shape
carat
color
clarity

Took my huge Ametrine in to get a ID/value...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, all I can say is God bless anyone who would cut a stone of 75 cts and only charge $6.00 for it. Even if the material was free, I would spend at least 4-6 hours on a stone that size, and would sure hate to work for $1.00 per hr.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prolly alot! I know I would see that picture and think real. Thats why I bought a refractometer to identify them. I honestly think anyone who is buying expensive stones buy a refractometer. They are 100-120$ (I got mine used for 55$) and worth not getting scammed out of a 600$ fake stone for sure. My fakes were never Forsterite though, they were all ways synthetic corrundum (spelling) or synthetic spinel. I still have them actually. They returned my money and never asked for the stones back, wich tells me they KNEW they were fake. So I use them as a reference now.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well what the seller told me in the e-mails was, he bought 200ct rough years ago and had it cut in his area 7 yrs ago into the 75ct stone (the biggest they could get out of the 200ct rough). He gave me the number of the guy who cut it (its a jewelry store in FL) and I called to verify what he said. The cutter actually remembered the stone. We will be using him to recut my moms chipped tanzanite because I like his cutting on the ametrine. ANywho, he was selling the stuff in his safe to make ends meet. He had coins, small stones, this stone, and other odds and ends for sale as well. There were only 2 people including me who bid on the stone.

It prolly cost him a few hundred dollars just to have this stone cut....so I KNOW he lost money...ALOT of it on selling this stone.

chris Hart

Rough_Rock
I wouldn''t trust this stone at all without a lab report. i would take "morecarats" advice and definetly send it off. If you truly believe that it is worth $2000 like your jeweler said then it should be no problem spending extra for confirmation. You only paid $6 for a stone that claims to be a natural 75ct. ametrine from anahi mine on a site thats sells more fake gems than any other?? This is one of those if it sounds to good to be true then...

I am still trying to figure out how to PM on this site but can''t seem to find it. I would like to send you, "Tropicgal", all the info we have collected from natural ametrine in the lab and all pertinant info regarding synthetic and treated ametrine collected at our offices in the last 15 years. I actually did a summary thats a quick read but it''s a pdf. IfI had to guess I would say that is a treated ametrine 95% sure
Chris Hart

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its ok, I dont know how to recieve PMS either LOL. Like I said before, I still love it and thats all that matters. Its a cool coversation piece!
Now if I paid 200 for it, and bought it expeciting it to be real I would be more concerned about it.

I am going to take it to the gemologist in this area in the future. He will beable to give an accurate ID of it cause he has all the goodies to check it. I have recieved a few referrals to him from the jewlers in the area. It is 75$ for the ID. Prolly after christmas when I have an extra 75$ to spend.

chris Hart

Rough_Rock
I hope by chance that it is real. Trust me I do. Please make sure and let me know if and when you get a cert. I would be happy if it was.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 12:28:24 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
Prolly alot! I know I would see that picture and think real. Thats why I bought a refractometer to identify them. I honestly think anyone who is buying expensive stones buy a refractometer. They are 100-120$ (I got mine used for 55$) and worth not getting scammed out of a 600$ fake stone for sure. My fakes were never Forsterite though, they were all ways synthetic corrundum (spelling) or synthetic spinel. I still have them actually. They returned my money and never asked for the stones back, wich tells me they KNEW they were fake. So I use them as a reference now.
A little knowledge can be dangerous.

A refractometer will be useful in identifying simulants, but usually itsn''t going to help you with synthetics. Synthetic corundum, for example, has the exact same refractive index as natural ocrundum (the synthetic is, after all, real corundum). The same holds for synthetic quartz, which can one of the most difficult synthetics to identify.

Synthetic spinel does tend to have a slightly higher refractive index than natural spinel, so a refractometer can be useful in this case.

One of the first things that gemologists learn is that single tests are rarely conclusive. They are data points that need to be confirmed by further testing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris & Tropic,
There is no longer any PM function on PS for various reasons.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results