allergy I''d be all over it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 3:35:29 AM
I had a gorgeous cornflower blue sapphire set in palladium ages ago, and after finding out the hard way that Palladium 18k is not the same as Palladium 950, I''ve never trusted it again.
Sorry to hear that - indeed, one is a white gold alloy (ouch) and the other one is a palladium alloy. Vendor would probably explain you the difference if you told him/her about the allergy (and assuming the vendor knows something about alloys and common metal allergies).

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 1:19:17 AM
Thanks Gailey. I''m very hopeful!
9.gif

I have $5k budgeted for the total of the ring. I''m assuming the center stone will cost between $250-$500, which leaves quite a bit for the rest of the ring.

I forgot to mention, the metal has to be platinum, as I have reactions to everything else.

I''ve started to look at settings just to get an idea of what I like. I was recommended the lovely Asscher setting with pave sides from Winifreds, which I like very much.
Tsavgal,
Mention to your cutter that it would make life easy if he could cut the stone to a calibrated size. That way it is more likely to fit into a stock setting. $4500 is a healthy budget, so you might have enough to go the custom route, depending on how much bling you want.

Once you have a stone, we can start to make suggestions to you about where to go to get it set and different styles etc.

Meanwhile take a look at this thread for a few ideas: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-the-cuprian.137782/

I have quite a few asscher ring settings in my scrapbook that I can show you, but let''s get the stone first.

I''m keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know almost everyone here loves a true asscher cut but don''t kill me for my opinion.
25.gif
I believe a stone of around 5 mm benefits more from a modified step cut (carre cut) rather than being a full asscher with windmills and all. The larger steps of a modified step cut will show better brilliance and actually show off the scintallation better.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 10:52:28 AM
Author: Chrono
I know almost everyone here loves a true asscher cut but don''t kill me for my opinion.
25.gif
I believe a stone of around 5 mm benefits more from a modified step cut (carre cut) rather than being a full asscher with windmills and all. The larger steps of a modified step cut will show better brilliance and actually show off the scintallation better.
Chrono, I think you make a good point. My tsavorite is 5.98mm. I''m not sure how busy an asscher would have looked at that size.

tsavvy for Gailey 04.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tsavoritegirl - you mentioned you want a ring to be low set? Do you have the dimensions (depth) of the stone you''ve found? Asschers are notoriously deep and so there may be an issue with how low you want to set it. However, a step/carre cut may not be as deep.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
ohh..thats a nice little stone you got there gailey!!!..lovely color

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said Garnet....I''m guessing it''s a TSAV! Congrats. Please show us the photo and tell us the dimensions once it''s cut!

Gailey -- your stone is lovely!
21.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 12:19:25 PM
Author: amethystguy
ohh..thats a nice little stone you got there gailey!!!..lovely color
Aye, to be sure, that it is sir! Mr Torraca sure grinds nice rocks. Thank you.

Thanks SG!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL..i like that gailey."Mr Torraca sure grinds nice rocks" such a precision job but "grinding rocks" gives it a rough and blunt feel..even though technically thats what it is...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results