carat
color
clarity

Traditional Solitaire vs. 5 Stone Ring for Engagement

lktx

Shiny_Rock
orbaya|1340668141|3223546 said:
diamondseeker2006|1340665578|3223524 said:
I will just say that I love 5 stone rings, but I wouldn't want .40's in a 5 stone band and I wear a size 5.5. There was someone here who sold one with stones that size and the person who bought it ended up selling and mentioned it was a little much for a 5 stone ring. I'd really recommend considering .30-.33. I bought a vintage 5 stone band that is .20-.25 each, and I promise, it is actually blingy enough for me. If I had a new one made, though, I'd go with .30's.

I have a solitaire and wouldn't give it up, but I love having a 5 stone band to wear as an alternate to my wedding set. I think it all depends on budget. If my budget was $5000, I'd be getting a 5 stone. If the budget was $10,000+, I'd probably get the solitaire.

I agree on the size of diamonds in a 5 stone ring. I wear a size 5, and as I mentioned earlier each stone was .33ct m my ring. It is a perfect size for me...it covers my finger completely so you can't see any metal from the band, yet it is still comfortable and super blingy. There are several threads on PS with pictures of our 5 stone rings, and most include the size of the stones and fingers.

Diamondseeker and Orbaya, thanks for the size advice. I wasn't sure if .4 might be pushing it a little over the edge--I'll check out rings in the .33 range!

lktx

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1340664649|3223521 said:
I've had both. I wouldn't give up my solitaire. I fully admit the 5 stone would be blingier. But I wouldn't give up my solitaire.

What makes you say that? I'm very interested to hear, because some days I wake up and dream of solitaires. Other days 5 stones. :saint:

As an aside, Gypsy, were you the originator of the Aurora band? If so, and you were in the market for another band, would you go for the Aurora or a 5 stone? Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
one thing about having a classic traditional solitaire...they never go out of style... ;))

here's my wife's 1.15ct solitaire ring (size 4.75) along with her 5 stone 1.27ctw band.

_33.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lktx, part of it is that some of us have had solitaires for a long time, so we'd miss them if we didn't have them. As I said, if my choice was to spend $5000 on a .80 solitaire or a 5 stone ring with .30's, the 5 stone ring would win. But I think someone made an excellent point that for a 5th or 10th anniversary, most of us would be more likely to be able to justify a 5 stone band as an anniversary gift rather than a diamond solitaire ring. So if you think you want both, go for the solitaire as your e-ring now if the budget allows and get the 5 stone later.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1340669034|3223557 said:
one thing about having a classic traditional solitaire...they never go out of style... ;))

here's my wife's 1.15ct solitaire ring (size 4.75) along with her 5 stone 1.27ctw band.

Great picture, DF...that really shows the finger coverage of .25 stones and .30-.33 is even bigger!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1340669492|3223566 said:
Dancing Fire|1340669034|3223557 said:

Great picture, DF...that really shows the finger coverage of .25 stones and .30-.33 is even bigger!
yeah, i think with her 4.75 size ring .25ct X 5 is the max she can go w/o spilling over to the side.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am attaching a picture of my five stone ring. It has five .40 carat stones in it (2 ctw) and the ring is sized at a smidge over 5. This ring is very comfortable and I have no problems with the size of the stones. However, it is made by Memoire and has a very low profile which lends itself to comfort. If the stones had larger prongs or set up higher, I could see it being problematic. I chose the Memoire though because of the look and because of the comfort.

However, I am probably a traditionalist when it comes to an engagement ring. I had a solitaire ring for years before upgrading and converting to a three stone ring. The five stone band came as an anniversary present some 25 years later. While I love both looks, I would definitely choose a solitaire for an engagement ring and a five stone ring down the road. The size of these stones are too big IMO to be a wedding band paired with an ering; they would overpower most any size solitaire.

You asked for opinions and that is mine - however, the most important thing is that you be happy with what you choose. I think the idea of trying and wearing a faux ring of each type is a good one. Those two styles of rings produce a totally different effect - only you can decide which is right for you!

Attachments

• hof_bracelet.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 1,307

lktx

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340669390|3223564 said:
lktx, part of it is that some of us have had solitaires for a long time, so we'd miss them if we didn't have them. As I said, if my choice was to spend $5000 on a .80 solitaire or a 5 stone ring with .30's, the 5 stone ring would win. But I think someone made an excellent point that for a 5th or 10th anniversary, most of us would be more likely to be able to justify a 5 stone band as an anniversary gift rather than a diamond solitaire ring. So if you think you want both, go for the solitaire as your e-ring now if the budget allows and get the 5 stone later.

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense, and y'all have given me a lot of helpful points to think about! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, MGR, I totally did not remember that your gorgeous ring was 2 cts! I do think the reason it works so well is because of the Memoire setting. I think 40 pointers in some of the trellis settings that have the stones up higher do not allow the stones to wrap around the finger comfortably. So it really does depend on the setting.

(and yes, at 5 and 10 year anniversaries we had babies, so it was a long time before I got major jewelry pieces, too!)

lktx

Shiny_Rock
DF and MissGotRocks, :love: :cheeky: What great pictures!

lktx

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1340670858|3223583 said:
Oh, MGR, I totally did not remember that your gorgeous ring was 2 cts! I do think the reason it works so well is because of the Memoire setting. I think 40 pointers in some of the trellis settings that have the stones up higher do not allow the stones to wrap around the finger comfortably. So it really does depend on the setting.

Good to know, as I was considering a trellis setting if I were to go down the 5 stone route. Will check into that, and will also check out Memoire.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lktx|1340671031|3223585 said:
Good to know, as I was considering a trellis setting if I were to go down the 5 stone route. Will check into that, and will also check out Memoire.

Also check out FancyDiamond's comparison of Uprong & trellis style five-stones - she owns both
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-perfect-5-stone-trellis-design-from-whiteflash.154045/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-perfect-5-stone-trellis-design-from-whiteflash.154045/[/URL]

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lktx|1340671031|3223585 said:
diamondseeker2006|1340670858|3223583 said:

Yes, it is very important IMO to consider the setting that you put five stones into - particularly in larger sized stones. A beautiful ring is no good if it is uncomfortable to wear - particularly if the end prongs end up sticking into the adjoining fingers or the stones make closing your fingers impossible. That would definitely be a no go for me - especially for a ring that you consider wearing every day. I can tell you that I wear my five stone every day and have not had a moment of discomfort from it.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My thinking is if you think you'd enjoy both equally and don't particularly care for the solitaire-as-an engagement ring tradition, go with the one you're less likely to get in the future. If your budget is tight now but you anticipate to have more disposable income in a few years, get a 5-stone and get a nice size solitaire for some big anniversary. But if you think it's unlikely that you'll get a solitaire later, get one now and a 5-stone at a later point, which should be more affordable than a solitaire. For me, even though our income is much greater than when we got engaged (I was also just finishing grad school), our expenses have gotten pretty high also and I just can't picture the circumstances where we'd be comfortable spending the kind of money he spent on my ring on any kind of anniversary present, at least not in the foreseeable future. But a 5-stone would be a lot more manageable. It may be just the opposite for you though. Ultimately, of course you should go with whatever will make you happier.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say getting samples to wear and see how they feel is the way to go. I bought a few different settings from qvc and hsn in the past and figured out that I'm not a solitaire wearer. They just get in the way and bug me. So I skipped the solitaire and went with an eternity band. Nobody will think you're engaged though - non solitaire options are non traditional.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about getting the solitaire now and then turning it into a 3 or 5 stone later? I personally like the look of a 3 stone for an engagement ring in the long run which will give you the best of both worlds. I am also having a 5 stone graduated ring being made which I think is better suited as a RHR.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1340675132|3223614 said:
How about getting the solitaire now and then turning it into a 3 or 5 stone later? I personally like the look of a 3 stone for an engagement ring in the long run which will give you the best of both worlds. I am also having a 5 stone graduated ring being made which I think is better suited as a RHR.

That's another great idea. A 3 stone might be the perfect compromise--it still looks like a traditional engagement ring, but it's more blingy than a solitaire.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lktx|1340668579|3223551 said:
Gypsy|1340664649|3223521 said:
I've had both. I wouldn't give up my solitaire. I fully admit the 5 stone would be blingier. But I wouldn't give up my solitaire.

What makes you say that? I'm very interested to hear, because some days I wake up and dream of solitaires. Other days 5 stones. :saint:

As an aside, Gypsy, were you the originator of the Aurora band? If so, and you were in the market for another band, would you go for the Aurora or a 5 stone? Thanks!

Nothing says 'engaged' like a solitaire, IMO and it's traditional and I am a person that likes tradition-- when it makes sense. And a solitaire, investing in one nice piece, one nice diamond made sense to me. Plus, I was engaged for quite a while (I was afraid of marriage), and I enjoyed being engaged. So it represents a time in my life that I enjoyed: being engaged and it represents a tradition I understand and appreciate and am happy to take part in. Plus my ring is understated (despite the halo) and that suits me as well-- it took me a long time to figure that out about myself.

5 stones and my Aurora very much say "not newly married" to me. Growing up ladies of a certain age wore 5 stones instead of their engagement sets and they made a very solid statement of 'settled" to me. And they still do. I wear my own mutiple stone band on days I want to send the message that I'm settled. It's also IMO a conservative look, or at least a standard 5 or 7 stone is.

The Aurora was neither conservative or understated. It screamed "look at me" and I'm not a look at me person. I can be extroverted and in the right environment do come out of my shell, but as a general rule I'm not a showy person. The Aurora made me uncomfortable. I thought I would love it, because I loved it on the screen and in my mind. But I know now that just because I love something, doesn't mean I will love it for me. And the Aurora was a lesson in that truth. I have since then owned a 5 stone with 20 pointers that I regretted selling until I got the 7 stone with 15 pointers that I think is just perfect in terms of size (but that I will probably sell because I really am a platinum girl and just don't like white gold in rings) and in terms of the statement it makes about me. I will eventually get a 'dream' 7 stone of 15 pointers in platinum and I plan on that being a long term piece for me, now that I've tried on different looks and know what I like.

I think jewelry makes a statement. Even if I am the only one it is speaking to, I like it to carry the right message. None of my pieces (anymore) are showy or very blingtastic, but they are all very high quality and well made and most are outside the average in terms of design. That's what is 'right' for me, because it reflects who I am and what matters to me. That doesn't mean it's right for you. If we were all the same person, there wouldn't be such a lovely variety of rings out there as engagement rings. I think that when you are spending this much money it's important to find the right fit for you and your lifestyle, and you are the only one who can decide what that is. We can't tell you what you should do, we can only tell you what we would do. But that's colored by our own priorities and personalities. Honestly, that's one of the best parts of growing up: learning who you really are AND learning to appreciate who you are, and who others are. I think this thread and this decision are a chance for you to explore who you are and what your priorities are for this piece. And that's a lot of fun-- so enjoy it.

I think a three stone is a great look, BTW. And if I hadn't had a 6x6 asscher that's what I would have gotten as my setting. I personally love the look of them. Blingy, but not 'look at me'-- understated and conservative but very beautiful. And they say 'engaged' just as well as a solitaire.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion is to buy the bigger solitaire now and reset it into a 3 or a 5 stone later if you want more bling.

I had my solitaire for 2 years and loved the 'newly engaged and newly married' feel that a solitaire gives you. I reset to a graduated 5 stone (CADs that yssie posted (thanks!) ) and I love it so much, but I don't think it fits the 'newly engaged' look at all (although people comment on my ring and then ask me when I'm getting married all the time).

I don't regret my decision to reset to the graduated look at all and one day in the (very distant!) future I plan to move the 5 stone to my right hand and get a huge solitaire for the left. :naughty:

Do you want to have the traditional, newly engaged look or are you happy just to go straight for the ring full of bling that a 5 stone will give you?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, love your last post!! very insightful!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
You've said you've gotten good jobs and so income will be more in the future and that you could get a solitaire later, and others have said you can always get a solitaire later for an anniversary, but I just want to reiterate from my first post that diamond prices are going up-up-and-possibly-away, so a big solitaire might eventually be out of your price range (or what you'd feel comfortable spending after a wedding/honeymoon, house, possibly a baby, etc.). I thought about getting a 7-stone band as an e-ring, but decided I may never get a solitaire if I didn't get one then. Luckily, we did get good jobs and are on track to be out of debt by our 5th anniversary, but I am still nervous that I could lose my chance to get the over 1 carat solitaire I'd really love to have, because of diamond prices and other priorities.

Read this: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/diamond-prices-news-roundup-may-2012

My DH bought my half carat in January of 2008 (one of the little red dots on the far left of the chart) and the prices have gone up 20% on average since then. If you look at the squiggly red line that represents 1-2 carats from, say, May of 2009, and then look at where it is now, it's gone up about 30%. The up to half carat blue dots have gone up roughly 5% from 2008--only 4.5 years ago. I don't want to scare you, I just want you to realize that it's possible you could be entirely priced out of getting a solitaire (unless you're making really good money, have extremely stable jobs, already own a house, and/or don't plan on having kids) but less likely that you'd be priced out of getting a 1.5 ctw 5-stone ring, maybe even for your 1st or 2nd anniversary if you can swing it. :naughty:

I second the idea of getting some fakeys and trying them out at home to see which makes your heart go pitter patter, and if the thought of putting one away (or selling it on Diamond Bistro) makes you sad, then that's the one to get. :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I own a five-stone type ring and a 7mm single diamond and comparing the two here are my thoughts: For overall blingpact the five stone or other style that covers the whole width of your hand carries the day compared to a 1.2ct solitaire. No question. BUT when it comes to personal enjoyment of a diamond, a single larger stone will always win for me. The optics of diamonds change dramatically as they get larger, with more chunky and bold flash, and you can see the faceting better in larger diamonds. For ME, if the chips are down and I have to choose, I choose larger diamonds any day because of those optical differences. I only learned this preference from owning and wearing both though. Really, ideally, every bling wardrobe needs both styles!

Which to get now... is 1.2ct your ideal size for a solitaire or will you want to upgrade? Eventually it sounds like you want both styles, so perhaps get NOW the one that you won't want to change?

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both!

I haven't been lucky enough to own a large solitaire so I can't contribute to the conversation about optics, but I like diamond bands. They are more practical and have better finger coverage. I really like the idea of a graduated 5 stone.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
I originally wanted just a diamond band as my engagement ring and I wanted to do some stacky with it. But then I got suckered into trying on e-rings and I remembered how much I always wanted an antique engagement ring. So, I changed my mind. If you go with a solitaire to start, you can always add a beautiful diamond wedding band or 5 stone band down the road. Also, I am not a huge fan of solitaire rings (sorry), so I would suggest a 3-stone or a diamond shank solitaire.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a solitaire and a five stone as my wedding band, wear them together. So that is what I would say...you get the best of both!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1340716638|3223766 said:
Gypsy, love your last post!! very insightful!
Thank you MsSalvo. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results