shape
carat
color
clarity

The recipe thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:16:45 PM
Author: Skippy123

Of course he love you! You are a wonderful person! Plus you two have fun cooking together so that is wonderful! Enjoy it!
Well, yes, of course he does. But just wait til you have kids. There comes a time when you, the parent, become the most ignorant person on earth (to them), and you are NOT their favorite people.
9.gif
2.gif

I''ve heard they grow out of it, I''m still waiting...
tapping.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:25:45 PM

Date: 7/21/2007 10:25:21 PM
Author: Ellen
Thanks skippy, they really are almost like a dessert!

I''ll get youngest to help me with yours, he likes to bake.
27.gif
9.gif
Please don''t forget to tell me what you think when you make them
9.gif
I already informed him we had to make them. His eyes bugged a bit when I told him how long it took to make them. He then asked if I thought they were worth it.
9.gif

I''ll let ya know.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2007 11:26:30 PM
Well, yes, of course he does. But just wait til you have kids. There comes a time when you, the parent, become the most ignorant person on earth (to them), and you are NOT their favorite people.
9.gif
2.gif

I''ve heard they grow out of it, I''m still waiting...
tapping.gif
They will it just takes awhile. I think once they start paying bills and having kids is when it will happen that they appreciate all you have done for them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
another of my Dad's
I gain 20lbs just thinking about this one.

Peanut cake

1 ½ cup Sugar
¾ cup Shortening
2 Whole eggs
1 Egg yolk
¾ teaspoon Baking powder
2 ¼ cup Ground Spanish peanuts (reserve 1/2 c.)
1 ½ teaspoon Baking soda
1 ½ cup Sour milk
1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla
2 ¼ cup Flour

Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs. Mix thoroughly. Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture, alternating with sour milk. Beat 3 minutes. Stir in vanilla and peanuts. Mix thoroughly. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes in prepared 9 x 13-inch pan. Frost, then sprinkle with reserved peanuts.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apple Granola Snack

Ingredients:
8 oz. Fresh Sliced Apples
6 Tbs. smooth peanut butter
1 Tbs. honey
1 C granola cereal
4" bamboo skewers or sticks

Insert skewers or sticks into apple pieces.

In a small bowl, stir together peanut butter and honey until smooth.

With a spatula, spread peanut butter-honey mixture on the cut sides of each apple slice, using about 1 tablespoon for each slice.

Spread granola on a plate. Roll apples in granola. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 hour before serving.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apple Granola Crisp

Serves 6

16 ounces sliced apples (about 4 large)

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 1/2 cups granola

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan and set aside.

Place the apple slices in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Transfer the slices to the prepared pan.

Add the granola, flour, cinnamon, allspice and sugar to the bowl and mix well. Stir in the melted butter. Sprinkle the topping over the apples; do not pack down.

Bake the apples are tender and the juices have begun to bubble around the edges of the pan, about 30 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or custard sauce

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
apple crisp looks easy and YUMMY! I love apple desserts!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2007 10:00:24 AM
apple crisp looks easy and YUMMY! I love apple desserts!
Ditto, but I think I would have to have that with vanilla icecream, whipped cream AND custard sauce ( which is a huge favourite of mine!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 10:14:21 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto, but I think I would have to have that with vanilla icecream, whipped cream AND custard sauce ( which is a huge favourite of mine!)
yikes2.gif
9.gif

Skippy, I have a yummy Apple cake recipe my BIL gave me, I'll post it.

strm, thanks for the add ons, Peanut cake sounds rather intriguing...You don't mention a particular frosting, what do you guys use? Chocolate?

Also, do you grind the peanuts very fine, like powder, or just small, crumb like?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apple Cake

1 1/3 c. oil
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 c. diced apples
1/2 chopped nuts

Mix oil, sugar, eggs, and van. Beat well.

Mix dry ingredients together and add to above. Mix. (batter will be stiff)

Add apples and nuts, mix.

Bake in a greased & floured 9x13 pan for 40-50 min. at 350.

I don''t ice this one, just serve with ice cream, whipped cream, whatever you like.

Or, all of the above a la Lorelei.
9.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2007 11:40:50 AM

I don''t ice this one, just serve with ice cream, whipped cream, whatever you like.

9.gif
2.gif

yummo.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 11:44:18 AM

9.gif
2.gif
Put a bib on will ya?
25.gif

BTW, you wouldn''t have a recipe for this most desirable custard sauce, would you?
lash1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 11:14:25 AM

Date: 7/22/2007 10:14:21 AM

yikes2.gif
9.gif

Skippy, I have a yummy Apple cake recipe my BIL gave me, I''ll post it.

strm, thanks for the add ons, Peanut cake sounds rather intriguing...You don''t mention a particular frosting, what do you guys use? Chocolate?

Also, do you grind the peanuts very fine, like powder, or just small, crumb like?
vanilla usually.(white frosting with a touch of vanilla)
It can also be made into 2 pans and covered with strawberry preserve for a too die for dessert.
That is something we always did was take a basic recipe and make it different ways and with different things.
I''m was famous for it among my friends :} like my mac and cheese scrambled eggs.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 11:50:08 AM
Author: strmrdr
vanilla usually.(white frosting with a touch of vanilla)
It can also be made into 2 pans and covered with strawberry preserve for a too die for dessert.
That is something we always did was take a basic recipe and make it different ways and with different things.
I''m was famous for it among my friends :} like my mac and cheese scrambled eggs.
Now THAT''S something I never would have thought of. lol Interesting.

I wonder if choc. icing would make it taste kind of like a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup?

And um, there''s nothing wrong with experimenting, but I think I''ll pass on the mac n cheese eggs....
23.gif
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2007 11:46:26 AM

Date: 7/22/2007 11:44:18 AM

I don't ice this one, just serve with ice cream, whipped cream, whatever you like.

9.gif
2.gif
Put a bib on will ya?
25.gif

BTW, you wouldn't have a recipe for this most desirable custard sauce, would you?
lash1.gif
S'ant!! Neener neener!
11.gif

I do have receeps for this highly desirable liquid gold sauce, but it can be a PITA to make as it scares the daylights out of one by looking curdled! We normally cheat by using custard powder, but I will post a recipe anyway, back in a mo.

Just thought, in copying a recipe from a cook book, do we just credit the author and source when posting it?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 12:13:40 PM

Just thought, in copying a recipe from a cook book, do we just credit the author and source when posting it?
That sounds right.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are making me soooooo hungry.I have so many receipes want to share all, had a hard time to decide which one to post... So I choose housemade granola.Really yummy a bit time consuming to make but will last you weeks.I put them in vacu pac canisters.Keeps for a long timeEnjoy..

12cups rolled oats toast at 325 (convection) for 15 to 20 mins
2 cups cocont toast at 325 for 5 mins
Mix in a large bowl:
toasted oats,
2 cups chopped nuts and seeds ( peanuts, almonds, sunflower, hazelnuts ( whatever kind you like)
2 cups wheat germ
1teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 Teablspoon cinnamon
salt to taste
Mix 1 cup canola oil and 1.5 cups honey.
Add the oil/honey mixture to rolled oats and nuts MIXING WELL
bake ate 200 to 250 until lightly browned about 30 minutes.Remove from oven and let sit until COOLED- you want the granola to " clump " together a bit.When cool, transfer to large bowl, breaking up the granola.ADD and STIRR to mix toasted coconut , 2 cups of dried fruit-raisins,cranberries,chopped apricots,prunes ( whatever you like) ENJOY with milk , yogurt
If anyone has another granola receipe that is good please post it.The one above is the best one I found..sometimes its nice to have another equally good one for a change..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
scarleta, thanks! And post away, there''s no limit.
28.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe, we are so naughty, we will have to for sure go over to the WWT and loss weight from all this yummy apples stuff. Lorelei too w/her ice cream and other naughty fixins
11.gif
9.gif
31.gif
27.gif

Thanks Ellen, I have never made apple cake. I don't love cake but I do love apples so it might be yummy; if it is like carrot cake then I will love it! Especially w/Ice cream
18.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 1:00:31 PM
hehehe, we are so naughty, we will have to for sure go over to the WWT and loss weight from all this yummy apples stuff. Lorelei too w/her ice cream and other naughty fixins
11.gif
9.gif
31.gif
27.gif

Thanks Ellen, I have never made apple cake. I don''t love cake but I do love apples so it might be yummy; if it is like carrot cake then I will love it! Especially w/Ice cream
18.gif
Yessss.
11.gif

Oh Skippy, I forgot you weren''t a big cake fan, I knew that.
20.gif
I wouldn''t say it''s a lot like cc, but, it really is good and very moist. You could try it once and see...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 1:07:16 PM

Date: 7/22/2007 1:00:31 PM
11.gif
9.gif
31.gif
27.gif

Thanks Ellen, I have never made apple cake. I don''t love cake but I do love apples so it might be yummy; if it is like carrot cake then I will love it! Especially w/Ice cream
18.gif
Yessss.
11.gif

Oh Skippy, I forgot you weren''t a big cake fan, I knew that.
20.gif
I wouldn''t say it''s a lot like cc, but, it really is good and very moist. You could try it once and see...
Hey, I go to a family picnic each year in Sept so I think I will make it because that is apple season and I do love apples so I bet it is good. Is it like spice cake? I do like spice cake.

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
Skippy,
Your danish butter roles sound awesome! Will have to give those a try!

I have a really good recipe for R''s Rum Balls, but I only make them at Christmas! If anyone is interested I can share the recipe.

Yumm!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I should post this one for Skippy as it has hardly any oil..It is so very good
1 large eggplant
onion chopped, but larger (25cent) pieces
garlick clove chopped
ginger chopped
tomatoe chopped
mustard seeds, tumeric, salt
chopped ciliantro
Roast the eggplant over fire ( gas stove works) Use metal chapati rack( its a metal rack you put over fire
Or you can pierce the eggplant skin and put under broiler.You want the eggplant throughly cooked and the skin charred ( it will shrink in size)Let it cool first and then peel and mash it.
Heat a bit of oil ( sorry Skippy I tried hard not to use much oil) and put mustard seeds in hot oil, until they start to " dance" then put onion, garlick and ginger cook together until onion is a bit tender- NEVER BROWN.Add chopped tomatoes, keep frying on Medium heat .Add pinch of tumeric and salt to taste.They should be just tender ant not too fried.Add mashed eggplant and keep steering.When oil seperates from eggplant add chopped ciliantro.Enjoy warm or cold.Its a winner..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 1:08:52 PM

Hey, I go to a family picnic each year in Sept so I think I will make it because that is apple season and I do love apples so I bet it is good. Is it like spice cake? I do like spice cake.
Well, sort of, with the cinnamon, but not strongly flavored like one. It''s more of an apple flavor. But yeah, the best time to make it is during apple season.
18.gif

Vintage, I love rum balls, post away!

Funny story, I made them for the first time many moons ago, and had no idea how heavy handed the recipe was being with the rum.
yikes2.gif

No one could eat them, except my uncle.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too love rum balls.
18.gif
I am glad you are going to try the danish; they are wicked delcious.

Thank you Scarleta!!!
9.gif

That is funny about your rum balls Ellen; I have done that before. ehehhehe

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this salad!

Cauliflower-Lettuce Salad

3/4 c. Miracle Whip Light
1/2 c. ranch dressing
1/4 c. canned Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
1/8 c. sugar
1 can real bacon bits (or real, equivalent of)
1 small head cauliflower, cut in bite size pieces
6 c. chopped lettuce (iceberg)

For best flavor, make the dressing a day ahead. Add cauliflower several hours before serving, with the lettuce tossed in at the last minute.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen: ;I did not know that one can buy parmasan cheese in a can? Where? Does it taste any good for everything else.BTW I will try your receipe sounds yummy.I will try many more posted here.Waiting for another Granola one to show up...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 1:47:30 PM
Author: scarleta
Ellen: ;I did not know that one can buy parmasan cheese in a can? Where? Does it taste any good for everything else.BTW I will try your receipe sounds yummy.I will try many more posted here.Waiting for another Granola one to show up...
Around here, it''s usually by, but not in with, all the cheeses in the dairy case. It''s great for a lot of recipes, but not all. The flavor is a bit different from the block cheese, maybe a bit more salty. I''m posting a pic of the most popular brand around here, but I''m sure there are hundreds of brands.

Good grief, I didn''t think I''d ever find a pic that would post.
20.gif

Kraft01.jpg

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I got it now many thanks..

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
LOL! Hopefully these rumballs will be more palatable Ellen! They have a little kick, but I think its perfect! Enjoy!

Sift together in a medium bowl:
1 cup organic powdered sugar
2 Tblsp unsweetened organic cocoa

Whisk together until well blended:
1/4 cup dark rum
1/2 cup organic maple syrup
Stir into the cocoa mixture.

Crush in a food processor:
2 1/2 cups vanilla wafers (Nillas)

Mix with:
1 cup coarsely chopped organic pecans
Stir the pecan mixture into the cocoa mixture.
Roll into 1-inch balls between your palms.
Roll in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
Makes about sixty 1-inch balls.

These get even better as they age. Store at room temperature in an air tight container for up to three weeks.

pastedGraphic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results