shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to get your flu vaccination...or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
It''s that time of year again. Time to get your flu shot. Vaccination remains the single most effective preventive measure available against influenza, and can prevent many illnesses and deaths. Each year some choose to take a chance and forgo the influenza vaccination. Do you get flu vaccine yearly?

For the last two years, I''ve gotten flu vaccinations, and both times I felt sick afterwards! Now, I know it''s a myth that the flu shot can cause the flu. I think I''m one of the rare cases, where people get a slight fever, muscle aches, and feel unwell for a day or two. But it lasts longer than a day or two. I felt sick for a couple days both times. I talked myself into getting the vaccine for the last two years because it''s recommended. Last year after feeling sick AGAIN, I vowed to never get the flu vaccine again! Then I start reading information on how beneficial the vaccine is and think I should get the shot!
34.gif
Now I''m so confused! What should I do?
33.gif
Do you get flu vaccine?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
In years past (before the shortage most recently), I always got a flu shot. People always kind of teased me until I told them my reason why I got the darn shot...that I PERSONALLY don''t care if I got the flu. But I am really paranoid about GIVING it to someone else ever since someone a long time ago mentioned "What if you have a pregnant woman sitting in a plane next to you and you give it to her?" I don''t know...somehow getting some poor pregnant woman sick (and possibly harming the baby) just didn''t sit well with me. I travel so darned much that I figure I should get the shot so I''m not a public hazard.

For the last 2 or 3 years, I have not gotten the shot since there was a shortage and obviously the elderly need it more than I do. But now that I will be that pregnant woman on a plane, I''m debating. I haven''t researched whether it''s safe or not, but your post reminded me that I''d better get on that.

I don''t think I answered your question, did I?
40.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have gotten one the past couple of years but never did before that. I think this is early to get one, you need it to last through March, right? Not sure if it is going to stay effective that long. My kids get them because of asthma type issues. I went my whole life without getting one til a year or so ago when I got nailed by a really terrible flu. I know it does not cover all strains but I might get one anyway, if I can!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Here in Australia we have had the worst flu season in a long while. I think 4 children died (I don''t mean to be alarmist) and in my state 2 healthy 30 something people died. This is rare but it sent a lot of people into panic.
I always have a flu shot as do my entire family as my husband is a doctor and firmly believes he ''brings'' viruses home.
My daughter who had the shot has been diagnosed last night with bacterial pneumonia following a respiratory virus and she is not well poor love.
So my answer is yes i definitely do have the flu shot but you can still get other things as well.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
No, TGal, you didn't answer my question! But you did make me feel guilty about possibly giving the flu to a pregnant lady! Humph! Well, that's reason right there to get the darn shot!
3.gif

Info for the pregnant PS ladies - "Pregnant women are at risk for influenza complications, and all women who are pregnant or will be pregnant during influenza season should be vaccinated."

Hmmm...after rereading that part, maybe I should get vaccinated.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got them when I was in college, but since then I haven''t, like TG said due to shortages I''d rather they go to people in society who need it most. I have been fortunate enough not to have been ill really with anything besides maybe one or two colds per year... actually this post reminds me I''m due for a tetanus booster (aren''t they only good for 10 years?)
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 1:08:31 AM
Author: snlee
No, TGal, you didn''t answer my question! But you did make me feel guilty about possibly giving the flu to a pregnant lady! Humph! Well, that''s reason right there to get the darn shot!
3.gif

Info for the pregnant PS ladies - ''Pregnant women are at risk for influenza complications, and all women who are pregnant or will be pregnant during influenza season should be vaccinated.''

Thanks snlee. I have my 2nd prenatal appointment next week and I will make a mental note to ask and come back and share what info I get.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
df, I know that the flu vaccine is recommended for people with asthma. I've had mild asthma all my life. Another reason I should probably get vaccinated. You are right; it is a little early to get vaccinated. I'm fortunate that my company is administering the vaccine at no cost in October, November, and December. A notice just went out recently so it made me think about it. So I'm about a month early on this post! Oops! My subject line should be "It's almost time..."

katebar, how scary! I'm also sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she gets better soon!

monarch, tetanus booster, yes, it lasts about 10 years. I just got mine a few months ago.

Thanks guys. Guess I should get vaccinated this year and just suck it up if I don't feel well after.
14.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took Nanny to get her''s a while back. We had the same Doc. The Doc said I should get one too, as I was her caregiver. I think she was 93, she did just fine with it. Me?? Sick as a dog. I am an allergic type, so won''t be getting one anytime soon. My kids have asthma as well, so they get a flu shot every year. Knock on wood, no problems....

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 1:08:28 AM
Author: katebar
Here in Australia we have had the worst flu season in a long while. I think 4 children died (I don''t mean to be alarmist) and in my state 2 healthy 30 something people died. This is rare but it sent a lot of people into panic.
I always have a flu shot as do my entire family as my husband is a doctor and firmly believes he ''brings'' viruses home.
My daughter who had the shot has been diagnosed last night with bacterial pneumonia following a respiratory virus and she is not well poor love.
So my answer is yes i definitely do have the flu shot but you can still get other things as well.
Yep, what we are experiencing is the Type A flu strain. At any given time, there are heaps of strains that are in the community. If you get vaccinated for one strain, it does not protect you from other strains.

I got back from south east asia a few weeks ago and a week ago came down with flu like symptoms (muscle aches and weaknes, nausea, fever, chills, throbbing headache). I was sent to the pathologist and tests revealed it was the flu (I can tell you I didn''t enjoy having that tube shoved up my nostrils to collect nasal fluid!!)

Where I work, we have free flu injections for staff members. It might cost the firm lots of money to vaccinate us but it costs a lot more money when staff have to take weeks off to recover from the flu. I''m a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to injections but after having to endure the flu this year, I will have the shot next year. That 2 second jab is better than the week of feeling like total crap.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im spose to get it every year.
out of the last 5 years iv got the shot 3 of them and got the flu all 5 years so dunno if im going too this year or not.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Never had a flu shot-never will. My ob/gyn didnt even ask if I wanted one when I was pregnant but had she, I would have said no due to thermisol.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep, get mine every year. Have to actually. Although not a law for health care professionals here but it is specified in our policy that if an influenza outbreak occurs & you have NOT been vaccinated, you WILL be sent home WITHOUT pay. I get the fever, chills, & general malaise associated with the vaccine so I make sure I get it when I have a few days off to recover from it. It only lasts a day or so but what a pain to lose those days. I suppose though, if you got the flu it would be a hell of a lot worse. I had the flu quite some time ago & was sick for almost 2 wks. I wasnt living in Ontario then & my co-workers were dropping off soup & food for me cause I couldnt go out. Well, I couldnt stand either so driving was out & not very nice to go out in public when so sick. My equalibrium was so off I smacked my head on the dresser cause I misjudged how close it was & ended up with a huge knot on my forehead. LOL I learned my lesson & have gotten the shot every year its been offered.

Dont think that just cause there''s some flu on the other side of the ocean & it wont get to you, remember, it only takes **one** person to get on a plane & bring it to your location. Be protected.

Judy
:)

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 10:11:15 AM
Author: VegasAngel
Nope. Never had a flu shot-never will. My ob/gyn didnt even ask if I wanted one when I was pregnant but had she, I would have said no due to thermisol.

I didn't know what this was and thus had to look it up. For anyone who is interested, here is a link about thimerosal.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
This topic comes up each year, at work or among friends.

I think there''s confusion about a bad cold vs. the flu. People catch a bad cold and say the flu shot doesn''t work or makes them sick.

Seems like there''s always a lot of misinformation about flu shots and innoculations. I''ve heard about chiropractors telling patients not to innoculate their children against childhood diseases. I have a real problem with this. I hear some childhood diseases are starting to make a comeback.

Z.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll be getting one. I haven''t *knock on wood* gotten the flu whether I''ve had the vaccine or not, but I try to get the shot every year.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 12:40:57 PM
Author: zdrastvootya

I think there''s confusion about a bad cold vs. the flu. People catch a bad cold and say the flu shot doesn''t work or makes them sick.

Seems like there''s always a lot of misinformation about flu shots and innoculations. I''ve heard about chiropractors telling patients not to innoculate their children against childhood diseases. I have a real problem with this. I hear some childhood diseases are starting to make a comeback.

Z.
Some parents arent vaccinating their kids because of the fear of vaccinations causing autism. While I wont get my daughter a flu shot she does get her major vaccinations. My opinion is that we will definitely see a comeback in diseases we wiped out by vaccinating. Lots of unprotected children these days.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Never get one, and haven''t had the flu in a long long time. Tons of Vitamin C and lots and lots of handwashing.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
snlee - if I were you I would definitely get one. If you have mild asthma, you kind of don''t know when/if it could get worse, and if it does, trust me you DEFINITELY don''t want flu on top of that. I''ve been there and it wasn''t pretty. I''ll be getting mine this year.

FYI, for others at increased risk, the other vaccine you should seriously consider is pertussis (whooping cough). We mostly got vaccinated as kids but it wears off and they now have one for adults. I got whooping cough last winter and I was SO SICK. Plus it takes forever to go away if they don''t catch it with antibiotics early (sometimes even then). I know the vaccine was backordered for a while, but probably worth asking your Dr. about if you''re interested and/or in a high risk group (like asthma).

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 1:12:17 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 9/5/2007 1:08:31 AM
Author: snlee
No, TGal, you didn''t answer my question! But you did make me feel guilty about possibly giving the flu to a pregnant lady! Humph! Well, that''s reason right there to get the darn shot!
3.gif

Info for the pregnant PS ladies - ''Pregnant women are at risk for influenza complications, and all women who are pregnant or will be pregnant during influenza season should be vaccinated.''

Thanks snlee. I have my 2nd prenatal appointment next week and I will make a mental note to ask and come back and share what info I get.
TGal, you should definitely get the flu shot. I got it for the first time last year when I was pregnant. I didn''t have any adverse effects from it and my baby came out fine--plus I didn''t get sick the entire pregnancy! Definitely ask your doctor about it. My OB practically insisted that I get it. But now that I''m not pregnant, I don''t know if I''ll get one this year!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 12:40:57 PM
Author: zdrastvootya

Z.
That would have to be one of my biggest peeves. I hate it when people at work have a sniffle or a cold and say "I''ve got the flu". I don''t know if they honestly believe that''s what the flu is or whether they are just trying to get sympathy

It you are allergic to eggs, the flu vaccination is not recommended.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get it every year, but I'm in a higher risk group because of my diabetes. Still, I think it's worthwhile, and I see more and more people getting vaccinated around here every year. It makes sense for our family too, as my husband travels extensively, one daughter is in University and the other in high school--all great places to pick up bugs!
14.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I work in a health care setting and will be getting a flu shot. They are provided by the hospital. We don't get ours until later in the season. I am a mental health therapist and I have clients who come in ill, on a regular basis. I really wish they would call and cancel. I just can't afford to get sick myself. I have medical problems and can become ill easily. The flu shot has helped me avoid the preventable. Now viruses are another story
29.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I get one every year. Husband and kids as well. Many years ago when husband was 35 he was flat on his back in bed with the flu for a solid week. Our son was 2 and I was pregnant and working full time. That was NOT a fun winter. He claims he doesn''t mind getting the flu, but I sure mind taking care of him when he is sick and he hasn''t done everything he could to prevent it. We have been vacinated every year since, and so far we have not caught the flu again.

My grandmother died in a nursing home that same winter, so she never met my daughter who was born that spring. I named my daughter after her, and it is a bit sad she never knew. We can''t be sure why she died, but it was most likely the flu. It kills old people and lays out young healthy people in bed for days. This is a dangerous disease, and I don''t want to catch it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I started getting the flu shot a few years ago because I spent a lot of time with my now deceased MIL who was in her 80s. Don''t know if I''ll get one this year or not, I''ll wait to hear about availability before I make the choice.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not think most vaccines have thimerisol in them any longer, I could be wrong but I think it has been removed. Flu shots have albumen, which is egg related, so people allergic to eggs should not have the shot. When the shortages were really bad, I gave up having one, but my kids definitely needed them. I have heard you cannot get ill from the shot but know people who swear they do...I did not get sick but since it is intramuscular it hurt my arm terribly.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I never have gone for a flu shot. I''ve never taken my son for one either. My DH had one through his job one year, but that was it. None of us have ever had the flu that we can recall.

I have just jinxed us all, haven''t I?!
40.gif
5.gif
32.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Yup, I always get it. Like was mentioned, I don''t want to catch it and give it to someone else... and maybe indirectly cause the death of some elderly person. Last year I felt icky after it but it''s worth it. The flu shot can cause flu-like symptoms but does not cause the flu. Also, current scientific evidence refutes the idea that it causes Autism.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I have ever had one but I do remember my sister claiming her''s gave her flu like symptoms.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get a flu shot every year and I do get a mild reaction from it. Nausea for a day or too. They help me a lot. If I do happen to catch the flu, it doesn''t last as long and the symptoms are milder.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results