carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Victorian Emerald Ring

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_2294.JPG IMG_2284.JPG IMG_2283.JPG IMG_2291.JPG
Hi all,
Been eyeing this bit of eye candy for a while, but feel like the price may be too high. 1.3 carat emerald with 0.65 carat diamonds. Emerald looks quite clean!

Link: https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-00ctw-antique-emerald-and-diamond-cluster-ring

Also, no AGL or GIA report, just a valuation from David Atlas (reliable?).

Anyone's thoughts on the vendor (Jewels by Grace?)

I'm hesitant on purchasing unless I have AGL certification stating minor treatment...would it be reasonable to ask seller to get one?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Oops: price $14500

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part of the cost is in its provinence (?) being a true antique in design, material and stones. It would be extremely expensive to recreate. Like you, I will always wonder about the treatment. Dave Atlas is well respected but I would like to know more about the emerald. JbG is expensive to me but her shop caters to a specific niche.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think it’s overpriced, but, we like what we like and sometimes that’s the case. I’d ask for a AGL brief or GIA cert, esp given the price and the number of treatments that are applied to emeralds and the resulting effect on value. Even an antique emerald can be treated with colored oils or resins pretty easily—I’m fine with oiling as are most, but I’d want to know what I’m buying.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL brief will not state the level of treatment, not specify in detail what sort of filling it has.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's expensive too. One thing bugs me. The setting looks in excellent shape. As someone that buys a lot of antique pieces, it looks better than it should to me. I would expect to see more wear. Has it been refurbished? I know that JbG is a reputable vendor and I've bought there before, but if it's refurbished ( or for some reason a victorian repro) that impacts value. Just some thoughts.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
And I don't see the wear to the emerald I'd expect. Granted, it could have been scarcely worn. But I have a deco sapphire ring with old mines and the sapphire has abrasions and wear. I don't see what I'd expect for wear for a Victorian piece.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks as always to everyone for the valuable input!

@chrono I always look forward greatly to your expert opinion. Yes, I'll go ahead and ask if I can get an AGL or GIA.

@Indylady thanks for the advice! Will ask for certification and keep you all posted!

@elizat thanks for your astute observations! Yes, for a piece over 100 years old it almost looks too good, doesn't it, esp given the softness of emerald. It would matter very much to me if the piece was not all original, so I think I'll ask Grace about it nicely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results