shape
carat
color
clarity

To match his eyes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 7:17:38 PM
Author: AustenNut
Movie Zombie,

Have you been able to find any examples of stones that you would consider high quality? I haven''t done an extensive search, but when I saw the stones with the big price tags, they just were totally off in terms of color. I was thinking that perhaps the nature of the color desired here was one of the things that was suppressing the price. But perhaps I am wrong and I would love to see finer examples in this color range.
This is my thought as well, AustenNut. This color of spinel may be a bargain, so the difficulty will be finding a stone with an awesome cut as well as the correct color. We might end up with another weeks-long search, aka Freke''s search for blue spinel a while back.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think a spinel might be your best bet too. And the fact that you are looking for one with a little gray in it might very well bring the price down. Usually with color stones, stones with pure colors without modifiers are higher priced.

Fly Girl is right, it might take a while to find the right stone. But I think the end result will be worth the wait.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome spinel of any color is going to have an awesome price.......blue/grey may not fetch the price of red, but if its got good crystal, color, cut, then its going to be more that $100 per carat. i''ve seen what $100/carat will buy from a wholesaler live and in person and i wasn''t impressed with it....much less for an e-ring. looking for fab spinel online could take a life time. personally, i''d probably work with a jeweler who can have palagem send them items to be previewed. yes, its going to cost. but this is an e-ring. and if he''s not in a hurry, there''s always tucson in february[?] and he could get someone to shop it for him. a lot will depend on budget and my advice is to get the best bang for the buck by getting educated about what constitutes a good stone for whatever stone is the choice....diamond, spinel, sapphire.....and then get the best his budget will allow. lots of inclusions, extinction, and windowing do not a fab e-ring make.

mz

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 8:57:15 PM
Author: movie zombie
awesome spinel of any color is going to have an awesome price.......blue/grey may not fetch the price of red, but if its got good crystal, color, cut, then its going to be more that $100 per carat. i''ve seen what $100/carat will buy from a wholesaler live and in person and i wasn''t impressed with it....much less for an e-ring. looking for fab spinel online could take a life time. personally, i''d probably work with a jeweler who can have palagem send them items to be previewed. yes, its going to cost. but this is an e-ring. and if he''s not in a hurry, there''s always tucson in february[?] and he could get someone to shop it for him. a lot will depend on budget and my advice is to get the best bang for the buck by getting educated about what constitutes a good stone for whatever stone is the choice....diamond, spinel, sapphire.....and then get the best his budget will allow. lots of inclusions, extinction, and windowing do not a fab e-ring make.

mz
That sounds like a plan, mz!
35.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Your future fiancee sounds like a sweetheart and a romantic. What a beautiful idea!

If I were you I would also consider a star sapphire. A light bluish gray one with a good sharp star.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 9:32:52 PM
Author: glitterata
Your future fiancee sounds like a sweetheart and a romantic. What a beautiful idea!

If I were you I would also consider a star sapphire. A light bluish gray one with a good sharp star.

That is a good idea!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a blue/grey star sapphire......now that''s a thought worth entertaining!

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, I’ll search for aquamarine, sapphire and spinel since they all come in those colours. Ooh, I love the idea of the blue gray star sapphire. It’s going to look super in a bezeled ring.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

hapless_groom

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody. This has been a very helpful start. I''ve got at least one gem showing to go to in the next couple weeks and I''ll be looking into where else I can go in the Boston area. Let me know if you find anything else or have any more ideas. I''ll keep checking back here.

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
Hapless Groom,

Any updates? I''d love to hear how your search is going. Good luck!

hapless_groom

Rough_Rock

Update!

So I ended up going with a Sapphire. It doesn''t quite match the "match hit eyes" specification but it worked out perfectly. You guys gave me some wonderful ideas and I''m definitely going to use some for later gifts.

She did say yes by the way. :)

inHand_1.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring. Thanks so much for the update.

Congratulations to you both!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s beautiful!! Did you end up buying that at the gem show?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and that''s a gorgeous ring.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, congrats!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Nice setting and I love the colour of the stone.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! And what a beautiful color sapphire. Glad the two of you are enjoying it!

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
It''s such a pretty ring! Thanks for sharing. Congrats!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats!

mz

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic ring!
36.gif

-A

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Stone!! Congrats and TFS!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results