shape
carat
color
clarity

This makes me sick...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
My darling parents rescued a puppy (well, she was 5 years ago when they adopted her) who was being bred to fight.

The dog is permanently damaged in some ways...she''s just off, ya know? But she is a sweet thing who just thrives on love. But she lives in fear of most men, especially if they wear gloves (apparently the "trainers" wear gloves).

She is a big dog, and what they did to her (not my parents) is just criminal. On the "mild" side of the stories I can tell you, is that they would take her by a leg and swing her in the air.

There had better be a special place in Hades for these dog fighters.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Oh Jas...that poor girl
7.gif
I''m glad she got a second chance with your parents..

Most of these dogs don''t get one (or can''t) because of behavioral problems.

M~

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Mandarine,

I respect your right to walk away and I do not judge anyone who does so or who crosses the street. I keep an open mind as I expect them to and I understand situations like yours as people have blatantly told me they dont like any dogs or are afraid of dogs in general. I dont walk up to any aggressive breed dog without the owners permission. I have lived in urban neighborhoods since I got Momo and part of my ideal for him was that people do not bother me when I have him around. This comes in handy when you live in a city atmosphere and do not know who is your friend or who is looking for easy targets. Most importantly he is a very obedient well behaved companion.

AmberGretchen,

I respect your position as well and your experience in dog shelters and what not. I chose to not fix him as a personal choice. Originally it was for breeding purposes as it is very hard to obtain well bred pit bulls in our area. As much as you may disagree with this, it is a cash cow business that I thought was a good idea. I have bred him once and we only sold puppies to people we knew and trusted. None ended up in a shelter as we still see most of them (minus three that live out of town/state). Since then I have decide not to breed due to new city laws against the breed. As he is 4.5 yrs old, its hard for me to comprehend fixing him. I will explore your link and appreciate your stance.

Just to stay on topic... Michael Vick needs to be taken out to sea thrown about 1000 miles from civilization!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
philber, I know this is not on-topic with this thread, but I feel that it is actually a very important part of the picture of why the Michael Vicks of the world can get their hands on dogs to fight - I would bet a lot of money that the vast majority of the pit bulls in his fighting operation and most others come from irresponsible backyard breeding of dogs, whether for that purpose or any other. With an obscene overpopulation of dogs and cats (5 million or more euthanized yearly in US shelters alone) in this country, and no regulations on spaying and neutering of pets, its ridiculously easy and cheap for thugs like Vick to get their hands on dogs that can then be used for fighting (or smaller dogs or cats to use as bait). It only stands to reason, therefore, that reducing pet overpopulation and regulating how and when dogs can be bred would reduce the ability of people like this to get their hands on dogs to do this to.

RE: your breeding and decision not to neuter Momo, I accept that it is a "cash cow business" the way that you did it, however, after spending a lot of time around show dogs as well, everyone I''ve ever spoken with said that responsible breeding is rarely a money-making enterprise. I''d be interested to know what you are defining as "well bred" pit bulls in this case. Were both parents full screened for all health issues that can occur in the breed? Did they have OFA certification of their hips and other joints and CERF certification of their eyes? Were they screened for any genetic diseases that are common to the breed? Were both parents titled in conformation and/or a dog sport such as agility, schuzhund, or tracking/hunting? Were they in some other way shown to be excellent examples of their breed? Because if not, they should not have been bred. There are millions of pit bulls sitting in shelters across the US, and some producers of top of the line champions in the various pit bull breeds (APBT, Am Staff) have even refused to breed their champions except on the minimal basis needed to continue their genetic lines because of the outrageous overpopulation. I really cannot imagine that, given all of that, Momo was or is a good candidate for breeding.

And while its wonderful that you found all the puppies good homes, you need to recognize that that doomed an equal number of puppies in a shelter near you to euthanasia. Finally, 4.5 is not too old to get a female pregnant and is therefore definitely not too old to get him neutered. Accidents happen, while neutering him has virtually no downside - he will have slight discomfort for a few days, but, as stated in the handout I linked, it will significantly reduce his stress level from being constantly aware of any nearby female in heat and not being able to get to them. It can be done in most communities for a very small amount of money, so there really isn''t a downside there - you get a happier healthier dog, and reduce the chances of contributing to pet overpopulation...

Jaders731

Brilliant_Rock
YES... while this is still considering him getting paid his base salary.. it is DEFINITELY a start...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2943276

Finally... the NFL and the Atlanta Falcons are beginning to see what a "public relations" nightmare it would be to let him continue playing....

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
I really do understand this is very important to you AG...and I don''t mind the threadjack...just don''t want this to turn into a discussion about neutering because truly, I don''t really see what that has to do with the inhumance and horrible things that Vick and his "business" were doing to these dogs. Yes, it is an important topic, just not related IMO to animal cruelty.

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
The title of that article bothers me! "NFL, Falcons could ask Vick to focus energies in court". ...How about giving a stronger message..."NFL, Falcons could suspend Vick pending his investigation and would only allow him to come back if he''s innocent and cleared of all charges". I find very hard to believe he will be cleared given that this was going on in one of the homes he OWNS!...and he had t-shirts and hats promoting his "business".

The NFL and the falcons should really be very careful on what they say and how they say it. Most people love thri dogs much more than they love Football...

M~

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I understand being "innocent" until proven guilty. However, if they let him play and he is later found guilty - his salary should have to go to Animal Rights groups.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
that''s a good idea!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
How the heck would he be cleared of all charges? Did you see the pictures of all those dog cages and dog runs at his house?? I just don''t understand why they haven''t kicked him to the curb. Is the message they want to send is that it''s ok to torture animals??

29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Anyway, somewhat OT, I''m going to have to apologize to my mother for rolling my eyes at her whenever she freaked about my leaving Monster dog in the car while I''m in the market. (don''t worry never when it''s sunny or warm). She always said that dog fighters will steal dogs from cars either to fight with or to use as bait. But I always thought that it was an urban legend and that dog fighting was a thing of the past!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
my point exactly Indie...
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Makes me so angry seeing things like this. Normally I try not to read them as it gives me terrible nightmares and I can''t get images out of my head.

If anyone ever tried to hurt my animals or if I found them hurting any animal for that matter I would have real difficulty in not killing them. Grrrrrr.

Here in the UK, pitbulls are actually illegal.

thumbelina

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 12:39:29 AM
Author: init4thecake
I hope in jail they lock him in a cage and beat him half to death.. day after day. I am just imagining him trapped in a cell where inmate after inmate constantly terrorizes, violates and tortures him at any hour with NO hope of escape or relief. So I am going to focus on the image of him lying on a urine soaked cement floor.. both eyes swollen shut, blinding him.. jaw broken, shoulder dislocated.. lets break the clavicle and a few ribs before both knees are ripped beyond repair.. but its the shattered pelvis that is causing him the most pain until he hears another one come in and he knows they are going to flip him over and, well.. you can guess what my plans are for him next. Hmmm... just a blueprint for the animal loving inmates he may be incarcerated with. If his money keeps him out of jail, I hope it cost him every single cent he''s got and someone out there teaches him a lesson he won''t forget.

I don''t understand dogfighting at all, what a horrible abuse of animals who only want love and companionship.

Finally, how stupid to have this kind of business when you are a nationally recognized sports figure. its probably naive and silly to say, but I really hope its not true or a gross exageration. At least, for the animals sake.

If it is true, well.. you know what I think should happen to him.
I just want to go on the record as saying that I will not say or do anything to upset init4thecake.
1.gif

Seriously, though... I really do believe that this type of behavior leads to the degradation of society. People who treat animals with cruelty treat people with cruelty. It''s beyond disgusting.

At the very least, Vick should be neutered so that he isn''t allowed to reproduce!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
It is when you hear something like this that you wish there is capital punishment meted out on such people..

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 3:25:34 PM
Author: thumbelina

Date: 7/19/2007 12:39:29 AM
Author: init4thecake
I hope in jail they lock him in a cage and beat him half to death.. day after day. I am just imagining him trapped in a cell where inmate after inmate constantly terrorizes, violates and tortures him at any hour with NO hope of escape or relief. So I am going to focus on the image of him lying on a urine soaked cement floor.. both eyes swollen shut, blinding him.. jaw broken, shoulder dislocated.. lets break the clavicle and a few ribs before both knees are ripped beyond repair.. but its the shattered pelvis that is causing him the most pain until he hears another one come in and he knows they are going to flip him over and, well.. you can guess what my plans are for him next. Hmmm... just a blueprint for the animal loving inmates he may be incarcerated with. If his money keeps him out of jail, I hope it cost him every single cent he''s got and someone out there teaches him a lesson he won''t forget.

I don''t understand dogfighting at all, what a horrible abuse of animals who only want love and companionship.

Finally, how stupid to have this kind of business when you are a nationally recognized sports figure. its probably naive and silly to say, but I really hope its not true or a gross exageration. At least, for the animals sake.

If it is true, well.. you know what I think should happen to him.
I just want to go on the record as saying that I will not say or do anything to upset init4thecake.
1.gif

Seriously, though... I really do believe that this type of behavior leads to the degradation of society. People who treat animals with cruelty treat people with cruelty. It''s beyond disgusting.

At the very least, Vick should be neutered so that he isn''t allowed to reproduce!

hehe, I agree!!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
The whole thing makes me sick

perfect example that there''s really no "bad" dogs, just bad owners!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, if they fire people for things like using the "n" word or other racial slurs, surely they can fire him for this.

But if he is worth enough money I bet they won''t. Gah.

Jas: Good for your parents! I have to say I would not take in a rescue pit bull. I have owned "dangerous" breeds (Akita Inu) and if *anything* goes wrong in their breeding or development they can just become tweaky--and even a tweaky fearful dog, if it is big enough, can do some SERIOUS damage if it bites you or your other pets/someone else''s pet out of fear one day. Especially a pit bull. Our neighborhood had many irresponsible owners and Sake (our male dog) was almost killed by an off-leash pit bull one day while we were walking him. Luckily he killed the pit bull instead, but it was very scary. The dog was actually after me and my younger brother, so. We got to do quite a bit (1-2 fights a year?) of "involuntary" dog fighting in that neighborhood and it was NOT pretty.

Phib: That is crazy that people ask you those things! Do you ever worry about him getting stolen from you, esp. since he is intact?

Mandarine: I understand why you would cross the street. You have no way of knowing what the dog is trained like, who its owners are. It is a sensible reaction. I had a TINY 5 year old just patter up to me once and want to pat Sake on the nose. I would have honestly preferred that she cross the street! (his head was bigger than hers, for heaven''s sake. he just licked her face, but still. ugh.).

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
yay!!!!
I just read that and was coming over to post about it, but you beat me to it!
2.gif

I''m glad they''re at leat recognizing what a big deal this is!
M~

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot understand why some people behave like that towards an innocent animal. And I hate the a lot of these sports celebrities think they are above the law or above dealing with consequences of any sort. Gross.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Both the Vick brothers are just plain thugs. Living in VA, this story was news in May. Orginally, they said that the relative who resided at Vick''s house was acting w/o Vick''s knowledge. Further into the investigation, those involved rolled over and provided proof that Vick *indeed* was - not only aware - but also involved.

He is not being allowed to go to training camp. The Falcons have scheduled a press conference at 4:00 today. Our news said that Michael Vick will not be attending. One can only hope; but, it seems like he may get the boot all together.

Makes me sick.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought this was humorous in light of the horrific things he did. If only...

2777-hehe.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
So funny FG - here's another funny one from The Onion
11.gif

ETA: I also loved this story about an Atlanta animal shelter that was getting Vick jerseys in the mail and is using them to clean their dogs' kennels!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a good one.
36.gif
I read he''s on indefinite suspension from the NFL. About freakin'' time.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 8:04:39 PM
Author: FireGoddess
It's official. Sometimes, I hate people.
38.gif
I totally agree with you FG!!! It is unbelievable the way people figure their wants (and sick pleasures) trump other animals needs because we are at the top of the food chain. Hello!!! Do you not have a functioning brain and a shred of kindness in your heart?!?!?!

I still rage over reading about a german shepherd (years ago in Detroit), who shortly after given birth to a litter was buried with only her head above ground. She was found starving and bleeding....luckily soon enough. I also heard so many stories of beloved family pets (dogs and cats) who had gone missing and were used as bait during these dog fights.

I honestly would like to see the very same done to these human savages, as they have done to these defenseless animals.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results