shape
carat
color
clarity

To match his eyes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hapless_groom

Rough_Rock
I'm looking into engagement rings and my girlfriend has been very specific on certain things while leaving others up to me. She is wanting a white gold/platinum band with a gem the color of my eyes. Problem is I don't know the first thing about gems or where to start looking. If you could suggest a gem that fits or point me in a good direction to find them, I would be most appreciative. :)

Here's a couple eye pics

imgnotfound.jpg

imgnotfound.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, what a sweet fiance!

Unfortunately, I can''t see the pictures
7.gif

hapless_groom

Rough_Rock
Yeah. I''m working on that now.

hapless_groom

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the multiple posts. Hopefully this one works.

eyepic.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have grey blue eyes (like me!!), so a light blue sapphire might fit the bill.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe an aqua that''s on the greyer side? Bonus: It will be cheaper since grey isn''t valued so much in an aqua. Not so bonus: It''s not as hard-wearing as the sapphire.

Perhaps there''s a spinel that could be grey?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2009 2:52:36 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Maybe an aqua that''s on the greyer side? Bonus: It will be cheaper since grey isn''t valued so much in an aqua. Not so bonus: It''s not as hard-wearing as the sapphire.

Actually quite the opposite is true. Grey in aqua doesn''t lower it''s value at all. It''s value lies in deeper tones, regardless of saturation of color (RW talks about this in his book). Aqua is a very good idea, but that color would be more expensive, and not durable for an everyday e-ring.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 2:54:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Actually quite the opposite is true. Grey in aqua doesn''t lower it''s value at all. It''s value lies in deeper tones, regardless of saturation of color (RW talks about this in his book). Aqua is a very good idea, but that color would be more expensive, and not durable for an everyday e-ring.
Hmm, learn something new every day.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely idea! I''d definitely go with Spinel or Sapphire.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for sapphire because of the durability factor.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Blue grey diamond would fit the bill.................

cheers--Sharon

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I immediately thought Spinel when I saw the color of your eyes.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How romantic! Your eyes look like Moonstones to me.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2009 4:58:29 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I vote for sapphire because of the durability factor.
Do you think that Sapphire is more durable than Spinel? Spinel is only an 8 for hardness while Sapp is a 9 is that it?

But Spinel sparkles more than Sapphire...so I''d look at both.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/19/2009 5:36:42 PM
Author: Jypsie
I immediately thought Spinel when I saw the color of your eyes.

I did too!

-A

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 2:54:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Maybe an aqua that's on the greyer side? Bonus: It will be cheaper since grey isn't valued so much in an aqua. Not so bonus: It's not as hard-wearing as the sapphire.

Perhaps there's a spinel that could be grey?
Actually quite the opposite is true. Grey in aqua doesn't lower it's value at all. It's value lies in deeper tones, regardless of saturation of color (RW talks about this in his book). Aqua is a very good idea, but that color would be more expensive, and not durable for an everyday e-ring.
I really don't think color grading aqua is quite that cut and dry TL.

I agree that sapphire, spinel and aqua are your best choices.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
blue/grey spinel. hard enough to be worn 24/7 but a QUALITY one is going to cost you. not any more than a QUALITY diamond though. and i gotta say that if you go QUALITY with that color....no extinction, no windowing, some big $.....you''re going to have an e-ring that will be a stunner. congrats! she said yes or you wouldn''t be looking!

mz

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I also think that a blue spinel would fit your eye color well.

Here is a picture of a greyish blue spinel from Art Cut Gems. Link

Spinn2071_th.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for spinel.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I vote for spinel too.

Although if she only want a tiny stone grey blue diamonds would be lovely too...

Here''s one that''s 3mm for $1650 USD.

2845_di_image_50f10.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
A chubby pear 4.04 X 3.96 X 1.66 for $3550 USD.

1chubby.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d just like to add that you''ll have to see the stone in person for this, so online might not be the best idea for shopping, as colors you see on the screen (and many folks here can testify to that) can be a whole lot different than those you actually see IRL. And she sounds very specific (that the color has to match as closely as possible to your eyes), so buying in the shop might be easier. If you opt for that, make sure the store you choose has competent people inside who know a lot about gems, not just white diamonds, and can provide you with as many stones as possible to choose from. BTW, does she have (or you, for that matter) any idea about the size of the stone, or design that would suggest a certain size? Any preferences in terms of shape? Those things might limit some options too, as some varieties rarely come in sizes above a certain mark, or are rarely cut in certain shapes (but you can always have something custom cut to solve that one).

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
What an interesting idea for a stone for an engagement ring. I vote spinel or sapphire as well.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
What a cool stone search. Can''t wait to see what you choose!
9.gif

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
I think the oval sapphire that AustenNut posted is perfect! However, if you have some artistic license to go more gray or more green....

Top: Gray Sapphire from Cherry Picked
Middle: Montana Sapphire from Jeff White Gemstones
Bottom: Aquamarine from Jeff White

Attachments

• 2 Match His Eyes.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 190

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of those spinels are a lovely match!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the color of many of the links provided......however, quality spinel is difficult to find and can be $1k per carat or more. i like the blue/grey diamond idea as well. since this is an e-ring, please make sure to do a LOT of research. having seen affordable spinel and high quality spinel, i can tell you the difference is night and day. ditto re sapphires. you might find a nice montana sapphire as well. shopping online as mentioned has its hazards, but it is a great way to educated as to what constitutes a quality stone. remember: you get what you pay for. and, yes, there is something for every budget just like in the world of diamonds.....but most women want a quality stone for an e-ring and in the world of color those aren''t cheap.

mz

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Movie Zombie,

Have you been able to find any examples of stones that you would consider high quality? I haven''t done an extensive search, but when I saw the stones with the big price tags, they just were totally off in terms of color. I was thinking that perhaps the nature of the color desired here was one of the things that was suppressing the price. But perhaps I am wrong and I would love to see finer examples in this color range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results