shape
carat
color
clarity

Top color aquamarine..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gene, your aqua is beautiful. I think I always thought it was a tourmaline!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
How about this one link or this one? I just can''t seem to get over Yingh''s! Did she ever set it?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I just looked this one up, it was 2.86 ct.
The cut was a concave cut, and I''ve done the same cut a few times. It''s a lot of work, so I don''t do it too often.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
heck i thought it was a tourm. too.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TL, et al,

Yes, the round, my apologies though Gene''s concave cushion fits my definition as well!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 12:48:52 AM
Author: amethystguy
I can''t figure out the whole santa maria thing..those stones i thought were mined back in the 70''s and have since played out a long time ago..sure now it''s used on other aquas but getting technical it should only apply to the santa maria mine..oh..wait..paraiba from nigeria and mozambique
2.gif
..those aquas i linked at ebay come from the mimoso del sul mine..one of supposedly only 3 aqua mines in the world that produce that deep a color aqua with the 2 being in brazil..just what i have heard

Some dealers have old stock. I considered a Santa Maria -- pure blue and limpid -- but decided that I just don''t like aquas.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 12:10:48 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 4/8/2010 12:06:44 AM

Author: IndyLady

Are darker/deeper tones more valued than light tones? Is there such a thing as ''too dark''?

Yes, darker/deeper tones are more valued than light tones. It''s one of the few gems that''s rated based on tonality alone, and I don''t get that. I never saw an aqua that was too dark where it went black, kind of like a dark spinel or sapphire, but I have seen aquas that are too grey. Regardless of the grey, which keeps the price point down on almost every other blue stone, dark toned aquas are much more expensive than light toned ones.

Look at the pricing on Paraibainternational for example, lots of very dark grey stones going for very high prices.

TourmalineLover,
I have been biting my tongue, but I find your generalisation about ParaibaI''s aquamarines poor. Have you handled them? I have seen their entire aquamarine inventory and can attest that there are a fair number of beauties available at fair prices. Yes, you have been collecting for 20+ years. That said, have you ever considered that you may not have seen the top material?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2010 4:38:36 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 4/8/2010 12:10:48 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 4/8/2010 12:06:44 AM

Are darker/deeper tones more valued than light tones? Is there such a thing as 'too dark'?

Yes, darker/deeper tones are more valued than light tones. It's one of the few gems that's rated based on tonality alone, and I don't get that. I never saw an aqua that was too dark where it went black, kind of like a dark spinel or sapphire, but I have seen aquas that are too grey. Regardless of the grey, which keeps the price point down on almost every other blue stone, dark toned aquas are much more expensive than light toned ones.

Look at the pricing on Paraibainternational for example, lots of very dark grey stones going for very high prices.

TourmalineLover,
I have been biting my tongue, but I find your generalisation about ParaibaI's aquamarines poor. Have you handled them? I have seen their entire aquamarine inventory and can attest that there are a fair number of beauties available at fair prices. Yes, you have been collecting for 20+ years. That said, have you ever considered that you may not have seen the top material?
I'm sure Adam probably has some very nice ones, and you're right, I haven't seen them in person. Again, given that we only have photos to look at, that was my statement based on the photos. I should have clarified that point that it was based strictly on the photos and not the stones IRL. It was used an example to show off aquas that are grey and not so grey since they do have a wide variety. No offense to Adam Gil, and I apologize to him if I did come off sounding a bit harsh.

Yes, I have considered that I have not seen certain colored material in person considering the one concave on the prior page is a color I have never seen in an aqua IRL. According to the trade, that is not top color though since it should be darker in tone. Richard Wise alludes to very rare colored aqua, which I concede might look like the concave cut one, and when I first saw the photo, I didn't think it was an aqua. I have not seen Lagoon aqua in person. I have seen very dark Santa Maria IRL, and I am unimpressed with it.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
i must say that lagoon stone is sweeeet..not only do I like the color but it has that awesome salability being a hybrid..boy if i had some of those I would hoc them all over the place focusing on that color and the hybrid aspect

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. I wish I had taken a picture of the Santa Maria I had briefly. It was a stunner. But, like you, aquas are not for me.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Autumngems, I love your aqua ring! Thanks for the links.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 10:26:32 PM
How about this one link or this one? I just can''t seem to get over Yingh''s! Did she ever set it?

IndyLady, I am glad you like my aqua. In fact, I am in the middle of setting it right now. It will be a surprise for you ladies.
2.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Yingh, I am so glad you found this thread! Your aqua is one of my all time favorite aquas on PS. I''m seriously looking forward to seeing your aqua once its set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results