shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite 911

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys! Can you let me know what you think of the attached tsavorite? Would you be worried about the slighy darkness in the middle?

kittytsavoritebbb.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is what I saw in my spinel - some people call it "facet reflection", some call it extinction. To me, the color looks great, but why don''t you ask the vendor if this is what he recommends you to buy? If it is the person that I know, he is pretty good in answering back. Of course things may be different during the Tucson show but usually communication is easy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If thats a swala stone, I''d ask them what it looks like in person You could ask for an additional picture. I wouldn''t be concerned about it though no.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Head obstruction is my best guess. Since Eric is well known here, shoot him an email to ask PLUS additional pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2010 9:52:06 PM
Author: Chrono
Head obstruction is my best guess. Since Eric is well known here, shoot him an email to ask PLUS additional pictures.
Ditto.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Erik said this "What you are seeing is internal facet reflection. This is totally
normal. Nothing to worry about. A stone will always have internal
shadows; switching from one facet to the other depending on the light
direction."

He also said he''d get more pictures.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Additional photo.

ref10466bis(2).jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is photographing quite blue at that angle, yet yellowish green at a different angle. Is the stone usually a straight green? No hand shot?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
No handshot. This is from the same parcel at Swala that other people recently bought Tsavorites from.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Hand shot.

ref10466-hand-shot.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like the colour? Cut wise, I don’t see any issues at all; definitely no extinction.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I do like the color. The hand shot actually made me much more comfortable with the stone. I''m just new at this and need some reassurances. I would like to have this set into a ring and be something I can enjoy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, it is up to you to decide if this is the colour you want and like. From the looks of it, it may show hints of different undertone colours under various lighting as shown in the pictures you shared with us. It is neither good nor bad, but is really a personal preference. I highly doubt this tsavorite is going to black out or show extinction or have any cut issues.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, thank you for the input!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is from the same parcel as mine and LD''s, you''re going to LOVE this stone in person.

Mine has a velvety appearance in low lights which also makes it glow like mad. sunlight makes it sparkle like crazy (very hard to capture on camera though)

Mine is 1.31ct but it really makes a big impact on my hand due to its color. Cutting looks very good so I doubt it will go extinct.

-A

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the photo on the hand. I would buy it -- if you like the color. I like the cut. How large is it? You are thinking ring for this right?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Its 1.71 I think, and yes, I want a ring made with it...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 10:22:53 PM
Author: y2kitty
Its 1.71 I think, and yes, I want a ring made with it...
Oh I meant in mm! It would look good in Yellow Gold maybe add some diamond side stones if you need to...

Again I like the shape.

jps

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading more about cut - native vs precision but am still a little confused. Would one consider this a native cut? Are most stones from Swala etc. the same in this regard? Precision cuts are not limited to concave correct?
Thank you - this website is an amazing source of information!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Native cut basically means it''s cut in the country of origin. Or thats what it''s supposed to mean. Some are nicely cut some aren''t. Probably depends on who does it. I''m not sure how to describe a precision cut but I know it''s meant to be very precise ( angles points etc) and some of the cuts are unusual. They can look really awesome. Okay someone help me out here.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Y2kitty, did you wind up with the stone?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
No, I ended up buying a spess instead.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I think that color looks fantastic..so you passed..got pics of the spess?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Well, this stone is still available on swala if anyone else wants it. Also, they have some new spinels up too.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2010 11:16:19 AM
Author: innerkitten
Native cut basically means it''s cut in the country of origin. Or thats what it''s supposed to mean. Some are nicely cut some aren''t. Probably depends on who does it. I''m not sure how to describe a precision cut but I know it''s meant to be very precise ( angles points etc) and some of the cuts are unusual. They can look really awesome. Okay someone help me out here.

While that may be literally true, I would not describe a precision cut as "native" regardless of where the cut was done. There is at least one precision cutter in Arusha who''s work is excellent, and despite sitting in Arusha is doing work that competes with anything I''ve seen in the US.

Native Cut when used to describe a stone generally means it''s cut on a jamb peg or other traditional equipment, and is not meet point or much concerned about critical angle. It doesn''t mean the stone isn''t beautiful - the top jamb peg cut sapphires are cut by VERY experienced people who can get the most possible colour and beauty from a stone.

I personally despise the construct "American cut gem" to refer to precision cutting since I live in the True North Strong and Free :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y2Kitty where are photos of your new Spess??

I do see your point Lisa. I'm sure there are precision cutters that are not in the US.

Personally I would love it if you put prices on your web site, I've looked a couple of times but just assumed you were out of my price range because you didn't post prices.

Where is the "True North Strong and Free?"

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Never said they were all cut in the US or that a a non precision cut couldn't be beautiful.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2010 11:16:19 AM
Author: innerkitten
Native cut basically means it''s cut in the country of origin. Or thats what it''s supposed to mean. Some are nicely cut some aren''t.... Okay someone help me out here.

Sorry if I offended you, but you did ask for help. Calling a stone which is cut to precise angles, on modern equipment, and has meet points a native cut because the cutter was sitting in Columbo, or Arusha, or Minas Gerais is a misnomer.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/19/2010 1:22:06 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

I do see your point Lisa. I''m sure there are precision cutters that are not in the US.

Personally I would love it if you put prices on your web site, I''ve looked a couple of times but just assumed you were out of my price range because you didn''t post prices.

Where is the ''True North Strong and Free?''

I''m in Canada ;-) and that''s a line from our national anthem. Thought I''d get a chuckle out of my countrywomen!

90% of my clients are goldsmiths, so prices on the site would radically tick them off. My email list gets them, though.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 3:07:42 PM
Author: lelser

Date: 2/19/2010 1:22:06 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

I do see your point Lisa. I''m sure there are precision cutters that are not in the US.

Personally I would love it if you put prices on your web site, I''ve looked a couple of times but just assumed you were out of my price range because you didn''t post prices.

Where is the ''True North Strong and Free?''

I''m in Canada ;-) and that''s a line from our national anthem. Thought I''d get a chuckle out of my countrywomen!

90% of my clients are goldsmiths, so prices on the site would radically tick them off. My email list gets them, though.
Go Lisa!!

Stone Hunter, send Lisa an e-mail asking to be on her mailing list and she will send you her current catalogue with prices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results