shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbesner

Rough_Rock
Trying to decide on a diamond, princess cut. I''ve had a few people telling me the only way to go is AGS triple 0.....but at the same time, I''ve read that triple zero doesn''t mean as much as it used to, since it now doesn''t take into account clarity, color, etc.

Can you guys/gals have a look at this one? Thoughts? It would likely go in the 3.9mm platinum contour setting also from BN:

http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00955181&filter_id=0

also this one:

http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00955649&filter_id=0

Thanks!!!!!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS Triple zero is a D IF (or is it FL?) with 0 light performance

Performance-based AGS 0 (not 000) means MORE than it used to (in the case of round.) Does not apply to princesses, since there is no old AGS grading system.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
AGS triple 0 means the stone has met certain high standards of polish, proportion, and symmetry. and then there is color and clarity to be considered.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
julie, you can have an AGS 000 J SI2. color and clarity are different things measured.
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 4:56:52 PM
Author: ladykemma
julie, you can have an AGS 000 J SI2. color and clarity are different things measured.
1.gif
the offical definition of AGS triple zero cannot allow for a J SI2, Q I3, etc.

kbesner

Rough_Rock
I read somewhere on this forum that AGS dropped the color/clarity requirements for their triple zero rating because the ''industry'' had started calling diamonds ''ideal'' based only on cut, so they said "if you can''t beat ''em, join ''em"...
I''ve seen two AGS reports recently for diamonds that had a triple zero rating, but had color of F and clarity of VS2...

So are the diamonds I listed in my first post automatically not good because they are not AGS rated?

Julie, thanks for listing those diamonds, but I was hoping to find a higher color rating (like F or better).

Cheers

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 5:31:00 PM

Date: 6/9/2006 5:00:20 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 6/9/2006 4:56:52 PM
1.gif
the offical definition of AGS triple zero cannot allow for a J SI2, Q I3, etc.
here is the AGS link with a sample ags 000 certificate.

http://www.agslab.com/content/sample_dqd_large.html
Ladies.......this may clear it up.

Original AGS000 meant the stone was D (0 color grade), FL/IF (0 clarity grade), and 0 grade for cut proportions.

However, many people looking at an AGS0 grading report saw 0 grade for cut proportions, 0 grade for symmetry, and 0 grade for polish, so people began referring to those stones as AGS000.

So, Julie is right that the pure definition was as she described, and LK is right about what it came to mean anecdotally.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2006 5:31:00 PM
here is the AGS link with a sample ags 000 certificate.

http://www.agslab.com/content/sample_dqd_large.html
that''s an AGS 012

the cut grade is the summation of light performance, proportion, and finish.

anyway! this isn''t really important.

So a 1+ ct princess, F+ color, minimum clarity and budget would help.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the cat fight, LK.

kbesner, we didn''t scare you away, right?
15.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/9/2006 5:35:17 PM
Author: kbesner
I read somewhere on this forum that AGS dropped the color/clarity requirements for their triple zero rating because the ''industry'' had started calling diamonds ''ideal'' based only on cut, so they said ''if you can''t beat ''em, join ''em''...
I''ve seen two AGS reports recently for diamonds that had a triple zero rating, but had color of F and clarity of VS2...

So are the diamonds I listed in my first post automatically not good because they are not AGS rated?

Julie, thanks for listing those diamonds, but I was hoping to find a higher color rating (like F or better).

Cheers
Let me help to clarify.

The AGS 0 cut grade is made up of three factors, Light Performance, Proportion Factors, and Finish, which is further subdivided into Polish and Symmetry. If all three of those factors, (four if you count the sub factors) are ideal (0) then you can get the AGS Ideal 0 cut grade that is often referred to as AGS 000. It should more accurately be refered to as AGS Ideal 0 cut grade or if you insist on using the triple 0, then AGS 000 cut grade to avoid confusion.

I am looking at an AGS Diamond Quality Document for an AGS Ideal 0 cut grade diamond of .93cts that is an F-SI1. Its AGS designation on an appraisal by and AGS appraiser would be thus, .93ct AGS 0/1/5. Some would break it down like this. One .93ct round brilliant cut diamond with an AGS Diamond Quality Document stating the diamond to be of a cut grade Ideal 0, color grade 1, and clarity grade 5. Most would also probably put the GIA equivelent grades down as well to avoid confusion for the user.

RE: I''ve seen two AGS reports recently for diamonds that had a triple zero rating, but had color of F and clarity of VS2...

I think what you are looking at is the three factors, each listed under the Cut Grade catagory with the final grade listed to the right which on the reports I have are listed as AGS Ideal 0.

RE:

No. They may or may not be since GIA does not cut grade princess cuts yet, and the vast majority of princess cuts are poorly cut. AGS is currently the only major laboratory that cut grades any thing other than rounds. Currently they cut grade princess cuts and have just released the parameters that they will use for emerald and square emerald cuts.

Wink

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 5:53:15 PM
Author: JulieN
Sorry for the cat fight, LK.

kbesner, we didn''t scare you away, right?
15.gif
oh, certainly healthy debate! we are like two gifted and talented high school students, who were both right!

kbesner

Rough_Rock
I don''t understand. GIA doesn''t rate princess cuts??? Almost every princess cut at blue nile has a GIA report. WHat am I missing???
I''m a rookie...:)

I''m looking for:

Princess cut
1 - 1.1 carat
F+ color
VS1+ clarity

Budget about 7k US max (for just the diamond)

And it would be nice to get it from blue nile since they also have a setting I like (platinum contour 3.9mm)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
gia does not give a cut grade for princess, only ags grades cut. there are very nice gia graded princess cuts out there, it''s just that ags makes it much easier to choose if you are not able to personally see the diamond or get much more information on it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results