shape
carat
color
clarity

The Victorian Emerald Ring That Got Away—It’s Back!! To Buy or Not To Buy???

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I’m in a hell of my own making trying to decide. To make a long story short, back in the summer of 2019 I was eyeing this gorgeous Victorian emerald ring at Grace’s, here’s the original thread:

Before I could make up my mind, the ring sold.

A few days ago (and 2+ years later), I saw the ring pop back up for sale by a different vendor.

Ring details:
-1.30 carat emerald with minor clarity enhancement (I’m sharing the original “gem and pearl lab” report and the David Atlas report from when they were posted on Grace’s website)
-12 OMC diamonds totaling .65 carats (VS1-SI2, H-I)
-18k yellow gold
-Asking price $14,000 USD

Question for group:
1. Does the ring look true to age? I would only want to buy if it’s a true Victorian piece and stone original to setting. I prefer not to buy a “Frankenstein” piece where either the stone or setting is not original to each other. Others have mentioned before that the setting and/or emerald look almost too pristine for its age? On the other hand both Grace and this current vendor are reputable vendors of antique jewelry.

2. Is the certification reputable? Should I consider sending to AGL if I were to purchase, and make purchase contingent that AGL also confirms only minor treatment of the emerald?

3. Thoughts on asking price? My personal opinion is that it may be on the higher side if looking solely at the components (emerald is nice but small, etc) but not sure if the antique status carries a premium that when added would make the asking price more reasonable?

In summary, I love it but want to make sure I’m getting a true antique and at the price that’s not too outrageous.

I’m including again Grace’s original photos. I hesitate on posting the new photos by the new vendors as I would not want it to get swiped by a lurker as I get your fine people’s thoughts in the meantime!

4E892972-96DD-47F9-A899-5DDCD7FCC6D2.jpeg A37E6E72-EEA6-47CE-840B-9DAA4536BAF3.jpeg 12972975-5506-4806-B651-185559B24A05.jpeg A4A008EC-D57D-49FD-B6C6-4E494613751B.jpeg A6EA18B9-65A8-4123-BA77-F1F9B0D3DFD3.jpeg B229054C-9602-4ECA-8FAF-C4D056F89A02.jpeg 0819F16C-1291-4E8D-A782-0AA64C3BFE16.jpeg FB3AD93A-9314-476E-AED0-332E71358580.jpeg

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and to add,

I saw a similar ring (in appearance only, do not have vital stats on the emerald but it looks possibly larger than the one in the ring I’m considering) dated 1840 sell below for around $6k by another vendor many months ago, if that’s any help to anyone out there trying to help me “date” and price the ring I’m currently considering:

08517C51-0120-4C61-AF50-8BC193DB03B2.png

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, that's a hard one. On the one hand, you've loved this ring for 2 years now. I know what's it's like to have "The one that got away" syndrome. But on the other hand, have any of your concerns changed in 2 years? The price is essentially the same. And it still feels really overpriced, to me at least.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going with my gut - and the wording in the D.Atlas report that the mounting is not antique.
I think it’s very very lovely and can see why it pulls at your heartstrings.
I didn’t look - but did JbG or the new vendor ever market it as a true period piece?
I wonder if you could call D.Atlas and (offer to pay a fee) ask him his flat out opinion?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could help.
I’m in a very similar situation,
It’s so very hard to find comps for emeralds since everything depends on color and provenance.

IMO I think it’s priced correctly only if it is truly all-original antique Colombian no-treatment.
I think @Rfisher has a great suggestion to get backup from DAtlas especially at this price point.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It’s beautiful.

how much would you regret it if it was gone? Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. I can’t comment on authenticity

can you make an offer on it? Can’t hurt to try IMO…

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@lala646 Thank you for taking the time to think through this with me. Yes, you are spot on. Same hesitations, same price. Maybe I should stick with my gut feeling!

@Rfisher So grateful for your acumen—well spotted! Yes, I’ve noticed that generally David Atlas will note the era on the report. The fact that this is omitted on the report for this ring does give me pause. From what I can remember Grace did market this as a Victorian ring, as is the current vendor. I (want to) believe both vendors are acting in good faith, and perhaps the dilemma is really with the immense difficulty in dating these pieces that even experienced vendors may disagree.

@Efleon I just popped over to look at your art nouveau ring. The ring is so gorgeous! But yes, I see you are in a similar boat indeed! Buying an emerald is hard enough (much harder IHMO than sapphires and many of the other stones), and then add on the antique authenticity criteria and the search is infinitely harder! There is no lab we can send to to verify age and authenticity/originality, hence why we are both leaning on the collective experience of highly seasoned PSers!

@Cerulean Thank you for stopping by and helping me out as always—Definitely good suggestion to make an offer as so to prevent any regrets (woulda coulda shoulda) as you can sense how much I love this piece. The dilemma is I’m not sure what price would be fair given I’m uncertain of the age of the piece…

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@lala646 Thank you for taking the time to think through this with me. Yes, you are spot on. Same hesitations, same price. Maybe I should stick with my gut feeling!

@Rfisher So grateful for your acumen—well spotted! Yes, I’ve noticed that generally David Atlas will note the era on the report. The fact that this is omitted on the report for this ring does give me pause. From what I can remember Grace did market this as a Victorian ring, as is the current vendor. I (want to) believe both vendors are acting in good faith, and perhaps the dilemma is really with the immense difficulty in dating these pieces that even experienced vendors may disagree.

@Efleon I just popped over to look at your art nouveau ring. The ring is so gorgeous! But yes, I see you are in a similar boat indeed! Buying an emerald is hard enough (much harder IHMO than sapphires and many of the other stones), and then add on the antique authenticity criteria and the search is infinitely harder! There is no lab we can send to to verify age and authenticity/originality, hence why we are both leaning on the collective experience of highly seasoned PSers!

@Cerulean Thank you for stopping by and helping me out as always—Definitely good suggestion to make an offer as so to prevent any regrets (woulda coulda shoulda) as you can sense how much I love this piece. The dilemma is I’m not sure what price would be fair given I’m uncertain of the age of the piece…

I see the dilemma. Comps are tricky. It might be a question of how much you are willing to pay versus what it’s worth (thats assuming you don’t expect to resell it in the future)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Owwwww! I feel your pain!

I don't often say this, but....

I'd pass.

It's gorgeous - no doubt about it! But it's a LOT. And if it's not a genuine Victorian ring, and if that didn't matter, you could have something very similar made for considerably less. But since that *does* matter, if this isn't truly Victorian, you'll end up with a modern ring which could have been replicated for a lot less money.

I agree - call David Atlas and straight out ask him. You've got nothing to lose by taking that step.

It's a gorgeous ring, tho.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade Thank you for weighing in! The candor/objectivity combined with experience is what makes PS a truly helpful community for folks like me navigating a difficult niche in the jewelry market.

@mrs-b Thanks for feeling my pain! I feel so at home here. Folks in real life cannot relate to our bling problems/heartache and I’m embarrassed to ask outside of PS for fear of being tone-deaf during a pandemic. I think it’s maybe telling that when given a second chance, I’m STILL hesitating. It’s like I want want want it, but some small voice tells me to hold back (again!).

Last edited:
On one hand, I feel the pain of “the one that got away” - and my TOTGA is also an emerald ring, so I feel it double!! But on the other hand, $14000 is a lot of money and (imo) significantly higher than what I’d be willing to pay for this ring. I think you could easily replicate this for a few thousand dollars if it being vintage was not that important to you. Only you can decide, and sometimes you just have to overpay for something you love! But if it were me… I would let it go. A premium of 10-15% is something I’m willing to pay, but (what I estimate as) double or more is a bit tough for me.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@Pinkmartini87 You found an excellent comp with that Romanov ring - could you contact them and see if they'll alert you to something similar coming in that's more aligned with your dream ring? I'd also figure out what you're comfortable with price wise and ask the seller to come down. You don't get if you don't ask!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just by looking at the photo of the item....red flags..something is not right.. I wouldn't. It doesn't look authentic. That patina doesn't look original or antique.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@AllAboardTheBlingTrain Thank you for your thoughts and providing a frame of reference for how you might price antique jewelry—which I find notoriously hard to do.

@Grymera Thank you for your suggestion!

@blingmeupscotty Thank you for sharing your gut feeling! Another PS member had pointed out that both the emerald and setting are in such great condition for something that’s supposedly almost 200 years old—too good to be true, or am I just paranoid? I’m nowhere as knowledgeable re pinpointing any specific stylistic features pertaining to or clueing me into the piece’s age unfortunately.

One could argue that perhaps this was just a ring that was just never really worn hence the great condition for its age—aargh!

But at the asking price I’m hesitant. Maybe if I had more $$$. But $14k is a lot of money for me personally.

Last edited:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would have to agree..if it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck..quacks like a duck..its a duck.. I highly doubt that's a 200 year old ring. But that's just me. I don't like the way the stone looks, or the color of the gold, the patina, none of it. These ps'ers are smart cookies and know their stuff. Trust your gut.. you came here for a reason and asked the experts..chances are you're right about not pulling the trigger on this one.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I would have to agree..if it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck..quacks like a duck..its a duck.. I highly doubt that's a 200 year old ring. But that's just me. I don't like the way the stone looks, or the color of the gold, the patina, none of it. These ps'ers are smart cookies and know their stuff. Trust your gut.. you came here for a reason and asked the experts..chances are you're right about not pulling the trigger on this one.
Time to duck! I think I’m not ready to put this on my bill…

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring!

"25% brilliancy" and "35% windowing" -- not great, especially for a tiny stone.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty but if it is the same ring I wonder why it’s being sold again so soon? There could be many reasons but maybe the buyer found it uncomfortable or difficult to wear in some way? I think it’s quite expensive too, given the original purchase price, I’d expect it to be a lot less.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in the Minority here… I think it’s authentic. Grace knows her stuff and lilalex, how is 1.30 a tiny stone? Lol

@Smith3 I hope your correct.
We haven’t seen the OP’s ring in person which, really, is everything.
As an example. I took my 10 carat Zambian Emerald to a local antique jewelry dealer in town who has a GIA gemologist degree and asked her to glance at my piece and give me her opinion on it.
She thinks it is all-original.
I’m not making any conclusions on my piece or on OP’s piece. I’m just saying that an in-person examination is everything.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
@Smith3 I hope your correct.
We haven’t seen the OP’s ring in person which, really, is everything.
As an example. I took my 10 carat Zambian Emerald to a local antique jewelry dealer in town who has a GIA gemologist degree and asked her to glance at my piece and give me her opinion on it.
She thinks it is all-original.
I’m not making any conclusions on my piece or on OP’s piece. I’m just saying that an in-person examination is everything.

I was just giving my opinion I agree in person best. But with covid it’s not that easy. I’m not sure what your story means. So did your turn out to be fake?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I was just giving my opinion I agree in person best. But with covid it’s not that easy. I’m not sure what your story means. So did your turn out to be fake?

She seems to think my piece is all original.
Sorry if I was not clear.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@LilAlex In case you didn’t know, I have a soft spot for your opinions and comments—you are sharp, witty, and always cuts to the chase (in a good way! Life is too short IHMO for circumventing). You tell people what they need to hear even if it’s not what they want to hear sometimes, and personally I find it invaluable and refreshing.

@Snowdrop13 Thank you for stopping by! Good point re the fast turnover.

@Smith3 Thanks! I agree Grace is wonderful to work with.

@Efleon Congrats!! I assume she’s a keeper then for you?

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not much help here but just had to say that I do love how the emerald is set into the ring. Very clever, haven’t seen that before.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex In case you didn’t know, I have a soft spot for your opinions and comments

Hahaha -- you're too kind! Gonna print this out for my kids! They live for my opinion :P2.

It can be hard to tell if a poster wants an honest critique ("help") or validation ("support"). It's a fine line and I get it wrong sometimes.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
@LilAlex In case you didn’t know, I have a soft spot for your opinions and comments—you are sharp, witty, and always cuts to the chase (in a good way! Life is too short IHMO for circumventing). You tell people what they need to hear even if it’s not what they want to hear sometimes, and personally I find it invaluable and refreshing.

@Snowdrop13 Thank you for stopping by! Good point re the fast turnover.

@Smith3 Thanks! I agree Grace is wonderful to work with.

@Efleon Congrats!! I assume she’s a keeper then for you?

@Pinkmartini87 I’m still deciding!
Where are you on your decision?
What about making an offer to your seller?!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@YadaYadaYada Agreed, the scalloped edge is very beautiful and protects the emerald well!

@lambskin Thanks!

@LilAlex I hear ya! Honesty saves everyone’s time.

@Efleon I think I’m going to go with my gut feeling and pass.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results