shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo or the Legacy??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Aw! I had second thoughts about my first ring too - It took me like 7 months to change it and realize it wasn''t what I loved. (now its changed and i couldnt be happier!) Trust your instincts... if you just aren''t in love with it, you aren''t and thats ok!!! You are NOT and ingrate in the least. Get what you love darlin''!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
for me, Legacy all the way! Totally not a Novo fan... I''d much rather have a fab cushion in the Ritani endless love setting.

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
I love the Novo, but the reason I didn't get one is because the cutting seemed all over the place. The one I was looking at had a depth in the high 50s yet there were others with a depths all the way to the high 60s. It just didn't seem like they really had any set guidelines for them, which made me worry that I would end up with a dud. But...if I had the patience (and a helpful SA) to sort through them and find a beautiful one, I would personally go with a Novo over Legacy for that gorgeous delicate setting.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Novo!!!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the support and sharing your experience.
36.gif
because I am feeling rather guilty .....
38.gif

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 3:10:00 PM
Author: julesbeth
Aw! I had second thoughts about my first ring too - It took me like 7 months to change it and realize it wasn''t what I loved. (now its changed and i couldnt be happier!) Trust your instincts... if you just aren''t in love with it, you aren''t and thats ok!!! You are NOT and ingrate in the least. Get what you love darlin''!

Oops! I forgot to quote the original post. julesbeth, thanks for the support and sharing your experience!!
35.gif

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 3:51:59 PM
Author: lisamarie
I love the Novo, but the reason I didn''t get one is because the cutting seemed all over the place. The one I was looking at had a depth in the high 50s yet there were others with a depths all the way to the high 60s. It just didn''t seem like they really had any set guidelines for them, which made me worry that I would end up with a dud. But...if I had the patience (and a helpful SA) to sort through them and find a beautiful one, I would personally go with a Novo over Legacy for that gorgeous delicate setting.
oh my!! this is completely outside of my knowledge zone! gosh ....... diamonds, like women (?!?) are complicated!
14.gif

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 4:45:06 PM
Author: mb418
Date: 6/27/2008 3:51:59 PM

Author: lisamarie

I love the Novo, but the reason I didn''t get one is because the cutting seemed all over the place. The one I was looking at had a depth in the high 50s yet there were others with a depths all the way to the high 60s. It just didn''t seem like they really had any set guidelines for them, which made me worry that I would end up with a dud. But...if I had the patience (and a helpful SA) to sort through them and find a beautiful one, I would personally go with a Novo over Legacy for that gorgeous delicate setting.

oh my!! this is completely outside of my knowledge zone! gosh ....... diamonds, like women (?!?) are complicated!
14.gif

...and fancy shapes are more complicated still. Just make sure you see as many Novos as you can, which shouldn''t be a problem if you''re going to New York. The Tiffany by my house only had 4, and the SA could only request 1 or 2 at a time for me to see so it was hard for me to compare. If I were you, I''ll call first and have them pull some specifically for you to look at.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the legacy..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote here for the Legacy!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the look of the Legacy.

oceanlove

Rough_Rock
They are both fabulous...but my vote is for the Novo!!

And you don''t seem unappreciative at all so don''t feel bad!
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hands down legacy for me!!! I just love the cut and you really can''t get anything like it since it''s proprietary. The setting is also divine and I just love it in person every time I look at it.

ringshopper2008

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 7:01:21 AM
Author:mb418
I have been reading a lot of posts here regarding the Novo and the Legacy. If you were to choose one, which one would you pick as an engagement ring?
If you already owned the Novo or the legacy, post a pic (or 15!!) and brag about how nice it is!

If you have tried on either one in person, what do you think about the quality of the cut?

On picture, Tiffany Novo (Left), Tiffany Legacy (Right)
I love the novo...

here is the one I bought

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-shopping-tiffany-co.83823/page-3

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 11:52:58 AM
I have a question about browing engagement rings in Tiffany (or in general). Since I don''t know exactly what I wanted, do I just tell them my price range and what I am interested? My fiancee bought the Lucida and proposed, so I haven''t actually had the experience of trying different engagement rings in Tiffany.

I don''t really understand the color, clarity issue, and it will be likely that I wouldn''t visit a lot of Tiffany stores before making the upgrade since the upgrade has to be done in New York, at the flagship store, because the assoaciate told me on the phone that I purchased the ring outside of the United States, and they don''t usually do international upgrades, so according to her manager, it is like a one-off, and they could do an upgrade only if I go to New York.

So I am thinking if I decide to go ahead with the upgrade, I might phone the associate in advance about my choices so perhaps she would be able to transfer some selections to the flagship store. I might combine this with a holiday trip.

So back to my question ... (sorry about the looooong explanation!), what do I need to tell them and what would I need to know? My fiancee doesn''t know much about diamonds either. If I just tell them my budget and my preference for which design (e.g. Novo or legacy), will they give me choices to look at, maybe a bigger carat size but a lower color/clarify, or smaller carat size or higher quality?

Does it all depend on what they have in stock in the actual store when I visit on the day?

Mb, first, you cannot wait much longer if you are going to trade it in. I suggest you book a trip to the flagship store ASAP if you can confirm that your local Tiffany will not allow you the trade. This is why I asked you what Tiffany you normally shop at? If it is true that you have to go to NY, you probably need to call them and find out what is the latest you can go and still exchange, b/c that date might be fast approaching. You are already outside the exchange period as well, so I would get there soon. Also, you need to put the Lucida back in the box and don''t wear it. If it shows too much wear and tear, they might give you a hard time about exchanging it. I don''t believe they will let you borrow an ering to take home. They might sell you another one which they will allow you to exchange, but they probably won''t allow you to put one or two on rotation while you wear them around for a while. No retailer would, right? :) I would stick with getting the ring you obviously love, NOVO. If you do have to go to NY to get the ring, then they will have a great selection of rings, and you shouldn''t have any trouble. But since you are making the trip specifically for this purpose, I would schedule the appointment with them and have them bring in at least 4 or 5 Novos in your price range for you to see and compare. But do call them and find out how much time you have, b/c I suspect it''s running out.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I would choose the Novo for myself. As another poster remarked, you see Legacy (or knockoffs) on every other hand. If I were going for the Legacy look I''d probably consign the Lucida at Pearlmans, and take the money and buy a larger diamond in a knockoff setting.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 12:34:40 PM
Date: 6/27/2008 12:10:53 PM

Author: erica k

If you''re planning this trip well in advance, you can definitely ask them to bring in as many rings that fit your specifications as possible.

Since you''re going to do a trade-in, I think there are specific rules about how much more you have to spend. I''m sure one of the Tiffany owners will know. You could also try consigning the ring with Signed Pieces. I''ve seen 1ct Lucidas (H-I-VS1-ish) go for around $10,000. It depends on Tiffany''s trade-in policy whether it''s worth it to do this or to consign and accept the losses.

Anyway, at the very least you should give them a range of color, carat and clarity. I''m not familiar with the Novo specs, so maybe one of the owners could help with this.

As for color, Tiffany doesn''t go below I, so you''ll probably save money by sticking around the F-I range (I''m partial to F-G). Anything above VS1 is overkill, and again, Tiffany doesn''t go below VS2, so maybe keep that range around VS1-VS2. This way, you can go bigger in carat weight without sacrificing too much in color and clarity.

In the end, you need to rely on your eyes to judge the stone, especially for non-RBs. Ask the SAs if you can look at the rings next to a window (their lighting can be so deceptive, especially with color).

Sounds like a fun project!

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Really appreciate it. They said I would need to spend double the amount that we originally spent. So this condition definitely makes me think (twice or 10000000 times) harder before taking the plunge. Need to save too now!
25.gif
Also, only one upgrade is allowed.

One thing I don''t like about Tiffany is that they don''t have a universal policy. I really don''t want to fly all the way to NY in order to do an upgrade (though a vacation there will be so nice
28.gif
). I mean they should back up all of the products that they sold everywhere in the world, no??
14.gif

They will also need a day or two to appraise the ring. I don''t know if they will give me a low number, so it depends on that as well.

Has anybody done any upgrade in Tiffany? Please share your experience! Thanks!!
36.gif

Yours wouldn''t be an upgrade, right? You are simply changing your mind about the ring you want. They are waiving the 30 day return policy,--at least that was my understanding from your post? That they would allow you to exchange the ring if you went to the NY store?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t feel guilty-it just sounds like the lucida isn''t for you. Go with what your heart desires-it sounds like it might the novo in this case.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Both are lovely, but, I would choose the Legacy.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
What a delicious dilemma. I''ll throw in another Legacy vote. I like the way the melee is set on the Legacy and I love the antique-y faceting pattern on the Legacy cushion. Best to try them both on to find out which style suits you in real life, as sometimes things look great in pictures, but just don''t seem to translate on the hand.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Love the Novo!

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 6:32:20 PM
Author: Isabelle

If you''re planning this trip well in advance, you can definitely ask them to bring in as many rings that fit your specifications as possible.

Since you''re going to do a trade-in, I think there are specific rules about how much more you have to spend. I''m sure one of the Tiffany owners will know. You could also try consigning the ring with Signed Pieces. I''ve seen 1ct Lucidas (H-I-VS1-ish) go for around $10,000. It depends on Tiffany''s trade-in policy whether it''s worth it to do this or to consign and accept the losses.

Anyway, at the very least you should give them a range of color, carat and clarity. I''m not familiar with the Novo specs, so maybe one of the owners could help with this.

As for color, Tiffany doesn''t go below I, so you''ll probably save money by sticking around the F-I range (I''m partial to F-G). Anything above VS1 is overkill, and again, Tiffany doesn''t go below VS2, so maybe keep that range around VS1-VS2. This way, you can go bigger in carat weight without sacrificing too much in color and clarity.

In the end, you need to rely on your eyes to judge the stone, especially for non-RBs. Ask the SAs if you can look at the rings next to a window (their lighting can be so deceptive, especially with color).

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Really appreciate it. They said I would need to spend double the amount that we originally spent. So this condition definitely makes me think (twice or 10000000 times) harder before taking the plunge. Need to save too now!
25.gif

One thing I don''t like about Tiffany is that they don''t have a universal policy. I really don''t want to fly all the way to NY in order to do an upgrade (though a vacation there will be so nice
28.gif
). I mean they should back up all of the products that they sold everywhere in the world, no??
14.gif

They will also need a day or two to appraise the ring. I don''t know if they will give me a low number, so it depends on that as well.

36.gif

Yours wouldn''t be an upgrade, right? You are simply changing your mind about the ring you want. They are waiving the 30 day return policy,--at least that was my understanding from your post? That they would allow you to exchange the ring if you went to the NY store?
Hi Isabelle, unfortunately it will have to be an upgrade.
7.gif
My fiancee called again to make sure and to see if there''s anything they can do about the spending 2x rule, and they said it is the policy, so .......... seems to me that Tiffany actually doesn''t encourage upgrades, considering the strict rules (2x timing, and 1 time upgrade only). So yeah ..... I am definitely deep in thoughts these days! However, since it is an upgrade, there will be no time limit as to when I have to do the upgrade by.

Funny thing is, my fiancee teased me and said "why don''t I get you the Atlas 18K ring with diamonds on the bands (see another post) in Singapore (where he is at currently) NOW?!? and not do the upgrade?" before he was like let''s wait 3 months to order th Atlas ring so you will get it cheaper in the UAE. So I teased back .. "so I see that''s the tactic to get what I want faster!?!? to ask for something that is outrageously more!!" --> for all the married gals out there, is that the secret to a successful and happy marriage!?!? hehe
11.gif
Anyway, so I told him, no that''s ok ... we will use the $ towards the upgrade instead!
5.gif

All joking aside, ultimately I want both of us to be happy, so we will discuss it some more. My mind is so wrapped up in the middle of it that I am all for the upgrade (seriously, I think I dreamed about it last night!), but it will definitely be a lot of $$ to be invested in Tiffany. Personally, I won''t consider selling the Lucida because I feel that to get an upgrade in Tiffany has a different sentiment to me than to selling the ring. I know that the result is the same (I would be without the original e-ring regardless if I traded it in or sold it), but I simply can''t bear to sell the ring on ebay or other places.
15.gif

So any Lucida fans out there!!??
36.gif
Anybody think I should just keep the lovely Lucida and maybe get an upgrade a couple of years later if I still have the desire (for an anniversary, maybe??) I am asking because engagements and e-rings are all completely new areas to me. Before I don''t look at diamonds or notice other people''s engagement rings, so i think all of you are have more experiences in terms of changing/upgrade rings. Maybe I shouldn''t rush into it?

Finally have I mentioned how wonderfully informed and welcoming and fun you gals are!!?!?!?!?

Thank you!!
36.gif

mb418

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/27/2008 5:27:43 PM
Author: ringshopper2008

Date: 6/27/2008 7:01:21 AM
Author:mb418
I have been reading a lot of posts here regarding the Novo and the Legacy. If you were to choose one, which one would you pick as an engagement ring?
If you already owned the Novo or the legacy, post a pic (or 15!!) and brag about how nice it is!

If you have tried on either one in person, what do you think about the quality of the cut?

On picture, Tiffany Novo (Left), Tiffany Legacy (Right)
I love the novo...

here is the one I bought

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-shopping-tiffany-co.83823/page-3
Oh my god Oh my goodness oh my!!!

Well, the first "oh my god" is for your upcoming proposal!! I read that you will be proposing around august?!? I am so excited for both of you!! Please have her wear the ring proudly and take some gorgeous pictures!

The 2nd "oh my goodness" is for the Novo!! It''s so gorgeous!! Maybe I should take it as a sign from above that I should get the upgrade!??!
17.gif
kaka (
11.gif
)

Congratulations!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well considering that I have a lucida, they are definitely my favourite Tiffany ring and I would vote that you keep it however it doesn''t seem that you are in love with it, so I''d do what you''re happy with.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with bee*. I love the Lucida, especially its slightly wider yet tapered band, the smooth lines of the profile, and the gorgeous stone. If my husband gave me lots of money to buy a ring but his only stipulation was it had to be store-bought, I would get the Lucida in a heartbeat.

Still, it sounds like you''re really loving the Novo right now. I think you should see how you feel later on, but also trust your instincts. This would be a significant purchase, so there''s no need to decide quickly (unless, of course, you want to). I find that I change my mind quite a bit about ring styles, but ultimately am drawn to the classic modern look. If it''s about the thin band, you can always pair the Lucida with a different band. I''ve tried the solitaire on with two of my diamond bands (both thinner than the Lucida eternity band), and it looks beautiful with both. It seems to me to have more versatility than the Novo, which has a much more particular band style.

Ok, that''s my plug for the Lucida. But really, honestly, truly, get what you love.
2.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2008 4:58:34 AM
Date: 6/27/2008 6:32:20 PM

25.gif

28.gif
14.gif

36.gif

Hi Isabelle, unfortunately it will have to be an upgrade.
7.gif
My fiancee called again to make sure and to see if there''s anything they can do about the spending 2x rule, and they said it is the policy, so .......... seems to me that Tiffany actually doesn''t encourage upgrades, considering the strict rules (2x timing, and 1 time upgrade only). So yeah ..... I am definitely deep in thoughts these days! However, since it is an upgrade, there will be no time limit as to when I have to do the upgrade by.

Funny thing is, my fiancee teased me and said ''why don''t I get you the Atlas 18K ring with diamonds on the bands (see another post) in Singapore (where he is at currently) NOW?!? and not do the upgrade?'' before he was like let''s wait 3 months to order th Atlas ring so you will get it cheaper in the UAE. So I teased back .. ''so I see that''s the tactic to get what I want faster!?!? to ask for something that is outrageously more!!'' --> for all the married gals out there, is that the secret to a successful and happy marriage!?!? hehe
11.gif
Anyway, so I told him, no that''s ok ... we will use the $ towards the upgrade instead!
5.gif

All joking aside, ultimately I want both of us to be happy, so we will discuss it some more. My mind is so wrapped up in the middle of it that I am all for the upgrade (seriously, I think I dreamed about it last night!), but it will definitely be a lot of $$ to be invested in Tiffany. Personally, I won''t consider selling the Lucida because I feel that to get an upgrade in Tiffany has a different sentiment to me than to selling the ring. I know that the result is the same (I would be without the original e-ring regardless if I traded it in or sold it), but I simply can''t bear to sell the ring on ebay or other places.
15.gif

So any Lucida fans out there!!??
36.gif
Anybody think I should just keep the lovely Lucida and maybe get an upgrade a couple of years later if I still have the desire (for an anniversary, maybe??) I am asking because engagements and e-rings are all completely new areas to me. Before I don''t look at diamonds or notice other people''s engagement rings, so i think all of you are have more experiences in terms of changing/upgrade rings. Maybe I shouldn''t rush into it?

Finally have I mentioned how wonderfully informed and welcoming and fun you gals are!!?!?!?!?

Thank you!!
36.gif

Okay, based on this information there is an aspect of pragmatism that has to go into your thinking. When I got engaged, I would have preferred a 1 carat Tiffany RB. This was in 1997. But that was out of our budget b/c DH never subscribed to the "2 month salary rule." He never subscribed to the "1 month salary rule" come to that, but I have trained him over the past 14 years since we have been together to be more open-minded. LOL ;-) Anyway, we got what we could afford. In this case, to spend DOUBLE what he did already spend, (I know what 1 carat Lucida''s at Tiffany cost, so we are talking about him spending north of $20K total in order to get the upgrade), I think this is too much to do right at the offset of your marriage. There are so many more important things to spend money on at that time,like a new home, furniture, the honeymoon, etc. Like you said, the one time upgrade policy never expires. You can do one in 10 years time. So, to be smart about it, why don''t you consider flanking the ring with two Novo wedding bands on each side? It will look spectacular. If you were walking around with some doggie diamond ring I would maybe encourage you to sell the ring and start over. But you are walking around with a LUCIDA for crying out loud. And I will tell you that you might grow to love it more as you get older. The Lucida never would have "spoken" to me in my 20''s, but when I first saw it in my 30''s, I thought, " Now, THAT is a ring." And finally, one last thing I would leave you with is this: At the end of the day, people can chime in with different POVs about what you *should* do. But we aren''t in your shoes. We don''t have first hand knowledge of your or his financial situation or your or his philosophy on money. --Everyone''s is different. If you hate the ring you are wearing, then no amount of time will likely change that. But if you love it, and think you can live happily with it for 5 or 10 years, then I would suggest getting two thin bands or one thin band (Novo) and wear it for now. Upgrade later if you still want to. But in the final analysis you have to do what will make you and your fiance happy. Good luck to you!! :)

mb418

Shiny_Rock
I juat want to say "thank you" for all of you input.
36.gif
I have decided to keep my Lucida! It''s growing on me, and I adore its elegancy. (Congratulations to all Novo owners too. The Novos posted here are stunning)

We are going to save the $ for a ring that I already have my eyes (and heart)
30.gif
on for either an anniversary or my bday!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/27/2008 9:18:09 AM
I only have the Legacy as a RHR in a colored stone but I love it. The issue for ering choice comes down to two things:

First, do you want a solitaire or something blingier?

Second, do you want a diamond that sparkles a lot or a little?

The Legacy, particularly the one with ''side stones'' (a misnomer if ever there was one b/c ''side stones'' is code for one of the most ornately designed erings I have ever seen) is a very prominent-looking ring. But the eye-catchiness is due to the overall presentation of ring, diamond, design. The diamond itself is a modified cushion cut and heralds back to the Edwardian era. It will not sparkle the way a RB, Lucida, or Novo will. The Novo, on the other hand, is all about the cut. They set it on a thin pave band in order to accentuate the main diamond. It takes more carat weight in a Novo to create the same amount of sparkle in a RB though b/c it is a deeper cut from what I can tell. Both the Novo and the Legacy are patented cuts, but I personally think the Legacy is more important of a cut invention than the Novo. Both are beautiful. If you can decide whether you want a solitaire look or something else, that will help make your decision.

BTW, are you thinking about trading in your Lucida?
Isabelle..., are you sure about it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results